z

Young Writers Society



Blind - Chapter 23 part 1

by Meep(:


Nope, I didn't discontinue this, but I've been really, really busy.

Sorry everyone ._.

I decided to split it up because it would take me forever to post a whole chapter at this point in time.

*huge case of writer's block*

Gah, I know it needs a lot of working on, my apololgies.

(POV: Melody/Nathaniel/Nate/Helen! Lots of POV changing in the entire chapter, which is also why I split it up in case it gets confusing.)

----------

Let’s just pretend that it never happened.

I couldn’t imagine myself recounting that shopping experience with Helen, without wincing agonisingly.

Dress after dress being flung at you, uncharacteristically girly squeals from Helen the tomboy and having to constantly be thrust in front of mirrors.

It was terrible, to say the least.

It was dreadful to hear you friends lie to you about looking pretty, just because they were your friends. It was dreadful to wear beautiful dresses and feel like an ugly duckling trying to pull off a Vera Wang look.

It was dreadful to look at yourself in the mirror, only to be reminded how you were a bud that would never bloom in the meadow of roses.

Ugh, look at me, I’m already wincing and now I’ve got goose bumps.

**********

”So what do you need a tux for again?” Dad laughed, pawing through his cupboard.

“The Valentine’s dance,”

“Ah, I see. And you want a red tux?”

“Preferably,”

“I’m sure I have one somewhere… I wore one to my Valentine’s dance with your mom. We had a ro-“

“Dad,” I warned, suppressing a shudder. “I don’t want to hear any details of your romantic escapades with mom. I really don’t need it.”

“Fine,” Dad chuckled at my freaked-out state. “So who’s the unlucky girl who has caught my youngest son’s fancy?”

“No one,” I muttered.

“Come now, Nathaniel. Surely there must be someone you have your eye on. You seem to be very chummy with Helen-“

“Oh God!” I gasped in horror, staring at my dad like he’d just done a polka dance in a monkey suit. “Dad, that’s like saying I’m going to commit incest! Helen’s my best friend, just like she is to Nate and Nathan. Besides, she’s going out with Trey.”

“Oh, right.” Dad frowned, “I’d forgotten. You know, your mom and I had thought before, that one of you would end up with Helen. She’s a sweet girl.”

“When she’s not trying to knock my lights out,” I murmured to my myself. “Anyway, you’re wrong. Helen’s like our sister.”

“Back to the topic. You’re going to a Valentine’s dance, son. There must be someone acting as your motivation.”

“Nate and Nathan are going. I’m there to give brotherly support.”

“Whatever you say,” Dad smirked devilishly. “But the last I recalled, Nate was the reluctant one and you were dragging him to go- Ah, here we go.”

With a dramatic flourish, he presented me a bold red tuxedo and a collared white shirt. Quickly, I took it from his outstretched hand and left the bedroom immediately.

I could just picture him wallowing in his mirth. Dad loved making me flustered with all his teasing while I tried to fight back, but I wasn’t going to stay behind and let him swoop down on me with further questions about my love life…or lack thereof.

***********

Cheesy. In every sense of the word.

I flicked a streamer with the words “I <3 u” off my shoulder in disgust, looking up at the sappy red and pink decorations with distaste.

Valentine’s. What a joke.

“I know that look, Nate.” Nathan eyed me sternly. I shrugged. My intense dislike of ridiculous hormone-driven social gatherings like this was something I made a point to declare publically.

My mouth twisted at a corner as I became the unfortunate audience of happy couples who had already paired up and were indulging in ice-breaker activities that involved being joined at the lips as if they were born that way.

I could be doing something more productive right now. Like poetry. Curse my idiot brother Nathaniel for dragging me here.

I had a sneaking suspicion that both my brothers had a thing for Melody. Nathaniel was blatantly hunting for Melody, his eyes scanning every brunette, pausing to consider if it was her.

Nathan was more discreet. He pretended to look around curiously, but he too, was searching for a certain lovely brunette.

I settled for the refreshments table while my brothers hunted for their unfortunate prey. Poor Melody. I’d probably have to save her from the clutches of Nathaniel, should he be the one who captures her first.

I surveyed the treats spread out before me. Like I said, cheesy. Cheese cubes, cheese fries, cheese sticks, cheese- geez, were they trying to kill the lactose-intolerant?

I prepared to reach for the chess cubes, but thought better of it. They weren’t cubed, but obviously carved into heart shapes by unskilled hands.

Girls were already starting to approach me. It was as if they had a Peyton-radar. I heard my name being murmured and shivered.

Maybe I should have worn a sign on my tux saying: “I have no interest in socialising with you. Go away and bother someone else.”

Then again, some girls were very persistent. I would know. Perhaps “I think you’re ugly”, would be a better repellent.

They closed in on me, reminding me of how a pack of hyenas would close in on their prey. I sighed in irritation and resignation.

Damn, this was going to be a long night in hell.

**********

I felt kind of guilty for treating Melody that way; shoving her into a room full of hungry predators seeking their potential ‘soulmates’ by herself, but I couldn’t wait to see Trey.

Of course, once I saw him in the couple’s only ballroom, I wish I hadn’t seen him at all.

It had been talked about for a while. I stubbornly decided to shut my ears and play deaf. I threatened Nathan and his brothers to stop sleuthing around and spying on Trey, because I didn’t believe that it was true.

Or rather, I didn’t want it to be true.

I left them there, he and Shelby, locked in their embrace and dancing to the romantic tune. I didn’t rain punches on that son of a bitch or that slut, neither did I cry. I simply picked up the hem of my dress and walked out of the school doors. I walked all the way home and went straight to bed.

[i]When I wake up, this will all just be a nightmare.

Before the night finally closed in on me, my thoughts danced restlessly around him despite my mental exhaustion.

… and I didn’t mean Trey.

----------

Argh, I'm really, really sorry for the terrible writing D:


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 1212
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:51 pm
imapoemperson says...



*Does a happy dance, and tackleglopms* I couldn't find anything else, but I am so happy that you are out of your writers block!




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 1069
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 pm
GirsBlueAvenger says...



D: post more i thoroughly enjoyed that




User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 1499
Reviews: 104

Donate
Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 pm
Storm_Bringer wrote a review...



Hey MEep!

... Well, it's as good as ever, although I hate those cliffhangers. >.< So there's more to Helen than it seems, eh?

I think Melody is still the same, just a bit changed in those "It was dreadful" sentences... At that part she seemed unnecessarily mean. I also don't understand why she feels that way. Is she still so un- self confident about herself?

I was also confused when you suddenly switched to the dance, though that may just be me. Anyways, like everyone said, it's as good as ever, and please post soon!

Can't wait to see what happens,
~Storm




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:34 pm
Q_DJ wrote a review...



Yay!!!!!!!! hey Meep,
I'm so excited. You're back! Thanx for another great chapter, or part- haha...
It was wonderful! I'll be waiting for the next ones to come out! No pressure! :P ...
and good luck! :wink:




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 2063
Reviews: 37

Donate
Wed May 27, 2009 5:29 pm
lil-mizzkitty1 wrote a review...



hi,

your back yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees i totally love this story

great chapter. i like that you expressed Helen's feelings. also i don't know what it is but there

is something different about the character's pov. nate seemed brutal and Helen seemed

dis-attached (is that a word) but great chapter send the next 1 quick.

lil-mizzkitty1




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 3337
Reviews: 47

Donate
Mon May 25, 2009 5:45 pm
Shauni wrote a review...



Sweet Meep! Long time no reading The Ol' Great Blind!

I noticed some stuff that could be polished.
I'm sure that you don't write in a while so, it's normal that you may be a little rusty. Don't worry, I'm sure you will get up really fast.

Sometimes, reading works that have a language much more approachable and light is really enjoyable.

I don't have even some ridicules 15 minutes to make a proper review so I will try to make it later, or just leave it to the ones that actually have talent and sufficient writing skills to create something constructive...

Anyways, have a great day!

Shauni *just loved it! :D*




User avatar
356 Reviews


Points: 10701
Reviews: 356

Donate
Mon May 25, 2009 5:43 pm
*writewatiwant* wrote a review...



Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

You brought Blind back! I'm so glad you did!

Nit-picks:

Dress after dress being flung at you, uncharacteristically girly squeals from Helen the tomboy and having to constantly be thrust in front of mirrors.

Put 'the tomboy' between commas.

Ugh, look at me, I’m already wincing and now I’ve got goose bumps.

This sounds like a thought. Put in italics.

The Valentine’s dance,” [...] “Preferably,”

Why a comma at the end?! There's nothing following it, no 'I said', or anything, so make it a period!

I had a sneaking suspicion that both my brothers had a thing for Melody.

'Sneaking' sounds wrong. maybe sneaky?

I prepared to reach for the chess cubes, but thought better of it.

Typo alert! I believe 'chess' should be 'cheese'.

Characters:
Melody's mind seem to have become more... morbid or rebellious. She seems to have changed very much; as if not the very same person anymore.
It was nice to see a bit of Helen's mind this time. She was kindda on the Peyton's shadow.

Now, one thing I surely did not understood. Why were the Peyton's POVs in italic? And then Helen's last lines in bold? Make sure to check :wink:

As always, dear, hilarious! Absolutely. My fave parts?

"Oh God!” I gasped in horror, staring at my dad like he’d just done a polka dance in a monkey suit. “Dad, that’s like saying I’m going to commit incest!


Cheese cubes, cheese fries, cheese sticks, cheese- geez, were they trying to kill the lactose-intolerant?


Maybe I should have worn a sign on my tux saying: “I have no interest in socialising with you. Go away and bother someone else.”


Loving it! :D
Post soon,
*Kat*





It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice