z

Young Writers Society



Religion

by MasterGrieves


Started a new religion
Now everybody loves me
For the first time in a while

Gotta make some money
One way or the other
For the first time in a while

It's not arrogance
I'm just desperate
I need attention
Need attention
It's not boredom
I'm just really low
I need affection
Need affection

Create your own religion
Then maybe people would listen
So please make your religion
Please make your religion

This new religion
No one understands
Not for the first time in a while
This new religion's
Got a lot of skeptics
Not for the first time in a while

It's not arrogance
I'm just desperate
I need attention
Need attention
It's not boredom
I'm just really low
I need affection
Need affection

So no need for the religion
People have stopped listening
So no point in this religion
There's no point in this religion


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
530 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 530

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:13 pm
View Likes
Renard wrote a review...



Heyo.
I went into this feeling skeptical because of the title. Hmmm.
You didn't disappoint.

Ooh, I must point out, that it's nice to consistently see that you don't use punctuation in any of your works. XD LOL. I see it's always been that way, so okay. I won't quibble with a stylistic choice. Unless you have always just been lazy?
I think though, because of this choice, all of your works tend to read really fast! Something I noticed especially when reading this piece that I couldn't slow it down in my mind.
Accidental or intentional that was quite a clever trick. :)

This new religion
No one understands
Not for the first time in a while
This new religion's
Got a lot of skeptics
Not for the first time in a while


I think we can summarise your standpoint on this topic in those sentences. Hee hee. Sounds very true to you though. So well done. :)

A favourite bit of mine:

Create your own religion
Then maybe people would listen
;)
Challenge accepted :P




User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 2551
Reviews: 100

Donate
Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 am
mystogan wrote a review...



hey sorry for the LATE review, i have been uber busy applying for medicine, i will continue to be busy for a while but anyway here goes...

This poem is split into two for me. The one meaning is behind the word religion and its connotations in this world. The other has to be about the affection and attention seeking.

I will start with religion. I agree with some of the things said about religion. Namely that it brings attention and affection to many extents. Religion has the ability to create beautiful communities.

However i also like how you say things like i need money and that there are cinics to it. Its focusing on aspects of real life that are evident. The first part being about the money collecting. Religious organizations like the church do get a lot of money and sometimes people do question where all that money goes. The other is that all religions have cinics both from other religions and from people who don't believe in religions. I credit you for covering all that in the concise style of writing that is yours.

But the biggest part for me had to be the feeligns part. I get what he is saying when he says he jsut wants attention and he is feeling low. Its a very realistic feeling to have. I have a lot of friedns and family but there are times when i sit or stand there and i feel like i just want some attention. Its definitely not that i am desperate. I am glad he said that because that is the key to it all. He really is not depserate. And people often assume it is because they are just attention seekers.

People just don't get that feeling where someone feels lonely. Saying the whole i am not desperate part just goes to show his attempt to justify his feelings which make sit all the more realistic.

Now i have just the comment on the message regarding what the poem is actually about.
And i like how it goes from a man having a joke to something where he is serious that it is causing a negative effect on people who are buying into it. Anyhow once again i was off the mark.

I don't know if that is meant to be a dig at religion there. I mean the concept of someone starting a religion for a joke and then having people fall for it seems like something that could apply to any religion exisiting today.

It would seem we would never know the truth about older religions. It may genuinely be that someone in the past started them for a joke but then never ended them and it all just kept on going. who knows maybe.

Anyway as i sadi, veyr busy, so i will soon get onto the rest. Like i said, i will eventually read all of them.





If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson