z

Young Writers Society



Lines of Faith: Chapter 1 (Edited, Part 1/2)

by Mea


Verona pulled open the heavy front door of the Advanced Study Institute and ran full-pelt down the hallway. The sound of her feet pounding against the tiles disturbed the quiet, majestic aura that the arched ceiling, huge stained glass windows, and ornate staircase brought. Verona knew she was being rude, but she was already late. She glanced at her wrist, where the time was displayed above her watch in holographic letters only she could see, courtesy of the implants in her eye. Class had started five minutes ago. She couldn’t miss the final exam.

She hurried up the stairs and skidded around a corner, stopping in front of the classroom door, panting heavily. She paused for a moment to compose herself - it wouldn’t do to be all flustered - and stepped inside.

Compared to the antique hallways, it was like she had traveled five hundred years into the future. The lighting was soft without being dim. Around the edges stood all sorts of scientific equipment, humming slightly. In the center were three rows of desks facing the smartwall. About fifteen students stood in small groups around them, tapping and scrolling furiously through their techpads. Verona could tell they were doing some last-minute cramming. Good, they haven’t started yet, she thought.

She hurried to the teacher’s desk. “I’m so sorry I’m late,” she said breathlessly, “one of the trams was delayed at the station and I had to wait for it.”

Her teacher, a lovely woman named Oni Yeten, looked up from her techpad and smiled. “Don’t worry, it’s not a problem. I was just giving them some time to review before the exam. Why don’t you go relax for a moment? We’ll be starting soon.”

“Thank you, Shaper,” Verona said, sighing with relief.

However, Verona didn’t get a chance to relax. As soon as she sat down, she was accosted by Trask, who sat behind her.

“Hey, Verona,” he said, “can you explain Ignut’s Third Law of Transmutation? I was sick that day and you know how it is with textbook explanations.”

Verona rolled her eyes. Sick, my foot. More like hung over from partying. But she knew he would keep bugging her if she didn’t give him something.

“Fine, but I’m not explaining it to you. Here.” She pulled up the relevant notes on her techpad and handed it to him. He and his buddies bent over it, and Verona watched them with amusement. She had never seen Trask that focused on schoolwork. Meanwhile, his twin was one of the best students in the class. She wondered how they could ever get along. If her twin, Analia, acted like Trask, they would hate each other.

She leaned back in her sleek, comfortable office chair and glanced at the empty seat next to her. Where was Lani? It wasn’t like her friend to miss such an important exam. Come to think of it, Verona hadn’t seen her at all this morning. She’s probably just sick, she thought, but she could have at least messaged me.

Verona ran through the study guide in her head one more time. She thought she knew everything, but she couldn’t quench her nerves, so she decided to Shape something. That always calmed her down.

She pulled a misshapen piece of clay, wrapped in plastic, from her backpack and set it on the table. It was what she always used when she needed to relax. Right now, it was in the form of a slightly squished bowl from the last time she had Shaped it. She stared at it for a moment, then closed her eyes, opened the door in her head, and stepped into the Room of Shaping.

The noise of the students was suddenly cut off as the Room blossomed before her. She was almost completely disconnected from her body, her sight and hearing totally focused on the room. If she concentrated, she could feel the rim of her chair press into her back, but that was all.

The room was spacious and circular, the only door the one Verona had just come through. The ceiling arched over her head to form a dome. Tools of every craft she knew of lined the walls, hanging from various hooks or set on shelves or on the floor. If Verona knew what the tool did, its name, and how it looked, it was there somewhere.

The only noise was the quiet sound of Verona’s breathing. Some found the silence unnerving, but Verona never had. She luxuriated in the illusion of being alone, closing her eyes and letting herself utterly relax.

She moved to the center of the room, where the lump of clay she had focused on was sitting on top of a plain wooden table, and started kneading it with her hands. She always used clay when she was pleasure Shaping - it made her less tired because she didn’t have to fuss about with tools.

She broke a piece off and started forming a little cup, pausing occasionally to tuck a curl of short, black hair behind her ear. Inside a Room, she could appear however she wanted, as long as it was human. She usually didn’t change much. Her hair was naturally brown, but she kept it dyed black, and in the Rooms it appeared as naturally black. She did make herself a bit skinnier and more athletic, but the major change was getting rid of her glasses. She hated being nearsighted. When she was twenty-two, she would be old enough to get the surgery to fix it, and she couldn’t wait. Just one more year...

She shaped a long, narrow stem and attached it to the cup, forming a simple goblet. She started smoothing everything out, making the cup uniformly thick and the stem sturdy enough to support the goblet’s weight. As she worked, the stress of the upcoming exam lifted.

At last, Verona stepped back and eyed the goblet critically. It was good enough.

She left the Room and her mind plunged back to reality, all her senses sharp again, the noise of the students assaulting her ears. On her desk sat the lump of clay, now a fully formed goblet, ready to be fired. She wrapped it carefully and put it back in her bag. The wrapping would stop the clay from drying out. She had only spent the equivalent of ten minutes on the goblet, so it didn’t make her very tired. In real time, only a few seconds had passed.

Just then, Verona heard a familiar voice in her head. It was Analia, speaking to her mind to mind through the connection everyone shared with their twin.

/Did you make it to class on time?/ she asked. /I heard about the tram running late./

/I was a couple minutes late, but it wasn’t a problem. Shaper Yeten is nice like that./ Verona replied. Of course she didn’t speak the exact words in her mind - it was the general sentiment that went through. She had always thought it was similar to the sensation of getting so absorbed in a book that you didn’t register the actual words, only their meaning.

/That’s good./ Analia said. There was an awkward pause. Verona thought she could detect a slight coolness in Analia’s tone, but after their argument yesterday evening, she was just glad they were on speaking terms again. She resolved not to bring the matter up for a while. But by the three gods, if she doesn’t change her mind, I’ll have to do something.

Shaper Yeten’s calm voice cut cleanly through the general din. “It’s time to get started. Please take your seats.” She started handing out the dampeners, little metal circlets that cut off the wearer’s telepathic ability temporarily. You could still sense your twin’s emotions, but you couldn’t talk to each other. They were used for most tests, to prevent cheating. These ones only blocked telepathy and technological implants, but there were others that blocked Moving and Shaping. The most powerful could completely cut off the connection to your twin, but thankfully those were banned except for limited military training.

/I’ve got to go, she’s handing out the dampers./ Verona sent.

/Good luck. I’ll meet you down by the cafeteria so we can leave for lunch with Mom together./

/Okay./

Verona put on the damper and accepted the test handed to her. Despite using their techpads for taking notes, they usually used paper for worksheets and tests - it made for fewer technical difficulties and less cheating.

Please, Nizana, god of Balance, I studied for this test for hours. Help me do well. Verona swallowed nervously, bent over the page, and started writing.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
565 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 565

Donate
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 am
Stori says...



It seems this chapter has been reviewed thoroughly, and its author said she isn't currently working on it, so I'll just leave a comment and run.

Why does Verona have both eye implants and glasses? Are such implants common, unique to her, or something else? I remember reading that Captain Kirk wore reading glasses because he was allergic to contacts, so this is a little confusing.

Perhaps it could be the glasses that enable Verona to read her watch? Just a suggestion.




Mea says...


How/why did you even find this? This is so old. xD But yeah, the glasses eye implants don't really make sense. I guess I was thinking the eye implants were for seeing holograms, but they really should be able to fix her vision too...

Anyway, thanks for the comment. xD



Stori says...


You're welcome, Mea. In Kirk's case, I think the glasses make him look more dignified, but naturally your story means your rules.

I guess I found this through Will Review for Food... but don't quote me on that.



User avatar
524 Reviews


Points: 7146
Reviews: 524

Donate
Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:06 am
felistia wrote a review...



Hi Meandbooks, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

Chapter Plot: So this story sounds like it's going to be a teenage school story based in a fantasy realm. I'm really interested to see how this goes. You've already introduced some interesting things like the dampers, the telepathic abilities and other things that I have know idea what they are yet like the Shaping, Moving and Twins. I look forward to finding out what those things are. I think for a first chapter this was good. You put in a lot of world building information and introduced me to some of the characters. :D

Characters: Now for the characters. Verona seems to be a nice person. She has a good attitude towards this school that she's at and helps other people. I don't really know much about the characters yet, but so far I defiantly like them and look forward to learning more about them. :D

Description: And onto the description. The description through out your piece was lovely and some of the best I've seen in a while. The first paragraph was a perfect introduction to the story and instantly gave me a clear picture of what the school looks like. I really can't fault your description.

Grammar and Punctuation: The same goes for your grammar and punctuation. :D

Sorry for the short review. It's just that you've already got a whole lot of helpful reviews and I just couldn't find anything wrong with this. Overall this was a great first chapter and I'll get to the next one as soon as I can. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D

P.s When you post new chapters could you please let me know. :D




Mea says...


Hey, thanks for the review! Just to let you know, I'm no longer working on this novel. I need a nice long break from it until I figure out all the problems it has, and then I'll be starting a new draft with a better outline and stuff. So I won't be posting any new chapters for a long, long time. :)



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:16 am
erilea wrote a review...



Hello, Meandbooks! I would like to say congratulations on completing RevMo. Artemis here to review! :)

Okay, let's begin. The first sentence is fine, very descriptive. All but one thing. I wouldn't use "full-pelt" to describe running as fast as you can. I suggest you change the wording?

"Verona pulled open the heavy front door of the Advanced Study Institute and ran full-pelt down the hallway."

I love how this is in the future! At least, I assumed it to be. This is completely cool. I also enjoy the fact that there are different gods now, including the one that you mentioned in the end of the chapter. This was amazing.

To sum it all up, there were no mistakes except for one word choice. You did a very good job on writing this, and it was a terrific read. And again, you did a stupendous job. (Look at me, using all these dramatic words. :P)

Good work and keep writing, Meandbooks!

-Artemis28




Mea says...


Thank you for the review!



erilea says...


No problem!



User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:46 pm
OliveDreams says...



Darn - I've just seen you edited chapter 1 already! Apologies. I will get to this soon. <3




Mea says...


Thank you! <3



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:35 pm
Wolfi says...



Big improvement here, nice job! I'm going to read the rest of the chapters you've written then just review the last one because otherwise I'm never going to catch up today (too much homework and school doesn't even start until tomorrow). xP




User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:15 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello! I decided I'm going to read your LMS as you go because I'm impatient :p. BUT, I'm still going to read as a reader first and an editor second (like what I had you do for Captive). So I'll read each chapter as you post them and give my general comments as a reader and then put my editing hat on and do what I feel is necessary. Cool? :)

I'm starting here rather than the other chapter one because this is marked as the edited version. But if you'd like me to read the other chapter one as well, I can go back and do that. :)

Oh, and I'll make this my entry for the big review.

Thoughts as a reader.
I thought this was an interesting opening. I liked that you brought us right into the world with lots of little details and pieces of information. For the most part, it didn't read overly info-dumpy (which is good). But to me, there were times when I thought you started to toe that line. I'll point that out in a later section :)

I thought the introduction of your MC was interesting. I don't have an overly strong sense of her personality or who she is yet (but this is very early). I liked how you wove in what she looks like and how old she is. I thought that was really creative and worked well in the story.

I'm trying to wrap my head around all of the characters that were mentioned:
-The MC
-the boy that asks for her notes
-the teacher
-the friend that isn't there
-the person she was telepathically communicating with
I can't remember a single name (aside from the MC). Again, this is early, and I'll remember their names later if they're important. I might talk about this again later.

As for the world - I don't read a lot of SF/F, so this could be due to my own ineptitude reading this genre, but parts of the world and the way it was presented, confused me. There's a lot to wrap my head around early on. I know I said that I liked that you put us right into the world, and that's true, I really do. But there's still a lot to get used to in the world.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like my thoughts on from a general/reader perspective :)

Editing thoughts.

Verona pulled open the heavy front door of the Advanced Study Institute and ran full-pelt down the hallway.

I wasn't a fan of "full-pelt". I get what you're saying, but whenever I hear the word "pelt" I think of of a skinned animal...

The sound of her feet pounding against the tiles disturbed the quiet, majestic aura that the arched ceiling, huge stained glass windows, and ornate staircase brought.

Okay, "majestic" is one of my favorite words (I'm being totally serious). Half of me is like -_- "majestic"? really? seems a little over-the-top for a description. The other half of me is like XD!!! SOMEONE USED MAJESTIC NON-IRONICALLY IN A REAL SENTENCE.
So take that as you will :p
PS - I liked the setting description here. It's simple and to the point, gives us an idea of where this girl is, without taking paragraphs and paragraphs to get there.

Verona knew she was being rude, but she was already late.

Rude for what reason? Making noise? Running? Something else?

She glanced at her wrist, where the time was displayed above her watch in holographic letters only she could see, courtesy of the implants in her eye.

This is one of those world things that was a tad confusing to me. She's wearing a watch, yet the time is displayed above her watch? What's the point of wearing a watch if her cool eye implants will show the time on her arm? And the time is shown in letters? Does it spell out the time or something?

Class had started five minutes ago. She couldn’t miss the final exam.

Now I'll admit, this has totally happened to me. I somehow missed my alarm and was late to a final exam in college - luckily it was the nicest teacher ever and it turned out not to be a big deal. Ever since, I set like a million alarms before a final and make sure I have at least one person that knows when I need to be up in case I don't get up for some reason.
So reading this, I was left wondering girl, you have a final. Why are you late? Did she over sleep? Did something happen that caused her delay? You don't have to go into a huge amount of detail, but I'd mention it. At the very least it'll provide some nice character development. Is this a pattern? Has it happened before? How does she feel about being late?

She paused for a moment to compose herself - it wouldn’t do to be all flustered - and stepped inside.

I'm struggling with the part inside the little dashes. On the one hand, it's a little piece of character development - she seems to care about what others think of her or wants to appear composed and like everything is okay or wants to be calm before taking the test because grades are important to her (I could analyze this further, but I don't want to get to tangential :p). But the important thing, is that this little bit can be viewed in many different ways, and depending on how your reader reads that, their impression or ideas about your MC might change. On another hand, I think it breaks up the flow of the sentence as a whole.
So I think you have a couple of choices. You could forget about and just take that part out. You could develop it a little more and give some insight about why she's composing herself and why she feels the way she does in the name of character development (you might have to break it up into more than one sentence then). You could decide I'm crazy for spending this amount of time on such a small detail and decide to keep it as is :p

Around the edges stood all sorts of scientific equipment, humming slightly.

Again nice job (in this whole paragraph really) of giving us a sense of the setting and putting in some world details without it becoming too much.
Minor thing here - I would get rid of that adverb (slightly) and make the sentence more active by putting "humming" before "scientific equipment".

tapping and scrolling furiously through their techpads. Verona could tell they were doing some last-minute cramming.

"Verona could tell" is sort of a pet-peeve phrase of mine. "could tell" implies that she knows for sure what they're doing. How would she know for sure? She could assume they're cramming or guess they're cramming, but unless she's looking over their shoulder reading their techpad screens, she wouldn't know for sure. And right now, she doesn't seem to be paying that degree of attention, she's just looking over the room.

Good, they haven’t started yet, she thought.

I would put thoughts in italics. It makes it easier for the reader to differentiate, in my opinion.

Why don’t you go relax for a moment?

This comment from the teacher felt weird to me. I can't imagine a teacher saying this. Maybe she could phrase it like she's giving Verona the opportunity to catch her breath and look over her notes real quick before they start?

“Thank you, Shaper,” Verona said, sighing with relief.

Before she had a name and now she has... I'm guessing some sort of title? This is one of those world things I mentioned that was a tad confusing to me.

However, Verona didn’t get a chance to relax. As soon as she sat down, she was accosted by Trask, who sat behind her.

I didn't feel this was necessary. You can just show us this. Show that she sits down and gets her notes out or something, and then go right into the next little bit about how someone bothers her (but the explaining you do about Trask here, add that in down there obviously). You don't have to set up that she isn't going to be able to relax.

Verona rolled her eyes. Sick, my foot. More like hung over from partying. But she knew he would keep bugging her if she didn’t give him something.

Nice, simple character development (both with Verona and with Trask). "Sick, my foot", is that a world thing? (If so awesome!). I've never heard it before, so if that's something you brought in from your regular world, awesome and nice character development :)

Meanwhile, his twin was one of the best students in the class. She wondered how they could ever get along. If her twin, Analia, acted like Trask, they would hate each other.

This was another one of the world things that confused me a bit. I'm not sure if it's necessary to bring Analia into the mix yet (there are already quite a few characters mentioned and you don't want things to get overwhelming). I'm also not sure if it's necessary to bring this twin business into the mix yet. I'm sure it's an important world and plot thing, but again, you don't want to sock us with too much information in the beginning. If we physically meet Trasks's twin, that's when I would bring up their academic differences. And maybe you could explain the twin stuff when we physically meet Analia.

It was what she always used when she needed to relax.

This is redundant. You've already said she shapes things when she needs to calm down.

The noise of the students was suddenly cut off as the Room blossomed before her. She was almost completely disconnected from her body, her sight and hearing totally focused on the room. If she concentrated, she could feel the rim of her chair press into her back, but that was all.

This whole room business was the most confusing to me. It made more sense the second time I read it, but what I'm struggling with is why she would do this right now. I know she said she shapes to relax, but she's about to take an exam. The teacher said they were going to start soon, and she just "went to" this room where she can't see or hear anything else. How is she going to know when the test starts? This whole situation is a little baffling to me.
It's a cool world thing and a cool look into the character and how she deals with stress, but I don't get this room. (Might be my own issue because I don't read a lot of SF/F...)

She luxuriated in the illusion of being alone,

Huh? Is "luxuriated" a real word?

She moved to the center of the room, where the lump of clay she had focused on was sitting on top of a plain wooden table, and started kneading it with her hands.

I would break this sentence up. There are a lot of parts and it's wordy and it reads a little clunky to me.
Also, I'm confused because she pulled the clay out of her backpack. I thought she was holding it when she entered the room and now it's sitting on top of a table? Is that the same clay she pulled out of her backpack?

She always used clay when she was pleasure Shaping - it made her less tired because she didn’t have to fuss about with tools.

Not necessary right now.

The wrapping would stop the clay from drying out.


She had only spent the equivalent of ten minutes on the goblet, so it didn’t make her very tired. In real time, only a few seconds had passed.

Huh?

Just then, Verona heard a familiar voice in her head. It was Analia, speaking to her mind to mind through the connection everyone shared with their twin.

/Did you make it to class on time?/ she asked. /I heard about the tram running late./

/I was a couple minutes late, but it wasn’t a problem. Shaper Yeten is nice like that./ Verona replied. Of course she didn’t speak the exact words in her mind - it was the general sentiment that went through. She had always thought it was similar to the sensation of getting so absorbed in a book that you didn’t register the actual words, only their meaning.

/That’s good./ Analia said. There was an awkward pause. Verona thought she could detect a slight coolness in Analia’s tone, but after their argument yesterday evening, she was just glad they were on speaking terms again. She resolved not to bring the matter up for a while. But by the three gods, if she doesn’t change her mind, I’ll have to do something.

Yeah all of this Analia stuff I would take out for now. You've already introduced so much into just the first half of the first chapter. I'm not going to be remember all of this stuff - all of the character stuff plus all of the world stuff. I like that you're putting us right into it, but I also want to get to the point. Some of this world information (like the twin stuff) can come out later when we have a little more context.

You could still sense your twin’s emotions, but you couldn’t talk to each other.

So if you take out the twin stuff for the time being, take this out.

These ones only blocked telepathy and technological implants, but there were others that blocked Moving and Shaping. The most powerful could completely cut off the connection to your twin, but thankfully those were banned except for limited military training.

This feels tangential. We don't need to know all of this yet.

Overall though, interesting start. It's a slow start, which really isn't a bad thing. It gives the reader the chance to get their feet under them and get a sense of who the players are and what the world is like before we jump into the fun :) Really not a lot of plot has happened yet (but this is only the first part of the chapter so I'll let that slide :p). But you have really nice descriptions and some nice character and world development (which I've already mentioned). And overall your style and writing mechanics are good :) So I'll leave things there for now.

I'd be happy to keep following your story if you like my review style/approach. If not, no worries, I won't be offended :)

And let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing!




Mea says...


Hahaha I'm glad you read this one and not the other one, because the other one dumped even more stuff on you. I decided to take it a bit slower for this, and I might make it even slower in the future.

I'm actually glad you don't read sci-fi/fantasy that often, because it means that you can tell me when I'm being confusing. A lot of sci-fi/fantasy fans are used to the whole "plunged into a new world" thing and just roll with the punches.

The Room is a magic room, it doesn't really exist except in Verona's head, and time doesn't pass normally there. It's just the way they channel their magical Shaping powers. I'll try to make this less confusing - it was one of the hardest sections for me to write.

And I think this is a great style of reviewing, because it gives me a chance to see how you react as a reader. Very valuable information. :D

Thanks so much! This is very helpful.



User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 am
View Likes
Apricity wrote a review...



Heyo! Flite here for a review, I saw the second chapter in the green room and thought I'd start from the first. Anyways, here I am.

I think Wolfe have pointed this out already but I'll just say a bit on it. This was a problem that I found throughout the chapter, I'll just use the starting paragraph for example.

Verona pulled open the heavy front door of the Advanced Study Institute and ran full-pelt down the hallway. The sound of her feet pounding against the tiles disturbed the quiet, majestic aura that the arched ceiling, huge stained glass windows, and ornate staircase brought. Verona knew she was being rude, but she was already late. She glanced at her wrist, where the time was displayed above her watch in holographic letters only she could see, courtesy of the implants in her eye. Class had started five minutes ago. She couldn’t miss the final exam.


Your writing feels very heavy-weighted, imagine cotton. It is light, fluffy when freshly extracted. Now imagine dunking those cotton in water, that is what paragraphs feel like. Your sentences are quite long in length and there are a lot of redundancy. Let's have a look at the part highlighted green. I think majestic, quiet aura would have done its job without all the other decorations. If you want to include them in, start another sentence. The commas between them create a very chunky flow. And whilst I'm rambling on about descriptions, there is also another problem with it. It's flat, there is no life in it and the reason of this is because a lot of your descriptions are incredibly vague and generalized. For example:

The lighting was soft without being dim.


That really doesn't really tell me much about the lighting of the room because 'soft' and 'dim' are both terms that can be perceived in very broad ways. What I always find effective is to compare them to something, metaphors, similes you name it. Be specific with your descriptions, you're trying set a certain mood with it.

Her teacher, a lovely woman named Oni Yeten, looked up from her techpad and smiled. “Don’t worry, it’s not a problem. I was just giving them some time to review before the exam. Why don’t you go relax for a moment? We’ll be starting soon.”

“Thank you, Shaper,” Verona said, sighing with relief.



How did Yeten went from Yeten to Shaper? I'm assuming that's the title of whatever classes she teachers or maybe that's just how they call their teachers in your world. But an explanation would be nice. Also, there is a bit of telling here. Wouldn't it be more effective to describe the manner and tone in which Shaper dealt with Verona's lateness hence showing us that she is a lovely woman, rather than telling us?

She thought she knew everything, but she couldn’t quench her nerves, so she decided to Shape something. That always calmed her down.


So many 'she's. Watch out for how you open your sentences, remember that variation is important. If you start all your sentences with 'she' then it's going to gain a very mechanical term. Play around with your words, explore.

he stared at it for a moment, then closed her eyes, opened the door in her head, and stepped into the Room of Shaping.

The noise of the students was suddenly cut off as the Room blossomed before her.


The transition could be written better. How did it go from a bowl to an entire room? What exactly is shaping? What does the shaped room feel like? Taste like? This obviously isn't her first time Shaping, so what are some of her thoughts? Clue us in. There's a lot of action happening but Verona seems so detached from it all because there isn't much thought processing here. And so she goes into the room, shapes a goblet and comes out again. Is the goblet meant to be meditative? How exactly did her experience helped her calm down? Because you didn't mention that. She went in. Made a goblet. Came out. Pocketed the goblet.

So, what was the purpose of that?

The general pace and structure of this chapter seems rather loose and disconnected, like you're not quite sure of what to write about but you have things you need to explain. So you've put them on the page and linked them in sequential event, there are a lot of questions here that needs explaining which I'm guessing will happen in later chapters. I don't know what is driving the plot at the moment, as in there are no conflicts that I could see.

Another thing to keep in mind is how you present Verona to the readers, remember to clue us in about her thoughts on events. Not just the actions.

I hope I wasn't too harsh, you've got a good concept here. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

-Flite




User avatar
152 Reviews


Points: 1303
Reviews: 152

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:36 am
ChimeraMania wrote a review...



Hey Hey, here to review this as well.
First in foremost.

I was sick that day and you know how it is with textbook explanations.”

I keep debating about this. In my head, I feel and think he would say 'you know how I am with textbook explanations.' I may be completely wrong, but something in my head keeps suggesting that. Although the way you have it completely words, I just had to let you know what my head was persisting.

The room was spacious and circular, the only door the one Verona had just come through.

"The room was spacious and circular, the only door was the one Verona had just came through.

She always used clay when she was pleasure Shaping - it made her less tired because she didn’t have to fuss about with tools.

'pleasure Shaping'? Maybe describe that a little bit. When I read that line, I thought you meant she took pleasure in Shaping, but I did want to jump to conclusions.

On her desk sat the lump of clay, now a fully formed goblet, ready to be fired.

"On her desk sat, what once was the lump of clay, was now a fully formed goblet, ready to be filled."
You don't have to add that little middle part, but I hope you meant filled instead of fired.

*Okay pause the reviewing.*
I don't know, I feel as though some stuff in here could be explained. Like what does Sharper mean? What's a tram? You explained the twin link and the Room, but there's also the little stuff that readers might not understand. So on in the story you could slide in what those things are with words or description, it's up to you and I really hope you take that little bit of advise.
*Okay back to reviewing*

Oh, whelp I'm finished reading this. So I skimmed over the other Chapter 1 and I kind of liked it a little better than this to be honest with you. BUT again, I only skimmed. I feel you're messing information that's important for the readers to understand more. Although I do like this and I have a feeling I can see how it led up to her mother's death. Hopefully I'm right.

All in all, I still want to read this, so that's a plus. Again, I'm about to read the second part but keep writing, it's worth reading in my opinion.

~Sharrae out, tottles




Mea says...


Thanks for the review. :)

A tram is similar to a train - they use them for public transportation in some places.

And I actually did mean fired - that's when you put the clay into a kiln to make it harden so the item is useable.



ChimeraMania says...


I figured that out. Ah, well I did not know that. Now that I do, it's perfect. Send me a link for when you post the next part shuggs.



Mea says...


Will do. :D



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:21 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello again, Meandbooks! I'm here for The Big Review review. Let's get started!
(Also, please excuse any typos as I am on a tablet :3)

I must say that I really like this edited version much more than the original, which is what editing is for, isn't it? What's nice here is that you've slowed things down and focused on scene and showed us a lot of your world so we're engaged and interested in what kind of conflict will happen. More gushing later ~

First thing, in the beginning I do like that you took some time to describe some of the surroundings while still instating the sense of panic that would happen because, well, she's late. However, there were some parts where there was too much crammed into one sentence, especially in the first paragraph. Images and descriptions are good to go into detail with, yes, but space it out over a couple lines, because otherwise the sentence becomes convoluted and hard to follow.

For example:

The sound of her feet pounding against the tiles disturbed the quiet, majestic aura that the arched ceiling, huge stained glass windows, and ornate staircase brought.


It's not too terrible here, but I did have to think about it. It would bring much more clarity to perhaps split this into to two sentences and expand or cut down to conintune with the brisk, panic that comes from Verona. However you feel may fit better.

That's the only general item that I noticed, which is nice, especially because most of the piece read with a nice flow that connected each thought and line together well. But I have a few quick nit-picks.

But by the three gods, if she doesn’t change her mind, I’ll have to do something.


I think this is a perspective switch or a moment that italics were forgotten to signify that it is a thought. Not a big deal, but earlier on I noticed a part where Verona specifically "thought" something, but was also not italicized. So, in case you were unaware (or if it was just forgetfulness) normally thoughts are italicized to signify that it's indeed not a perspective switch and a direct character thought.

"I was just giving them some time to review before the exam. Why don’t you go relax for a moment?" -- Shaper Yeten


This is me getting super nit-picky, but why does Yeten assume that Veronica will not need this time? While we are shown, of course, that she does not, but is Verona some kind of star student that only scores 110%? That doesn't seem the case if she studied for hours for the exam, so this seems odd for her Shaper to say. Perhaps you can rephrase it to have the same meaning, but be more open ended like "You can relax if you don't want to review." Just a suggestion.

No quote with this one, but I am wondering, why is Analia in her class already? If they are indeed twins, wouldn't they be on the same tram? Or if they weren't, wouldn't Verona wonder why? It seems peculiar to me. (Also, Analia says she "heard about the tram running late", but she can telepathically talk to her sister. Wouldn't know from her that the tram was late and wouldn't say that? Seems to be repeating things she -- and we -- already know.)

That's all I have for you. I really enjoyed all the world building that's been set up in this chapter, as we get to see this Shaping that Verona does, which seems like a type of magic but it's also mixed in with some sci-fi because of the transmitters and such.

(Also, you presented the Lani thing very well, I must say. Since you already introduced it in the previous first chapter, I already know, but the foreshadowing is well placed and I'd say enjoyable for someone who were rereading the book.)

Once again, awesome chapter and I look forward to read more ~ Hope I helped! Keep Writing,
~Wolfe




Mea says...


Thank you! I'm glad you caught the italics thing - it was italicized, but when I copy/paste it, it gets rid of all the formatting, and I must have missed it when I fixed it.

Analia is in class already because she has an earlier class than Verona does. :) I'll try to make that clearer.




Perhaps the real rickroll was the friends we made along the way
— GengarIsBestBoy