z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Mature Content

The Progeny: Chapter 26 & 27

by MissGangamash


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

When Evie walked into the bedroom, Caius had his back to her studying the painting that hung over the bed. It was an oil painting of a farm with cornfields and cattle. Evie smiled to herself at the thought that William would have liked it, but then she shrank back in on herself as that cold wash of grief fell over her.

Curiously, he lifted his hand and brushed his fingertips over the painting, feeling the slight ridges of the paint. The grey shirt clung to Caius’ back, accentuating the rippling muscles underneath. Evie moved slightly and a floorboard creaked underfoot. Caius shot back, dropping his arm and turned to her with his eyes wide as if he’d just been caught doing something bad. When he noticed it was her, he smiled softly and swiped back a dangling piece of hair that obstructed his view.

“How was Alexander?” he asked, moving towards her.

“He’s alright. We made up.” She smiled.

“What was wrong?”

“I made him remember something from his past.” She squirmed, still feeling a little guilty. “He had a wife and a son.”

“A wife?” Caius looked perplexed.

Evie laughed a little at his confusion. “Yeah. I was a little shocked, too.”

“Huh.” He furrowed his brows and scratched the back of his head, suddenly looking awkward. “Look, about what he said. About me being like your parent-”

She held up her hand, silencing him. “Let’s just forget about that.” She thought back to the encounter between Alexander and Varsee that she had just witnessed. The closeness. The teasing. The lust. “I’ve come to realise that vampire relationships and human relationships have different rules.”

Caius sighed with relief. “Okay, good. Because I didn’t want it to get all weird between us. I’ve only just got you back.” He gave a start. “I do…have you back, right?”

She couldn’t help but smile at the terror shining in his eyes. She crossed the room and took his face in her hands. His fingers wrapped around the tops of her arms, keeping her close. His long hair fell over her cheeks and hid their faces from the rest of the world. “You have me back and I’m not going anywhere.”

He let out a large exhale of relief. Even though vampires had no need to breathe, Evie could have sworn he had held his breath as he waited for her response. His eyes swooped closed, his long eyelashes brushing his high cheekbones, and he leaned into her. She pushed herself up on her tiptoes and met his lips. As soon as their lips touched, Caius let out a gasping, urgent moan and slipped his hands to her hips. He squeezed them and drew her closer so she was pressed flush against him. Every inch of them connected. She giggled excitedly as his fingertips brushed under her vest and ran over her skin. Vampire skin was always cold and lifeless like stone, but his touch was like fire, burning into her and giving her life. She felt her insides jump as if being revived by an electrical charge. She moaned softly and splayed her fingers into his hair, feeling it curl around them, soft like silk.

Caius turned his body and sank down onto the edge of the bed. Evie fell onto him and straddled his waist. Their bodies rolled together. Her fingers left his hair and started popping open the buttons of his shirt while his fingertips ran up and down her spine. She was desperate for more contact. The feel of his skin on hers was like being touched by sunlight. She craved it in a way that she couldn’t quite fathom.

She broke the kiss and pressed her forehead to his as her fangs unsheathed. The click of them made him growl longingly and he followed suit. He exhaled, dragging the tips of his fangs across her bare throat. She extended her neck to him with a sigh as she continued to work on the buttons of his shirt.

It was when she managed to pop open his fourth button when a noise caught their attention. They both stared into each other’s eyes. She watched as Caius’ forehead creased with confusion and then both their heads snapped to the side at the sounds coming through the walls.

Evie’s eyes widened as her vampire hearing zoned in on the muffled moaning and the unmistakable sound of bedsprings.

“Is that...?”

“Alexander and Varsee.” Evie turned back to him and sheathed her fangs. “Yeah.”

“But…they’re brother and sister.”

“Vampire brother and sister. I told you, the same rules don’t apply.”

His lips started to twitch before he let out a little laugh. “Wow.”

She pressed her hands into his shoulders, pushed herself off him, and got to her feet. “Yeah.”

“Who are these people?”

Evie laughed. “I don’t know but I think we’re stuck with them.” She unbuttoned her jeans and they dropped to the floor. They had been barely hanging on to her skinny hips anyway. The vest she was wearing- Varsee’s vest -was more like a dress on her so she made the decision to wear it to bed seeing as she had no pyjamas. Caius watched her as she skirted the bed and crawled up onto the right side. Her side of the bed. No matter where they lived, she always slept on the right side of the bed. Even when she was with William.

The thought of William made her jump back to her feet and find her bag that she had placed on the chair in the corner of the room. She unzipped it and withdrew the old framed photograph that lay on top of Caius’ spare shirt. A shirt she now wanted to throw out after seeing him in what Alexander had put him in.

The backs of her eyes burned as she looked down at the picture, taken the night William had proposed to her at the Opera, arm in arm, looking as happy as every young couple should.

She turned and saw Caius stepping out of his pants, also readying himself for bed. He had already removed his shirt which he had folded neatly and placed on the floor next to his shoes. He folded his pants also then crossed the room to Evie. He looked over her shoulder to see what was in her hands.

“I thought you had left that behind.”

“I couldn’t.” She curled her fingers around the simple brass frame, tightening her grip as if it were going to jump from her hands. “It’s all I have left of him. And all you have left of her.” She looked up into his eyes. His eyebrows lifted and his lips formed a thin line.

“What do you mean?”

She smiled and looked back down at the picture, turning it over in her hands. She spun back the clasps and took off the back of the frame to reveal a small, folded square that was hidden behind the photograph. In the corner of her eye, she saw the muscles in Caius’ face tighten. She unfolded the hidden photograph and passed it to him. He took it, eyeing her face warily. She could see he was looking at her but she was focusing more on the photograph. The photograph she had seen him unfold and stare at by the bedside when he thought she wasn’t around. He would brush tears from his eyes, mutter things under his breath and run his fingertips over the broken, faded picture. He’d seen her do the exact same thing with the photograph of William night after night.

His photograph was of him and Catherine. They were both sat at a table in a white cloth restaurant. He had his face pressed to the side of hers and they were both laughing. He looked how he had that night he had Turned her. His hair was slicked back in a side parting and he was wearing a dark, three piece suit. Catherine looked beautiful. When Evie had first found the photograph, a bitter jealous rage surged up inside her. Evie had been Turned when she was twenty-three years old and had always felt like she hadn’t really grown into a proper woman. Her cheeks were still a little round and her body lacked curves. She was pretty, but in a plain sort of way. Whereas Catherine was breath-taking. Her dark hair was sleek, pinned up in a wavy bob and her face was thin and elegant.

Now when she looked at the photograph, she just felt Caius’ pain. Because she had learned to understand that Catherine was to Caius, as William was to her.

“How long have you known about it?” Caius held the photograph to his chest, as if shielding it from Evie.

But Evie just looked up at him passively. “Ever since you put it there. I don’t see why you felt the need to hide it. You knew about my photograph and you don’t mind, do you?”

He shook his head. “Of course not.”

“Then I don’t see why you expected anything less from me.”

There was that twitch in his eyebrow again. A little blip in his stoic mask.

“But our situations are different. I lost Catherine. She was killed because of me. And I took it out on you.”

Evie flinched, seeing those early months of her new vampire life in her mind’s eye.

“I had neglected you when you needed me the most. Hurt you when you didn’t deserve it. You were just a new-born.” His pale eyes started to glisten as he looked down at her. “I was so wrapped up in my guilt and depression that I took it out on you. You hated Catherine because of what she made of me. But it wasn’t her fault-”

“-It was Guardian’s,” Evie cut through him.

He gave her a melancholy smile. “It was mine.” His eyes flickered to the photograph she was holding and his eyebrow twitched again. “You had to leave him behind. You were going through your own heartbreak. I should have been there to console you.”

She remembered the nights- Caius slouched in his high armchair, his suit wrinkled and his face wan. Never moving. Never blinking. Just staring into the fire as if he were waiting for something to appear. But the only thing he had been longing for was gone.

Caius placed his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it a little before gliding to the bed and sitting on the edge of it, gazing down at the unfolded photograph in his hands. Evie watched him, sat in his underwear staring down at a picture of another woman with a pleading, sorrowful look on his pale face.

“She would have liked it here,” he said with a laugh and looked up at Evie. He nodded to her side and she turned to see three more china plates decorated with cats hung behind her head. They seemed to have taken over the whole house. “She always liked cats.”

“How many did she have again?” She turned back to him.

He smiled. “Eight.”

“You still remember all their names, don’t you?”

His smile tightened sheepishly.

She laughed. “Go on.”

“Maurice, Edward, Charles, Pickles, Jeremy, Snowball, Erin and Maisie.”

Evie rolled her eyes good-naturedly. “You’ll never forget those, will you?”

“I’m afraid they are imbedded into my memory. Just like Jeremy’s claws used to imbed into my legs.”

She laughed and crossed the room, placing the framed photograph on the nightstand. She sat down beside him, still gazing at the picture. William was the polar opposite of Caius, with his fair hair and strong, squared jaw. They were both handsome in their own way.

“We should find a frame for yours,” she said and looked down at the photograph that hung loosely between Caius’ fingertips. Because of how many times it had been folded, it had white lines running all over it and was barely holding together.

He just passed it to her without looking up from the floor. “Put it where you found it.”

She did, knowing that the memories that arose whenever he looked at it were too dreadful to experience on a nightly basis. Because bad memories cancelled out the good. Every time she saw the picture of William, she knew that were true. The first memory that hit her was always her last of him. The only bad memory in a life time of good ones. But that was the one that stuck like a tattoo on her brain.

They both crawled under the covers which were crisp and cold from the lack of use. The silence between them amplified what was going on a few doors down. Whenever Evie caught Caius’ eye, they just laughed, shaking their heads. At one point, a heavy bang -which she guessed was probably caused by a headboard smacking against a wall- made the painting above their heads crooked. Evie reached up and set it straight, only for it to drop at an angle again. So she gave up and sank her head into the expensive feather pillow. Caius lay beside her, patting down his pillow when it obstructed his view of her. She smiled at the familiar sight of his dark hair scattered around him and wrapped her arms around his bare middle, pulling him towards her. He let her and cupped his hand under the crook of her knee to hitch it up and over him. Every inch of their bodies were connected and even though they were both technically dead; two beings without a heartbeat, she no longer felt like it mattered. Because she had experienced life without him and it almost destroyed her. If he had given up; if he had just let her go; if he hadn’t come back to save her, she’d be locked up with Nico, probably wishing she was dead. Real dead.

A heartbeat is overrated. As long as she was with Caius, she felt alive.

She kissed the edge of his lips, down his throat, to his collarbone, and then rested her head against the crook of his neck. His hands slid up and down her back lulling her to sleep as she felt the daylight dragging her under.

Chapter 27

As Evie stirred, she could sense the darkness outside even before she opened her eyes. She felt herself pressed against something hard and when she finally rolled her eyes open, she realised it was Caius. Of course, she had slept in the exact same position she had drifted off in because of her vampire death-like slumber. She sort of missed waking up and wondering where the hell she was, only to realise she had just rolled over. She missed dreaming, too. Sleeping alone in that Premier Inn, she woke up knowing she had dreamt of something but only remembered fragments. She enjoyed trying to piece them together afterwards. But vampires didn’t dream, apart from Cries for Help. But they weren’t exactly dreams anyway.

Caius was awake, his fingers massaging her scalp. She closed her eyes and smiled and the tingling sensation that swam through her.

“How long have you been awake?” she murmured into his chest.

“About half an hour. I didn’t want to move you though.”

She rubbed her eyes and rolled onto her back.

“It’s because you’re a new-born again. You can only rise when the sun has fully set.”

She groaned. “I hate being a new-born.”

“At least you can stay up for longer though. Your body clock is still probably adjusting to being a vampire.”

“Well, I certainly wanted my sleep this morning.”

He smiled down at her, his pale eyes glowing in the grey-darkness of the room. With no lights on and the black-out curtains drawn, the room was probably pitch black, but Evie’s vampire vision allowed her to see everything as if it were just shrouded in fog.

“That’s probably because you’ve been through a hell of a lot,” said Caius.

Evie replayed the events of the day before and the night that followed. It was a big mess of horror and pain and suffering. She covered her eyes and swallowed back a heavy lump in her throat as the visions hit her like blows to the head.

Caius’ arms wrapped around her and held her close. His chin rested on the top of her head. “Shh, it’s okay. Everything’s going to be okay from now on.”

Evie managed to calm herself a little by pushing all those fresh memories into the back of her head. Something that vampires were able to do rather well. It was probably a coping mechanism for eternal life. She remembered how it had felt when she had Turned human again, like a wall had been pulled down and she was seeing the world for what it really was. As a vampire, you were on Earth, but there was always a nagging feeling that you weren’t a part of it. Separated from the world by some invisible force. Separated- sometimes- from your own emotions.

But it only worked to a certain degree. There was only so much a vampire could lock up and forget about. That was why Caius was the way he was, a little distant and melancholy. It was why Alexander put up his cocky front. And it was why Varsee…

Her Maker’s stormy eyes filled Evie’s mind, and the sickening vertigo she had felt when she looked deep into them. There was nothing in them. Or maybe too much. So much that it just churned up into one big messy blur.

She rolled onto her back again and Caius’ hold on her loosened. “We should go downstairs.”

“Okay.” He pulled back the covers and shifted to a seated position. Evie watched as he padded over to the huge wardrobe and started checking the clothes that hung on the rack. She pulled a face at a black and purple paisley shirt he pulled out but luckily he didn’t find it appealing either and put it back.

“Why don’t you just where what Alexander gave you last night?” offered Evie as she grabbed Varsee’s jeans from the floor.

He swatted away the suggestion, still searching. “It was too constricting. The shirt anyway. It was like a size too small.”

“But it looked good.” The tightness of it was what Evie had liked about it. The way his muscles rippled underneath like brewing waves had almost made her drool.

She saw his eyes brighten as he reached far back into the wardrobe to unhook something. This time, he pulled out a dark grey and brown stripy baja jacket. He held it up in front of him to take it all in and then smiled. Quickly, he shrugged it on and started routing through the set of drawers hidden inside the wardrobe. Luckily, the pair of dark jeans he pulled out were slim fitting and not flares. Evie rolled her eyes as she tugged on Varsee’s jeans but when she looked up and he was fully dressed, a smile crept onto her lips. He looked like himself again. Sure, what Alexander had dressed him up in was great, but it wasn’t him. Not anymore, anyway. Now, the man stood in front of her with his long shaggy hair still ruffled from sleep and bare feet, was the man that she had woken up to for a hundred years.

His pale eyes slowly fluttered to her and his thin lips broke into a smile when he noticed her beaming back at him. He tugged on the hem of the jacket with a shrug. “It’s comfy.”

Evie looked down at the jeans she was wearing- the ones that drowned her and made her walk like she was wearing flippers. “I think I’ll have to raid Varsee’s wardrobe for something else.”

After rolling up the bottom of her jeans to prevent falling flat on her face, Evie and Caius made their way downstairs. Evie could hear voices in the hall coming from the kitchen and suddenly felt very awkward at the prospect of facing Alexander and Varsee after overhearing their rather private and rather energetic escapade the night before. Sucking back the feeling, she ploughed onwards with Caius strolling along beside her. Evie had run a brush through her hair to look presentable but Caius hadn’t followed her lead so his mane still looked feral.

She pushed the kitchen door open and saw Alexander perched on a wooden chair at the dining table with his back to her. He also had a bed-head, his hair curling slightly at the tips. Draped over his slender form was a black silk kimono with a pattern of lotuses climbing up the sleeves. Nestled in his hands on the table was a steaming cup of, what she guessed was blood.

“Sleep well?”

Evie jumped and shifted her eyes to Varsee who was leaning against the kitchen counter holding a steaming mug of her own. Unlike her brother, she was fully dressed and looked completely fresh faced and radiant. Her blonde hair was curled out from her face and she was wearing a simple olive green blouse, navy figure-hugging jeans and black thigh high boots. She was smiling at Evie, awaiting a response.

“Yeah. Yeah. I did. Thanks,” she hurried with a smile.

At the sound of her voice, Alexander turned around. His eyes completely bypassed her and raked Caius up and down, his lip curled up a little with revulsion.

“What the hell are you wearing? You look like a nineteen-eighties hippie. And not I a good way. If there even is a good way.”

Caius shrugged and took the chair opposite him, unfazed by the remark. “I found it in the wardrobe.”

Alexander’s eyebrow arched. “You mean Mr. Braverman’s wardrobe? What was wrong with what I put you in? Y’know, I give and I give. I worked hard on making you look good and what do I get in return?” He threw Caius a sweeping gesture. “I’d like my shirt back.”

Caius’ eyes were on the table, distant and resigned as always. “That’s fine.”

Alexander looked over his shoulder at Evie. “Seriously, what do you see in this guy?”

She bit back a smile and crossed over to Caius’ side of the table, brushing her hand across his shoulder blades before sitting down beside him. He looked to her and offered her a soft smile as she took his hand and squeezed it, gazing into his eyes.

“God, you guys are sickly.”

“Would you like a drink you two?” asked Varsee, her voice noticeably louder to try and drown out her brother.

“That would be great, thanks,” said Evie, and Caius turned to Varsee with a nod.

Varsee nodded back and opened the fridge.

“Well.” Alexander stretched his arms above his head, making the sleeves of his kimono drop to his shoulders. His arms were thin yet laced with muscle and when he stood up, Evie noticed that so was the rest of him. His kimono- that had been loosely pulled together with a silk cord- fell open, revealing his bare torso and matching silk pants. His silk pants hung low, revealing the V of his hips.

His body reminded her of a greyhound. The way he seemed to be made up of just muscle and bone. There was no extra fat on him at all. And yet, even though he was slim, Evie couldn’t help but sense the power radiating from him.

When Evie glanced upwards, she did a double take and then felt her cheeks burning as a grin cracked on Alexander’s lips, filling his angular face. He lifted his mug to his lips, gave her a cheeky wink and glided out of the room.

Varsee swooped in and took his seat, placing two mugs of blood on the table, snapping Evie back to attention.

“Thank you,” said Caius as he took the mug nearest to him. Evie did the same and took a sip. She winced and coughed at the burning sensation in the back of her throat.

“What’s in this?” she wheezed.

Varsee smiled. “I put a little bit of rum in it, hope you don’t mind. It’s what Alexander and I do to start the night.”

“Gives it a kick,” said Caius, eyeing up the contents of his mug appraisingly.

“It sure does.” Varsee smiled, flipping her long blonde curls over her shoulder. Then her eyes widened with realisation and she hid her face with her hands. “Oh God. I’m so sorry about last night. The noise.” She dropped her hands and sent the two vampires a queasy, bashful look. “It just sort of…happened. And we’re not used to having guests.”

Caius ducked his head, letting his long hair shield his face. Evie could feel her face flushing at the memory but also found it amusing that she was embarrassed. “It’s fine,” she said finally through a laugh.

Varsee still looked a little pale and awkward on the other side of the table. She fiddled with her fingers and stared down at them as if they were fascinating. “I just didn’t want you to think that we were like animals that had to jump each other’s bones every moment we’re alone together. Because we’re not.” Her head flipped back up, making her curls fly over her shoulders. “We can be good hosts.”

“I don’t doubt it,” said Evie, still not being able to shake off the awkward laughter in her tone. Caius, not being any help at all, just nodded with his eyes still casted downwards.

“Sis, I’m ready!” Alexander called from the living room.

Varsee’s eyes sparkled and she straightened on her chair. “Great, I can stop babbling on.”

Evie furrowed her brows and gave Caius a sideways look. “What’s going on?”

Varsee got to her feet. “You might want to save that blood for after.” She waved towards the door. “C’mon.”

“After what..?” Evie was starting to feel uneasy as she got to her feet at her Maker’s sudden shift from embarrassment to casual ease. She couldn’t help that the earlier conversation was just a way to stall them.

Varsee was already pushing her way through the door. “You’ll see. Stop asking questions and just follow me.”

Caius’ chair dragged across the tiled floor. He tucked his hair behind his ear and Evie caught the apprehension on his face.

Who are these people?

Caius headed towards the door and Evie fell into a step behind him. He paused for a moment before shoving it open. Evie went to follow but ended up crashing into his back. She moved to step around him but he stuck his arm out, preventing her from moving any further.

And then she realised why.

In the centre of the floral room stood Alexander in an oversized grey knitted jumper, tight leather pants and thick black boots. He had his back to them, his blonde hair mussed from running his hands through it too many times. And in his hands were two pistols.

Evie’s fingers dug into Caius’ side as she frantically searched for Varsee. She was stood by the stairs in the open-plan room, facing her brother, watching him with a soft smile as he felt the weight of the guns.

“What’s going on?” asked Caius, his usual soft voice uncharacteristically sharp.

At the sound of his voice, Alexander spun around and Caius pressed his arm harder against Evie’s chest protectively. But Alexander just smiled, the guns dangling limply by his sides. “Welcome to the party.”

“Varsee?” Evie looked back to her Maker for some sort of explanation.

“Caius, stand on the other side of Alex.”

“Not until you tell us what is going on.” He turned his head to Varsee.

“We need to test this bond you two share. To see just how strong it is.”

He dropped his arm from Evie and started to stalk across the room towards Varsee, his back up and his hands curling into fists.

Alexander stepped in front of him, blocking Caius’ path to his sister and started motioning him backwards with one of his guns. Alexander nodded with a smile but with his eyes dark and devious when Caius started stumbling away.

“There.” Alexander positioned him before the sofa and back stepped to where he was originally stood. Now all three of them stood in a line, about five feet apart from each other. Alexander’s head flipped to both of them, his blonde hair slapping his cheeks, and the raised both guns with his arms stretched out completely. Varsee’s chin lifted and her body seemed to tense all over as her brother trained his gun just below her heart. But her eyes were blank.

On the other side, Caius tried to back away and smacked the back of his legs against the side of the sofa, his hands waving in front of his chest.

“What the hell are you doing?” Evie looked between them, her eyes wide and her brain whirling.

“Got these from some of those vampire hunters I killed. Wooden bullets. I’ll dodge your heart so they won’t kill you but they hurt like a bitch,” said Alexander, a dark grin cracking his lips as he looked down his outstretched arm to the gun pointing at Caius.

“You’re going to shoot them?” Evie’s fingers tangled into her vest. It was a strange sensation, to be terrified as a vampire. Your heart didn’t bash against your ribs. Sweat didn’t bead on your brows. You didn’t tremble.

But her head felt foggy and her nerves felt like they were been stretched out dangerously thin. She felt the need to gasp for breath as a sob longed in her throat.

“I sure am. But you can save one of them.” Alexander’s blue eyes flitted to her. “You just need to choose who.”

Caius. Of course it’d be Caius. She loved him. She had spent a hundred years with him. Her life was nothing without him.

But then her eyes started slowly drifting to Varsee, her new Maker. The blonde vampire must have felt her gaze because her lips curved into a smile as she started hopping from foot to foot, readying herself for a bullet in the chest.

Evie suddenly felt that tug stronger than ever, like Varsee had lassoed her and was dragging her towards her. Caius fell to the back of her mind as if he were just a person in a dream she was slowly waking up from, forgetting.

The feeling made her shudder and she snapped her attention back to him. He looked stiff and dark and fearful as his pale eyes fell on her. The skin on his face was pulled tight and he seemed to have sunken in on himself as he watched her.

Caius, of course I’m going to save Caius, she repeated in her head, trying to sound as confident as she could to block of the doubt brewing in the back of her mind.

“You look conflicted.”

Evie shot Alexander a glare. His eyes smiled at her over his shoulder and then he shifted his body a little, widening his stance. “You better make your mind up quick,” he said as he pulled back both the hammers with his thumbs.

“I’ve made up my mind,” she snapped back.

“Okay. Good.”

Then he fired.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:13 am
megsug wrote a review...



Ay~ Let's see if I can finish this up by Review Day...
These reviews are so long, so I'm just going to read the chapter, and review it myself. I'm sorry if I repeat anything, but if I do maybe it's more than one person's opinion ;)


Chapter 26
So, I'm sure that these feelings about Catherine and William are vital to your story because everything you write is for a reason, but this on the tail of Alexander's sob story is a lot of vampires being sad because their pasts are so tragic. And we've been introduced to Evie's and Caius' grief before. This would have been cute within a bigger scene about something more than their backstories. As it is, this is backstory on top of backstory which is just dull. And it's not the same as a "slow story."

Also, Chapter 26 could easily be tied into Chapter 25.

This isn't so much a critique as a reaction, but nooo! Evie is back on that destructive route with Caius! It's so weird how I want them to be together, but I also want them to be separated because both of their world views are so warped by each other.

Chapter 27
Aight. I'm happy with this chapter. The double bond thing is new and fresh and interesting. I like that we've returned to explore it some more.

You've got another cliffhanger here, and at this point it's becoming a gimmick rather than a tool. You've overused it. Just continue scene. Don't make us turn the page to see what happens. This scene is good enough to keep the pages turning without this.

It's one thing to use a cliffhanger once or twice. You use it every five chapters practically. It gets predictable after a while. I think I mentioned that in an earlier review as well.

The other thing is how much description of clothing and physique you have in the beginning of the chapter. Description is great, and I love to be able to see characters in my head, but you have one description after another after another after another, and by the time you go in detail with Alexander, I'm bored. You've had other chances to describe what they all look like, and we don't need to have an exact picture of what their outfits are. You could be more general and be just fine. Then the hyperfocus on Alex would be more obvious and striking.

I'm excited to see who Evie picks or is forced to protect.

Onward.
Megs~






I'll have a look over these chapters because I haven't for a while to proper look into your points. But the reason Evie and Caius' backstories are coming out of the woodwork is because Alexander has brought up his own tragedy and that had Evie thinking about hers.

I like that you are conflicted about Caius and Evie's relationship. It is not a simple one! It's messed up but it sort of works at the same time...

I have started smushing chapters together. The reason they are broken up on this is because people don't like long chapters. So a lot of the cliffhangers are not in the centre of chapters. I think I've only been left with one up to this point.

I do get a little carried away with descriptions of characters because they are so precise in my head, I'll try to tone it down.



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:39 pm
View Likes
Sonder wrote a review...



Hey Ganga. I am so so sorry for taking forever and ever to review this. Life has been really rough lately and YWS sort of took a back burner. I'm very thankful that Aley gave you a review as well, because I agree with many of her points. I hope you'll forgive me and I promise that I'll keep up with this in the future!
Although, I do have one suggestion. For future reference, could you post each chapter separately? I know that points make it difficult to do that, but it's a lot more daunting to review two chapters at once than just one. That added a bit to why I took so long. It's a ton of content to tackle, and I feel that for your benefit, by posting separately you'd get better feedback. But anyway. Onto the long-awaited review. >.<

I'll just go through my nitpicks from throughout both chapters and then tackle content. :)

Caius had his back to her studying the painting that hung over the bed.
I would add a comma after "to her".

...swiped back a dangling piece of hair that obstructed his view.
Is explaining that the hair obstructed his view necessary? I assume that because he is swiping at the hair, it was bothering him somehow, so this could probably be removed.

The feel of his skin on hers was like being touched by sunlight.
I found this comparison odd. Sunlight is so plainly deadly to vampires, so...not pleasant whatsoever? Was it a horrible burning or the pleasant warmth that humans feel? Perhaps clarify or use a different figure of speech.

She was pretty, but in a plain sort of way. Whereas Catherine was breath-taking.
As Aley mentioned, there were some sections of this that felt pretty choppy. I would either combine this sentence or find a way to make it flow better. :)

Evie had run a brush through her hair to look presentable but Caius hadn’t followed her lead so his mane still looked feral.
A comma or a period is need here. Currently this is a run-on sentence.

Nestled in his hands on the table was a steaming cup of, what she guessed was blood.
The comma here isn't needed and makes the sentence have an awkward break.

And not I a good way.
Typo. I'm guessing "I" should be "in".

“Seriously, what do you see in this guy?”
Ugh Alex is so annoying at this point! I felt that this was a little too far, because he's literally known Caius for a day. How can he judge him on his clothing choice? I don't know if you meant this to be more joking, but either way, it seemed a little too mean for Alex's normal teasing. Perhaps you meant it that way, but I'm not sure.

She was stood by the stairs in the open-plan room, facing her brother, watching him with a soft smile as he felt the weight of the guns.
Grammar and a run on. "Was stood" should be "She stood" or "was standing". Either separate the sentence into two or remove something to make it less choppy. :)

Alexander nodded with a smile but with his eyes dark and devious when Caius started stumbling away.
Again, I felt that there was too much packed into this sentence. An action from Alex. A description of his eyes. An action of Caius. It was one too many things for one sentence. Separate or cut.

She felt the need to gasp for breath as a sob longed in her throat.
Did you mean for "longed" to be "lodged"? It currently doesn't make sense.

As I said earlier, Aley's review was insanely in depth and had many of the points I would have given. I may have repeated a few, because I know you're waiting to edit it up later, so sorry for that! A few comments on the plot itself.

Chapter 26
To be honest, this chapter didn't seem to have much purpose other than a) exposing some background and b) have some romantic-ness that frankly made me a bit uncomfortable, but hey, that's just my personal opinion of physical romantic descriptions. The whole thing with Varsee and Alex is kind of weirding me out, even though I understand how it works. XD But regarding the chapter as a whole, I felt that it could have been cut, and a quiet moment in which Evie reflects her past could have covered the angst and regret involving her and Caius's past partners. I know that it is good to have slower chapters to give the reader a break from the action, but the past few chapters with Varsee and Alex have been considerably slow, and I felt that this chapter went a bit too far with the pause, if that makes sense.

Regarding the new backstory information, I find it curious how little I knew about William before these past few chapters, and how Evie continues to grieve him after a century. I know that you withheld information for the sake of plot, but perhaps it was withheld to the point of unrealistic. We've followed Evie this whole time, surely something in the world would have reminded her of William before the painting in the bedroom after she conveniently spilled her backstory? I have no idea if I'm making sense, but in short, I think that perhaps William should have been mentioned more before this point.

Chapter 27
Yay! Action again! I'm intrigued once again about what will happen in the next chapter, but my nitpicks regard what happens before this scene. Why does sitting in the kitchen and observing Alex's kimono hold any importance whatsoever? Other than the awkwardness regarding Varsee's apologies for the night before, does that scene tie in much at all? I wouldn't think so, because as soon as the reader settles in for some conversation in the kitchen, we're following Alex into the confusion of loyalties being tested. I personally think that the kitchen scene could have been mentioned in passing, and skip straight to the tension with Alex holding guns. Or better yet, have Evie and Caius come down the stairs to find Alex with the weapons, to catch Evie even more off-guard?

Despite this, I really am interested in what will happen, and how Evie will react. I am confused as to why Alex is so sure he won't kill Varsee or Caius, considering how difficult it is to hold two guns at once, aim, and keep balanced while shooting. Also, why doesn't Caius just run away and grab Evie? Or vice versa? They've gone through so much together, why is she simply standing there while he has a gun aimed at his chest?

So overall, while I really enjoyed the end of the final chapter, I also felt that much of these two was filler. While the writing was good and the character development remains steady, I also felt that the plot slowed for too long.

I know that this review is all over the place and I'm apologize for that, and for taking so so long to get to you. I hope you can forgive me, and thank you for your patience. I look forward to the next chapter! :)

Keep writing and being amazing!

~Night






Hello! Thanks for finally reviewing! Haha

I'll sort out all those nit-picks, thanks for pointing them out!

Chapter 26 was to focus on Evie and Caius rekindling their relationship and reflecting on their lost ones. It was to show that there are no hard feelings between them about them both holding onto the love for Catherine and William. And to also explain why Varsee and Alexander are not your typical brother and sister haha. And the part that you thought was too harsh for Alexander, by the reaction or - well - lack of reaction from the other characters, it wasn't meant in a mean way, he just has a borderline insulting sense of humour haha.

Evie has constant reminders of William, maybe you have forgotten them because you haven't read through the chapters continually but he has been mentioned every now and again in the other chapters. Evie often picks up on things that he would have liked, or things that remind her of him. I'm holding back on some stuff though for the prequel.

The kitchen scene was just to kind of be the lull before the action, to make it seem like everything was going well before Alexander pulls out the guns. And Alexander's a vampire, it may be difficult for a human to aim to guns at once but vampires are pretty nifty with things. Caius stays where he's told to because he's curious too. He wants to know what Evie will do for the same reason Varsee does. How far has Evie really strained from him?

Thanks for the review again! :D



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:23 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey MissGangamsh,

Aley here to review this ancient piece, sorry it took so long to get a review on it! To make up for it, I'm going to go through and tell you what I think of your writing with every point I see, which means this is going to be long because I want to give you the most bang for your buck, not that you spent anything. Please bear with me and read in several sittings. I'm going to start with things I liked, and after that, go into quotes and things about those quotes that I think you could use improvement on. I will probably not repeat myself too much, but if I say it about one sentence, you can probably relate it to other parts of the novel as well. I can't do all the work [don't have the time] so get ready for a lot of reading!

To start, you have a lot of parts of this that are really well written. I like the flow that you've got and you seem to have a very good grasp of the story and plot you're going for. Seeing as I've only read these two chapters, I don't have much I can say on that. You have a good idea of when to start and end chapters. They seem to contain a unit of something that's going to climax and resolve in the center of the chapter to make it a unit that could stand on it's own, and you seem to be resolving the conflicts you put in the beginning of the story with something to continue making the story interesting and not already over. So all of that is great.

Now I'm going to go into the nit-picky stuff I found reading line by line in your story. This is the long part.

"Evie smiled to herself at the thought that William would have liked it, but then she shrank back in on herself as that cold wash of grief fell over her."


In this section you have a few things going on which could use some immediate improvement with the way that you're writing the sentence. First off, the bolded sections are things that are not necessary, they're prepositional phrases which are added on with no real value to the sentence. You can clean the sentence up nicely by just simplifying it "Eva smiled, William would have liked it. She shrank as cold grief fell over her." Simpler, cleaner, and you take out a lot of added words which the reader is going to find useless in the end anyway. What does "to herself" have to do with anything? Can't she just smile? She doesn't need to smile at anyone. She can just smile. The next one, "at the thought" is adder too because we don't need to know that the thought is what she's smiling about, it's obvious since it's in the same sentence. Next comes the thought, you can either separate this with a comma, make it italics to actually be sharing her thoughts, or even separate it into it's own section. Having "but then" sort of is a way to make a past tense thing seem like present tense, which gets in the way. It's sort of like saying "The dog went on his walk beautifully but then it started raining" which does create a complex sentence but the phrase is more of a present tense thing, "The begins to finally walk beautifully but then it starts to rain and they run for cover." We don't need a play by play in past tense, so just move on to a new sentence and add the new thing in that new sentence. "Evie shrank back" and now I have two things to say.

First, you're telling us she shrank back but you can show that better by describing what you would consider someone shrinking back as. In the example I gave earlier, of the dog walking, you can probably imagine one way for the dog to walk beautifully while I would imagine another. One way to make something more real is to describe things in more exact detail. The dog finally walks with his nose parallel to his leader's heal, his head up, and his tail relaxed at a bouncing step is how I would describe "walking beautifully" and it's going to be a better way to say it. The reason I say this is because of shrank. You say she shrank back, but what does that mean? Does that mean she stepped back and buckled her shoulders forward into her chest collapsing her ribs? Does that mean she actually changed size? Does it mean her smile faded? How would you actually describe this to someone? Basically what I'm looking for is a more exact way to describe "shrank back" so that it's no longer an obscure message and is more direct.

The next part is "in on herself" which, like I was saying earlier, is sort of unnecessary for writing. It's filler words. You don't need it. It makes the sentences feel longer, encourages skimming in a reader, and pulls readers out of a story for longer. Most published novels that are considered classics don't bother with propositions like this because it's slow and repetitive. It's sort of like training wheels on a car that has four tires and a good driver in the summer when nothing is going wrong. There's no need to have them in and it just gets in the way.

But that's not all! There's more. The last thing I want to talk with you about is the "cold wash of grief" which "fell over her" because while I didn't bold this, I think there's something you're trying to do here which doesn't quite make it to the stage. I think you need to spend a little more with things like this because right now it comes off as attempting to be poetic, without really going for it. You've got a lot of verbs in that sentence. "smiled, thought, have, shrank, wash, fell" all verbs. Very complex sentence, which is fine, but if you break apart the last part you're looking at two things, more prepositional phrases, with an attempt at making it relatable through something that seems, to me, very cliche. The reason I say this is because when I feel grief, I don't really describe it as a cold wash, but at the same time, I have seen a lot of times when it is described this way. Because of this, I think you're using someone else's idea of what grief feels like and adopting it for yourself, when really, I'd love to encourage you to find your own way of describing it. That's poetic. That's something that can be beautiful and original. We don't need to read the same description of grief every time so describe it like you would getting sick, or realizing you're going to vomit, pick a moment in your life and capture that moment then add it to your story because I think that's really going to make this novel stand out over other novels for the writing. That's how you get away from not even realizing you're using something everyone else says, and really make it a part of yourself.

"feeling the slight ridges of the paint."


This is an oil paint and I'm not sure what you're aware of for oil vs acrylic but I'm here to tell you as a painter myself. When you're working with oil paint, it can be very difficult to end up with ridges in an oil paint because oils take a lot longer to dry so if there are ridges in an oil paint it's because they had a lot of time to let it dry without mixing the paints together. A lot of the time this doesn't really happen in oils all over the place. There can be some parts, like I said, where they glop on paint to get a color, but mostly oils are a lot smoother than acrylics. Not sure if this even matters to the story, just thought I'd share. If it's an older painting it would definitely be oil, but again, it takes a long long time for oils to dry. They dry to the touch, but not much else for a very long time, like years long time.

"'I do…have you back, right?'"


Oh ellipsis, my old enemy. So while I do see that you're using an ellipsis like people do in chat, I just have to comment, usually this would be better suited as a comma. Commas are more professional than ellipsis because ellipsis traditionally only mean a lack of something that should be there. so if he was going to say something like "I do love you" and instead changed it to "I do have you back" then you could show his lost thought by the ellipsis but that doesn't seem to be the case here! Here, it seems like you're just using it to pause, which a comma is made for. Commas are made for pausing like boots are made for walking. So are hyphens. "I do- have you back, right?" that's also more traditionally acceptable. Ellipsis started getting more and more popular for pauses after the internet came out and text talking has come around, which is one of the reasons as it can be seen as less professional to use it as a pause.

"His long hair fell over her cheeks and hid their faces from the rest of the world."


So with some experience in real world situations with long hair, um, this would be really unappealing. the whole, hair falling over her cheeks thing. Hair is unruly at best so it would so be going up her nostrils and getting stuck in her lips, and not falling over her cheeks. She would be tickled and potentially be eating his hair no matter what you do. Consider all the strands of hair you lose a day, and at least a few of those are going to end up on her face, so un-romantic.

" He squeezed them and drew her closer so she was pressed flush against him. Every inch of them connected. She giggled excitedly as his fingertips brushed under her vest and ran over her skin. Vampire skin was always cold and lifeless like stone, but his touch was like fire, burning into her and giving her life. She felt her insides jump as if being revived by an electrical charge. She moaned softly and splayed her fingers into his hair, feeling it curl around them, soft like silk."


Again, a couple things. First thing first, vampire ice thing. Just about everyone knows that vampires are supposed to have cold skin, we're 26 chapters into your novel, if you haven't said this before, you really should have and you don't have to repeat it here. The whole fire thing, sure sounds fun. I don't mind that, but what I do mind is read this and tell me what he's doing during this whole time?

This is something that bothers me in a lot of romantic scenes in books. We get one side of the picture. A good romantic book will show you more than just how she's reacting, but also how she's seeing him react too. Don't just stop at what she's feeling, but go into how he is looking like he's feeling too. It's going to take longer, and you probably will have to traid out some of what she's feeling for how he's reacting, but it's good because right now you only have her making sounds at all, and that's not good. It's sort of like she's responding to a dead fish, not appealing. Men so totally make noises too, and if a girl isn't getting noises in response to her own, she's bound to lose interest because it becomes awkward really quick.

"The backs of her eyes burned as she looked down at the picture, taken the night William had proposed to her at the Opera, arm in arm, looking as happy as every young couple should."


Yes, this is so much better than the description of grief.

"He looked how he had that night he had Turned her."


I know you're probably not going to want to hear this, but I don't think Turned is a good way to go. You probably made an executive choice to capitalize it all the way through, but there are a few things wrong with that according to English. First, it's a verb. That's the biggest thing. Currently it's a verb that requires a direct object, but it's still a verb and traditionally verbs are not capitalized unless they begin a sentence. Instead of capitalization, if you want to make it a special verb, you can use italics. That's going to set it apart and still keep with the typical way of writing. Otherwise I finally started to fall into the story at this point, I like this section about the past lovers.

"seeing those early months of her new vampire life in her mind’s eye."


Again, it feels like you're trying to be really poetic about something that doesn't need to be. That while thing is just a complicated way to say "remembered." We have a word for it, use it. "Evie flinched, remembering."

"So she gave up and sank her head into the expensive feather pillow."


This use of So is really unnecessary. It's a transition word that connects two sentences as one single sentence, here you have it starting a sentence which is just unnecessary. It's not a word like "However" it's more of a word like "And" so when you use it, it should have a sentence before and after it or some semblance of the same. "She gave up and sank her head into the expensive feather pillow" is perfect.

"Every inch of their bodies were connected ..."


This is actually a physical impossibility, and you've used it twice. I mostly play in poetry, so that bothers me a lot. I'd suggest never using the phrase again, come up with something else.

"Evie replayed the events of the day before and the night that followed. It was a big mess of horror and pain and suffering. She covered her eyes and swallowed back a heavy lump in her throat as the visions hit her like blows to the head."


You have too much here. You really don't need to remind the reader of everything she's been through with a vague overview of nothing special, instead, just show us her reaction. "Evie covered her eyes and swallowed back a heavy lump in her throat as the visions hit her like blows to the head." If you want to replay anything, then actually walk us through it with exact things that we might not have heard about the first time around, like her thoughts about a particular event specifically and make them change because she's had time to reflect.

"Evie managed to calm herself a little by pushing all those fresh memories into the back of her head. Something that vampires were able to do rather well."


The second sentence in this is not a full sentence, it's a fragment. it should just be attached to the sentence before it with a comma or a semi-colon, but don't use a semi-colon now unless you want to go back through and add them into the rest of the novel.

"Evie managed to calm herself a little by pushing all those fresh memories into the back of her head, something that vampires were able to do rather well." or "Evie managed to calm herself a little by pushing all those fresh memories into the back of her head; something that vampires were able to do rather well."

“'Why don’t you just where what Alexander gave you last night?'”


Wear, not where. Where is a place, where do you want to go? Wear is to have something on. The dog can wear his shoes outside. The cat wears his pelt. The human can wear the skin of other animals.

“It was too constricting. The shirt anyway. It was like a size too small.”


You've got a good cadence for speaking, but not for how to type it. Too many periods, not enough real sentences. "It was too constricting-the shirt anyways-it was like a size too small." This is a more old fashioned way to put things in like that side comment or you can just use commas: “It was too constricting, the shirt anyway, it was like a size too small.” or you can use a comma and a period. "It was too constricting, the shirt anyway. It was like a size too small."

Quickly, he shrugged it on and started routing through the set of drawers hidden inside the wardrobe.


Routing is like the train's routing system. Rooting is the word you're looking for. from google: Rout: verb
gerund or present participle: routing
defeat and cause to retreat in disorder.
"in a matter of minutes the attackers were routed"

From Dictionary.Com to find the proper use I'm looking for, Rooting: root 2 (ro͞ot, ro͝ot)
v. root·ed, root·ing, roots
v.tr.
1. To turn up by digging with the snout or nose: hogs that rooted up acorns.
2. To cause to appear or be known. Used with out

"Evie had run a brush through her hair to look presentable but Caius hadn’t followed her lead so his mane still looked feral."


This made my inside voice laugh, that's good. You don't need anything else anywhere on this day about their hair, take out the stuff about his hair earlier. the whole "shaggy hair still ruffled..." stuff, just take it out, it's described so well by this, you don't need it.

"and saw Alexander perched on a wooden chair at the dining table with his back to her."


Spoiler! :
Image


This is how I see "perched on a wooden chair" despite L's chair not being wooden. I'd suggest you use a different descriptor, but other people might not see this. I recently had a Deathnote marathon.

Her blonde hair was curled out from her face and she was wearing a simple olive green blouse, navy figure-hugging jeans and black thigh high boots.


Unless this is a book about fashion, you don't have to tell us what she's wearing exactly, it's too much detail for no reward. Just tell us if she's wearing something that's going to matter later in the story like if her simple olive green blouse is helping her blend in to the surrounding foliage, then tell us it's a green blouse, no need to tell us otherwise. If you do, it just becomes obnoxious. Also with the hair color and stuff, same thing. You really don't have to tell us every time what their hair color is. If we don't remember, we don't remember. We can go back and look for it. Tell it to us once in the story and never say it again unless it matters during that scene, like if the blonde hair is going to blind us like the sun.

"And not I a good way."


Not in a good way.

"...brushing her hand across his shoulder blades before sitting down beside him."

Shoulder blades are down in the upper back, so she'd have to be reaching down between him and the back of the chair to do that. Are you saying our boy is hunching forward or do you just mean shoulders?

"His kimono- that had been loosely pulled together with a silk cord- fell open, revealing his bare torso and matching silk pants. His silk pants hung low, revealing the V of his hips."


This should be the first place you mention he is wearing nothing but a kimono-like thing. You might also want to change it to a robe or a "westernized kimono" because a real one wouldn't be something easy to do this with. Too many parts and they're really only meant for high class situations, like an outer shell of an old english dress.


Alright! So now that I've gotten to the bottom of your story, I really like most of it. I would suggest, overall, work on making things more unique to you when you're writing. Take out most prepositional phrases that you don't need like "to herself" and things like that and you should be loads better on that end of things. You can also use editing apps like the Hemingway app, which is a really cool website that can help point out things you're doing which you shouldn't be to get the best use out of your words. Here's the url to that: http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ Aside from that, finish this up! It sounds like all of your conflict is really over since you're having them do love tests without any real danger of death. I mean, it seems odd that he would just shoot them for a test like this because he's not going to let his sister die, she is his playmate in the middle of the night. That's just not going to happen, which means the logical thing to do is save one of them and he'll save the other one and there's no problem there. I mean, come on, he's their friend of some sort, so I don't see why she's so caught up on this. They even told them it's a test. That's cheating in my opinion, and takes away a lot of the stress you could have put into this scene.

Overall, I actually managed to get through this which is rare when I'm reading chapters. You have some really good parts of the story [the parts where I'm not commenting on things above] and although you have a couple basic errors like I vs in, you're really doing well at writing this. Keep it up!

Aley






Thanks for the very thorough review! I'll have a look over all your pointers :)

The ending is not a test of love, it's a test of loyalty. You haven't read the other chapters so I understand your confusion. But what Varsee and Alexander are testing is something Evie cannot control. She is in love with Caius but Varsee is her Maker, meaning that she has a very strong bond with her as well. The point of Alexander shooting at both Varsee and Caius is to see what Evie's instincts will have her do - protect her love or protect her Maker? It's a pretty big deal. They need to know what would happen if they were both in real danger.

And about Alexander being 'perched' on the chair, that picture is exactly what I meant haha. He doesn't really use furniture properly...

Thanks for reading and reviewing! I know how difficult it is to read something that's already half way through so kudos to you for sticking to it! Haha.

I have actually written all of this novel already, I'm just going through editing it and I didn't want to upload any more chapters until I got at least one review otherwise I just didn't see the point.



Aley says...


Hahaha! Oh my god that's great! I'm so happy that "perched" was right. That's totally perfect <3




I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory