Interview with a Vampire - Ann Rice

by Melodie

My mom and grandma always read Ann Rice and I always shook my head and put them off as over rated, basing the on the film "Queen of the Damned." It was a good movie but not really the kind of book I read. Recently I decided to watch "Interview with a Vampire" and in doing so realized what the fuss is all about. I was so impressed with Tom Cruise as Lestat and Kirsten Dunst as Claudia and the whole plot and script all together. But anyway I'm getting carried away this is supposed to be a book review.

So as a result as my finding the true Vampire Chronicles, I picked up my Mom's tattered "Interview with a Vampire." I am even more impressed with the book. I do admit that Louis is a whiner and really gives no justice to his vampire existance but Lestat on the other hand is an amazingly deep character with several conflicting emotions that is making me nearly scream to read "The Vampire Lestat," the next installment all told from Lestat's point of view.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 am
saoirse wrote a review...

Anne Rice is my favorite writer ever. She's amazing. I mean, I'm speechless. I don't even know how to say it.

Interview with the Vampire was a great movie. "Evil is a point of view." I love that quote. And I agree with Tom Cruise being great in that. I don't think there could ever be a more perfect actor to play him. It kind of freaked me out when I heard that Brad Pitt was playing Louis, because.......it just freaked me out. He was pretty darn good though. Kirsten Dunst as Claudia=amazing. Also perfectly chosen. And I find it hilarious that Antonio Banderas played Armand. Ha! I call him the Latin vampire.

Speaking of Armand, I am in love with him. I've been reading the books all out of order, so the first book I read with him in it was Queen of the Damned. It's one of my favorites, and he's my favorite character.

As for those who couldn't get into Interview With the Vampire, you should really try reading another one of her books. I think that's, so far, the most boring one. The others are much more interesting.

Also, concerning her religion, she's always mentioned the vampires as believing in God and some considering themselves damned because of what they are. So, I don't think she's making too much of a change.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:05 pm
Emerson wrote a review...

It's a bit odd that she'd suddenly get so religious

Well, from what I've read/heard about her, she grew up catholic and stayed strong with it until her adult years, and when her daughter died she was very depressed and drank a lot. If I'm correct, her husband also passed away (or perhaps it was only that he had a bad accident? I don't quite remember) a few years ago. Some people say this led her back to her catholic faith, but she says his death did not.

But....don't quote me on any of this XD I have terrible memory.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:43 am
luna_the_shiekah wrote a review...

I have yet to actually read her vampire work. Despite the fact I've been on a vampire binge the past month book wise. Maybe I'm inadvertantly rebelling?

Just kidding, it's mostly because the copies at my library are the hardcovers and I know I'll want to read it at school. It's practically another text book to carry...

Claudette wrote: I don't mind that she won't be writing about vampires. Some people are angry at her for it, but She's the author, she can write about what ever she wants.

I agree completely. It's a bit odd that she'd suddenly get so religious but at the same time, she's probably sick of writing about vampires and wanted a change.

Emerson wrote a review...

I read all the way up to The Vampire Armand, but stopped in the middle because I couldn't take it anymore, it was pushing pins into my brain. But I will finish that whole series, and the new vampire chronicles eventually. I would read her books in 1 week, spending the majority of the weekend reading. Taking chunks of 300 pages a day, I would be done in no time.

My only favorites, though, are Interview, Lestat, and Body Thief. Damned was not my favorite at all, but its Anne Rice, I like it either way. (Isn't it 'Anne'? I see people spelling it 'Ann' here.) I've seen the movie for Interview, which I loved. I don't see how so many people can say it was 'bad'. Most book-to-movies are bad because the author has no involvement, but Anne wrote the script for Interview. I haven't watched more than the beginning of Damned, I don't plan to watch any more of it either, it was so inaccurate!!!

And, isn't it that she converted back to Catholicism? I don't mind that she won't be writing about vampires. Some people are angry at her for it, but She's the author, she can write about what ever she wants.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:47 am
Persephonie84 wrote a review...

:o ~ I read and loved the Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. I have the movie too. It's pretty good but I am not to happy with some of the changes. Queen of the Damned was a pretty great read. Even though I found IWTV better. The movie didn't due it's justice to the story. The changes were extremely tacky :roll: . But I did enjoy the music. 8)

I alots of Anne Rice's novels, but not quite all. I haven't read the new one though.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:04 am
Elemental wrote a review...

I haven't had the chance to read the books, but after your review I'll try harder to find them. I, too, watched Queen of the Damned and I didn't really like it. I haven't seen Interview With a Vampire, but I hope to see it soon. I, too, agree about Lestat.

Prosithion says...

I never read the book, but i saw the movie, and it was terrible. I'm not into vampire stuff to begin with, but it was pretty bad.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:17 am
Poor Imp wrote a review...

I enjoyed the book and the film, one way or another. Morbidity seems a bit in opposition to enjoying something; maybe that's just etymologically. ^_~

Louis was only a bloody whiner (no pun) in the film. The book he may have been damnably depressed, somewhat suicidal - but he was looking for something more fulfilling than a non-life laced with blood and the constant suffering of his victims. Louis found his humanity - once it was too late - and tried to find a way back. On the other hand, Lestat was brilliant debonair and nonchalant about the most horrific things. Selfishly, he wanted companionship. But it was all about him.

Anne Rice has a peculiar way of going about the timeless questions of humanity. She finds the darkest hollow and looks up into a twilit sky. But she still asks the questions - meaning, purpose, life and death. The book(s) were interesting for that.

Cassandra wrote a review...

Picked up Interview at the book store back in seventh grade and proceeded to do a book report on it...my friend (also a bit morbid, quite like myself) also decided to do her book report on Interview. So my poor teacher had to read two reports about vampires. But it was pretty fun, because we were reading the book at the same time.

My mom is a bit leary about letting me read The Vampire Lestat, though...when I got the first book she was just like, "Ahh! It says 'erotic' on the back of this book!" So she doesn't want me to read the next one. I told her what she's doing is censorship, but she just said that she's my mom, and is therefore allowed to do that. :?

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:27 am
Nis says...

Well I guess I am like Louis because I am never happy even when I want to be, I have not read any other books by Anne Rice since my local library has only the three books I have read. I may need to checkout the others.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:44 pm
Melodie says...

There are more than three. Interview, Lestat, and Queen are only the FIRST three. Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil come after those three and then there are all the new vampire chronical books. Even then there are more because she combines the Mayfair witches with the vampires.

I don't like Louis because he's a whiner and he isn't happy no matter where he is. Even when he's happy he's not happy. There were so many things that Louis could have stopped but didn't. Lestat acts and searches for truth (even when he thinks he isn't)

I wouldn't call either one of the movies a "bore" Queen wasn't what it should have been, but I LOVE Interview.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:32 pm
Nis wrote a review...

I've read all three books. My favourites are Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat, I really hated Quuen of the Damned.

What is wrong with Louis? I liked his character as much as Lestat.

For me the movie was a bore (Interview and Queen of the Damned). There are alot of good books which are made into movies that are basically cr*p.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:10 pm
Melodie says...

I saw her on on of those morning shows the other day. She definantly did write it. It's called Christ our Lord:Out of Egypt and it's in the first person from Jesus about his early life. She claims to have reclaimed her Catholic roots.

Check it out on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

And yes she's finished with vampires. *goes off in a corner to mourn"

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:41 am
zelithon says...

If you want I could ask, it does not seem like it though.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:31 pm
Zion says...

Ten bucks says she got enlightnet so no more Vampires for her. Right?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:03 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I read an article that said that Ann Rice had turned religious. Her next project is a novel that follows Jesus, maybe even told by the Lord.

No more Vampires for her.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:30 am
Melodie says...

It's AWESOME. Lestat is a much MUCH deeper character than Louis. The rest of the books are pretty much about Lestat.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:34 pm
Zion wrote a review...

"....God has killed men. ANd so shall we."
~Lestat, Interview with the Vampire

Oh, how do I love that movie...*IwtV soundtrack starts playing, Arv bursts into a dance* I love everyhting about it. The actors, the sounds, everything...also Queen of the Damned. I want to read the 2nd book, about Lestat's Embrace, and acceptance of the dark gift...::sigh:: ::eyes sparkle::

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:42 am
Nefer says...

No I haven't but if you loved it I'm sure I will to. I'm gonna search the library for it...

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:30 pm
Melodie says...

Awesome. Have you read The Vampire Lestat? I'm about a fourth of the way through it now. So far I LOVE it.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:30 am
Nefer wrote a review...

"Drink my blood and live forever." -- Lestat.

I hate Louis and Brad Pitt but I liked Tom Cruise as Lestat.

I preferred the "Interview with a Vampire" movie to "Queen of the Damned", I also liked reading the book. I couldn't put it down! :D

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:16 am
Melodie says...

Who's Ann Rice?! oh my . ..

Anyway, I'll have to check out Regarding Vampires.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:26 pm
Sureal says...

When I posted Regarding Vampires on writing.com, I recieved a review saying that I could be the next Ann Rice...
I replied with, 'Who's Ann Rice?'

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:57 pm
Fishr wrote a review...

My Dad reads a lot and read both Interview and Damned. I thought it was hilarious when I found out, because I don't see him as the type to be reading about Vampires. I asked how were they and he claims he couldn't put the things down, unless his lids told him otherwise. ;)

Someday, I should read both books, then watch the movies. I like 'creepy' things - werewolves, vampires, skeletons, dragons, and the like.

Big horror fananic, right here! :D Just not an avid reader. :oops:

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:40 pm
zelithon says...

EVERYONE I know trys to give me writing lessons, her, my mom, my grandma, my teacher, alot of other people too.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Melodie says...

You know Ann Rice!? I agree DEMAND her teachings.

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:37 pm
Sureal says...

Demand writing lessons off her ;).

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:22 pm
zelithon says...

I have not read any of the books but I have met Ann Rice and my mom is freinds with her.

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:24 pm
Melodie says...

hmmm it did take me a while to get used to the style of her writing, especially in "Interview" because of the way Louis seems to be talking to me throughout.

I was impressed with Brad Pitt as I always am but I really dislike Louis. I can't really explain why. I'm very drawn to the character of Lestat for some reason.

Surreal, I agree about the music in "Queen" I actually own the soundtrack. I love it. It's just so sexy. Although I really wish I could have the songs sung by Jonathan Davis.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:17 pm
DarkerSarah wrote a review...

I think I was personally more impressed with Brad Pitt as Louis. I think he really captured the tortured essence of the character. Tom Cruise didn't do Lestat justice for me. *shrugs* Not that I didn't love the movie. Interview with a Vampire is the only book I've read of of hers. I really like her style, Sureal. I can see how you might not like it thought, it's really flowery and poetic. I like The Vampire Lestat, but I haven't been able to finish it, and I can't decide why. My mom loves them though, and no one on this board can really understand how strange that is.

*shrugs*

I think that Queen of the Damned lost the sensuality of Interview. Which is odd, because it was really a lot more blatantly sexual. Sexual probably being the problem, don't you think?

-Sarah

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:10 pm
Sureal wrote a review...

Seen the movies (both Interview and Queen).
Interview was a good movie. Queen, not as good (the music was the best bit... unfortunatly, you can't get the songs sung by Jonathan Davis like they are in the movie).

I considered getting the book Interview. But I had a quick glance in it, and decided that the writing style probably wouldn't keep me interessted.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:05 pm
Nox says...

I loved the book and also the movie. :D

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale