z

Young Writers Society



The Monster

by Messenger


It stalks in a cave, prancing left, right

Like a monster in the dark, creeping in the cold night

It is trapped, caged, thrashing about furiously

Planning its escape, it’s every move, meticulously

-

The iron bars of its cage threaten to bend, to break

It slithers about effortlessly, like a snake

The cage can barely contain it, it battles every day

It weakens the sides, and the lock breaks away

-

It lashes out, claws sharp, fangs gleaming

It rips everything apart with growling and screaming

All barriers crack, all Hell breaks loose

It spares none, it sends them all to the noose

_

The chaos complete, it settles once more

But if it is riled it will scrape to the core

Of everything decent, of everything kind

Not realizing that it's putting itself in a bind

-

It is this thing called Anger, and you better beware

If you let it take over, nothing will it spare



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sat May 02, 2015 11:27 pm
View Likes
TheSignSeeker19 says...



Hi, I loved the imagery of your poem. Anger as a metaphorical monster was an interesting theme. Most of what was described could be likened to anger but you could have made stronger metaphors. But I understand that you may have wanted to be subtle about it. Realizing it was anger that you were talking about gave the end of your poem a dramatic effect.




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sat May 02, 2015 1:25 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

Figured I'd come leave a review since I think this poem is awesome :)

I'll start with a flyby of your poem: it's a poem that personifies anger and everything that comes with it.

Now, this is something I don't normally do because I like to review from beginning to end, but I wanted to start with talking about the ending. I feel like you missed a big opportunity to make this more powerful than it already is. Let's look at the last three lines:

It is this thing called Anger, and you better beware

If you let it take over nothing will it spare

Anger

(I don't know if the last 'anger' here is meant to be part of the poem or not seeing as it's in italics, but I'm just going to assume it is) In this entire poem, the word 'anger' isn't mentioned once until these last three lines when it's mentioned twice. We're sitting here reading through this poem, wondering what it's even about. Then we reach that third to last line and it's all revealed, yet the poem isn't over yet. It's almost like the climax of a story, the great reveal, and then everything trickles down after that. The thing with poetry is, you don't have to have that. Sometimes the most powerful image/feeling/whatever comes at the very end and you can just leave it as that. Personally, I think that would've made for a stronger ending.

I'll move onto nitpicks (which I enjoy much more in poetry than prose because every word counts and all that jazz):
Spoiler! :
Planning its escape, it’s its every move, meticulously

An easy mistake to make.

It slithers about effortlessly, it slides like a snake

This is a bit repetitive. I know that repetition is good in poetry, but with it in the same line it doesn't work too well. 'Slithers' has a connotation of a slithering snake. At least, that's what first pops into my mind. So saying 'it slides like' is basically saying it slithers. I like the simile here and I think it'll work better if you just leave the part about the snake. It could read something like: "It slithers about effortlessly, like a snake". Or, you know, something along those lines.

It spares none, it sends them all to the noose

The 'them' here doesn't fit perfectly into the rhythm, I feel. It kind of slows it down a bit. This is a fast paced poem that reads through boom boom boom. There doesn't seem to be any room for extra words or syllables. It sounds like there's something extra here. This line would read smoother without it. It's just something really small, but it does have a big effect.

Not realizing that it is putting itself in a bind

The same thing applies here. If you combine 'it is' to make 'it's', the line will flow much better.

If you let it take over nothing will it spare

I'm pretty sure there should be a comma before 'nothing'.


I want to applaud you on your rhyming. To be honest, I didn't even realize it was a rhyming poem until I read through it to specifically look for things. Reading it through just to enjoy it, I didn't notice the rhyming. It's cool how you were able to camouflage that and not let it take away from the overall feeling/message of the poem.

There is no punctuation at the end of the lines of this poem, which is perfectly fine. In fact, I like the way it reads. Anger is something that comes and goes so quickly that you don't even think about it. So to have a poem that goes on and on without a seeming end, really represents the overall image you're trying to portray here. However, I do want to suggest maybe adding a break, either a period or creating a new stanza, between the lines "The chaos complete, it settles once more" and "But if it is riled it will scrape to the core". The only reason I bring that up is because it feels like two different parts of the poem. Up to line 13, the poem focuses on the intensity and evilness of anger. The images are sharp and intense, anger filled even. Then starting at line 14, the images become softer (in language at least) and less direct. Those lines don't exactly fit perfectly with the earlier ones. A break would really separate the two overall images and really make the reader think.

Now, about the title. Is there a specific reason why you called this Poem? You know, besides the obvious that it's a poem? :P The title doesn't really seem to have any relation to the message of the poem. The poem is about anger and the harsh sides of it, but that's not reflected in the title. I don't need to lecture you about titles because I know you know all about them, so I'll just leave you with this. Really think about your title. It can be yet another dimension that adds to your poem.

Overall this is a very well written poem. The message is clear and the writing is solid. I didn't see any breaks in the flow except for the few small ones I pointed out. It's a common subject that I see in a lot of writing, but you did well making it your own and creating something powerful from it. I really enjoyed it :)

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




Messenger says...


Thanks Noelle, I fixed it all up :)



Noelle says...


I really love the new title :D



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 312
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat May 02, 2015 1:15 am
View Likes
liv1997 wrote a review...



Hi! I really enjoyed this poem. At the beginning I didn't know exactly what you were describing, I pictured an animal of some sort. The way you wrote and used descriptive language made it clear by the end that you were talking about anger, and I thought that was very clever. My favorite part was the last two lines, "It is this thing called anger...will it spare." It really hits you. I liked how you aren't too direct, but you get your point across.

I didn't see any grammar errors overall, my only tip is to maybe include more punctuation. It will help the reader get the flow of the poem more and not have to guess. For example, adding periods at the end of each line would slow the reader down and probably make them really take it what you wrote.

Overall, I really liked it a lot, please write more!




User avatar
284 Reviews


Points: 4250
Reviews: 284

Donate
Fri May 01, 2015 3:58 pm
View Likes
RubyRed wrote a review...



Hey Nunya here to review! I thought this was a very clever poem, however I have some tips. You don't have any periods after your stanzas. No one can tell where you want the rhythm to stop and pick up again, so put some periods and commas at the end. I also think you should name the poem anger cause if it's just "Poem" people think it will be boring and this is far from that. Keep writing!

~Nunyabusiness





You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster