1st 3rd person stroy

by Mage_Banks

This excerpt was written by my gf! I told her she couldn't & I believe she did it! What do you guys think?

Concentrate & relax. Those words were whispering in my mind. Mallor quickly moved his hands over the loom. He paused and wiped sweat from his brow and moved his string black hair out of his face.

"Only five more and I can go." he muttered. Mallor took a deep breath and started again. Pale dainty hands moved fast, strings of lights comeing forth and positioning themselves on the loom. They blazed brightly, erratic in their loom movements "Be still!" he yelled. The light stream ceased and dimmed a bit. Ah, he forget must be gentle to the light or they would disappear. He closed his eyes and bought his hands over his head; chanting:

Moonlight; Sunlight; bring it forth with all your might!

A sun shaped gem shone and shook and the light streams blazed brighter than ever! "Yes!" Mallor exclaimed. The light shaped itself into five beautiful woven bracelets. Satisfied Mallor gathered them and hid them in his cloak and rushed out of his work room.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:55 am
Ryanx wrote a review...

This story is confusing, but interesting. Maybe you could change the wording around a bit or give us more description. Who is Mallor? What are these gems? Will he use them for good or evil? This is really short too. With more effort you could have a short story down.

Keep on writing
-Ryanx

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:59 am
Antigone Cadmus wrote a review...

Hey, Mage. Antigone, here as requested.
Well, it looks as though all of the nitpicks have already been taken, so I will do an overall, yes?
First of all, tell your girlfriend to get a YWS account and post her own work. :] We always love new members!
But! on with the critique and such...

I did not particuarly like this, sorry. It's a bit short to get an actual feel for the writing, but I still feel this could be greatly improved. What kills this is a total lack of character description and a vagueness in the writing. So, this guy is working. But why should I care?
That's kind of the fundamental question you should answer when introducing a character:
Why should I care about them?
Don't just tell me he's frustrated, show me that he is, through his thoughts, through his feelings...

Some of the grammar in here was a little sketchy as well. There were sentences in here where I had absolutely no idea what you were trying to say. Review your knowlege of commas and such, because you don't use them where you should. Also, remember to keep your tenses consistent -- you flit between past and present tense.

Happy editing,
Antigone

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:03 pm
Lena.Wooldridge wrote a review...

Concentrate & relax

This should be italicized and the & should be replaced with an "and".

Those words were whispering in my mind.

If you are writing in 3rd person, the "my" should be his, assuming you're talking about Mallor, who I'm assuming is the MC, and the person you are referring to.

Mallor quickly moved his hands over the loom. He paused and wiped sweat from his brow and moved his string black hair out of his face.

I think you should put the part where he adjusts his hair first, because that just seems like a more believable order of events.

"Only five more and I can go." he muttered.

The period after "go" should be a comma.

Pale dainty hands moved fast, strings of lights comeing forth and positioning themselves on the loom.

Their should be a comma between pale and dainty. Also, you might want to let the ready know that they are his. I know that seems silly, but I was actually confused. Haha.

Then, you should say "and strings of light came forth, positioning themselves on the loom". I like it better (:
They blazed brightly, erratic in their loom movements

I don't know exactly what loom movements are, but I love the word erratic!
Ah, he forget must be gentle to the light or they would disappear.

It should be "he'd forgotten" instead of "he forget".

He closed his eyes and bought his hands over his head; chanting:

None of those semi-colons need to be there. Instead, use a comma for all of them. And take out the "it" and the "with", it'd sound more intense without them.

A sun shaped gem shone and shook and the light streams blazed brighter than ever!

Sun-shaped. You should also say that it appeared, shining, and the light streams...

"Yes!" Mallor exclaimed.

He isn't actually explaining anything, is he? I'd use a different word.

Satisfied Mallor gathered them and hid them in his cloak and rushed out of his work room.

There should be a comma after 'satisfied'. I'd remove the 'and' between 'them' and 'hid', and replace it with a comma.

Overall, it was very well-written and interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing where you guys go with this.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:49 pm
JustDance wrote a review...

Concentrate & relax

Do not use "&". It's not the proper way to write, say "and".

comeing

This needs to be changed, you spelled it wrong. The correct word is: coming.

Okay overall, it was confusing. I think it has potential, but you need to clear a few things up. What does the light represent? What is this Mallor character like? I honestly did not find any sort of personality in him, and all I could conclude from this story was that he was possibly a person who believed in black magic, or something of that sort.
Add more! Writing is all about details.
Good luck!
-JD

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx