z

Young Writers Society



Your father's son

by Meta-Messiah


We gorge ourselves
thus we grow fat
and drink therefore
our livers rot,
unconsoled we hurtle on
towards the fate our fathers knew
slow suicides to save their sons


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
227 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 227

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:11 pm
Mad says...



Ahh sorry that was me misreading it.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:41 am
Meta-Messiah says...



I would change it to "liver's" but seeing as how it is neither, the abbreviated or the "rot" that belongs to the liver i dont feel that it is necessary. But i think i may take you up on the full stop.




User avatar
227 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 227

Donate
Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:35 am
Mad wrote a review...



our livers rot,


Could you make livers, liver's? I thought it was something quite different when I first read it.

Short and to the point. In this case the conciseness enhances the message. I feel like life for those sons is short through the length of your poem.

Possibly a full stop at the end of "livers rot", just to divide the poem up more so the two parts are clearly defined.

The alliteration of "slow" and "suicides" works well in the final line. Overall it is a good poem due to its content. Because of its direct manner I can really feel the death more. Just add in a little more punctuation, it will help the sentences lead on to each other.





Oh, Brightlord Tumul! How unexpected it is to see you standing there! I didn't mean to insult your stupidity. Really, it's quite spectacular and worthy of much praise.
— Wit (Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings)