Wallace Foster David

by Maximilia

I

Down old pastures, I find the color of my old pains. The things that sheltered me,

gave me clutch and cling before the world and my growing age.

Country roads that bleed down into a life that has bled from me,

these wrinkled, runny wrists, winding red down into the field

where the chickens and the children chase free; the children the fowl, and the fowl their chopped heads.

I am coming home to my burial grounds.

Scraping soil over my own body, remembering the close of my mother's arms around me.

I am lying down in my grave.

I am dying where I was saved.

II

Backwards, I am being born.

I am breathing new the old southern air. I am crying at my flesh and at the fresh sway of gathered hay.

I fist, grasp, suckle at an accent as heated as the country summer,

drawing at idioms, dumb with understanding.

This is not the womb any longer, I float in the embryonic fluid of the forest creek.

And if it don't rise, then this is not the world, and this indeed is the womb, and I am born still.

And it is beautiful. Has anyone supposed it lucky, to be born dead?

Veni wrote a review...

Hey there.

I love your poem.

I like your use of alliteration in "wrinkled, runny wrists". I like how your vibrant use of emotive language builds a distinctive picture in my head. The link to between being born and dying (which I presume is your theme or idea) is strong. Maybe a little too strong.

I was wondering why exactly why did you write this poem in two parts. I feel like you could make it flow better if you just made it one continuous poem. I also feel like you could add some short sentences because by varying your syntax you might add even more impact to your poem and help get your powerful message across even further.

Keep up the good writing and it awesome to see others with talent like you because I myself am not the poet.

Signed Vicky

Maximilia says...

Thank you!!

Well, there's a story to this one: this originated from just a random spur of, like..."writing energy", I'll call it. Haha. I just got this urge to write, with only the first line in my head to go on. And eventually, of course, I ran out of gas and stopped.

Originally, I'd thought Part I was the end of this man's story. I couldn't see where else it could go. But then about two weeks later, I reread it and I saw that this really was a STORY and that...I dunno...it just felt right to segment it like this. Natural.

It's sort of reflective of how we all eventually segment our own lives into parts, you know? So, yeah. :)

As for the sentences, yep. I've been definitely tweeking around with this idea. Thanks for the second here, too!

Graci!

- Max

Blackwood wrote a review...

The thing that stood out the most to me in this was the alliteration.

wrinkled, runny wrists, winding

chickens and the children chase

Scraping soil

These all came to me at once, and I think that its rare to see alteration in poetry on this site. You had a big block of it here in the middle, you could try spreading it out a bit.

I like your extended metaphor of birth and babies which retains your theme throughout.

Something I didn't like as much was your layout. It seems to be written like a story and with the double spaces it feels sort of awkward to place, I cant tell where what starts and where what ends, poetry has form in that words must sound if read out loud, it also has a visual value and needs to be nice on the eyes and look right in order to have full impact.
Firstly i recommend single spaces (shift-enter), then experiment with lines and line breaks.

However the wording in this has very beautiful meanings and is deep within themselves. There are many lines that I like in this so I can't exactly quote the entire poem.

Good job and keep it up.

Maximilia says...

Ah, yes. I have no idea how to manage the layout on this site, though I made a few attempts to get it the way I had it on my processor. So I completely agree with you - it's irritating for me to look at, myself.
(Thanks for the tip, too!)

Yhank Tou :3

-Max
- Max

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:07 am
Cmacca says...

I float in the embryonic fluid of the forest creek

My favourite line.

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane