Shocked

by Messenger

This is rated 16 for language, but there is none. I rated it higher because I wasn't sure how gory or creepy, people might find it. And 16 was the next after 12. Enjoy!

Angelina dashed down the sidewalk, heart beating at the rate of a galloping horse. She had lost her flip flops, not caring to pick them up, too frightened to stop. Her bare feet hurt as they pounded on the concrete, but she ignored it. Her modest one-piece bathing suit restricted her from running at her full speed, but she still managed to get to her house within seconds.

She slammed the door behind her, then stood still, trying to catch her breath. He whole body was shaking violently. Her mom called from somewhere in the house.

“Angel is that you?”

Angelina took a few seconds to respond, not trusting herself to speak at first. “Y-yeah mom.”

“Please don’t slam the door so hard, OK?”

“Yeah, sorry,” Angeline said.

She finally pulled herself together and skipped up the stairs. She reached her bedroom and quickly grabbed some clothes to change into and then ran to the bathroom. She couldn’t stop the shaking as she turned the water on and let it warm up. Neither could she help glancing behind her to make sure no one was there, even though she had locked the door.

She hopped in, but no matter the temperature of the water she shivered. Her mind was racing a million miles an hour, trying to comprehend what she had just seen. It wasn’t possible was it? Things like that didn’t happen. Did they?

In her little neighborhood! No! And yet she had seen it. She let the warm water stream down her face. Then she quickly spun around, scared that there might be someone there. Stop it! she yelled to herself mentally, no one is in here. No one is going to attack you. But it was possible. She had just seen it was possible for one of her friends to be in a so-called safe environment and still be . . .

Angeline shuddered at the thought. The remembrance of their walk home from the pool. They had been talking about a sleepover. Then the beast had leaped out of nowhere. Angeline had fallen backwards. When she had gotten up her friend was gone. Blood and guts were all over the sidewalk. Her friend was gone.

Angeline realized she had had her eyes closed and jerked them open wide-eyed. What if that person, or worse yet beast, was lurking just outside the door, waiting for her to come out? What if it had killed her mother and siblings already?

No, it can’t be! She quickly shut off the water, listening intently. There was no noise. She gulped. It wasn’t normal. Greg and Carl would usually be making plenty of noise. She had heard them when she had come in, hadn’t she? Yes. No . . . maybe? She couldn’t remember. She was becoming freezing, standing there. She quickly toweled herself and dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. She shakily pulled on her socks and listened for noise as she scooped up her bathing suit and towel from the floor.

Cautiously she grabbed the handle. You're sixteen! you don’t have to be so terrified! Or do you? Your friend was just . . . destroyed. She summoned up all the courage she could muster and yanked the door wide open. It banged against the little thing that protected the door from hitting the wall. It recoiled loudly.

“Angelina!” her mom called from downstairs, “what are you doing?”

Angelina sighed. Her mom was safe. “Sorry mom, just opened the door a little too hard. My hands are kinda full.” Which wasn’t true.

“Well don’t bring the house down on us, please.”

Angelina went to her room, threw her clothes in her dirty clothes bin and hung up her towel. She sat on her bed, a little relieved, but not by much. After all just because she was safe didn’t mean that the thing could come back and kill them in two minutes. Angelina tried to remember what it looked like, But it had happened too fast. She was knocked away from the attack. She lost sight of her friend for just a few seconds. Then everyone was gone.

Angelina hesitated to tell her mother. She knew it sounded ridiculous for those who weren’t there when it happened. Besides, monsters didn’t exist. so they say, she thought. But no human would’ve made that vicious and bloody of an attack so quickly.

Finally she ran out of her room down the stairs and to the left into the living room. Her mom was on a beige couch, on her laptop. Angelina slid to a stop, nearly toppling into the ottoman. Her mom viewed her.

“What is wrong with you Angel?”

“Mom,” Angelina said hesitantly. She could feel her voice breaking. “Mom, I was walking home from the pool with Sarah.” Suddenly the words came in a rush as her voice broke like and dam, and quite literally the water busted out of her eyes. “Andamonsterattackedusandshewaskilled!” Her voice was a shriek and she crashed down onto her mom’s lap.

“Whoa,” her mom said surprised, then slowly as she realized something was majorly wrong, she cradled Angeline in her arms. Angelina didn’t move. Her body wracked with sobs.

Her mother spoke softly and gently. “Angel, it’s OK. Shh, shh it’s gonna be fine.” She began to rub her hands through Angelina’s hair. It was a gesture her mom did often when Angelina was upset. It soothed her and helped her release tension. It always was a reassurance of her mother’s love. And it made her feel safe.

Today it did nothing for Angelina.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:33 am
JohnLocke1 wrote a review...

Hello, my friend.

First, I don't really focus on grammar, but everything seemed fine to me. I'm sure that someone far more intelligent than I will find something grammatically incorrect.

Second, be careful. A monster stalking a teenage girl who is scared in showers and can't believe that supernatural creatures exist can be repetitive. Keep it interesting. Make choices that no other writer would. Otherwise, a reader isn't going to want to read the story. Of course, I have no idea what is going to happen next. But I have a few guesses. Just don't fall into the pit of overuse.

Third, please. One of the first thoughts that goes through this girl's head is that she isn't concerned about her flip flop. So, I assumed that she had just seen something mildly scary. Then, several, several paragraphs down, we learn that he friend was literally eviscerated in front of her? No, no. That made me lose the connection with this girl. The mom's reaction made me lose her, as well. When characters do something unrealistic, they automatically lose credibility. I write fantasy, so I usually have my characters firing spells at one another and flying through the air. However, unless they do it believably, they will be boring characters. Readers want to relate, and this girl seems like she is perfectly fine with seeing casual, friend murder. Of course, I do not know what happens next, so there may be a perfectly reasonable reason for this reaction.

Fourth, this could be fantastic. You are an amazing writer. I see it in your words. You just need to have some frank discussions with yourself about what exactly you want this story to be. There is potential for a fantastic horror novel. Do continue with it.

Please, keep me posted about this. I would love to read the next installment. Happy Writing!

TheMessenger says...

Thank you. This was just an idea that popped in my head a few days ago. I don't really intend on continuing it, but you do still help me for in the future!

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:02 am
Pan says...

This is great! I like the plot, and I didn't see any problems with the grammar, but is it just one chapter? I mean, I really like it, anyways Cx
Before, you said her name was Angelina, then you say that it's Angeline. Which is it?
Nextly, I like the plot, the details.
Good job!
~Pen

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:51 am
Sonder wrote a review...

Hey Messenger! It is I, Griffin, to review this lovely work of yours.

First off, this is an interesting idea you have going. A mysterious monster attacking a young girl a in neighborhood. I like it. However, what you have here seems a little incomplete. While your character seems well developed, her reaction to the attack seems out of place.
If it were me returning home after seeing my friends guts on the sidewalk, I would probably tell someone before changing out of my swimsuit. I mean, call 911 or something. I understand that she could have been in shock, but it seemed really odd for her to change and then go sobbing to her mother.
It is really well written, don't get me wrong. I love your character. Just saying, the reaction seems off. :) If you mean for her to be in shock, I would make it more obvious.
Overall, I enjoyed this piece. It is well written and has little grammatical error. I think it could be vastly improved, however. If you want any ideas, feel free to ask.

Keep writing and being amazing! Go Beasts!

~GC

TheMessenger says...

I actually realized the reaction part after I had written it. I will jump on it soon.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:50 am
comrie wrote a review...

Hey! I'm here to review! =)

First off, I have to say that I liked your story. I just noticed some problems in punctuation and grammar, but don't worry, I'll point them out to you. You don't have to use my suggestions in any way if you don't want to. So I'll point out the mistakes and later I'll let out all my thoughts =)

Here goes!

"Angel is that you?

I'd add a comma after Angel's name, so that it'll be "Angel, is that you?"

"Y-yeah mom."

Same thing here, sort of. Add a comma after "Y-yeah" because mom is being addressed here.

It wasn't possible was it?

Here, you add another comma. But it is after the word "possible." Right after it.

"Stop it!" she yelled to herself mentally, no one is here.

Okay, so here Angel's talking to herself. But in her head. I feel like with mental commands and thoughts, you can make it italicized. With the quotations, it looks like she's actually talking. I see that she says it mentally because you told me she did. But I feel like italics will rule out confusion for any others. So you can be like, < Stop it! she yelled to mentally. No one is here; no one is going to attack you. >

I separated it, making them two different sentences. This is just a personal preference, to be honest. I would have personally broken them, because to me, it looks better. But it's all up to you.

I also added a semicolon between the two sentences that start with "no one." Mostly because they're related, in a way, and putting a period sort of makes it look choppy. Again, my opinion, it's up to you and you can ignore this and everything I've said, haha.

The remembrance of their walk home from the pool

I feel like this is an incomplete sentence. To me, it looks incomplete, like "The remembrance of their walk home from the pool--" what? Did it make her shudder again? Cause her to double over? Stuff like that =P

When she had gotten up her friend was gone.

I'd add a comma after "up."

No, it can't be!

The story looks to be told in past tense, mostly. But this sentence is past tense. Try "No, it couldn't be!" So now it matches the story's overall tense.

She was becoming freezing, standing there

This sentence is kind of awkward. I'd remove the word "becoming." And then I'd probably flip the words around and say, "Standing there, she started to freeze." Make it simpler, you know?

You're sixteen! you don’t have to be so terrified! Or do you? Your friend was just . . . destroyed.

She's talking to herself again, right? Italicize to emphasize that. Right now it's sudden and doesn't make sense. So italicize, italicize, italicize! =) Thoughts, that is.

Get rid of the comma after "downstairs" and capitalize the "w" in "what." So it can be < "Angelina!" her mom called from downstairs. "What are you doing?" >

Try rearranging the words. Like, "Well, please don't bring the house down on us." Or something like that.

Angelina tried to remember what it looked like, But it had happened too fast.

The "But" does not need to be capitalized here. It's not the beginning of a sentence. But if you want it to be, then remove the comma and replace it with a period so it can read as two different sentences.

“What is wrong with you Angel?”

Throw a comma after "you." Angel's mom is addressing Angel.

Done with the nitpicking!

Time to talk about the story overall!

So I have to say that I really enjoyed this, despite the fact that something horrific happened. You show Angel's terror through her actions and thoughts so clearly. I especially liked how you compared her heart beat to the galloping of horses. It really told us, from the very start, that something was wrong.

I'm awfully intrigued about what this beast could be and how it managed to get Sarah and not Angel. Like, what kind of beast was it? Angel says stuff about "humans" so I'm guessing it's some otherworldly beast that's somehow gotten into the human world? I might be thinking to fantasy-ish, haha, but you know what I mean!

I'm kind of perplexed about her mom's reaction. Saying "it's okay" after hearing her friend got killed. Maybe it's because I know what Angel's thinking and so I have more grasp of the situation than the mother does, but dang =P Lol, mom, you should be calling 911! Or someone! But it's nice that she's comforting her daughter. I just hope later she calls the police or somebody!

Overall, this was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I think your only problem was through punctuation and grammar. You don't have to take my suggestions. Really, you don't. They're just that, suggestions. Use them as you wish, or don't use them at all if you don't want to. I'm cool either way =) Nice job!

TheMessenger says...

Oh this was most helpful. Thanks a lot! I will hop on those grammar problems soon. Also, I realize the reaction time is sorta awkward and I will be working on that as well. Thank you!

TheMessenger says...

I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola