z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Mature Content

Bad Seed (extract)

by MissGangamash


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

~ This is just an extract of a novel I've been working on. I'm not uploading the full thing on here unless people really want it - but I mainly just want to know what people think of the style. It's completely different to anything else I've written and I just want to know if it works or not. This is Chapter 2 - the first chapter is written from a different POV...  Enjoy! 

It’s 9.07. My appointment was at 9.00. If it gets to 9.10 I’m gonna go talk to the receptionist. He expects me here at 9.00 and he’s not even ready for me? I have stuff to do! Well, actually, it’s Sunday so all I plan to do today is get in my sweats, grab some snacks and binge watch Netflix. But he doesn’t know that, does he? I could have some serious stuff that needs to be done and he’s having me sit here twiddling my thumbs. People of authority, what arseholes.

Right, it’s 9.09, I’m going to complain.

“Miss Quinn?”

My heart jumps and I stand up. He’s stood right behind me. “Hi, Doctor Hyde.”

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” He gestures to his room. “Do come in and take a seat.”

I just smile to be polite and go in.

He shuts the door behind him and takes his seat behind his desk. I sit before him, trying to relax back into the chair but it always feels so stuffy in here. I’m a lot more comfortable than I was the first time though. How long ago was that? Geeze, pretty long ago.

“How are you feeling, Kassidy?” he asks, readjusting his glasses.

It’s a loaded question, always is with doctors. Well, doctors/therapists. They never want to discuss the weather.

“I dunno.” I shrug but he stares me down.

“Is the new medication working well for you?”

“I’ve been feeling pretty tired, I guess.”

This perks him up and he grabs a pen. “As in drowsy?”

“No. Not drowsy, really. Just like I haven’t been sleeping well.”

Have you been sleeping well?”

“Yes. I make sure I get at least eight hours a night.”

He ponders over this for a moment then scribbles something down.

“Is that a common side effect?”

He peers at me over his pad. “P2-17 is an experimental drug, you were informed about this. We are still collecting data from other patients.”

“You mean you don’t know if it’s normal?”

“All the information you give us is valuable, Kassidy. You did agree to this. Do you want to come off the medication?”

“No.” I blurt a little too quickly. His blonde eyebrow quirks up. “They’re working for me.”

He smiles, like he really cares that I’m doing well. Maybe he does. I’ve been in and out his office more times than I care to count. I’ve probably seen him more that I’ve seen my parents (don’t think about them, Kass.)

“You’ve had no more episodes?”

Episodes, hah, I always love how he calls them that. A cutesy name to cushion the blow.

I nod. “Not for over a month.”

Now he really does smile. He has a nice smile and it makes me regret calling him an arsehole earlier. He’s probably double my age but he wears it well. I may have had a slight crush on him in my early years and I had thought that there may have been a slight chance that there was something there right up until I had one of my ‘episodes’ and made him see me in a very unflattering light. I don’t dwell on that now. He’s a doctor. I bet he’s seen a whole lot of crazy shit in his life.

“I’m glad to hear that, Kassidy.”

We chat a little more and then he prints out my prescription. He sends me to the desk, bidding me farewell and giving me an encouraging shoulder squeeze as I leave.

I do like Doctor Hyde. But that doesn’t make up for the fact that I had to get up at 8.00am on a Sunday!

I try to make the most of the day seeing as I have a whole lot more of it now. But my bed calls for me and I’m still feeling super tired like always so I slip back under the covers. It’s light outside and my curtains aren’t blackout so I’m just lying here really, wanting to sleep but not being able to.

Am I an insomniac? But I sleep. I do sleep. Maybe I sleep too much and that’s why I’m always tired? Or maybe it is the meds, though Doctor Hyde didn’t really confirm that it could be.

I’ve read up on insomnia and it doesn’t sound like me. Okay, maybe it does a little with the mood swings and whatnot, but I’m not an insomniac!

I mean, I wake up so that means I must have been asleep, right? But sometimes I feel like I have woken from a dream that was just as exhausting as reality. Maybe even more so as I don’t actually do much day to day. I can never really remember my dreams though, yet I feel like I should. That they’re important. When there’s a slow day at work, I try and piece them together by jotting down things on post-it notes and cover the interiors of my desk drawers with them. They’re mostly just doodles because I come up with diddly-squat. But the pictures brighten up my drawers anyway. And it’s a good way to avoid my boss. Whenever he looks over at me as he sits in his fishbowl of an office, I’ll look like I’ll be working away like a little worker bee when really I’m just drawing weirdly shaped palm trees that look like grabbing claws.

It’s 1.00pm when I move from my bed to the sofa and watch three episodes of Dexter.

This is my Sunday. It was also my Saturday. It’s pretty much all of my weekends unless someone has made plans for me that I can’t wriggle my way out of.

I’m not a people person. I’m the definition of not a people person.

People just…annoy the crap out of me. I feel constantly tense around them, like I’m expecting a punch, or withholding a punch. Probably the latter. Most definitely the latter.

My default setting in public places is: irritable. But it’s irritable within reason. Or so I tell myself. I get irritated by people for rational reasons. Not for stupid stuff like…the way the pronounce certain words or how they don’t look at me in the eyes when the talk to me. It’s real things like…they are just constantly impolite.

Or they refuse to help you when it is easily in their ability.

Or they try and get you so drunk at the Christmas party every year so that you’ll forget all your inhibitions and go home with them.

(One time that happened!)

Or they give you up for adoption and wash their hands of you.

Or they spread rumours about you.

Or they abuse their power.

Or they blatantly ignore you.

Or they touch you too much even when you tell them to stop.

Even when you cry.

Even when you scream.

Real stuff like that.

I’m not a people person because of real stuff like that.

So I live alone in a two bedroom terrace, wrestling with the idea of getting a dog. I’m constantly stuck in a state between wanting to be alone, and being incredibly lonely. But I can’t risk having anyone close in case I relapse and have an episode. Another reason why I’m not a people person. They get in the way. In the way of me.

People might irritate me on a daily basis, but that doesn’t mean I want to hurt them.

(Well, not most of them)

And what’s worse than hurting a defenceless person? Hurting a defenceless animal.

I live in a two bedroom terrace, alone with no dog, and I’ve been kidding myself for the past seven years that this is exactly how I like it.

Monday rolls by sooner than I would have liked and I’m dumped back into my stupid cramped cubicle with my boss watching over me like a hawk. He swivels around in his chair behind his desk, fiddling with his fancy pen then probably costs more than the entirety of my stationary plus my outfit.

I work for a web-designing company which is one of those massive, oppressive firms where you’re treated more as a number than a person. I don’t mind that. It keeps people out of your business. But it also subjects you to a lot of rumours because no one actually really knows anyone else. And when your boss has a thing for you and is constantly looking you up and down as if he already knows what hidden underneath your smart pantsuit (does he?), you’ve basically got a massive bull’s-eye painted on your back.

He calls me into his office approximately forty minutes after I have arrived. He does this all the time, waits for me to get comfortable then makes me go near him. I hide my eye roll behind my plasterboard cubicle wall and stand up. People watch me over their shoulders with their phones to their ears.

There she goes again.

Office slut.

Going back for more, aye?

(That happened one time!)

You never know how to act when everyone is watching you. You feel like you’re putting on a performance. Okay, Miss Quinn, give me the confident worker. No, not the awkward, bashful worker. I said confident. Why are you blushing?

Holy crap is it hot in here? I want to open the top button of my blouse but I don’t. Not as I head over to Mr. Richard Reeves. Dick Reeves. Yes, he prefers people calling him Dick. And he is not above smirking whenever someone does. Especially when that person is me. Like it’s our little inside joke. Like when I call him Dick, I’m thinking about the one that’s in his pants. When I’m actually thinking about the one on his head.

Dick Reeves.

Dickhead Reeves.

“Kassidy,” Dick almost cheers when I swing open the glass door of his office as if he’s surprised to see me. Like I’ve come here on my own accord. He does this every time. And every time I smile like it amuses me.

I approach his desk. My heels clip against the shiny tiles and I hate the sound. It makes me sound like I’m doing it on purpose.

Hey, Dick, check out my hooker heels! I wore them especially for you!

I’m not wearing hooker heels. But I might as well be.

“You called?” I say.

“Why yes I did.” He tries his sultry eyes on me and I look down at my hands as if my unpolished nails are interesting.

The flapping sound of paper makes me look back up and he hands me a wad of letters. “I need you to give these to reception for me.”

I’m not your secretary.

“Sure.” I take them.

He always gives me menial jobs to do. I think he likes me running around for him.

I whistle, you come running.

It’s not my job to run around for him.

It’s my job to sit at my desk until my bum goes numb and I get cramp in my legs. It’s my job to stare at a screen and clickity-click my mouse. It’s not my job to traipse up and down three floors handing things into the front desk.

But Dick pays my bills.

Okay, there I did sound like a hooker.

“Did you have a nice weekend?” he asks.

“It was okay. Nothing special.” I shift through the pile of letters, pretending to read them.

“No dates?”

“I don’t date.”

“Come on, Kassie. Everyone dates.”

Don’t call me Kassie. I breathe slowly.

“I don’t date.”

I feel his eyes on me and I look up. He’s grinning. “Oh, I get it.”

He bloody winks at me.

“I can’t stop thinking about last Christmas either.”

I wish I knew what happened last Christmas.

“I just don’t date,” is all I say. Because what can I say? He’s my boss. Without this job…I don’t know what I’d do. I’m not exactly brimming with achievements. The only reason I got this job was because it was Dick who interviewed me. And from the start I knew he didn’t hire me for my appalling CV.

It was in highschool when my episodes really took off and people realised they weren’t just the behaviours of a hormonal teenager. There was something seriously wrong with me.

So being in and out of hospitals, counselling sessions and switching from one hopeless drug to another, I didn’t really have the time or the frame of mind to study. I even came back to resit my GCSE’s but it was no use. In fact, I managed to do even worse. Not only did I fail, but I also gave my ex-teacher a bloody nose and a fractured skull.

I was a D average student. One that didn’t even try to make up for herself by going to college. What was the point? I just wasn’t fit to study.

Dick just grins some more, as if that is exactly what he wanted me to say and his eyes do that wandering thing again. Like he knows.

I’ve reported him for sexual harassment several times and nothing has come from it. My guess is that the bitches at human resources probably think I’ve brought it all on myself. They hate me because I’m prettier than them. Me, with my long, honey blonde hair, cat-like eyes, small mouth and my athlete’s physique acquired by my early years of team sports that kept me out of the house for as long as I could. And them with their old crone beady eyes, uppity raised chins and disappointing sex lives with their husbands that they married way too young.

Of course it’s my fault. With me looking like I do, I’m practically begging for it.

Never mind that I cover up as much skin as possible and hold as little eye-contact as I can.

But of course it’s my fault.

Mr. Richard Reeves, with his Hugh Grant looks and his bulging bank account. Why would he ever stoop so low as to rufi my Bailey’s and whisk me back to his place for some late night unconscious fondling?

He would never.

She’s making things up.

Attention seeking whore.

“Is that all, Dick?” I ask.

He even glances down at his crotch and tries to disguise it by scrubbing a hand through his dark, wavy Hugh Grant hair.

“That’ll be all, Kassie.”

I feel his eyes on my behind as I leave and it makes me want to hurry my steps. But I don’t because everyone is looking at me again and if I rush, I’ll look guilty of something. Guilty of what, exactly? His office is complete floor-to-ceiling glass. It’s not as if we could have had a quickie on his desk.

But by the way everyone is watching me, it’s as if I have ruffled sex-hair and my knickers hanging out of my pocket.

I hate working here.

I hate my life.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:29 pm
Deanie wrote a review...



Hello MissGanga!

It took me a while to get here but I am ready to review as requested!

I think this was a reasonably good extract. I had quite a few issues with it, but otherwise it was a good read. Above all else, you certainly do know how to write and that shows here. I don't have any nitpicks for you or qualms about the writing style in the slightest. The story flows, the wording is chosen well and we get a taste of this character's life and the things she has to got through every day. Just as you were intending to, I am seriously disliking Dick's character. Misusing your employee's the way he does is terrible. I feel so sorry for her because she can't even remember what happened at that party and whether or not he took advantage of her state or not :(

I found that the beginning paragraph didn't attract my attention as much as I would've liked it to. I know this isn't the first chapter of your novel - more likely just the beginning of it - but it sounds like the beginning of a new chapter and they should always hook the reader in some way. But all this drama about the time didn't really excite me much and I was left wondering why it was so relevant that it became the first part of the chapter. I would rather you started with her having an episode, or drifting off to sleep and suddenly waking up again. This could later relate to the medication, and it will pique the readers interest because they will wonder what she could possibly be on medication for!

Another thing that I felt bothered me a little was how much still remains a mystery about her episodes. Okay, I would understand if you are withholding information in order to build suspense, but then you need to emphasise that you are withholding the information for that sake otherwise it just feels like you aren't telling us enough without any particular reason as to why you aren't doing so. I feel like after being at a doctor/therapist appointment with her we should have come away with knowing a bit more other than the fact she has episodes and sometimes they get really violent. This could be due to lack of research? Sometimes all we know as the writer is that we want them to have episodes but haven't got a particular reason for them to be having them yet. But don't be afraid to look into things and question what particular illness you can give them that would provoke these episodes.

I really like to appreciate my main characters, but I couldn't quite appreciate this one. I think it's because you haven't given her any likable qualities yet. So far what we know about her is that she is someone who hates everyone else because she throws up her own walls in order to not be seen as a freak or made fun of. So she pushes everyone out, even the therapist who is nice to her. She keeps away from her workers and whether they are lying to her about what happened at the Christmas party or not - without knowing for sure she already is labeling them as liars and pushing them away. She never worked too hard at school and doesn't bother. She hates her job, hates her boss, but doesn't seem to want to do much about it. I just get the impression that she hates everything and everyone without a reason for it being that way all the time, and it bothers me quite a bit. We need to see some good, redeeming qualities to her character otherwise the reader might peg her as a meanie and just move on.

I think I have given plenty for you to consider here, so I am just going to throw in one more thing and not delve too deep into it. And that is the concept of show, not tell. We learn a lot about her character in this chapter alone and that is simply because you're telling us everything. It can be hard in the beginning chapters, especially as you want to tell us everything so that we understand her backstory. But there are smaller, more subtle ways of filling us in without us just reading the dry-information and remembering it. I might expand on this another time, but I do think the previous points I mentioned are way more important!

It was a good chapter, but there are ways that it can be made even better! Hopefully you will keep working on this novel. Keep at it :D

Deanie x






Thank you for reading/reviewing!

Most of this novel is written as a running monologue and so the slightly dull start was intentional to kind of ease the reader into Kassidy's mind - which is rather unusual. I didn't want to throw the readers in at the deep end. And it's said that she hasn't had an 'episode' for a while so I couldn't go through with your suggestion of starting the chapter with that - she's on the mend... sort of.

A lot of information is being withheld about her 'episodes' because yes, this is only the start of the novel so I want to keep things hidden, also she's a very closed off person and doesn't really like to speak about her condition and so she doesn't want to reveal everything to the reader. There's not a lot of information about her episodes because the nature of her condition is still a complete mystery at this point - she does have a specific disorder that I have studied in college - but she hasn't been diagnosed at this point and that is why she's being put on an experimental drug.

Kassidy isn't supposed to be a likable character, not all protagonists need to be likable - in fact, a lot of my favourite books have really flawed protagonists that are disgraceful human beings, yet I still find myself loving them. That's what I'm aiming for with this novel, I've never done it before but hopefully the readers will connect and grow to love Kassidy the more they find out about her. There's a lot of real, heart-breaking and horrible reasons why she is the way she is. She pushes people out because she has been subjected to a lot of abuse through her life which has caused her to despise people in general. She is an incredibly lonely character - it being her fault or not, that's for you to decide.

The list she comes up with -

'...Or they refuse to help you when it is easily in their ability.

Or they try and get you so drunk at the Christmas party every year so that you%u2019ll forget all your inhibitions and go home with them.

(One time that happened!)

Or they give you up for adoption and wash their hands of you.

Or they spread rumours about you.

Or they abuse their power.

Or they blatantly ignore you.

Or they touch you too much even when you tell them to stop.

Even when you cry.

Even when you scream.

Real stuff like that.

I%u2019m not a people person because of real stuff like that.'

-that is all specific to her life. She doesn't go into too much details because her past is very bleak, but read between the lines and you can figure out what she's talking about.

I admit, there's a lot of telling in this novel because I was trying something different, when the story starts flowing, theirs more showing. It's just that the novel centres around Kassidy's running monologue - I got the idea after reading Fight Club and Filth.

Thanks again for taking the time do write an in-depth review and I hope I've cleared some stuff up for you :)



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:53 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



This review is brought to you by Read and Review Shop

Hey, I'm here to review! Sorry for the very long wait! :D

First off, I'm not going to talk about the time. Reviewers below me have touched on it enough, so I hope you'd take it into consideration for later drafts. Moving on to nitpicks.

Spoiler! :
He expects me here at 9.00 and he’s not even ready for me? I have stuff to do! Well, actually, it’s Sunday so all I plan to do today is get in my sweats, grab some snacks and binge watch Netflix.


Like this part. It gives off that light-hearted humorous atmosphere, not to mention it shows Quinn's personality.

Right, it’s 9.09, I’m going to complain.


Period after 'right' instead of comma.

My heart jumps and I stand up. He’s stood right behind me. “Hi, Doctor Hyde.”


You missed the part about Quinn turning around to see Hyde. If not, she would be greeting him while he's behind her... which would be weird. xD

I just smile to be polite and go in.


I don't like this 'to be' fashion you're using. It doesn't hurt to use an adverb - 'smile politely' is just the same as 'smile to be polite', and less wordy.

He shuts the door behind him and takes his seat behind his desk.


Too much 'behind'. I think you can remove the first one as reader will know what door he's shutting.

How long ago was that? Geeze, pretty long ago.


... and we still don't know how long it is. Be specific - just not go into dates. Three years? Four, five?

Well, doctors/therapists.


I'd want to point that you can use an 'or' instead of a '/', but I think this fits within the context, so this one is okay.

“I dunno.” I shrug but he stares me down.

“Is the new medication working well for you?”

“I’ve been feeling pretty tired, I guess.”

This perks him up and he grabs a pen. “As in drowsy?”

“No. Not drowsy, really. Just like I haven’t been sleeping well.”

“Have you been sleeping well?”

“Yes. I make sure I get at least eight hours a night.”


Dialogue galore! I'm a fan of it, but not when it's too much. I mean, you don't have to remove some of it here, but you can include description to go with it - body language's always the best since you don't just talk without doing anything else. Here's a suggestion.

“I dunno.” I shrug.

Staring me down, he raises his eyebrows. “Is the new medication working well for you?”

I keep silent, giving the question some thought, before shrugging again. “I’ve been feeling pretty tired, I guess.”

This perks him up and he grabs a pen and paper, pose ready to jolt things down. “As in drowsy?” he said, pressing me.

I shake my head slightly, a faint frown surfacing my face. “No. Not drowsy, really. Just like I haven’t been sleeping well.”

He nods, as if nodding would make him more understanding and wiser. “Have you been sleeping well?”

“Yes," I said. "I make sure I get at least eight hours sleep a night.”


This problem continues as I move on reading it. Maybe there are some parts of the dialogue that can be cut. Trim it down to keeping only the necessary parts, since we want to read important things, not irrelevant dialogue exchange. Make the prose tighter.

I’ve probably seen him more that I’ve seen my parents (don’t think about them, Kass.)


The part in bracket is not related to the narration, as in, this is not what the narrator wants to tell us directly. This is a thought, so it's better italicized.

But my bed calls for me and I’m still feeling super tired like always so I slip back under the covers. It’s light outside and my curtains aren’t blackout so I’m just lying here really, wanting to sleep but not being able to.


Always have a comma after 'so'.

Or they refuse to help you when it is easily in their ability.

Or they try and get you so drunk at the Christmas party every year so that you’ll forget all your inhibitions and go home with them.

(One time that happened!)

Or they give you up for adoption and wash their hands of you.

Or they spread rumours about you.

Or they abuse their power.

Or they blatantly ignore you.

Or they touch you too much even when you tell them to stop.

Even when you cry.

Even when you scream.

Real stuff like that.


This can be merged into one paragraph since they relate to each other.

Like when I call him Dick, I’m thinking about the one that’s in his pants. When I’m actually thinking about the one on his head.


Like this part. It makes me giggle. Anyway, since the first part is Dick thinking Quinn thinks about the one in his pant, write it so, or else, I might get confused about why she thinks it's in there then later says it's the one in his head. '... call him Dick, he thinks I'm talking about...' would do it.


Anyway, on to the actual story. I think this chapter is a strong one. Nothing much important happens - her meeting with Hyde doesn't reveal much, either. It's more focus on Quinn since they are many inner monologues here, and we understand her much better after reading this. So while this chapter is excellent to show character development - or getting us deeper into her character - it lacks on the plot department. There's few things that push the plot forward, but I don't really mind.

The part about her being pretty is a bit too much, I think. I think it can be cut into fewer words since some of them are just repetitive to the parts before. The one describing her is important, though. I also wish the part about her getting irritated by people to be more solid. I understand you've given us scenarios about people who could do this and that to her, but I wish to know more. I mean, there's vague part about maybe this thing happened to her in the past, but I'm not sure. You can polish that part up, I think.

Anyway, that's all! Keep up the good job! :D






Thank you for reviewing!

I'll take a look at those nit-picks! Although a few of the things you pointed out were intentional. Like there not being much descriptions between dialogue was on purpose. Kassidy isn't a very observant person and as is mentioned, doesn't tend to like people, so she doesn't pay much attention to them on the whole, she just listens- hence the lack of descriptions.

Also the brackets and the spaces between thoughts is intentional. She has a very scattered mind and I wanted that to show through the way her narrative is written. She has thoughts, then she has darker thoughts she wants to ignore, those are the ones in brackets.

Also, the vagueness is all intentional. Like when she was explaining why she's not a people person and she was giving examples. Was she saying them from experience or just plucking them out of thin air? You'll know if you continue reading. Kassidy is a character that you won't fully understand until you've read the whole novel so I'm not giving a lot away. Plus, she finds it hard to open up to people so it makes sense that she wont hang her dirty washing out in first chapter. So you saying you want to know more is exactly the reaction I was hoping for :)

Thanks again for taking the time to read and review! I really appreciate it!



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 171
Reviews: 58

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:12 pm
View Likes
TheStormAroundMe wrote a review...



Hello!

So, at the beginning you're giving times. I would use a colon instead of a period in between the numbers, because I first read them as nine and seven hundredths. That's not right! :p And as the previous reviewer said, you might want to specify AM or PM.

I have been told that when you have your character thinking, it is probably better to italicize the thoughts. Sometimes it gets confusing if you don't. Trust me, I've had people tell me this same thing before.

Then, when you begin to talk about her heels clicking against the floor, I find that you use sound twice. Redundancy has always been a pet peeve of mine, and I would find another word to use in place of the second "sound." Also, you might want to add a better explanation of why she doesn't like the heel-click sound in that same paragraph. Why is the sound of something purposeful bad?

"Dick pays my bills." You got a laugh out of me there. This is a part I would definitely leave in.

Finally, how do you know how people look at you when you have underwear out of your pocket? And maybe you'd like to give a better word instead of sex-hair. :) I did smile at this, but it probably isn't the best word choice. Did you mean the hair down there, or how ruffled your hair is after sex? Didn't know. Sorry, I feel really dirty writing this review.

That's all for now. Keep writing!
-Grace






I'm going to sort of the thing with the times ^^

With first person narrators, she's narrating so her thoughts mix in well with her actions etc. She's basically thinking everything. So I don't really feel that italics are needed for her thoughts. And I use them for different things anyway so it'd be confusing.

She doesn't like the sound of her clicking heels because she thinks that it makes her sound like a slut. 'Hey, Dick, check out my hooker heels! I wore them especially for you!' She's very self-conscious in her workplace.

Haha, I'm glad you liked 'Dick pays my bills', it's one of my favourite lines XD

Sex-hair is slang for the way your hair looks after sex. So in disarray and wild. And basically she's referring to walking out of his office to doing the walk of shame.

Haha, if you feel dirty just reading and reviewing this chapter, you'd feel filthy if you read the rest XD (Not that its smut but...yeahhhh...stuff happens.)

Thanks for the review!



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:49 am
View Likes
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello! Let's begin.

It’s 9.07.


Image

No, seriously. Don't expect the reader to know. Make it clear which one it is.

Also, maybe it's done differently where you're done, but from what I've seen, colons are used to separate the hour from the minute. So I would change those from 9.07 to 9:00.

“Hi, Doctor Hyde.”


... Change this. In all honestly, don't go with this. People won't take you seriously and you'll get the readers' assuming that this is some twist on Jekyll/Hyde.. and if it is, then even more so don't go with Hyde lol

“No.” I blurt a little too quickly.
You're already developing a bad habit of misusing dialogue punctuation. Read this for more information > Punctuation within Dialogue

Am I an insomniac?


This doesn't really work in this situation. She isn't an insomniac if she can't take a nap in the middle of the day. Try out something else, this is only misleading.

I’ve read up on insomnia and it doesn’t sound like me.


Then I'm not really sure why you mentioned it if you were going to refute it in the next paragraph. I would annex that entire section.

until my bum goes numb and I get cramp


a cramp*


Okay, so honestly? I'm not so sure of how I feel about your leading lady, here. She seems to be your typical anti-people, mentally unhealthy, sexy woman who has a boss with a thing for her and everyone else who hates her for being so perfect. It's not really surprising, entertaining, or interesting. If that's the way you want to keep her, then you can, of course, but in my opinion, she's too dull. So it's not really holding my interest that much.

However, she is funny. More so with her internal dialogue, but also with the external events. So that's good. I also like the small nudges to what I assume the story is about? The medicine she's taking, and how she's kind of an experiment as they test to see how it works for her. It gives me a sci-fi feel, although I'm not sure if that's the main focus of your story. Either way, I'm interested to know more. I like that it was a brief introduction to the point of the story and not a full explanation, because no one quite likes an info-dump. So that's good.

It's a good story and I enjoyed reading this chapter! Here's to hoping you post more.

~Iggy, for the #003300 ">Earth Kingdom






I thought it was pretty obvious that it was AM seeing as though she's complaining that she has stuff to do and that she wants to go back to bed but I'll put in AM.

Doctor Hyde is an intentional nudge at what the story is really about. I wanted to see if people clocked on and if it was too obvious, I was going to change it.

She's confused about her sleeping habits, that's why she rambles a bit about insomnia. Her mind is very clogged up with stuff, that's why the pace is pretty sketchy and she jumps around a bit and rambles. It's all intentional.

When you say 'typical leading lady' and then listed things about her, I've never read anything about a leading lady with all those attributes but maybe you have :P I wasn't purposely putting her in a category.

I am keeping her the way she is because how she is is very relevant to the story. It's interesting that you find her dull. She purposeful tries to come off as dull to the people around her because she doesn't want attention drawn to herself. Her dialogue is simple because its been filtered a lot. Her thoughts and completely different to what comes out of her mouth. This is all intentional too and is relevant to what the story is really about.

I'm glad you find her funny, because her humour is pretty dark and I didn't think it'd be a lot of people's cup of tea. But again, that's intentional. She's not supposed to be a super-likable character.

It's not a sci-fi novel. The closest genre I could think that this would go under would be noir.

Overall, I'm glad you liked reading it :)

I'm focusing on uploading another novel of mine on here and as I don't go on here often, I don't have an abundance of coins. But if this attracts more people, I will upload more after finishing the other one :)




You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster