Ghosted [Chapter 4]

by Mageheart

The Story So Far: Ghost-seeing teenager Van Sullivan returns to South Haven, his childhood town, after ten years of being away. After a rocky reunion with his old best friend Rose and a bus accident, he finds himself in another world with Rose's boyfriend Theo. The two of them fall into an old, abandoned set of ruins and discover Temp, a strange, mannequin-like figure. After leaving the ruins with Temp in tow, the two encounter a woman named Liv. Liv informs the two of them that Temp is a vessel created by this world's god - and that Van is the world's new chosen one.

word count: 1138

A young girl was standing in the graveyard on the end of Thorne Avenue.

She was dwarfed by everything around her: the great willow tree that towered before her with swaying branches, the people only she could see, and even the gravestones seemed oh-so-much bigger than she was. The girl was leaning her back against the willow tree and nursing a lollipop she had gotten in her latest Halloween haul. To any onlooker, the sight would have been a questionable one. The girl appeared to be staring up at something in the air in front of her, but no amount of squinting would reveal exactly what she was watching. She had a look of awe on her little face. Her gaze would occasionally shift around the base of the tree, but that expression still remained. Even though she was surrounded by death and decay, the girl’s world was truly alive.

Her parents were over by the crypt. She was comforted by the low hums of their voices in the distance, even when their words were drowned out by the people gathered before her. Their clothes looked funny compared to what the girl and her parents were wearing, but she didn't mind. She liked how formal John looked in his uniform, even when one of his sleeves hung loose and empty at his side. She loved how Ruth's dress clung to her body but seemed so fancy. And she loved the pretty tie-dye shirt that Terry always had on. 

They were talking about the weather when John suddenly jabbed Terry with his elbow.

“Hey, Terry,” John said, “someone's visiting your grave.” 

The girl was too young to fully grasp what death was. To her, graves were just like little empty houses. Their occupants were never home, but they never minded the visitors. She knew that Terry didn't really have visitors. Ruth sometimes did. John did, too, but they never had the same soft looks that Ruth's visitors had. 

The girl tilted her head and looked at Terry's grave.

The boy standing in front of it didn't look all that special. If anything, he looked unremarkable. But she found herself marching over to him while still sucking on her lollipop.

Behind her, the ghosts muttered quiet words of alarm.

It wasn't until she was standing right next to him that the boy finally looked away from Terry's grave. He still looked just as normal as he did from far away, but there was a warm, friendly look on his face that made her give him a big, toothy grin.

“Hi!” she chirped. She absentmindedly pushed at a loose tooth with her tongue. She had already lost one last month, but she was excited at the possibility of more money from the tooth fairy. Money was a concept she hadn't quite understood yet, too, too, but her parents had brought her to the store to get some candy that she still had in the pocket of her jacket.

The boy returned her grin with one of his own.

“Hi,” he said. He looked back in the direction of the ghosts. She followed his gaze and stared over her shoulder. All of the ghosts looked uneasy. The girl couldn't figure out why. The boy seemed friendly enough, even though he had never been in the graveyard before. “Were you having a good conversation?” 

She frantically spun back to look at him.

She gave a gasp.

“You can see them, too?” she whispered.

He gave a nod. “I can.”

“I thought no one else could!” the girl replied, blue eyes wide in shock. “Mommy and Daddy can't see them – they think they're imaginary.”

“They're real,” the boy reassured her, “and many people can see ghosts like we can. You just haven't met them yet.”

He pointed at himself.

“Besides me, of course!” he added. 

The girl marveled at the possibility of meeting even more people like her someday. They had to have so many ghost friends! She rarely went to other cemeteries, but she always saw them when they were driving. The thought of having both living and dead friends was making her head spin.

But then she saw the way the boy's smile faltered.

Frowning, she reached into her pocket for her candy bar. 

She held out the chocolate to him.

Tilting his head to the side, he studied the chocolate bar like he had never seen one before. Which was silly – everyone knew what candy bars were. If she had known a little bit more about the world, she would have realized that he was only confused by the kindness of the offer.

“You look sad,” she told him. “Candy always makes me feel better!” 

He blinked away tears forming in the corners of his eyes.

“Thank you,” he softly said. He took the candy bar and unwrapped it with care. She expected him to gobble it down on the spot like she always did, but he broke the chocolate bar in half with a nice, even line. 

He handed one half back to her.

Now left with just his half, he plopped himself down in front of one of the graves and took a big bite out of his chocolate. Without giving it even a second thought, she joined him.

“Do you come here a lot?” she asked.

He shook his head.

“It's my first time,” he admitted. “Do you come here a lot?”

She gave a big, enthusiastic nod. “I do! Daddy works here. He says that his family has run it for ages. He also works at the funeral home, but I like being outside more.” 

“The outdoors are definitely nice,” the boy agreed. “And funeral homes are sad and empty. I've been to a few before, but they're missing something. I think it's the people.”

The girl gave a big enthusiastic nod. Her now clean lollipop stick was forgotten on the ground beside her as she took a bite out of her chocolate bar. The boy was leaning back up against Terry's grave now. He looked like he was staring up at the sky, but his eyes were closed. She tried copying him, but she just couldn't see the appeal.

Her eyes shot open again.

The perfect idea had just come to her. Sitting up a little straighter, she turned to the boy and held out a hand. “We should be friends!”

He peeked open an eye and glanced down.

“You don't even know my name,” he pointed out.

“That's okay!” she reassured him. “You seem nice.” 

He opened both eyes.

After a moment of staring at her hand, he grabbed it.

“Friends it is, then,” he agreed. “I can't remember the last time someone asked me to be friends instead of the other way around. But I'm happy to be your friend.”

EsmerayaRose says...

Hi, I know I'm a little late on this but I recently just read all the chapters. So, I was wondering if you could tag me when you make another chapter of this I really enjoyed reading this!

Mageheart says...

I'd be happy to tag you! I saw you liking the chapters in my notifs this morning and got really excited when you got closer to chapter four. <3

The Story So Far:

Honestly this is the most helpful thing. I think I've said it before but I love when I don't have to go back and reread all the previous chapters to remember what's happened (obviously that's not a problem seeing as I've just come from chapter three but I appreciate the intention <3)

Her parents were over by the crypt. She was comforted by the low hums of their voices in the distance, even when their words were drowned out by the people gathered before her.

This is interesting, because her parents could easily be dead or alive just from these sentences.

Their clothes looked funny compared to what the girl and her parents were wearing, but she didn't mind.

This now makes chapter three makes sense!

This confused me for a moment because I assumed they were talking about the girl, or was she in the conversation about the weather?

Ok so my assumption is this is Van and Rose when they were little but I didn't know Rose could see ghosts so I'm not 100% convinced...
This is a very sweet interaction between them, although if you're going to write them as children very often I think you might want to be careful of falling into the trap of making it too sweet. I often read stories that have these angelic children in who say very profound things and are incredibly articulate despite their age - I think the perils of having an adult write as a child xD that doesn't come across too much here, but just a bit of a watch out for later chapters if this comes up again.

I don't actually have much more to say here, although I would have liked to see maybe a little more ghostly interaction with both of them at once. That's definitely not a necessity though :)

Looking forward to the next part!

Icy

Mageheart says...

Your comment on an earlier chapter actually inspired me to do that, so I'm glad that it helped you! :)

I didn't think of it that way when I was first writing this chapter, but that's such a cool way of looking at it!

Sweet! I'll definitely have to include a ghost a little earlier on, too, but I'm glad these ghosts could help. <3

(Also, fun fact: Ruth, Terry and John were all supposed to show up in the prologue when it was originally told from Van's POV, but their presencen then didn't really affect the rest of the story. When I realized I needed to expand on this scene a little more in this draft, I decided to throw them into it.)

She was in the conversation! I'll have to actually write some of the conversation so it's clearer that she's involved in it. c:

My lips are sealed. ;)

Thanks for the heads up! I'm not planning on writing too many scenes of them as children, but I'll definitely keep that in mind when I do. :)

I don't actually have much more to say here, although I would have liked to see maybe a little more ghostly interaction with both of them at once. That's definitely not a necessity though

I'm always down for writing more ghosts. :)

Thank you for your review! I hope you enjoy the next chapter - whenever I finally get around to posting it. :P

Hi Magebird,

I'm glad to finally be able to read the sequel. :D

Let's start with your recap. I found it very practical how you summarised the story in a few words. It was enough to let you go through everything that has happened so far.

You keep using your style and have this peculiar, great and very interesting way of describing things. Especially the introduction with the young girl I think is absolutely wonderful in many ways. First you give a rough overview with the first sentence and with the next paragraph you move like a spiral around the girl and you tell what you see around her until you finally get to the girl herself.

To her, graves were just like little empty houses. Their occupants were never home, but they never minded the visitors.

I find that such a sweet description, really fitting for a young child when she sees a graveyard. :D But also from a philosophical context I find it a very exciting explanation. In general, I think you manage to portray the little girl with excellent style. Her curiosity is well described as well as the comment about the tooth fairy and not yet understanding the value of money. This gives the whole chapter a great atmosphere. But you also did a great job with her language.

She liked how formal John looked in his uniform, even when one of his sleeves hung loose and empty at his side. She loved how Ruth's dress clung to her body but seemed so fancy. And she loved the pretty tie-dye shirt that Terry always had on.

With the number of characters, I think you've done a very good job of giving them the most important attributes there are without bogging down the plot. I think you've linked it well with the possibility of the girl noticing that they have funny clothes.

Which was silly - everyone knew what candy bars were

I think with this sentence you managed to make me read a little too much between the lines and assume that the boy comes from a poor background or is raised badly by his parents, if at all, and therefore has never been this close to a candy bar, let alone held one in his hands.(Also, he is later described as unwinding the wrapper as carefully as possible and would even go so far as to say he will keep the paper). He doesn't seem to meet friendly people that often. It immediately gives the boy a much sadder background. Great that he shares the bar though.

You've made a very great connection between the girl and the boy and I also really like how you describe it from a child's point of view - innocent, simple and yet filled with that emotion that you can only feel as a child. Especially the moment when the chocolate was shared and she sat down with him brought me a lot of joy, because it is so easy to make friends.

If Temp had known a little bit more about the world, she would have realized that he was only confused by the kindness of the offer.

Is this the same Temp as the mannequin that accompanies Van and Theo? Am I barking up the wrong tree when I say that we now learn a little more about Temp's origins and past? And how it came to be, how Temp became the way he was described in the last chapters?:D
I'm just a bit confused with the sentence, as I assume the "she" refers to "Temp". If that's the case, I think you did a fantastic job of building on this with the little descriptions in the previous chapters where Temp was portrayed as childlike. Now I hope I didn't read too much into it.

In conclusion, I can say that it was a great chapter.A very strong chapter I would even say, that continues to have this kind of dreaminess that I have already read in the last chapters and like very much.

Enjoy the rest of the writing!

Mailice.

Mageheart says...

Thank you for your review! I didn't mean to put Temp's name there, but I must have missed it before posting the chapter. ^^" Thanks for pointing that out!

Also, thank you for your compliment on my writing style! I wanted to show the difference between this section and Van's usual narration, so I'm glad it came across.

Thank you again for your review!

Always do what you are afraid to do.
— E. Lockhart, We Were Liars