z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

One More Second

by Mazuurek


As he paces softly towards the open doorway to the living room he hears his daughter. It is silent in the house, and the child’s quiet breaths do not pierce the silence but merely permeate it. He, too, breathes along with her, but in a controlled, synchronised fashion – reserved, discreet, as if he wants to remain undetected for the moment. And that is just his intention. He is hesitant.

When he reaches the doorway and she comes into view he swallows hard in anticipation before freezing. His breath catches in his throat and his eyes open wide in a momentary fear – perhaps she has heard him swallowing. But then something outside the window catches her attention and he allows himself to relax – exhaling, shoulders drooping – if only for this moment.

His awareness of the context resurfaces not in flashing images or fleeting recollections, but in the simple re-acknowledgement of recent events. The child is hurt – frightened and confused. The back of her head and the soft brown curls covering it try desperately to portray a nondescript façade of serenity – of status quo – but he knows the truth. He knows what she feels, and not simply through the inexplicable emotional bond a father and child shares. He knows what she feels, and not simply through the little nuances in her behaviour that betray her emotions – forceful upright posture, hands clasped and squirming. He knows what she feels because he has caused her to feel them.

He is hurt – frightened and confused. His body language offers an indication that is without purpose, for he already knows. His awareness is its justification, his actions its result – and not simply the furtive movements of the present but the very opposite: the angry outburst of before. He does not remember what he has said earlier – rather, he does not care to remember – for he too is victim to an uncanny series of events, one that both sensitises his heart to the slightest touch and numbs it with pain. The shouting, the raised fist – they are merely impulses, the unfinished and unrefined byproducts of his thought process. Inadvertent – but he knows that is not a word he can simply hide behind. It is own fault for being so easily overwhelmed with anguish. And it is perhaps because of this very nature of his that the events have occurred. It is perhaps because of it that she has left.

And as the thought of it – not the recollection but the simple awareness – returns, he is faced with an inadvertent realisation:

Mother won’t come back.

Mother won’t come back. These four words are all he needs to tell his daughter, but he hesitates. Through the five syllables and eighteen letters she will understand everything – understand, and likely even forgive him – but he hesitates, for those are the most difficult four words he will utter, the most agonising five syllables and eighteen letters he will enunciate. It is simply because they are so important that he hesitates to say them. And it is simply because they are so important that he knows he cannot hesitate any longer.

The child shifts again in her seat on the sofa, and he knows he is running out of time. Within the next few seconds her inquisitive inspection of the living room – or perhaps, her acute sensing of the indicators of his presence – will draw her eyes to his figure in the doorway, and he will be stuck in limbo – a thief caught in the act, a murderer caught red-handed. He wishes she would simply freeze – that time would simply freeze and that he would remain in this stasis forever, gazing at her affectionately – but that is wistful thinking. It is wistful and at the same time cowardly.

And still, he makes no attempt to shrug off this cowardliness. His hand brushes against the oak of the door frame, a fingernail gingerly scraping over the surface. He exhales, a little louder this time. He shifts his weight ever so slightly, and his pant legs rub against each other. He lifts a foot and drags it through the doorway, purposefully keeping it low so that his soles may inadvertently rub against the floor and make a slight noise. It is as if he wants to catch her attention, but at the same time it is as if he wants to remain undetected for the moment. And that is just his intention. It is wistful. It is cowardly. But what wistfulness – what cowardice – is there is delaying an inevitable outcome? There is only that which is known solely to him and him only – and he is content with that. He will continue to be wistful, he will continue to be cowardly – just so that it might delay his speaking for one more second, just so that it might delay her knowing for one more second.

Just so that she might remain innocent for one more second.

Author's Note: A short piece I wrote yesterday. I'm generally most at home with this style of writing - dilating the few seconds of a single event into an entire short story. It's been a while since I've written a short story, and an even longer while since I've written a short story in this style, so apologies if it comes across as lacking.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
359 Reviews


Points: 455
Reviews: 359

Donate
Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:42 pm
steampowered wrote a review...



Hello, steampowered here for a review! I read this when you first linked me to it, but it took me a little while to get around to reviewing this. Hopefully this review was worth the wait…

I’ve really enjoyed reading your short stories and this one was definitely no exception. I really wish I had your talent for writing short stories, but I’ve never been very good at condensing my ideas, so I’m definitely envious of your abilities.

I don’t really have any criticisms to make (oh goodness, this really is going to be a short review. I’m sorry!) apart from perhaps the fact that you use a quite literary style which I feel sometimes interferes a little with the flow. For example:

a nondescript façade of serenity – of status quo


and

He is hurt – frightened and confused. His body language offers an indication that is without purpose, for he already knows. His awareness is its justification, his actions its result – and not simply the furtive movements of the present but the very opposite: the angry outburst of before. He does not remember what he has said earlier – rather, he does not care to remember – for he too is victim to an uncanny series of events, one that both sensitises his heart to the slightest touch and numbs it with pain. The shouting, the raised fist – they are merely impulses, the unfinished and unrefined byproducts of his thought process. Inadvertent – but he knows that is not a word he can simply hide behind. It is own fault for being so easily overwhelmed with anguish. And it is perhaps because of this very nature of his that the events have occurred. It is perhaps because of it that she has left.


I just feel like sometimes simpler words and phrasing might be better. It’s not like I didn’t understand them (since my vocabulary is pretty good, I think) but since they were less familiar it did take me a little longer to work out what you were trying to say. And of course, some readers may struggle. But that’s just my personal opinion. :)

Overall, this was a great story which raises a lot of interesting questions. I’m rather inclined to think that perhaps there was domestic abuse going on, although surely the little girl wouldn’t be totally innocent if that was the case. Perhaps an affair that descended into violence? (I feel like violence is definitely involved somewhere, because of the mention of the fist) Obviously you’re leaving it to the reader’s own interpretation, which I really like. Sorry this review was a bit rubbish, and keep writing!




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 327
Reviews: 43

Donate
Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:52 pm
anniegirl123 wrote a review...



Hey, Annie here for a (hopefully helpful) review!

At the beginning I was very curious, I was wondering why he was watching his daughter while she slept. Then as it progressed I began to realize he must have done something wrong (maybe violent?) and felt guilty about it.

It is interesting how he does hesitate to tell his daughter that her mother will not be coming back. I found the ending very interesting (and I loved that last sentence) but your story leaves me with a lot of questions.

What exactly did he do to make her mother leave? Why won't she ever come back? Does he ever tell his daughter what happened? Does she forgive him?

Well, overall I found this to be a very interesting story and I really enjoyed reading it. :)




Mazuurek says...


Thanks for the review!

I'm glad when readers finish the story and ask questions, because that was my intention when writing the piece. Okay, not to ask questions, but rather to interpret the story themselves and fill in the blanks themselves. What he did to make the mother leave is up to you - maybe he hurt her, maybe they got into an argument. The other questions all have answers that only the reader can subjectively derive, and I think that's one of the nicest parts about storytelling - allowing the reader to make their own story out of it.



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:56 pm
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here for a quick review.

So, first off, I really like what you've got going here. The father has a nice strong voice, and we as readers can really understand his struggle. I only have a few suggestions.


1. Right now, you're pretty much in third person omniscient. We're pretty "far away" from the father's mind, and that makes it not as emotional as it could be. If you were to write it in a closer third person, it would probably flow better and feel more emotional.

Here are some examples of why it feels distant:

reserved, discreet, as if he wants to remain undetected for the moment. And that is just his intention.

Because you specifically tell us that is his intention, it pulls us out of his head. If you just said "he wants to remain undetected," we wouldn't be pulled as far out of his head.

However, it's possible that you wanted this to be sort of detached, third person omniscient point of view. If that's the case, you did a nice job and it works quite well, but if you want it to be more emotional, you might want to move the viewpoint in a little closer.

2. This story could kind of use an ending. Right now, it basically serves to tell us the father's state of mind at the moment, but nothing actually happens. He doesn't even actively make the decision to tell her. At the end of the story, he's still hesitant, and I think that makes it a little bit weaker. Even if you don't want to include the girl's reaction, you could at least have him step forward to tell her, and that would serve as a nice bit of closure.

I really like how he breaks down the words into the number of letters and syllables. It adds a nice touch.

Something else I just thought of - you might want to mention how the mother died. Because I'm assuming that it was some form of accident, but at the beginning when you were talking about how the father "has caused her to feel" the emotions, I thought maybe the father had murdered the mother. And I'm not sure that's what you were going for!

One last little nitpick:
but that is wistful thinking

Wistful is a word, and the other times you use it in this piece, you use it correctly, but the phrase is "wishful thinking," not "wistful."

And that's all I've got for you! I hope this review was helpful, and if anything I said was confusing, just ask. Good luck and keep writing!




Corncob says...


I think they got into a (possibly violent) fight and she left; he didn't murder her. But I could be wrong.



Mazuurek says...


Thanks for the review!

First off, thanks for pointing out the mistake with "wishful thinking". I never actually noticed. I'll be on the lookout for it in future writings!

I did intend for this writing to be in a very detached perspective, but I see what you mean about trying to draw out more emotions in the story and making it one readers can better relate to. I'll take it into consideration when I'm writing similar pieces in the future.

Both issues about how it ends and how the mother dies I deliberately left open to interpretation. In fact, it's possible that the mother didn't even die and she simply left the family. I think it's nice if a story allows readers to interpret for themselves certain plot elements (though of course there is always a limit). The intention of this story was simply to generate an atmosphere of hesitation and tension, not necessarily to illustrate the reasons for it or its outcome. At the end of the story the main character is actually hesitant, but there is some change. He makes slight noises here and there in a sort of token attempt to break his hesitation. He's still hesitant, but he's trying his best.

Again, thank you for the review!



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:13 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, Mazuurek (nice name, by the way - wonder why you chose it?) your awesome buddy is here to give you a fabulous review! :D

Okay, I don't want to talk about plot because it's evident here that there's not much of it - not that I complain. I just want to give you an advice that using repetitions can be effective when you're repeating a word, but when you're repeating a phrase, that gets more difficult to be effective. For example, the "frightened and confused" shouldn't be repeated because while it suits the condition the girl is in, it doesn't suit the man.

Another repetition that I want to touch upon is this:

It is simply because they are so important that he hesitates to say them. And it is simply because they are so important that he knows he cannot hesitate any longer.


Repeating "it is simply because" just makes the sentence wordy, and it really doesn't need that phrase. Not to mention the meaning of these two sentences aren't really different - one is to say he hesitates while the other is to say he cannot hesitate any longer. I think adding a "but" is better here to link these, as it would show us that because it's important, he hesitates but couldn't for a longer time.

The part where he makes those sound-producing movements, and says he wishes to be undetected is confusing. I don't really think that's how a person would do to remain undetected. I think you've got your message wrong here - perhaps a bit of explanation about that?

Apart from that, I think you've done well of creating a voice for the main character. Your mastery of making descriptions to accentuate his feelings and personality is always incredible. You've missed none the opportunity to make body languages and what not, focusing on details to give impact in a bigger picture. I would hope though that in the future you would choose a more challenging theme for your story since right now I'm seeing you using this theme to brings comfort to you. Perhaps write about something controversial, something taboo that has never been discussed? I'm sure it would affect your writing style.

All in all, keep up the good job! :D





Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein