Narnia and Back to the 2000s

by MemoryHunter

Sitting with my back leaned against the bedpost, my parents beside me snoring and heavy in sleep, I wiped my tears away as I watch Edmund, Lucy, Susan and Peter go through the portal into reality one last time. It was then that I realized, after high school and the joys of existential crisis, that the real world was not at all like Narnia or Hogwarts or Middle Earth. I stared into the TV screen and wondered if my ten-year old self would like the life she was living now.

I wasn’t even a huge fan of the Chronicles of Narnia. I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in third grade and stopped because Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys corrupted me. The few memories that I have of the Narnia universe were of me watching those three movies on our box-set television. However, rewatching Prince Caspian again after all those years, I tasted nothing but nostalgia.

Perhaps it all dawned on me when I heard Regina Spektor’s song, The Call, being played in the background as the four siblings left Narnia. Music had always been my little memorabilia, and the words “I’ll come back when you call me” brought me to my senses. I was no longer a child. A lot of things happened when I decided to grow older. A lot of decisions were made, and a lot of tears were shed. I could still keep watching The Chronicles of Narnia over and over again, but I wasn’t the same toothless kid with those funky Harry Potter glasses.

I had always wanted to know how Turkish Delights tasted. The first movie made it seem like Edmund was having a delicious time munching on them. I still had a fair amount of imagination back then, and thought those sweets tasted like soft, chewy and sweet salmon. The only problem I had encountered back then was how I could get Turkish Delights when I lived in a rather small Southeast Asian country with 7,107 islands. For me, the calm before the storm was that peacefulness in the household before my parents found out I did something wrong. Now, I have trouble sleeping at night because my brain likes to overthink and insidiously drag me into a highly anxious state beneath the blankets.

I also liked to stare at our closet wardrobe. It was a large, wooden closet and I was pretty sure that if I watched it long enough, it would become a portal to some fantasy universe. I don’t blame Narnia; I blame my naïve and hopeful youth. I used to climb inside the wardrobe and tightly close the doors. Ignoring the spiderwebs around the corners and that ominous feeling of someone beside me, I prayed for an escape from reality when I didn’t have any reason other than I was feeling bored. Now, I have plenty of reasons, but so little time and increasing maturity that I wouldn’t dare do something so childish. I still stare at my closet, and wonder what would happen if I dared.

Reminiscing to the old days isn’t really a fresh idea, but The Chronicles of Narnia, although taking up only a little portion of my lifetime, brought me to a world where everything finally genuinely felt okay. At least while it lasted.

SofieR wrote a review...

Sorry in advance, because this is going to be more of a reaction than a review, but wow. Oh man, I definitely feel this article in so many levels. I think a lot of us millennials do because we grew up with such a deep attachment to media. I mean, we were really the first generation that took our music, shows and movies literally everywhere with us with the help of walkmans, laptops, phones, portable DVDs and others. For me, it's those old Nickelodeon cartoons that get me. Doug, The Wild Thornberries, Rugrats, Ect... To this day I get such a weird sense of comfort out of watching reruns of these old cartoons. It's almost like a security blanket we can't shake off. Especially now, during such a crazy time in the country, I think we're all just looking ways to cure our anxiety and depression, and nostalgia definitely does that.

Anyway, rambling aside, I really related to all the points expressed in this piece. I think you have a really solid,even poetic voice at times. I especially like the line; "Now, I have trouble sleeping at night because my brain likes to overthink and insidiously drag me into a highly anxious state beneath the blankets". I think that puts into words a lot of the anxiety and tension so many of us feel. Great job on this! Can't wait to read more of your stuff :)

Ahh the Chronicles of Narnia!

I'm not quite sure if you're looking for reviews since this is written a bit in the style of a blog post (in fact I would suggest posting it on your YWS blog if that's something your interested in because I think a lot of people would relate to this content. :)

I think that you really nailed writing about that sort of odd feeling of growing older but still kind of clinging and remembering fondly things that used to bring us comfort and joy - like old book series, songs, and tv shows. Especially books, which bring us whole worlds to enjoy and emerse ourselves in, they become a part of us.

There also seems to be a lot of honesty in this piece too, I like that right off the bat you admit that Narnia's got you a bit weepy even though it wasn't like your favorite thing or anything, but just all those memories that come flooding back to you.

I think you could expand a bit more on why your reminiscing on it now, and what if anything Narnia and these memories mean to you today? Is there something that you can take from those stories and live with now? That would be an interesting addition to this piece, since there are certainly many life lessons to be gained from what we read and lose (or find) ourselves in.

Best of luck in your future writing!

~alliyha

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:33 am
TheLittlePrince says...

My Huntah's back at it again! This is really beautiful.

MemoryHunter says...

AYYYYYEEE! Awww thank you Rishik!

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm
Laurenh6 wrote a review...

Hey! This was a really interesting read- totally agree with @snowmonkey9 when saying it's relatable. Teenage years are definitely more stressful than younger years.. right, i'll give it a review!

Firstly, wanted to say I absolutely love your writing style! It's really natural and almost conversational, even comical, with enough formality to it. Especially when you say things like.. "but I wasn’t the same toothless kid with those funky Harry Potter glasses." Or "had always wanted to know how Turkish Delights tasted"..
So, well done, I thought it was really enticing!

I also love how you describe childhood imagination returning to you with your description of staring at the wardrobe and thinking of possibilities, gives me a nostalgic feeling.

Also, I wanted to ask are you from the Philippines by any chance? If so, that's really interesting I'd love to see you write about your home country.. it's so fascinating to see how many people from different cultures are on here. I'm from Britain by the way.

Lastly, I just wanted to say, I hope you're okay! You convey a lot of negative feelings about growing up n teenage years (which is relatable lol) but if you ever need anyone to talk to hit me up!

So, overall thought this was really interesting! If ya have any spare time on your hands please check out my Medium blog - would mean a lot :)
https://medium.com/@laurenhaughey6/the- ... 1531920899

MemoryHunter says...

Yessss I'm Filipino!!! Maybe the 7,107 islands part gave too much away ahahaha. Thank you for your lovely review! I'll definitely check out your blog~

MemoryHunter says...

MemoryHunter says...

Laurenh6 says...

Hahah yeah, knewww it! No worries though, and thank you! :)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:52 am
SnowGhost says...

Awesome. I enjoyed reading this, it was very relatable. :)

MemoryHunter says...

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

My tongue must tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart, concealing it, will break...
— Katherine, The Taming of the Shrew