Fifty

by Mazuurek

This is a rewrite of a short story I did in 2011. I actually wrote this last Christmas, but eh better late than never.

____________________________________________

On a cold winter night, down the deserted streets of New York, she was walking. 

It had been eleven hours since she left the orphanage on her job. Nine sounds of the bell a few minutes ago had reminded her of the time. Still, the basket of flowers she clutched tightly remained full and her pockets empty. 

She stopped to catch her breath, setting the basket down onto the cobblestone pavement. Against the uneven surface and snow it threatened to tilt or even topple over, but she took great effort to ensure the arrangement of flowers remained pristine. After all, she had spent almost an hour arranging them to perfection - stacking the roses up in front in plain sight, hiding the wilting little carnation behind the other flowers - all in hopes perhaps a kind soul might take notice and buy one. The fact that they remained in their beautiful arrangement even now meant that her effort had so far been for naught. 

As she wrapped her fingers around the rattan handle she picked up a savoury scent in the air. Almost instinctively she looked up, scanning her surroundings to find its source - a restaurant across the street. Quickly she took up the basket of flowers and crossed to the other side. Between the pavement and the open window was a layer of untrodden snow, and when she set down the basket and took a step her slippers sank into the soft white mass. The snow seemed to cut into her bare skin, but the scent drew her forward, deeper into the snow, till at last she was at the window.

She tiptoed to peer over the windowsill into the restaurant. Three, no, four families, sitting at tables enjoying their meals. She pressed her hands against the warm glass as she took in the sight. The plates of stew at each seat caused her mouth to water. She licked her lips. So enchanted was she by the sight that she didn't hear the door to the restaurant open. 

"Might want to watch out for that basket of yours," a deep voice rang out from behind her, and she nearly jumped out of her skin. Her legs were numb, and when she painstakingly turned around she saw a middle-aged gentleman watching her amusedly. He was dressed modestly, but she could sense an air of affluence about him. 

"I'm s-sorry," she stuttered as she scrambled back to the basket, and then a thought came to her.

"Say, mister," she took the basket and held it out to him, "would you like to buy some flowers?" 

The gentleman walked up to her and peered at the basket. She recoiled slightly as he drew close to her. 

"They're a dollar apiece," she added meekly. 

He seemed to be appraising her offerings, though whether it was the arrangement itself or any particular specimen he was interested in she couldn't tell. 

"I'll take this one," he said after a while, pointing at the basket. His other hand went to his coat pocket. She followed his finger, but couldn’t quite tell which flower he was pointing at.

“This one?” she offered as she held up the largest rose of the bunch. At the same time she eyed the thick wallet the gentleman had taken out.

“No,” he replied, and then he reached for the back of the basket and pulled out a single flower. “This one.”

It was the wilting carnation. Her cheeks turned red with embarrassment, but he simply tucked the stem into the breast pocket of his coat. He opened up his wallet and started rummaging through it. After a few seconds a look of uncertainty came over his face.

“I don’t seem to have a dollar note,” he lamented, and at the same time he glanced at the girl. She looked down dejectedly – he knew. She didn’t have any change; she didn’t even have any money to begin with. She had been sent out to sell flowers. If she didn’t make any money she wouldn’t be allowed to return to the orphanage.

When she looked up again the man had pulled out a fifty-dollar note. Her eyes grew wide.

“I’m pretty sure I have small change somewhere,” he muttered, and then he reached out his hand. “Hold this for me for a moment. I’ll find a dollar.”

Gingerly she took the note out of his hands. For a few seconds it was the only thing she could see. She held it with both hands, feeling her fingertips press against the paper. The sheer value it represented made her mind reel.

Suddenly her vision was obscured by a flurry of white. It was cold. She stumbled back and her hands went flying, though her right hand held on tightly to the note. She put her hands to her face and realised it was snow. Quickly she wiped it off her face and looked up, only to see the gentleman a distance down the street, walking away at a steady pace.

“Mister!” she called out. “Your money!”

He continued walking.

“Mister!” she took a few steps forward, waving the note in the air.

Again, no response. But as he reached a corner he raised a hand into the air. In it was the carnation. And then he rounded the corner and disappeared from view.

“Mister!” she called out again.

But her voice rang out to no one, resounding down the deserted street.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:49 am
Shoneja123 says...

I think tears are imminent. What a lovely story. Thank you

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:35 am
TheLittlePrince says...

*sobs* This was beautiful...Have you read 'The Last Leaf', this reminded me of that... I love it.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:55 am
Lightsong says...

Remind me to review this later.

Pretzelstick says...

Go do it!

Lightsong says...

UNFORTUNATELY. My laptop charger is broken. :'(

dankmemelord wrote a review...

Hello, its me!

First of all I would like to point out how beautiful this short story was. Your vocabulary was excellent. Especially when you used the word "painstakingly". You described everything very well while leaving some room for imagination for the reader. The story had a very nice flow to it.

The characters were good. I think the man was well thought out and a very lovable characters. The characters you chose were very fitting and brought the story to life.

I do suggest looking over it though because there are some small grammar mistakes and a couple of awkward sentences.

Overall this was a lovely short story. I very much enjoyed reading this and I think that is the most important part of being writer. Having someone to read and enjoy your work. I hope that you continue to write things such as this. I plan on reading and reviewing more of your work in the future.

Goodbye, have a nice day!

Emily.S

Ruby68 wrote a review...

Hey there!

I really liked this work! I like the mystery of the characters especially the stranger, it leaves a lot to the imagination. There is very little that I would change. However, I feel the part where the snow blows up into her face could be a little clearer. Just play around with the wording a little, it felt kind of off from the rest of the story. At first I thought the man had thrown the snow at her but I'm not really sure if that's what you were going for or if the snow blew into her face.
Other than that one paragraph I really liked the story, nice work!

Rascalover wrote a review...

Hi!!

Aside from a few grammatical errors and wording mishaps, this is a solid piece of work. I really enjoyed all the details and imagery you put into this piece, and I don't think it has to be winter ro Christmas time for an audience to read this and see it's potential. It reminds of me of all the humanity pieces floating around on social media these days of strangers giving money to the poor or praying with them as they eat a meal together.

I think the stranger's character could be a little stronger, but I also like the face that he almost feels like an angel. As a reader, I want to know more about the girls age and the orphanage she was at. The first line had me a little confused "had left the orphanage on her job", but now that I have read it in full I understand that selling the flowers was a job she was doing for the orphanage.

Excellent work!
Tiffany

She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.
— Atticus