z

Young Writers Society



The Storm Snatchers #1

by Magyk


Chapter One

Liquid spears shot from the silver smudges in the dull, grey sky. The ground shook from the almighty booms, caused by the golden tridents of the Gods. Mountainous, lilac waves formed before shattering onto the yellow sand. A fierce battle between the sky and the earth. The earth, admitting defeat, surrendered, its white flag in the form of a tree engulfed in blood red flames.

Eventually, the sky accepting the surrender of the weak, defenceless earth, pulled back its attack, waiting for the next opportunity to fight. The savage ocean, an old ally of the sky, also saw the burning tree and accepted the fragile truce, slowly returning to its usual ways, small ripples licking at the shore and the old crumbling cliff face.

It was an ancient battle witnessed by everyone, but its shear destruction and strength still amazed most, especially Laynox. Laynox had been sat by his window overlooking Trinken Bay, gazing wide eyed at the storm, his mouth open in awe. The heavy pounding of the rain had woken him and the power of the war had hypnotised Laynox, holding his gaze until the very last drop of rain, the final crashing wave of destruction. He had watched many storms but none quite as dangerous as that.

The people of Trinken and the other villages on the island of Trind had feared storms for half a decade. It was the perfect time for the Zamshkan to attack, the thunder drowned out the drumming of the wings and the cries of the victims, whilst the heavy rain blurred out the glowing red eyes and the bright white scales. The Zamshkan had been attacking the island of Trind every time there was a storm, which was very often on what most people called The Stormy Isle. In total, over the five years of constant attacks, about 700 people had been taken. No one knew what happened to them, but everyone knew they would never be seen again.

As the dark clouds slowly blew to the east, over the ocean to the mainland, and the glowing moon briefly reappeared in the sky, Laynox stood, pulled on an old bearskin coat, and started for the door. He stepped into the cold of the night and was relieved to see that the Zamshkan hadn’t taken his older brother, Akkarn, during the storm. Laynox’s worst fear was that Akkarn would be abducted, the rest of his family already had been and he didn’t know how he would cope without Akkarn. “I’m glad you’re alright! I started to panic when you didn’t come home. I thought they had taken you,” Laynox said wearily.

“No, I was with Zizanda. I thought it would be safer to stay there than going out into the storm. Are you going to the village hall? I am on reception duty, as usual. I just came back to check on you and get a coat.”

“Yes, I was just going to the hall. It was a bad storm! I hope they didn’t take too many people.”

“Aye,” Akkarn said as he entered the house. He came back out with a bear skin coat similar to the one Laynox was wearing. “Let’s go.”

As the two fur clad brothers marched towards the centre of Trinken the drenched mud squelched beneath their old boots. Strong wind whipped at their ankles and ruffled Laynox’s already disheveled blonde hair. His eyes gleamed as the full moon peaked through the clouds. Laynox’s right eye was brown and his left blue, the same as Akkarn’s, and their fathers. No one knew why but all of the males in his family had one brown and one blue eye.

At the end of the short, silent walk into the village both of the young men went immediately to the busy village hall. Akkarn ran his hand through his short black hair, preparing himself for the mighty task ahead. He walked to the large solid oak table at the end of the long hall, set himself in the matching chair behind it and yelled, “Right, you all know the drill. Please register with me or Ajobé,” he gestured to the elderly man next to him, “And if you know for certain of any missing people, please tell us, it makes our lives so much easier.”

A young beautiful woman pushed her way to the table, tears streaming down her face. Loud sobs escaped her mouth and echoed throughout the room. “Akkarn, I – I can’t find – Aleba anywhere,” the woman cried out, “She was only nine months! Why would they – Why take her? They normally leave the young.” The desperation in her voice was obvious.

Laynox looked at his brother in a way that said, “I told you so!”

“I’m sorry for your loss,” Akkarn replied, scribbling down her name onto one register and her baby daughters name onto another register. “We actually received news from Ma-Chi after the last storm saying that two babied were taken. I truly am sorry for your loss, Minthy.”

* * *

As the sun rose, flooding the island in its orange light, the last of the villagers left the hall. Laynox, who had stayed to help Akkarn and Ajobé fill in the registers, added up the total of people stolen. “42.”

Ajobé’s grey eyebrows rose and he whistled. “Are you sure? 42? I think that must be the biggest snatching yet,” the elderly man commented.

“Well, I guess it’s time to tell the villagers and send word to the other villages,” Akkarn sighed, “I hate this job.”

“Nox, do us a favour. Can you find a couple of Runners, tell them the bad news, and send ‘em off?” Ajobé asked. “Make sure the one going to Ma-Chi mentions Aleba, the snatched baby,” he continued.

“Yes, I will,” replied Laynox.

By noon, news from most of the other small villages had arrived by Runner. They also had news from Ma-Chi, the only town on the island and the capital of Trind. A small man appeared at the door to the village hall. “Names Zephyr, Runner of Ma-Chi,” the little man said in a speedy blur of words. “Two babies, five toddlers and 73 adults stolen from Ma-Chi. King Citnal says tha’ it be the greatest ever,” Zephyr concluded, his words only gaining speed the more he talked. The man began to fidget.

“Thank you young Zephyr. You look restless, go, run,” Akkarn said kindly to Zephyr.

The Runner done a half bow as he turned around and ran.

Runners had ruled all of Trind many centuries ago but had been forced to live equally with man. At about waist height, most Runners appeared like children, but a lot more agile and restless. Akkarn had never known a Runner to stay still for more than a few minutes and had once been massively beaten by the oldest Runner on Trind in a race. He had always respected the little Runners more than most people did.

Akkarn watched the Runner shoot out of the hall, yawned and said, “I am going home. It has been a very long day and I hear my bed calling my name. Good nigh – “ he paused, “I should be saying good day, Ajobé.”

“The elderly man sighed. “Good day Akkarn. Thanks you for your help today.”

“It was no problem.”

It took Akkarn five minutes to walk home and he was greeted by Laynox’s loud snoring, it didn’t stop Akkarn from falling asleep though.

:!:

Similar to my last post but with some changes and a title. Please critique and give suggestions for a better title.

Just to let you know, I have used all of the British spellings of words, not American. Words like colour (color), grey (gray), centre (center) and a few others will be spelt differently.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
368 Reviews


Points: 1125
Reviews: 368

Donate
Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:43 pm
Shine says...



hmmmm...would like to see the edited part.




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 49

Donate
Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:21 am
Magyk says...



Thanks. I will try to edit these bits to make them a bit better.

-Magyk




User avatar
563 Reviews


Points: 13816
Reviews: 563

Donate
Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:37 pm
Writersdomain wrote a review...



Hello there, Magyk!

This was a joy to read. Your imagery of the storm sucked me in immediately which is exactly what it should do, and I loved how you described the power of it. Gorgeous. In all, a very good piece you have here - you have true talent.

I only have a few things to mention:

Unnecessary Telling

There were times in this piece when I felt you were telling me things already implied or unnecessary. You have such vivid description and good character development that I feel these telling bits are not needed.

The people of Trinken and the other villages on the island of Trind had feared storms for half a decade. It was the perfect time for the Zamshkan to attack, the thunder drowned out the drumming of the wings and the cries of the victims, whilst the heavy rain blurred out the glowing red eyes and the bright white scales. The Zamshkan had been attacking the island of Trind every time there was a storm, which was very often on what most people called The Stormy Isle. In total, over the five years of constant attacks, about 700 people had been taken. No one knew what happened to them, but everyone knew they would never be seen again.


I don't have a problem with most of this, because it is emotionally aware of your main character. The one sentence I have a problem with is the first one. Because of your description of the storm and your probable future inclusion of this detail, that sentence was not necessary. The rest of it was a bit of a detail dump, but I have no problem with it because of its imagery and because of the emotions pulsing through it.

Laynox's worst fear was that Akkarn would be abducted, the rest of his family already had been and he didn't know how he would cope without Akkarn. "I'm glad you're alright! I started to panic when you didn't come home. I thought they had taken you," Laynox said wearily.


I don't like that you tell us Laynox's worst fear. It would be much more powerful if you left the reader in suspense and provided some body language to hint at this aspect of his personality. That way the reader will sense tension and be intrigued; you can show us how afraid Laynox is later.

Runners had ruled all of Trind many centuries ago but had been forced to live equally with man. At about waist height, most Runners appeared like children, but a lot more agile and restless. Akkarn had never known a Runner to stay still for more than a few minutes and had once been massively beaten by the oldest Runner on Trind in a race. He had always respected the little Runners more than most people did.


Another detail dump, but unlike the other one, this one was not emotionally engaging. You told us and that was all. I think you should either make this more brief and go into more detail later or craft so it is as emotionally engagin as the first dump. Plus, you say they are agile a restless; one of the worst things an author can do is tell the reader the specific traits of a race of character before showing the reader that person, so I suggest you omit that part, and instead, show us the agility and restlessness of the Runners.

Those were the main examples I saw. While your telling is not painful by any means, it sometimes seemed unnecessary, so watch for that in your writing and in this piece.

Body Language

You have some very good body language in here; you characterize your character very well for the most part and I love that. It is an essential skill of being a writer.

At the end of the short, silent walk into the village both of the young men went immediately to the busy village hall. Akkarn ran his hand through his short black hair, preparing himself for the mighty task ahead.


This is a good example. We see Akkarn's personality through his gestures before the mighty task.

While you certainly had some great body language in here, I felt sometimes it could have been more detailed. At times, I felt the language did not echo the intense emotions that you meant it to convey. For instance,

A young beautiful woman pushed her way to the table, tears streaming down her face. Loud sobs escaped her mouth and echoed throughout the room.


This woman is suffering terrible sorrow as we can see, but you seemed to get sloppy here. All you did was show us her movments and then launch into her dialogue. Frankly, I felrt nothing for this girl. Try being more vivid in your descriptions and crafting your sentences in the most efficient and powerful way possible. You did in the storm; you can do it here.

Also, avoid using simple adverbs to convey mood. If you add some sort of action of the character embodying those adverbs, it is much more powerful.

So, when you go back and edit this, watch for these instances. Ask yourself if you are satsified with the emotional effect a section has on the reader and go from there.

Other

And I also thought that after speech you didn't use caps. I will have to look into that one to find out.


I believe you're right. I don't think you need a capital unless the dialogue ends in a period.

It was an ancient battle witnessed by everyone, but its shear destruction and strength still amazed most, especially Laynox.


shear should be sheer?

One Last Word of Advice: Take your time. I did not see this too much in here, but I get the impression in your writing that you can tend to rush through it, so be careful to be meticulous in your writing and make it your very best.

Good luck editing and very good writing here. I enjoyed it immensely. Keep writing and excellent job. If you have any questions, please PM me.




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 49

Donate
Thu May 31, 2007 5:39 pm
Magyk says...



Thank you both for your Critiques. I will be sure to edit the piece and make the alterations.

I thought that earth wouldn't have a capital as it is talking about the ground, not the planet.

And I also thought that after speech you didn't use caps. I will have to look into that one to find out.

Thank you both.

-Magyk




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Thu May 31, 2007 3:59 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



I shall also add a crit. In general, I loved this and will certainly be looking out for more but your punctuation is off in a few places and there are a couple of other spelling mistakes and comments I want to make...

Liquid spears shot from the silver smudges in the dull [comma here] grey sky. The ground shook from the almighty booms, caused by the golden tridents of the Gods. Mountainous [comma here] lilac waves formed before shattering onto the yellow sand. A fierce battle between the sky and the earth. [Should probably be capital for Earth and again in the next sentence] That earth [Comma here] admitting defeat, surrendered, [No need for a comma here] its white flag in the form of a tree engulfed in blood red flames.

Eventually, the sky [Comma here perhaps] accepting the surrender of the weak, defenceless, [No camma here and capital for Earth] earth [Another comma here] pulled back its attack, waiting for the next opportunity to fight. The savage ocean, an old ally of the sky, also saw the burning tree and accepted the fragile truce, slowly returning to its usual ways, small ripples licking at the shore and the old crumbling cliff face.


I'm sure you get the idea. Just read through and check that the rest of your punctuation looks right and feel free to disagree with me if you think it's correct. Other than that...

Paragraph five: Laynox’s worst fear was that Akkarn would be abducted, the rest of his family already had [I think you need to write 'been' here.] and he didn’t know how he would cope without Akkarn.

Paragraph nine (including speech): Strong wind whipped at their ankles and ruffled Laynox’s already ruffled [Don't repeat ruffled, use 'disheveled' or 'untidy.'] blonde hair.

Paragraph ten: Please register with me or Ajobé,” he [You need a capital 'h' here seenas it's after speech and you might want to check the whole story for that. I haven't really been looking out for it.] gestured to the elderly man next to him, “And if you know for certain of any missing people, please tell us, it makes our lives so much easier.”

Paragraph fourteen: Ajobé’s grey eyebrows raised and he whistled. [Rose rather than raised.]




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 57

Donate
Thu May 31, 2007 3:29 pm
RatchetWriter wrote a review...



Ah, no crits? I'll have to fix that. (not that I'm good at crits :cry: )

I think Storm Snatchers is a good title.

Only a few misspellings

saying that two babied --- think you mean babies

The Runner done a half bow as --- did instead of done

I think the idea of your runners is unique and very intresting. Good!

Good description and writing! Although your next section will have to wait for a crit, gotta go.

There, now you have a crit. :D





A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea.
— Honore de Balzac