<The Lost City> Chapter 2: The Project

by MilaScribbler

If you didn't read chapter 1 I suggest you do so....

Ok that sounded cheeky... :wink:

what I mean is you'll get the story better...

please review... i know this needs lots of brushing up and a little pointer to what and where needs arranging always helps... :D

Thanks for bothering to read this

MilaScribbler

xxx

P.S. If you are asking if i changed the title: yes i did... it was too long :P

The Project

“Very good! That was very well prepared work, and congratulations for the chart and power point!” Ms. Jefferson said over amidst the clapping of the class. She waited until the class had quietened down and said, “So that was Elena, Martina and Stephanie and Joanna’s project. The last group is left, come out Mila, Pat, Zoë and Phoebe and show as what you’ve prepared for us!”

Taking a deep breath the four clambered out of their seats and walked up to the teacher’s platform. Then Pat began and the others mimed while she narrated…

“In ancient times; long, long ago, the Geeks—I mean the Greeks were a great nation: amongst the highest in civilization, which isn’t saying a lot –cos on the other side of the world some were still ‘ugh’ and ‘how’, beating each other up with wooden clubs. They believed in the gods and in Olympus…well you get the picture. Way back in these boring days there lived a certain guy called King Aegeus who fell in love with a maiden from Troezen, bla, bla, bla... So they married, but as soon as Aithra had conceived his son, Aegeus left, leaving behind his sandals and his sword under a rock on a beach.

When Theseus, their son, was sixteen, his mother told him to go and find a rock on a beach, move it away and bring her what he found under it.”

Zoë came forward and pretended to struggle to move a tiny rock which they had placed earlier. Looking stupid and excited she ran to Phoebe who was on the other side of the room pretending to be Theseus’ mother. Some of their classmates were already laughing and Ms. Jefferson was trying not to. Zoë held out a plastic model of a crab to ‘his mother’.

“You idiot!” she scolded him (her) in such a Phoebe-ish kind of way. “It’s a big rock, the one beneath an olive tree! Get a move on!”

Pat said, “After several attempts, for it was indeed a big rock, Theseus returned with the right articles.” Zoë did as Pat said and returned to Phoebe.

“Good boy, those are your father’s. He gave them to you before he left,” she explained.

“Well then who’s my Dad, were does he live and why did he dump you?” Zoë asked her. The giggling became even louder.

“Your father’s name is King Aegeus and he rules Greece, though I hope you know that. I don’t send you to school for nothing. Secondly he did not dump me. He just had to leave because of family problems…”

“Which were…YOU, haha!” Zoë guffawed stupidly.

“Very funny!” She retorted sarcastically. “Anyway, you’re to go to Athens, that’s were he lives (I hope you know that!) and live with him. I can’t afford to pay for all the food you eat. But he will. Just show him his sandals, don’t shove them under his nose—you don’t want him to pass out with that stink! And don’t forget his sword, it costs money. Give him my love. Go on!”

“Yes mummy”

Pat took over and continued narrating the story once more, “Theseus had a quiet journey, without counting a few fights with some pestering giants. After a while he turned up on his dad’s doorsteps all ragged and filthy. Now the King had married another woman who was a mean old sorceress. She wanted her own son to take over the throne so she offered Theseus some wine which was poisonous. But Theseus did not drink it immediately. He was a good boy and did just like his mummy said. When the king saw the sword and the stinking sandals he recognized his son. He saw that his wife had given him poison and knocked the goblet out of Theseus’ hand. The witch ran away and we will not hear from her during the rest of the story—Thank the gods!” by now half the class was on the floor, their sides splitting with laughter. Zoë and Mila, who was playing King Aegeus, winked at each other as Pat continued. “You might all think that Theseus and his dad lived happily after, the end. But this is not fairytale. It’s ancient Greek so it drags on and on and on. Just like a history lesson.” Ms. Jefferson gave a shriek of laughter and fell off her chair. “Theseus went to Knossos (Crete) to kill a big monster called a Minotaur because poor King Aegeus had to send about fourteen beautiful youths for its lunch as a payment for some debt to greedy, old King Minos. To kill it Theseus used all the help he could get, which added up to a simple ball of wool. Not much right? But our stupid Theseus turned out to be quite strong and managed to break the very ugly monster’s neck.” Zoë obviously did not do this to Phoebe. They simply struggled and after a while she fell on the floor as if dead while Zoë stood over her triumphant. And finally Pat said the two words, “The End!” and the bell rang for recess.

The class gave a short applause before running to get their lunches. They followed suit and went out to the basketball pitch. They had promised Zoë a two-on-two match if all went well. So they played and discussed.

“That was brilliant!”

“Super”

“Totally”

“You said it!”

“But I still don’t think I should have played the monster thing. I mean, I’m not ugly, am I?” Phoebe resumed the argument once more.

“Well maybe not as ugly…” Zoë

They all giggled.

“Did you give her the project Mila?” Phoebe changed the subject quickly.

“Duh!”

“How long was it again? 138 pages?” Zoë inquired.

“139 to be specific,” Pat corrected her immediately.

“Yeah well it seemed like a thousand. I hope it’s worth the effort though. Oh, come on Phoebe! We just started!” Zoë groaned

“I don’t care! I broke a nail already and I’m sweating so much that I’ll start stinking in a minute or two—Where’s my deodorant?!” She said searching frantically.

The others sighed and broke up too. Zoë remained in the pitch to shoot some penalties. The other three sat at the edges to watch her.

“I think we have a serious chance of winning though,” Pat said.

“Oh my god! You mean you were never sure if we were gonna win? But there’s this really good beauty salon on the cruise liner and I’ve got to try it!” Phoebe said hysterically.

“Phony do you always have to be so vain and blonde?” Zoë teased. Phoebe hated being called ‘Phony’ but Zoë was feeling a bit reckless at the moment because Phoebe had ruined the basketball match by quitting when the game had just started. Her retort made Phoebe just as angry though.

“And do you have to always have a ball in your hand? And wear those horrible clothes? Maybe it’s just a way to hide your ugliness!” Phoebe retorted spitefully.

Mila caught the basketball in midair saving Phoebe’s perfect nose from getting broken and gave Pat a look. Strategy time. Pat quickly whisked Phoebe away while Mila stayed behind with her best friend. Pat and Phoebe had always been rather close, Phoebe liked Pat because she was so quiet and if it hadn’t been for her, Pat would be a big nerd with no dress sense. Mila and Zoë had always been a twosome. So Mila sat at a safe distance from the net while Zoë banged the ball around. Mila waited. She knew that Zoë wanted to think before saying anything to anyone. Zoë began to dribble a football up and down the court. Finally she came up to Mila and said, “Ah well forget it. I’ll go and talk to Phoebe.” So they walked away together.

* * *

“Girls, will you please settle down…” Ms. Jefferson was saying as the restless classmates chattered amongst themselves. In a few minutes the bell would ring and they would be free to go home. It always seemed that the last lesson was the hardest in which to control the girls, at least that was Ms. Jefferson’s opinion. Her noisy students on the other hand did not agree. The end of the last lesson was always fun. Particularly on Friday afternoons.

Mila was talking to her friends. And they were talking to her. It was more of a babble than a discussion. While Mila was telling them about a music concert of a rock band that would be coming up soon and how she was studying hard for her violin exam, Zoë was asking them if they would come and watch the final match of table tennis that night for support. Phoebe was begging Pat to accompany her to the mall the following day while Pat was talking about how much work she was doing and asking them if they were studying for their exams. The class was in total confusion to sum things up and it was with great trouble that the form mistress was able to make her voice heard.

“Don’t you want to know the winners of the Greek Project?!” She was literally shouting. But everyone heard her and an immediate silence filled the room. An air of suspense lingered. Everyone held her breaths. “The winners are… Mila, Zoë, Pat and Phoebe!” The class exploded. Everyone cheered: even those who had wanted the prize as much as the winners.

Mila was grinning. They’d won! They’d done it! She looked happily over to where Zoë stood and saw her jumping up and down, hugging Phoebe – Something highly unusual. She turned to Pat. She looked very strange, lost in daydream. Weird. She lent down behind her and waved her hand over Pat’s eyes. Pat snapped back to the Present from whatever she had just been thinking of.

“Unusual time to daydream don’t you think? We won! We’re going to Greece. Did you even hear her?” Mila asked her.

“Yes, of course I did. It’s just--- never mind.” Pat told her looking flustered. Mila looked at her.

Somehow, the bell was heard over the din and their classmates gathered their things and left, one or two thumping them on their backs as they did so. The four winners stayed behind. Ms. Jefferson congratulated them and arranged a meeting with their parents at Mila’s house that evening. After thanking her rather enthusiastically (Zoë kissed her on the cheek) they raced outside whooping with delight at their success. Mila however, noticed that Pat was still a bit quiet. She was smiling hard; apparently still unable to believe she was going abroad. Her expression made Mila think that she was not entirely back on Planet Earth yet. Nobody seemed to have noticed how quiet Pat was so she let the matter rest. She was still determined to find the cause or reason to Pat’s new, strange and silent mood but she would forget it – well for now. They headed straight for Mila’s house. Sleepover tonight!

“Mum? Dad? I’m back! We did it! We won!” Mila called when they arrived. Her mum came rushing from the kitchen. “We did it!” She repeated immediately. And the others joined in.

“Yes, it was great!”

“We rock!”

“You bet!”

“Greece here we come!”

“Here, look Ms. Miles. Ms. Jefferson gave our project back to us. 100% see! 75% on the project and 25% for the presentation.” Pat explained, showing her the big spiral bound project they had worked so hard at.

“She’s commin’ tonight Mum. And so are everybody’s parents.” Mila said. “Special meeting to discuss details with the mums and dads.

“That’s Okay…now who’s hungry?” Her mum said. Everyone screamed with delight. Ms. Miles cooking was heavenly and even Phoebe always asked for second helpings.

* * *

That night as they all lay in their sleeping bags in Mila’s room they could not sleep. As most people do in exciting sleepovers. Finally they sat up on their pillows and discussed the grand meeting they had just witnessed, as they waited for sleepiness to creep up on them.

“Mila get the stuff.” They urged her. They were talking about a box file full of papers concerning the trip. Mila obliged and after making sure her parents were fast asleep (they luckily tended to sleep deeply) she went downstairs, returning with the box file and a couple of torches.

“OMG! I can’t wait!” Phoebe whispered as Mila opened it with a click.

“Me neither!” Pat said switching a torch on and directing the light at the contents. Zoë copied her.

“Look at the size of that ship! She’s a beauty!” Mila said as she found a map of the cruise liner.

“Yes, the name is just right!” Pat agreed.

“What is it?” Zoë asked surprised.

Pat rolled her eyes. “Aphrodite! “

“And what’s that?”

Pat sighed and shook her head in expiration. “Honestly, did you or did you not do a project on Greece? Did you or did you not do your fair share in the mythology section? Aphrodite is the Goddess of love and beauty!” Pat said knowingly. Zoë cleared her throat in a dignified manner and changed the subject.

“We’re sharing a cabin right?”

“Yes, we’ll have one with a porthole all to ourselves. Ms. Jefferson couldn’t find one for all of us so she will have one all to herself next door.” Mila explained.

“Well that’s a relief! You cant’ believe how angry I was when I found out that she was coming!” Phoebe shuddered.

“Come off it! Your parents would have never allowed you abroad on your own!” Mila giggled scornfully. Pat was also having a silent laughing fit and Zoë was clearly holding onto every ounce of her self-control from calling Phoebe the formidable word ‘Phony’. They all of them knew that Phoebe’s parents were extremely over-protective.

“Well at least we’re not sharing the same cabin, right?” Pat said.

“Whatever.”

“How many pools are there on the ship?”

“Two”

“And Jacuzzi?”

“Ditto!”

“Super!”

“Turn the page over. Let’s look at the excursions!”

“Cool we’re going to the Acropolis!”

“What’s that?” Zoë asked innocently to Pat, “Just kidding!” she said hurriedly, quailing under the look she was given. “I know it’s the big temple in Athens.”

They read on and on. .. “Am I hallucinating or does this say ‘including ticket for a donkey ride’?” But slowly their whispers gradually rose to a crescendo. Finally Phoebe gave a loud screech when she saw a leaflet about the beauty salon she had mentioned a before. The noise woke Mila’s mum up and they were asked to clear everything away and lie down. And when their heads touched their pillows they immediately fell asleep.

.....

To be continued (in chapter 3... Duh!! :P)

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:41 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hiya! I liked the idea enough to continue looking at this. Now, as for the review:

Taking a deep breath the four clambered out of their seats and walked up to the teacher’s platform.

So, they all took a breath at the same time? You're still in omniscient viewpoint here. Stick to Mila's head and have her notice her friends getting nervous. Also, your characters seem to have rather different personalities. Wouldn't they get ready in different ways?

Personally, I skimmed this. It sounded boring to me (mostly from the restart at the beginning), and it was hard to read this as one large chunk. Your dialogue, if long, should follow the same rules as anything else you're writing: when you begin a new idea, you begin a new paragraph. The way to do this with quotes is when you finish the paragraph, you don't end the quote. When you start a new bit of dialogue, though, you put the quotes at be beginning, like so:

"First idea
"Second idea
"Final idea"

Zoë obviously did not do this to Phoebe.

Personally, seeing "obviously" in prose bugs me. I find it stops the flow, because you're assuming the reader hasn't gotten that something is going on, and they usually have. You could re-work the sentence and the one following it so they fit together without "obviously"

“That was brilliant!”
“Super”
“Totally”
“You said it!”

You have a case of talking heads here. Talking heads is when you have several lines of tagless dialogue. Now, in a two person conversation talking heads are acceptable for a few lines, but when dealing with more then two people it is a good idea to use tags.

Look through everything to get rid of talking heads like this. You don't need to replace it with "said tags" (tags after the dialogue) and it would really benefit from "Action tags" (tags in front of the dialogue but in the same paragraph)

There should be something here that shows Zoe's change of tone. Perhaps put Zoe about to pass the ball to Phoebe and her leaving the court?

“I don’t care! I broke a nail already and I’m sweating so much that I’ll start stinking in a minute or two—Where’s my deodorant?!”

I love this line, but usually there is only one exclamation mark and/or question mark at the end of dialogue.

Phoebe hated being called ‘Phony’ but Zoë was feeling a bit reckless at the moment because Phoebe had ruined the basketball match by quitting when the game had just started.

Okay, this sentence might be grammatically correct but it is heard to read. Break it up into smaller sentences to make it more understandable.

Strategy time.

Hmm, I like the showing you're doing here, but I find something is missing. Maybe a look between two of them that shows they've done this before, and that the way you've shown it is the way things normally happen?

A line like: Mila and Pat exchanged glances. It was strategy time.

Pat and Phoebe had always been rather close, Phoebe liked Pat because she was so quiet and if it hadn’t been for her, Pat would be a big nerd with no dress sense. Mila and Zoë had always been a twosome. So Mila sat at a safe distance from the net while Zoë banged the ball around. Mila waited. She knew that Zoë wanted to think before saying anything to anyone. Zoë began to dribble a football up and down the court.

1- Break this up into paragraphs (the info on Pat and Phoebe into one, the info on Mila and Zoe in another). It would make it easier to read. 2- You never really tell us why Mila and Zoe are a twosome, while you tell us why Pat and Phoebe are best friends. Since Mila is your narrator (if I remember correctly) then it would really be a good idea to explain that.

It always seemed that the last lesson was the hardest in which to control the girls, at least that was Ms. Jefferson’s opinion.

The way this is worded you've made these lines Ms. Jefferson's viewpoint. If you were to add a line at the end such as:

She made it clear every time the last bell rolled around that they were too noisy.

Or something along those lines. That way you don't switch.

While Mila was telling them about a music concert of a rock band that would be coming up soon and how she was studying hard for her violin exam, Zoë was asking them if they would come and watch the final match of table tennis that night for support. Phoebe was begging Pat to accompany her to the mall the following day while Pat was talking about how much work she was doing and asking them if they were studying for their exams.

Oh-kay, I get what you're doing here by showing their personalities, but maybe this would read better as actual dialogue and not a summery. Like, have each person say something about what they want to do instead of giving us this block of description.

Quoting this to let you know where you have nicely kept to Mila's narration. You tie things into her head. The only thing to point out is to put any thoughts in italics. I believe "weird" is a thought.

Somehow, the bell was heard over the din and their classmates gathered their things and left, one or two thumping them on their backs as they did so.

Your pronoun/antecedent relationship is off here. "Them" and "they" are often used interchangabley, but here they are referring to two different groups. Use proper terms like "the classmates" to avoid that.

She was still determined to find the cause or reason to Pat’s new, strange and silent mood but she would forget it – well for now.

These lines (if changed from third to first) could be read as thoughts or as the author showing their hand a little too much. Usually lines like "for now" are the author hinting that this problem will show up again, when, if it's a main subplot, it would be better to show us that it'll keep coming up.

If you do decide to keep the "well for now" at the end of this, might I suggest adding in a line about how Mira just wanted to have fun for the time being? That would make it work

“We’re sharing a cabin right?”

Okay, I loved this until I reached "Pat said knowingly." You have already established that Pat is talking you don't need to put that in. Also, "Zoe cleared her throat in a dignified manner and changed the subject" is a tag. You can have it start the next bit of dialogue, like so:

Pat said knowingly.
Zoë cleared her throat in a dignified manner and changed the subject. “We’re sharing a cabin right?”

(Note on above example: I just kept the "Pat said knowingly" tag so I wouldn't have to show something that didn't need changing)

~~~

Viewpoint: You're still flirting with an omniscient viewpoint here. I have pointed out where you've stuck nicely to a single viewpoint in your narration. Use that as a guide for how to write the rest of it.

Characters: We're getting more of the different personalities here, but we could use a little more. I've pointed out where you have room to put more in. Also, we aren't seeing much of how Mira views the world, even though it's her narration.

Tags: You use dialogue tags exclusively here, which isn't really a good thing. By putting things at the end we need to keep reading to find out who's talking, and we also don't get much description. As for how to get a tone of voice without using dialogue tags, if you describe the action correctly you should be able to tell what the tone of voice is. I have pointed out where you've used action tags nicely.

Overall: You're idea in itself is amazing. I love Atlantis and things are looking very promising. However, I feel you need to work on your execution. That will come with practice and critiques. Check out the Knowledge Base (found here) for good articles.

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey

We wandered the halls of an infinite magic nursing home, led by a hippo nurse with a torch. Really, just an ordinary night for the Kanes.
— Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire