Naomi (Penny) Fowler, 1923-2005

by MichaelPlaysWithStars

The flight was miserable, but less miserable than I had expected. The three-year-old behind me was adorable, even though he pulled my hair and drooled a bit. I’m tired and I really just want to sleep, but the city lights are always catching my eye as they flash past. It’s a good thing that I don’t live in this city of angels; even my tiny aunt with her withered old bug eyes is a terror behind the wheel. Palm trees and baseball diamonds fly by; I wish I could fly, fly away from here.

---

My bedroom, the ‘ocean room’, smells like sand and old fabric. All the most valuable treasures are in little boxes, waiting to be opened and broken. In the halls there are eyes everywhere, smiling eyes frozen in time and dead eyes that look right through you; Uncle Cal’s trophies. It’s almost like being in the wilderness, with trees jutting through wherever they please; up here they’re no man’s property. Dad says that Santa Maria will not be near so relaxing, so I should enjoy the mountain peace while I can. I wonder if he’s talking about the town itself or not.

---

The house feels like it is waiting, like Grandma has gone to the store and soon she’ll be bustling in the door with bags full of things from the Latin market. Dad’s gone to find a taco truck for dinner, but I think he’s just cowering, afraid that entering this old place will mean that she’s really gone. The aged volumes cry dust and musk as Aunt Carol piles them into boxes. The breeze blowing in the windows smells like Mexicans and poverty; Uncle Cal says that we shouldn’t leave them open in this part of town.

---

The waitress looks irritated the instant that we walk in the door; probably a hole-in-the-wall like Pappy’s isn’t used to playing host to an unofficial reunion. My cousins and their children pour in the door after me. All these grade-schoolers are a far cry from the toddlers and babies I met six years ago. The Dalke boys all sit around Aunt Carol, probably guilty that they don’t come to visit as often as she’d like. Dad sits next to Barry’s wife Kayleen, who yells at little Andrew all through breakfast. The empty chair between Calvin Jr. and me whispers the unease some people feel around certain others, family or not. They must think that homosexuality is like some kind of disease; if you’re around it too much, you’re sure to catch it. I guess that’s why Dad stopped coming to Christmas dinner after Mom asked Jody to move in.

---

I’m trying to forget about my blue toes as I watch to seals sleeping along the shoreline, wrapped up warm in their layers of thick fat. Amanda offers me her coat, but I don’t take it; it probably feels like dirt and old cigarettes and I don’t want it, even though I know that her fat will keep her warm like the seals. Women shouldn’t be built so big, they’re too cruel to hold physical power. I saw her yelling at Todd last night, towering and pushing and spitting her crude contentions all over my good night. I wish that he would leave her, but the same force holds him at home that keeps him from work each Saturday and keeps meat from his diet; a good Adventist never disobeys the Lord’s law. Dad must never have really paid attention in Sabbath School.

---

The funeral is ending and everyone is leaving the dining hall with their bellies full of the food that those meek Korean women made. Dad says that’s what they’re good for, they’ve always cooked for the potlucks. He is done crying now, reduced to glaring at the people with salty tears rolling down their dark cheeks. Grandma’s friends. Dad tells Troy to take her picture down before they wet all over it.

Cisneros-style snapshots of my trip to California for my Grandmother's funeral, to explain the weirdness.

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:18 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

RandomTalks here with a short review!

I really liked your way of narration. It felt like snippets taken from someone's journal. At times, I felt like I was intruding some private moments, observations that weren't meant to be read by another person. And your way of narration made it feel all the more personal. It made more sense when I reached the end and realized that this was indeed drawn from personal experiences. On that note, I know its been years, but if you are reading, I am really sorry for your loss.

Now moving on with the review! I really liked your decision to keep each section of the narration short and separate. It made it feel like we were glimpsing into random, private moments of a person's life. What's more interesting is that we did not need to have any prior context to actually invest ourselves in the story. We still felt attached to the narrator, and we enjoyed the little snippets he/she provides from their life. The shortness of the sections actually adds a kind of finality to them, like moments in a person's life that are gone forever.

I also liked how you painted a picture of the relations between the members of the family without actually ever introducing them to us. For example, we don't know any of the names that kept cropping up on this short narrative and yet, it did not really matter. I could still imagine the narrator's cousins and the siblings as if I had known them for a long time. Even the narrator's opinion of certain relatives were so strong that the reader feels compelled to listen and believe them.

You have portrayed a really short and simple story here with much deeper significance than one realizes at first glance. Your writing style and grammar is very well-developed and I did not face any road blocks even once while reading. You have a way of subtly infusing emotions into text and it works wonderfully on page.

This was a great and simple story and I enjoyed reading it very much!

Keep writing and have a great day!

Acid_Fairy wrote a review...

no it isn't bad at at all! i liked it. i liked how you described this part:

'The house feels like it is waiting, like Grandma has gone to the store and soon she’ll be bustling in the door with bags full of things from the Latin market.'

well writen keep it up!

Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:29 am

Geez, is it really that bad? :cry:

Please, somebody REPLY!!!!

"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening