z

Young Writers Society



Obsession Vs. Affection

by MasterGrieves


She's got the look.
But does she know?
She's got the mind.
But how does she cope?

I love her face.
I love her clothes.
The kind of face,
that makes me old.

Wait- what am I?
Voyeur? Lover?
Abused father?
Friendly mother?


I'm in the mood,
for having fun.
Come round my place;
I'll prove my love.

No need for that.
Who needs a phone?
All I must do,
is take you home.

But wait- stop it!
You're acting weird.
Who cares 'bout that?
Who cares 'bout fear?


Twas my conscience.
Officer, please.
Fifteen years-
murderer? Jeez.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
249 Reviews


Points: 9525
Reviews: 249

Donate
Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 pm
View Likes
murtuza wrote a review...



Hey Adam!

I'll make this short!

Okay so firstly, the narration and perspective is good. Sinister and evil as the whole tone is, it gives me an idea about how the poem will go. Though I might be in the minority here (but maybe it's mostly because I've read many poems like this), but to me, it seemed quite obvious as to where the course of the poem was heading. But that's just me. ^.^

Half-rhymes are cool, but not when you recycle them in the same stanza. The charm loses its hold. But you've limited that to the second stanza and made the rest of the poem sound good, rhyme-wise (also, try using more complex rhymes. 'mother', 'father' etc., isn't something particularly creative. I expect a lot more, especially from you!).

I would suggest you deepen the vocabulary of this piece. A lot of simple words in a poem don't bring out as much excitement and meaning to the whole plot since it becomes far to easy to figure out for the reader. It's too simple brief. Broaden the piece a bit more, add more length to the lines and let there be harmony in the syllable counts for the rhyming. Add more descriptions to the way she looks, the way the narrator gets infatuated with her innocence and becomes insanely obsessed with his muse.

All-in-all, I've found myself a bit underwhelmed but at the same time, I appreciate the fact that you've attempted this kind of poem. Though having read the same 'Insane psychopathic killer' formula, it would have been nice to read something different and non-conventional. Maybe try to broaden his attachment to her and build on a story through the relationship that they share so that the reader may find some likability with the characters and reminisce over the bond they once shared until the end saw him with blood-stained hands... or something along those lines. :)

This is good piece. And you've done well to portray the central character in this poem. It's short, doesn't ask for too much, but then also, it is forgettable. Not the best you've written yet, but definitely not bad by any means! Keep the ink flowing, Adam! You're a great writer!

And I think this review isn't as short as I planned to have it... hehe.

Murtuza
:)





"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
— Neil Armstrong