The Last Bounty [RC:R1]

by Mea

Had it really only been three days ago that he had turned over in that cavernous bed and traced my cheek? He’d murmured “I have another job for you, darling; the perfect prey for a perfect bounty hunter,” and with those words sent me halfway across the galaxy.

I hadn't had a harder job in years. No time for sleep and little for food as I fled, transport to transport, calling in every contact and favor I knew to track his prey. And here he was at the end, standing in this abandoned warehouse, feet above where I knew my target to be.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I asked.

Kirn smiled broadly. His bronze hair shone like a halo in the dim light. He was sculpted perfectly, my lover, and when he held his arms out it was all I could do no to fall into them. But that could come later. Answers first, and then I had a job to finish.

Something flashed across his face when he realized I would not come to him yet. “Jan, Jan,” he said in his honey-smooth voice. “This was a competition! Forgive me for deceiving you. I wanted to test my fading skills against your ever-growing ones. Who could first track him down? Had I told you beforehand, it would have spoiled the game.”

“Well, it looks like you won,” I said, and went to him with a smile. He smelled of cinnamon and cloves and somehow not a hair on his head was out of place. I probably smelled awful, and my travel clothes hung limply on my frame.

He only allowed me a quick kiss, then pushed me gently away. “I may have beaten you here, but this is still your job,” he reminded me. “I’ll just tag along, a voice in your ear. No different from the earpiece.”

Yes. Business. I shook his scent from my head and drew my blaster. I had been sent to retrieve a Mr. Drav Edvin and his family. The man ran a gambling place on Bontaf IV, owned and subsidized by Kirn and his gang. Unfortunately for him, the place had gone bankrupt. He had taken his family and fled, but Kirn was not a forgiving man, and he had left debts to pay.

My scanner was reading life-forms in a cellar hidden under this warehouse. That would be them.

I scanned the warehouse, looking for the hidden trapdoor and trying to ignore Kirn’s gaze. He’s not here, I told myself. Just a normal job.

I’d narrowed it down to a corner where the signs were strongest. I crept between the stacks of crates – better not to let them know I was here. I stowed away my scanner, and finally the rim caught my eye. I knelt and felt along the edge. It wouldn’t be locked – locks were inconvenient when you were in a hurry. One side, then two, forming the edges of a square a meter long. Then I hit the catch.

The floorboards swung down into darkness. The hole was square and lined with metal, and sported a ladder on one side.

“Coming down?” I asked Kirn quietly. I didn’t wait for his response, but lowered a foot cautiously to the first rung.

I didn’t need to tell him to be quiet as we descended into darkness. I wished for a light, but that could easily alert Edvin. Slowly, my eyes adjusted, and I was able to see the bottom when I reached it. I was about to drop the last few feet when Kirn hissed “Wait.”

“What?” I looked up at him, framed boldly against the receding light of the outside world.

“There. A sensor,” he told me, pointing to the wall, just above the ground. He was right, and I never would have seen it. My Kirn had beaten me again. I smiled to myself as I carefully opened my pack while holding to the ladder. I took out a jammer, and deactivated the sensor. I allowed myself to fall. My feet landed on well-packed earth. This was a well-used bolt-hole.

A hand landed on my shoulder and I flinched, but of course it was Kirn. He was barely a shadow to my poor night vision, but his grip was solid and warm.

“This is always the most exciting part, isn’t it?” he breathed into my ear. “The moment before the trap is sprung.” He stood so near I could feel the warmth of his skin, maddeningly close. It strung every nerve in my body taunt. I gave a tiny nod.

“Everything is about to fall into place or fall apart,” he continued, “and who can say which it will be?” His finger traced my jawline, and suddenly I was kissing him again. In the dark, on a mission, with only our wit and skill and each other. Never before had he come with me, but suddenly I knew I must convince him to, because what could be more perfect than this?

He broke away first and gestured down the tunnel. “Shall we?”

I took a long breath, wiping his taste from my lips. I drew my blaster and made sure my spider wraps were easily to hand, to immobilize Drav. Kirn hung back as I began to walk, and I knew from here on out he would not interfere.

The tunnel was short and the door at the end sturdy. I picked the lock and paused. This was the moment, the time I would lose the element of surprise.

I kicked the door open and made my move. In a split second I’d taken stock of the room – supply-laden walls, several sleeping rolls on the floor, and Drav and his two daughters. Drav sprang to his feet, a blaster in his hand even as I trained mine on him. Damn that blaster. I made my decision and snatched his daughter, a girl about five years old, even as she scrambled away from me. She shook and squirmed in my grasp, terrified into silence.

Behind me, I could feel Kirn’s gaze on me. I put the blaster to the girl’s head. “Stand down. Or she dies.”

It was a bluff. There was no way in hell I could kill this girl, but I needed to throw him off guard. Just one moment…

“You kill her, I shoot,” Drav said steadily. “First you and then your master behind you.”

They locked gazes. “You should have known you couldn’t run from me, Drav,” Kirn said mildly.

Drav’s other girl, a little older, had been cowering on the floor a few feet away. Now she lunged at me in a wild, ragged fury, heedless of my blaster. She slammed into me and I staggered, releasing her sister and in the same moment palming a spider wrap. Disguised in the confusion, I threw it underhand and prayed.

Pain lanced up my hand – one of the children had sunk her teeth into it. I kept my eyes on the wrap’s trajectory and was rewarded by Drav’s look of shock as the wrap hit is chest.

I just managed to shake the girl off as the ping of blaster fire resounded through the tiny space. I dropped, pulling the children down with me. When those few instinctive shots passed, I knew it was over. “That’s enough,” I said sternly to his kids. “I don’t want to hurt you, but I will if I have to. Now sit down and be quiet.”

The older girl was crying silently now, while the younger’s face was utterly blank. They did as they were told, clutching each other in fear.

Drav lay bundled on the floor and was struggling furiously against the spider wrap, which had unfurled to cocoon him from the shoulders down. He growled, but if he formed words I couldn't make them out through the netting that swathed his mouth. The stuff was stronger than steel; I knew he wouldn’t get far.

And I turned and there was Kirn, lounging against the doorway frame, mouth twitching. I grinned. “One debtor delivered,” I told him.

He treated me to his smile, full of delight and pride. His love radiated like warm sunlight. Then he straightened up, and his expression became eager and deadly serious.

“Now, my beloved, finish the job.”

He became larger than life, a shadow cast over the small room. “What do you mean?” I said. Something was wrong. “He’s right there, and the children are subdued.”

Now he was laughing. “Darling, he can’t pay me a single credit. What did you think I would do with him? Imprison him? No. He will pay for this crime with his life.”

“You want me to kill him?” My voice was childish and weak. “Right here, right now?”

Kirn gathered me in his arms from behind and whispered into my hair. “It’s okay to be afraid. I know this is your first time. But you have the gun. You have the power. Press the trigger, and it’s all over.”

“But he’s done nothing to merit it. You can’t kill a man for failing to keep a business going.” I heard my words but barely attached meaning to them. It was like struggling to see through a haze. What had happened to my Kirn?

He squeezed my shoulders gently. “Jan, of course there’s more to it than that. Drav’s a scoundrel if I’ve ever seen one. It was his fault the casino went out of business – he’s been stealing from me since it was opened. And he thought I would never know!”

His righteous fury was building now. “A lowly criminal tried to scam me, Jan. As he’s done at least a dozen others. How many millions of credits gone? He’d have a life sentence on twelve systems if they knew the whole of it. You’ll be doing the universe a favor. And me.”

I still held my blaster, hanging limply at my side. His hand crept down my arm and curled around my fingers. Together, we lifted the blaster, his warm hand steadying mine. But he didn’t pull the trigger. It was my choice. I began to pull. It was what he wanted.

A muffled sob reached my ears and scythed through the haze clouding my thoughts. The children. I saw them, then, clutching their father as they cried. The older curled protectively around the younger and tried in vain to hush her, even as her own shoulders shook and her wide eyes accused me. Shame crept through me, then horror. I gasped in a breath and saw clearly for the first time. Bile rose in my throat.

I wrenched myself out of Kirn’s grip. “You think yourself judge and jury,” I spat, “but I won’t be your executioner. Damn you, what about his children?”

His face hardened into fury. “You think this is the first time? Are you so naïve, darling? What did you think I did with the others? Nirak, Hidiah, Miak – you bought them back neatly wrapped, like a cat with her prey. You think I scolded them and sent them on their way?”

He gave a derisive laugh. “They’re dead, all of them, and you killed them. You didn’t ask questions. You took my money and set off, discreet as ever, and gave them easily to their fates. Did you truly never stop to think what would happen to any of your bounties, over the years and across employers? You’ve always been an executioner, Jan. This time, I’m just letting you pull the trigger.”

I looked at him again, and it was as if a façade broke and ugliness seeped through the cracks. My dashing Kirn, the head of a network that spanned the galaxy, twining each thread together in an expert weave, and I at his side. And now I saw that web, saw how I had lain with him and let him wrap me in it. How many had died to build his mansion on Ilana? How many quiet accidents, how many loaded negotiations had he arranged as he wove his power? He’d always assured me his business was on the side of the law, with a laugh and a wink to say “mostly.” I hadn’t cared.

“No,” I said. “Never again.”

He shook his head, mocking me. “If you won’t do it, then I will.”

I’d brought my blaster up and shot him before his was halfway out of its holster. He took the bolt with a strangled cry and crumpled limply to the floor, black hair fanning around his head.

I knelt next to him. His eyes searched mine as he died, and the outrage they held shattered every last illusion I had of him.

“It looks like you’ve won… darling,” he breathed. Then his chest fell, and he was gone.

“Don’t call me darling.”

I holstered my blaster and splashed the dissolving agent over Drav. “Get out of here,” I growled at him. “Nobody will follow you now.”

As soon as he was free, he gathered his children in his arms and fled. I bent over Kirn’s body and wept for my lover and his betrayal.

I don’t know how long I knelt there, but when I stood, I had formed for myself a new creed. Once, I had prided myself on discretion. I did my job and no questions asked. No more. I would not serve petty revenge or coercion. I would aid justice, not atrocity. And maybe one day, I would walk with a clear conscience.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:54 am
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hiii Mea <3

So, I absolutely enjoyed this! I loved how Jan is gullible in the beginning and totally turns on Kirn at the end - that's some real butt-kicking main character I like!

As for the characters, I loved them! Kirn was absolutely slimy and Drav and his two little girls definitely added a nice intensity to the story. I loved Jan as well. At the end, though, I feel like Jan so quickly was like "okay, time to form a new creed for myself". If I were her - and I'm not sure I could speak because I'm not a bounty hunter nor am I in love - I would be a bit "woah" by all this. She just killed someone she thought she loved and her world has, well, basically changed. Jan seems likes she accepts it all too quickly.

I'm a sucker for plots like these! When a character changes for the better, it seems like something fulfilling has actually happened in the story - and as a reader I feel very happy and proud. Anyway, I thought how Kirn took advantage of Jan for all this time was great. This is both plot and character, but was Kirn just trying to take advantage of her for the fun of it? His intentions of what he wanted her to do were clear but why he made her herself do it wasn't (it seems that he just is a horrible person).

And lastly, the setting! Though it was a sci-fi world where world building can be really tough to do in a short span of words, I was able to get a grasp of the world! I really don't have much to say here.

I think that's it. I really really enjoyed reading this and I'm excited to see how you revise it!

~EternalRain

Mea says...

Thanks for the review! :D

Wolfi wrote a review...

Hey Mea!

Like some of the other reviewers, I wasn't a fan of the beginning either. I had to read the first sentence in a very focused state to comprehend its meaning because it's more wordy than it needs to be. "Cavernous" is an odd word to use. It makes me think of something large and empty and hollow, rather than just large.

And here he was at the end, standing in this abandoned warehouse, feet above where I knew my target to be.

I would recommend saying mere feet.

I wasn't sure where this was going at first, but from the beginning I didn't trust Kirn. I knew there was a reason that you said he gently pushed Jan away during their embrace, or why he was the first to pull away after the kiss. It was sounding as if Jan was intoxicated by his dashing looks and would do anything to please him.

So, because of that, his betrayal at the end did not come as a surprise to me. I think this story would be better if it was. Maybe you should build up Kirn more at the beginning as a likable character, someone that we can convincingly trust in him almost as much as Jan does. Then his betrayal will be more surprising, and the ending would be less predictable.

I thought it was cool how his hair appears bronze in the beginning but then in the shadows changes to black when she shoots him. Nice touch.

I like Jan's character a lot, especially because I like the character arc she went through. She was naive, gullible, and subservient to her lover, but by the end she learned to be independent, strong, and determined.

In terms of some setting descriptions, I think you did a good job. It's tough to write a short story in a brand-new fantastical or science fictional world; you don't have a lot of time to describe things. Fortunately, you didn't spend a lot of time describing the world because in a short story it doesn't really matter. I think we heard one place name in the whole thing. You didn't need any more so you you didn't write any more.

I'm excited to see how you edit this! Sorry if I couldn't give enough recommendations, but I think you did a really nice job. Great work ~

Wolfi says...

Oh, and I didn't read your reply to Megrim until know. I see what you were trying to do with Kirn. This would kind of be a big change, but changing to third person might be a good idea because then the reader can observe Kirn being creepy without Jan's affection for him hindering the descriptions of him.

Wolfi says...

ew *now

Mea says...

Hmm... I'm kind of loathe to do that because I've kind of fallen in love with Jan's voice, but maybe it would work. Or maybe I should make him more outwardly likable so it's more of a surprise.

Megrim wrote a review...

Hi! I'm excited to see a SF story in the mix.

I like the MC, being a strong and capable woman, who stands up for herself in the end. It's also a good turn of events--the revelation, her realizing her role in everything, choosing to turn away from that life. I wouldn't call it a twist exactly, but I like the character moment of when she figures it all out.

I found the opening pretty disorienting. I almost wonder if it's too convoluted, but maybe part of it is that I was trying to learn who the characters were and what their relationship was to each other, at the same time as figuring out the plot. At any rate, it took me a while to get sorted out with the MCs. I didn't quite understand what his aim was with this competition that he didn't even tell her about (I get that it's for his own interest, but since we're not in his POV, his explanation of it feels a bit belated and awkward). I kept expecting a sudden reveal then. Like, she shows up, he's there, and that's when the bombshell lands. Like, oh, you actually have to do this horrible thing, or the target is actually not what you expected. So I was on edge waiting for him to betray her, or ask her to do something unconscionable, right from the early paragraphs. When it finally did come, I'd been waiting so long, it didn't feel like as much of a bombshell.

I wasn't particularly wrapped up in their feelings for each other. For some reason, I actually disliked Kirn right from the get-go. He seemed so suspicious when she arrived and when they were going down to trap the targets. I was just WAITING for some "this is actually a trap for you!" kind of twist. His love for her felt almost like an affectation. A cover, maybe. I didn't get the sense of genuine love between them. And I wasn't particularly drooling over him, I think because the descriptions were more non-specific (He was sculpted perfectly, my lover, and when he held his arms out it was all I could do no to fall into them.). In a way I'd consider that a tell--you're *telling* me he's handsome rather than describing a picture that I then interpret as handsome on my own. Same as if you called a hall grandiose and breathtaking, I'd be all "well what does the architecture look like?"

I liked Drav and his family, and I think they made good victims for the scene. I don't know if I'd place *quite* so much emphasis on "but what about the children!" That feels a little tropey. I like the whole scene where they're fighting back and then when she makes her decision and shoots him--love it!

It seems like maybe the "competition" at the start is to set up him saying "you won" at the end. I think you're on the right track with that idea. I'm not sure if sticking with the competition is the way to go, and just making it more clear in the beginning, or if it would be better to do a similar but different device. I wonder if you could inject some sort of unique dynamic to their relationship, something only THEY share, that you could use to help us connect to them and then call back to it at the end. Overall, I think the structure is a good one, with some tightening and streamlining.

Good luck!

Mea says...

Well Kirn was *definitely* supposed to come off as creepy. He's really sort of been taking advantage of her for the last year or so and this is her breaking point, and I was sort of intending for the reader to realize this right away, but not feel like she's an idiot for staying with him. I'll definitely work on the opening.

Thank you so much!

Lightsong wrote a review...

I can literally see someone asking for feedback, and here I am. ;) Let's get into this.

Had it really only been three days ago that he had turned over in that cavernous bed and traced my cheek?

Info that we get here are

1) three days ago, a creepy man traced the MC's cheek
2) she was in a cavernous bed (I assume this is a part of the cave... my English sucks xD)

and I think it's a bit too much for a first sentence. I think the first info is enough to stand in its own - it's mysterious, setting up the atmosphere for the story.

Hmm, okay, so the revelation about the request being part of a competition comes early and I don't feel anything about it because there's lack of tension building there. However, I don't think it's the main plot here, and perhaps it's just to show how sly Kirn can be, that he's also a bounty hunter, and seems to be better than Jan.

Wow, Kirn is not just some bounty hunter and also has a land, gained through illegal means by being a gang leader. Mmhmm, from this information he seems to be more dangerous than he was, and it gives me a bad feeling about what would happen to him and Jan after this. I can sense something wrong would come out from this mission.

Your setting description is as precise as ever. Can't say I imagine it well, and this is due to my slowness of thought when it comes to imagining setting. -_-'

God, you make Kirn a sexy man, and both of them is a sexy couple. Kissing during a mission? Never heard of it. So edgy. xD

Alright, so I couldn't comment while the big scene unfolded. The tension is high there. It's a relief that Jan isn't going to do all Kirn's instruction, and has a conscience as a bounty hunter. Perhaps it's her mistake to never bother about what happens to her bounties; perhaps it's not. But it's refreshing to see how she reacts to the revelation of Kirn being an executioner, and how the fact that he's her lover doesn't stop her from doing what is right. This kind of scenario has been done before many times, but here it works because your execution is on point.

Also, props to the elder sister for not giving up even in her final moments (I assume she's going to be taken out too since she's protecting his father) and also Drav for not falling into being a victim so fast.

I think the ending is a bit rush. Perhaps this story doesn't need such a tight-sealed ending, and perhaps instead of realizing she's going to hunt for justice, explore more about why she couldn't kill if the reason is insufficient, or how Kirn's betrayal affects her (I know it's her turning to justice, but I'm sure it's going to take a while before she reaches that decision - she's facing the death of her lover here, betrayal or not, and there'd be some grieving involved).

Overall, this is a solid story. I see you're still meddling with galaxy-level sci-fi stories, and I hope to see more stories of that sort in the future! ;)

Mea says...

"Cavernous" just means really big. :P Like a cave is really big.

I'll definitely keep in mind your thoughts about the ending. In my mind, she made her new creed in the midst of trying to block out of grief, but maybe it would be better for her to take longer to digest what happened. (This story is actually sort of a prequel to another one I'm writing right now where the creed is *very* important, and the point of this one was intended to be to show how she formed her creed.)

Mea says...

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hello, Mea! I've come here to review your work (for you-know-what :))

Your story was dark but powerful. I liked it, because I have a tendency to like stories with characters who become morally "better".

When Jan ran into Kirn at the warehouse, I felt as though there was a lack of surprise. I think it was because Jan didn't do anything else other then just swear. I would have liked to see more of her thoughts, her actions as well. I wasn't so sure the scene was the best in your story. I was also confused when Jan approached Kirn "with a smile". My conclusion is that the scene needs more.

I have a little nitpick here. At the beginning Kirn had "bronze hair" but at the end he had "black hair fanning out of his head". This is something really minor.

The last few paragraphs also need more description. When Jan let Drav go, he simply left. I would have liked to see more of exactly how it happened. Simply puts, needs a little more showing here.

In the last paragraph, I would have liked to have a more subtle change, than just stating outright Jan's internal change. Maybe the thoughts could be interspersed with actions that are kind of a symbol of some change.

Overall, this story had a rather strong character arc and plot, but some scenes need more work. Hope this review helped, and feel free to ask me any questions!

From Princess Ink

But what about second breakfast?
— Peregrin Took