12+

Chapter 13: Her

by Miraculor77

Ashe's POV

My eyes flicker open as my consciousness floats in that dreamlike state between being asleep and being awake. A gray ceiling stares back at me, hazy through my blurred vision.

Then suddenly, a pang goes through me, a feeling of deep loss. A hole in my very being, as though I lost a part of my soul. Everything still looks blurry, and I sit up and raise a hand to my face. My fingers come off wet.

Tears.

On the surface, I feel confused, but the inexplicable sadness weighs heavily on me. I close my eyes, breathing in and out slowly, trying to will it away. After a while, it does.

It's not the first time I've woken up feeling like this.

I pull the blanket around myself, then glance down, surprised. Soft, warm fabric is wrapped around me, a strange yet pleasant smell coming from it. Oranges, I think. And something deep and rich, and something that's almost… windblown. Like the smell of outside. The blanket is strangely familiar, and so is the smell. I think about it for a moment then realize why it looks so familiar.

It's Kyre's blanket, the one I'd seen him sleep with. A small smile touches my lips at his kindness; he must have noticed that I was cold.

I reach over and my fingers find my tablet and stylus. Tapping the screen of the tablet, I find the painting I was working on last night. My stylus moves like an extension of my hand, and soon the strangeness from before fades away with the colors.

There's a creaking sound and I glance at the wooden square on the floor when it moves. Kyre's head pokes through the trapdoor, one hand propping the door open above him. He's wearing a short-sleeved shirt today, and my eye is immediately drawn to the tattoo on his forearm--an intricate design of a bird flying. With splashes of blue and strong black lines, the design stands out against his pale skin.

"I have to go out to get some stuff for Boss. You wanna come? It's not too far, and you can get clothes or something."

I move my tablet from my knee to the empty spot next to Kyre's laptop. "Alright, I'll be down in five."

Kyre nods and his head disappears through the trapdoor. A moment later I hear a loud thud and wince. Though he tries not to show that his leg bothers him, I can tell that from his limp that it does.

Five minutes later, I'm at the front door, my hoodie hanging from my hand. As soon as I pull it over my head, Kyre turns the handle and lets daylight enter through the doorway.

The air is cool and windy. A lone bird flies across the sky, wings flapping hard before it straightens them and coasts on the current. Kyre walks next to me, his footsteps slightly uneven. His stride is much longer than mine, and I walk faster to keep up.

The wall doesn't look as ominous, but in the light, I can read it. There is pain in the loopy lettering and harsh strokes of paint.

I won't be here tomorrow. Goodbye, world.

I stop walking, frozen, as Kyre walks on ahead. What could have pushed someone into doing something so drastic? My mind conjures up a thousand possibilities, each more horror-filled than the last and tears prick the backs of my eyes. I feel the loss of someone I never knew.

"Ashe!" Kyre yells, and my feet spur into motion as I run toward him. And then into him. His arms come around me reassuringly, and I stay there for a while, breathing in his scent.

After some time, he gently guides me to the spot where the floor falls, his arm wrapped around my shoulders. A quick tap on his watch, and then we fall.

We're in the tunnel. My horror fades in the wake of the darkness here. The place gives me the jitters, and I hum a song under my breath to calm my racing pulse. While I'm not an amazing singer, I can sing in tune without being thrown off-key. Kyre's hand finds mine, the cool fingers wrapping my warm ones. I shiver involuntarily. Is he always this cold?

The sound of our footsteps echoes off the walls. The sound of Kyre's hand dragging across the wall combines with the sound of our breathing. We keep walking. A high, sharp sound echoes in the far distance and Kyre lets out a harsh, ragged breath. I look at him in alarm, but of course, I can't see anything. His hand trembles, then lets mine go. Panic floods my senses.

*-*-*

Kyre's POV

Machine gun shooting. Screams fill the air. I'm crouched behind the remains of a burning house. An ember lands on my skin, a small flash of pain. It vanishes. My mouth tastes like ash and fire. The sky is dark; the stars are invisible.

A warm hand grips my forearm, and I glance back at her. Tears drip from her eyes, clearing layers of soot to form a visible path. I wrap my arms around her, pulling her close.

Black gloves. Harsh hands. Someone pulls me from my spot, stuffs a gag in my mouth. "Ay, I got one!" The person holds me with an iron grip. Running footsteps. Back-up, probably.

She stares at me from her spot, her face a mixture of horror and fear. Her dark eyes are wide, glossed with tears. There is a cut on her face, blood welling thinly from it. I try to move, try to say her name just one more time.

But I can't.

Another person, clothed in all black, aims a pistol at her. The dark metal glints with the chaos around us, but the world around me is strangely quiet.

Click. One move from his finger and the bullet will fly. My throat is dry.

A nameless strength finds me and I wrench myself from my captor's hands. I run and fall onto the ground in front of her just as the bullet flies.

One shot, two.

I can't move.

My leg throbs, flames of pain licking it from ankle to knee. My vision pulses with it, darkness threatening to pull me under. The sound comes back on. "Oh look at him. What a hero." 

"He'll love this, then."

Powerful arms grip my shoulders and pull me back. "Watch, boy." Someone else grips my head and turns it so I can see her. "Kyre!" She yells, her voice high, frightened. I try to escape, but I can't. The person holding my head lets go, aims another gun at her.

Her.

He shoots.

And shoots.

And shoots.

The bullets hit her. Spots of red appear on her shoulder, stomach, arm. Her screams pierce the air.

He shoots again.

A spray of red and gray from her forehead. Her screams abruptly cut off. She slumps, mouth still open, eyes glazed over.

I scream through my gag, my young voice high and shrill.

"Arra!"

I hit the ground on my knees, bile rising in my throat. Nausea rocks me back and forth. I can feel wetness on my face. Tears. A low scream echoes in the tunnel, and for a moment, I wonder where it came from. Then I vaguely realize it came from me. My breathing is ragged and heavy; my shin throbs with old pain.

"Kyre!" Ashe's voice is high with panic. I barely hear her over the roar in my ears. Her hands find me and she wraps her arms around me.

"It's okay, Kyre. You're okay." I can't stop shaking from what I just saw. Her hand rubs circles into my back and her breath is warm at my ear, her bangs brushing my face. Something about the gesture is oddly comforting.

Even though I know I'm not okay, I listen to her as she breathes soothing words into my hair. My throat is clogged with grief and I can't speak.

The grief for someone I can't remember. But I knew her, I can feel it in the way a part of my heart tears.

Who was she?

Why don't I remember her?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Three fifths completed.

First Impression: Well, possible mind altering VR's detected. Also what a backstory that is for the leg wound. I never imagined it was something so dramatic.

Anyway let's get on with it,

Nice to see that.

Great description there for that tattoo.

Nice to see that from an artists point of view. Double exposition in that one.

Well this is a nice bit of extra tension with that weird sounds then following it up with that amazing flashback.

One shot, two.

I can't move.

OMG He has walking around with a bullet wound from a machine gun this whole time? That can literally shatter your ankle. Oh dear. This just adds so much strength to his character.

He shoots again.

I'm assuming the other shots were for extra villain bonus points.

Who was she?

Why don't I remember her?

I think I know the answers to both those questions but I am going to hold off on answering those.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: It was a nice piece of action right there. Really interesting backstory that was just revealed. Another chapter with no issue to point out.

Miraculor77 says...

Thanks for the review! I haven't been updating this very often but reading your reactions has been so much fun, it's motivating me. :))) Stay safe!

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!!
Glad I could be helpful like that. Hoping that you update it soon. :D

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:49 pm
WinnyWriter wrote a review...

Awesome writing, once again! This chapter really pulled me into the story. Wow. It's amazing. The way you show us the backstory and yet refrain from giving the whole explanation is super captivating. I love your use of flashback. You're giving the past and the present of the story at the same time by using this technique so often.

You're a really great writer, so there are not many errors. I only noticed a few very minor things. Take this spot for example:
"My leg throbs, flames of pain licking it from ankle to knee. My vision pulses with it, darkness threatening to pull me under. The sound comes back on. "Oh look at him. What a hero." "He'll love this, then.""
At the very end, with the last two sentences, it seems that you have two speakers, as indicated by the two separate quotations. However, when it comes to the second speaker who says, "He'll love this, then," I feel like that should be on a separate line.
It was only small stuff like this that I saw, and such things were few.

This whole thing is very well-written. It flows smoothly, and the depiction of action is really awesome. I love how you got into the intensity of the shooting scene. You didn't show repulsive graphic details just to gross out the reader, but what you did show has a point and is just enough to elicit the sense of horror and trauma. Even in the calmer scenes, you really get into the characters' feelings, such as the panic they experience. Another thing you do well with is consistence in verb tense. Great job! I'm excited to read what happens next.

Miraculor77 says...

Thanks for the review! (: I went back and smoothed parts of it out, it should read a little better now.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 pm
EverLight wrote a review...

EverLight here with a review! This review is not intended to offend or hurt you or make your novel or poem seem bad, but be warned you may feel offended anyway.

First Impression
Awesome job!

Nitpicks
All right, to start with this sentence doesn't exactly make sense to me-

There is pain in the loopy lettering, the harsh strokes of paint.

What do you mean by that?

Secant I feel like the tense in this sentence doesn't match up
His hand trembles, then lets mine go. Panic floods my senses.

In this sentence I think you have a missing word-
The person holding my head lets go, aims another gun at her.

Maybe include the word and?

Style & Flow
Nothing to say here.

Overall you did an excellent job!

EverLight Out

Miraculor77 says...

I fixed the sentence you mentioned in your first nitpick; I replaced the comma with the word "and."

What do you mean by "tense" in the second nitpick? It's all in present tense. If the sentence itself sounds weird, I could rewrite it, but I need to know which part needs fixing.

The sentence in the third nitpick is supposed to feel choppy and strange because Kyre's thoughts are choppy and strange.

Thanks for the review! It's always nice to know what others think and the reviews help me improve.
- Mira

EverLight says...

Your welcome. (:

EverLight says...

Sounds like you don't really need my advice though.

Miraculor77 says...

I didn't mean to make it sound like that. I do care about what you think about my writing.

And while this chapter is pretty good, some of my earlier chapters are filled with weird spots that still need to be smoothed over. So I do need your advice. More on some chapters than others but I need it all the same. :)

EverLight says...

It's cool. Your fine. (:

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:03 pm
Lib wrote a review...

Hello, there.

Hope you're doing well! I'm here for reviewing. :)

Okay first of all, that was a really big move, Mira! Very very very big transition. xD Oof. It was all calm, and then all of a sudden, guns, bullets, screams, some random girl, Ashe, Kyre, pain, just... WHAT. Your reader gets all confused, like, omg, whaaaat just happened!?

It's written very nicely, as always, but - oof - it was just so big of a move, like ahhhhhh. I hope you know what I mean, lol.

Anyways, the first bit of the chapter was cute, as usual when Kyre and Ashe are together, heehee. Grammar was great, as was punctuation, etc. Great job with this so far, Mira, the only thing I'd suggest is that you ease into the gun shot part. Even though it is a memory, it'd be nice to know where it came from, ya know?

What triggered the memory, and stuff.

Anyways, can't wait for the next chapter! You're doing good mate, and feel free to reach out if you have any questions. (:

(Sorry this is a super short review)

And as always...

~Liberty

Miraculor77 says...

Yes, I do know what you mean, and that was my intention. The memory came to Kyre in a jarring and extreme way, and I wanted the reader to feel that. What triggered the memory and stuff will be hinted on/explained in the coming chapters. I don't know when, but hopefully soon. Thanks for the review! :)

Lib says...

'Course! (:

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
— Dr. Seuss