z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Davey

by Mike17jones


David lurched forward violently.

‘See, I told you that’s what you need’. Spitting in disgust at his own weak vulnerability David answered the malicious voice in his head: ‘Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.’

Still bending over, his head between his knees and the fingers of his greasy fringe struggling to push themselves that extra centimeter that would see them touch the floor, he started to cry. Then the voice that David hated, yet craved, came drifting into his head once more: ‘you gave in didn’t you? You feeble piece of shit.’ Tears slithered their way down his cheek, escaping the crimson red bloodshot eyes. Letting go of the cylindrical tube, weaponed with a deathly black needle; ‘the wasp sting’, the voice liked to call it, the visibly ill, bedraggled, exhausted addict wept again. It would come soon.

Venom cursed through his pulsing veins causing him to jerk sporadically; dropping harshly on wooden floor, David felt a surge of pain explode in his right shoulder. He quickly forgot about that, however, with the spontaneous movements of his limbs slapping against the floor. His body flexed and twisted as if something was forcing its way out of it; as if David was harbouring a monster of devastating capabilities. His tongue hung over his poisonous purple lower lip, scarred and bleeding from the aftermath of his jaw opening, closing, causing his few teeth to bite, release, bite and release. Then, for David, everything went black.

Stained curtains flew in opposite directions, the latch that would secure the window repeatedly smashed against the frame and the echoes of innocent children filtered through the room. A tender voice woke David from his slumber. ‘Davey lad, bin those ghastly tubes, and save yourself. Will you? For me old pal?’ Trickles of sweat flee from his brow only to be trapped in the bunker containing his narrow slits for eyes. One more reason for David not to awake fully: the tremendous sting of salty tears penetrating his sensitive, unprotected funeral black beads. Normally, he would ignore this voice, for the overwhelming guilt that engulfed him when answering was too much for him to bare. This voice cared, this voice wanted him to survive. Today was different, the slender frame of a man answered drowsily: ‘You don’t understand.’

‘Yes I do Davey lad. You need to ignore the bastard that lingers in your head and listen to me.’

‘I try to, I swear’, David replied rather hoarsely.

‘Do you want to continue living?’.

‘Yes.’ Silence erupted. Even the joyful screams of the little ones ceased.

Concluding that the voice had left, he intended to rise and get washed. However, he had intended to stop years ago and that failed miserably. Realising, too late, that he couldn’t support his weight, he collapsed to the floor: an experience that happened all too often. Lying there long enough for him to recover some strength, some energy sapped from the deepest reserve within his body, he crawled agonizingly slowly to the door that guarded the bathroom. Managing to haul his body into the bath, David turned on the tap and let the hellish hot water envelope his bare legs and climb to his waist before he switched it off. Not a sound uttered from David’s bruised lips. He found the intense heat of the water somehow comforting.

He always felt calm after a dosage. He always found himself in a state of total peacefulness and always wondered if this was what meditation felt like. David knew that this state of mind would only last a couple of minutes, so he savoured every last second of it. It would soon come.

A vehement pain surfaced at the rear of his skull. It spread like wildfire, incinerating all areas of his mind. It took hold of David; his head shook convulsively. The demon within tormented its victim.

As soon as it came, it was gone. Just like that: as though this was only a quick change over at a train station.

He heard him again. Only whispers at first, but he became increasingly louder, became increasingly indignant. David tried to suppress it. His effort fruitless: ‘LISTEN. LISTEN. LISTEN TO ME’. The malevolent voice giggled in triumph; not the cute giggle of a sweet little child, but the sadistic giggle of evil. It had David’s attention.

‘Hello there Davey. How are we doing today aye?’ hissed the, apparently pleased, voice.

‘go away, please, oh god, go away’ David ushered, quietly.

‘What’s that Davey? You want me gone? You know, as well as I do, how you do that.’

‘Not again. Please no.’

‘Yes, Davey. Inject old wasp sting over there’.

He shook his head.

‘YES.’ Another shake.

‘Do it! Do it now!’

Then a thought hatched. David lifted his head and spoke, ignoring the un-relenting burn in his throat, ‘Yeh, I do know a way out’. The voice, either stunned into it or waiting on an advancement, went silent.

With a sudden movement, David plunged his head underwater. Gripping the sides of the bath and forcing his head down, he unleashed a determination; a determination to die. A quite different voice spoke this time: ‘Davey, what are you doing? Live, please live. He will go, this isn’t the way out! Davey?’, this was the reassuring voice that David couldn’t handle. Some way, he had to push this voice away or he definitely wouldn’t have it him to finish this. He gripped harder, pushed his head down with a vengeful force. He opened his eyes. He opened his mouth. He let the water rush into his mouth, forcing its way around his teeth. The water, so pure, so clear, so natural, took on, through no fault of its own, a murderous role.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 5401
Reviews: 72

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:58 am
BadNarrator wrote a review...



a coworker of mine used to work in a mental hospital. part of the training involved exercises to give the employees a better understanding about what it's like to have a mental illness. during one exercise he had to sit in a chair while two other people held cardboard tubes to each of his ears and whispered words off a script to him. the person on one side whispered hateful things like, "you're scum and I think you should die," while the other person whispered encouraging things like, "I love you, you're so beautiful" and so on. the purpose of this exercise was to show the person what it's like to have schizophrenia.

I'm telling you this long-winded anecdote because that's what this piece made me think of, a person with a mental disease who self-medicates. one thing I would have liked to see was more detail about the drug itself and the sensations the user felt from using it. from my own experience I know that different types of drugs give the user different types of highs. what would seem pleasant and relaxing, or exhilarating to one user would feel nauseating to another. I want to know what it is about this drug that makes it David's drug of choice.

also, we need to know more about David. what's his back story? how did he come to be in the state he's in when the story begins? I don't think you should make describe his life story necessarily, just give us something that hints at happier days. a garter-belt from a friend's wedding. the collar of a childhood pet or something. I don't know, you decide. it's your story.

anyway, I hope that was helpful. I look forward to reading more of your work.




User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:11 pm
Gravity says...



I'm sorry. I couldn't get through this whole short story. Your dialogue is quoted wrong. For example instead of '(dialogue)' It's supposed to be "(dialogue)". When a new character speaks, you start a new paragraph. This story was confusing. If I understood even the beginning parts right, then this is basically a copy of Jekyll and Hyde. So I'm sorry, but all of your grammar mistakes ere too distracting. I have OCD. Tons of things drive me nuts.
The other thing was you kept switching the tenses and it was awkward. You went from past to present in some sections and it was distracting.
I really liked your descriptions, I thought they were great and I liked your style. I just didn't like this story because of grammar and confusion. :)



Random avatar
Mike17jones says...


okay, I understand what you're saying; I never have been that good at grammar. I'll work on it!





Again, I'm sorry. I know I can be harsh.



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:11 pm
Gravity wrote a review...



I'm sorry. I couldn't get through this whole short story. Your dialogue is quoted wrong. For example instead of '(dialogue)' It's supposed to be "(dialogue)". When a new character speaks, you start a new paragraph. This story was confusing. If I understood even the beginning parts right, then this is basically a copy of Jekyll and Hyde. So I'm sorry, but all of your grammar mistakes ere too distracting. I have OCD. Tons of things drive me nuts.
The other thing was you kept switching the tenses and it was awkward. You went from past to present in some sections and it was distracting.
I really liked your descriptions, I thought they were great and I liked your style. I just didn't like this story because of grammar and confusion. :)




User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 818
Reviews: 95

Donate
Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm
Clarity wrote a review...



Well, you had my attention throughout all of this! I enjoyed it tremendously.

You're quite talented, I have to say. And I don't have anything major to point out, pretty much only minor things that bothered me.

‘See, I told you that’s what you need’. Spitting in disgust at his own weak vulnerability David answered the malicious voice in his head: ‘Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.’

Now, I'm debating with myself over this one... I can't decide whether 'need' is right, or 'needed' is. I don't think it matters that much... But take it into consideration. Also, I think you need to put '...vulnerability, David...' Having the comma makes the sentence flow a lot better. Also, one thing you do throughout the story is putting putting a full stop/comma after your quote marks, put them inside your quote marks, as part of the speech.

Venom cursed through his pulsing veins causing him to jerk sporadically; dropping harshly on wooden floor, David felt a surge of pain explode in his right shoulder.

I think you mean 'coursed'.

‘Do you want to continue living?’.

You don't need this full stop.

He always felt calm after a dosage. He always found himself in a state of total peacefulness and always wondered if this was what meditation felt like. David knew that this state of mind would only last a couple of minutes, so he savoured every last second of it. It would soon come.

You vary your sentence length really good in this paragraph, it works well.

go away, please, oh god, go away’ David ushered, quietly.

Capital G?

With a sudden movement, David plunged his head underwater. Gripping the sides of the bath and forcing his head down, he unleashed a determination; a determination to die. A quite different voice spoke this time: ‘Davey, what are you doing? Live, please live. He will go, this isn’t the way out! Davey?’, this was the reassuring voice that David couldn’t handle. Some way, he had to push this voice away or he definitely wouldn’t have it him to finish this. He gripped harder, pushed his head down with a vengeful force. He opened his eyes. He opened his mouth. He let the water rush into his mouth, forcing its way around his teeth. The water, so pure, so clear, so natural, took on, through no fault of its own, a murderous role.

This was both a very good way to end the story, as well as bad. I say good because it concludes the suffering David has been going through, and you have used some really good description. But, it almost comes across as rushed; like you wanted to get the ending over and done with.

I reckon this is because you have only described how much David suffers... you have not given us anything that might suggest he would come to this conclusion. I see that it works as a surprise element, but it does come across as rushed. To solve this, you could add another paragraph somewhere, just adding more detail into what this voice and addiction does to David; if you do this, it may not come across as such a rushed ending.


Overall, you did a really good job of this. It's just your punctuation that bothered me. But, I'm quite picky with that stuff.

I really enjoyed the story overall and it had me interested all the way through!

Keep writing, because you have great potential!

-Clarity. :)



Random avatar
Mike17jones says...


Thanks for the good comments and useful feedback!!




The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star