z

Young Writers Society



Departure

by Mattie


When he said that she would be the last person he would ever love he meant it. When he promised that he would come back and not leave her waiting he meant that too. Letting go of her that night was the hardest thing he could have done. She understood, nodding her head while she tried to muffle her crying as he let her go. She watched as he got into the carriage, kissed her once more, and then he left down the winding road. What he didn’t promise though, was that he would never forget her and that she would not find a new love.

Standing on the balcony of the empty darkening mansion he had left her in, she awaited for his arrival. The house had an airy stillness to it and held many secrets that plagued her mind each hour of darkness. It had been nearly a year since his departure. By then all she could do was linger and anticipate that he would return so that the house would be filled with joy and happiness, not sorrow and torment. Her long black hair, much like a raven wing, was soft and shiny and glistened in the midnight moon. Blue eyes held unshed tears and her lip quivered; yet she made no sound of her agony. Looking up towards the moon like so many other nights, she prayed that he would return to her. It was a ritual she repeated with every heartbeat each night. Holding the golden locket around her neck in her clenched hand, she would whisper his sweet name like a prayer over and over again until she would cry, letting the tears that had not fallen slip down her rosy cheeks.

“Richard, my sweet Richard, return to me so that I will not witness this suffering each night, with ever heartbeat of my undying heart that holds your love, I will always cherish your departed words, ‘I love you and forget me not.’ Richard, oh Richard.”

Her breathing got more rapid as she spoke, more passionate as she ended. By the time she was finished she could not even whisper his name again without her stomach tightening into knots of torture. Crying softly, she turned and hurried through the French doors, her ruby colored dress swishing along her feet as if trying to escape the pain it witnessed every night. Breaking down and crumpling to the floor, she cried and shook with ever breath she took. Whispering the same prayer, this time quietly to herself.

“Richard, my sweet Richard, return to me so that I will not witness this suffering each night, with every heartbeat of my undying heart that holds your love, I will always cherish your departed words, ‘I love you and forget me not.’ Richard, oh Richard.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
88 Reviews


Points: 648
Reviews: 88

Donate
Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 am



#8000BF ">Hi! I LOVE your stories!*purple, eep!*
You are so creative with your writing, how old were u when u wrote this!
~JVM




User avatar
582 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 582

Donate
Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:02 pm
KJ says...



Wasn't attention grabbing. I got bored and to be honest, I didn't finish. Has potential, but needs work. Might want to add spacing between paragraphs.




User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 461

Donate
Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:38 pm
GingerLizzy wrote a review...



I liked the story line but I have to admit, it is not really the most interesting and it seems I have read it all before. Nevertheless [is that even a word???] I enjoyed reading it and thought that you did, infact, write it well.

One thing I will say is, structure. I didn't and don't enjoy when people clump all of their writng together in big blocks and I think this should include more paragraphs, so it makes it seemed more spaced out, if anything.




User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 129

Donate
Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:42 pm
Mattie says...



Well, that's not all of the story and I never finished it. About two years old maybe?




User avatar
148 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 148

Donate
Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:29 pm
ohhewwo says...



The writing is good, but the storyline was just...nothing special. That's all I can really say. How old was this?





The person who has no opinion will seldom be wrong.
— Anonymous