z

Young Writers Society



Sparrowhawk Soar (War For Capture) Revised & Rewritten

by Maddy


Thanks to the wonderful advice from the talented reviewers here on YWS, I have revised a section of my chapter in my novel and I would now like to see what you think of it. Of course, I believe this novel i'm writing belongs in a realistic fantasy fiction, but that isn't really a genre, so I'm putting it in this forum.

Just some prior knowledge so you don't get confused about the tone of some characters:

Casinotto used to be Talia's friend.

Lynn is Justin's adoptive mother.

"Dark Flyers" is a noun. Dark is NOT, I repeat, NOT, a describing word.

Now read and enjoy!

The comforting voice in Talia’s mind did little to assure her everything was fine. Everything wasn’t fine. In fact, it was very far from it.

The night sky lit up by the torches the flyers were using to spot for the incoming dark ones. They waited silently, eyes alert, faces contorted in concentration. Talia instinctively fiddled with her fingers. Suspense was killing her.

A loud beacon noise, something like the sound from an old car horn, broke the haunting silence. Looking up, she saw the Dark Flyers approaching with alarming speed.

“They’re coming!” She yelled out, although it wasn’t needed. Her army was already scrambling about, most shifting into their winged forms, the few others who weren’t born flyers loading the artillery.

“All the flyers, listen up!” commanded Price, his voice stern. The battle had surfaced an aggression unlike Talia had ever seen in him before.

“Does everyone remember the plan?” he asked. Most of the flyers nodded, but some looked a little dazed. Price saw this, so he decided to explain once again.

“On the count of three, I want everyone to take to the air. When I yell out ‘fire’, form the circle and make way for the gunshots. As soon as the first round has been fired, we charge. Is that clear?”

There was a simultaneous bobbing of heads.

“Good.” He finished up his speech and turned to Talia and Justin, lowering his tone.

“Now, I need you teenagers to scram. I don’t want to run the risk of you,” he pointed a worn finger at Talia, “getting captured.”

“But…”she began.

“No, Talia. Don’t argue. You know they’re only after you,” he said with some form of a heartfelt, caring tone bordering his voice. Talia dropped her squabble and simply nodded.

“Justin, please look after her for me, ok? Make sure she doesn’t run into trouble.”

“I will, sir.”

“Now go, hurry,” said Price as he ran towards his awaiting army.

Talia felt herself being spun round. Justin’s yanked her arm and pulled her away without so much as a whisper escaping his lips. He broke into a fast jog and Talia tried to keep up, her tanned legs struggling. Her ears recognised Price’s signal and, overcome with curiosity, she broke free of Justin’s arms and turned to see the terrible scene developing.

The first exploding roar of gunfire was thunderously loud. She could barely hear people shouting, so she desperately wondered how impossible it must be for the poor souls to even think, let alone yell. The night sky, once only littered with torch lights, was now swarming with flyers of either side. She saw some of them fall down. That must be a 20m drop! , she thought pathetically. Oh dear god, I hope those fallen are the enemy.

Talia tore her saddened eyes away from the horrible setting. She just couldn’t bear to look at it any longer, and already her head was conjuring up a killing headache. Using the opportunity, Justin seized her hand and pulled her away. Tears were swelling up in her eyes. The thought of people possibly dying for her, losing their life in her name was making her heart break into two shrivelled pieces.

She was being dragged further deep in the mountainous forest, which increasingly became harder to see even with her eagle-eye vision. Several times did Talia stumbled over snapped branches and jagged rocks. They tore at her legs like clinging beggars. The tears were pouring down harder, but Talia refused to wail out in pain.

“Hey, Talia, don't worry. We're almost out of range. Not much longer to go, and then we can transform and get the hell out of here.” Coaxed Justin. For a second there, Talia felt a stab of annoyance. He was treating her like a little girl.

“It’s all my fault. People could die because of me! How can I not be worried?”

“They’re going to be okay. We just have to concentrate on getting somewhere safe.”

Talia rejected this idea entirely. There was no way anyone back there was going to be okay! Hands on her hips, she stopped walking.

“I want to go back and help: I feel stupid running away.”

“You can’t, Talia!” he said, “Not only are you not prepared for battle, but the war will be for nothing! Cassinotto and my mother are on the hunt for both of us! If we go back, we’ve surrended ourselves in! Don’t you see?”

“Good!” She yelled, giving him a glare. “I don’t want anymore people hurt because of me!”

There was a brief moment’s pause in which the pair of them heard distant gunshots.

“I don’t want that either,” he muttered, “come on.” And despite Talia’s feeble protests, he continued to head into the heart of the forest.

There was a sudden rustle through the trees. An abnormal breeze caught Talia’s hair and whipped it around her face. Justin, totally oblivious, kept walking.

“Wait!” Talia breathed. Her eyes darted, looking for the culprit of the disruption.

Justin turned to face her, his expression upset.

“Look, Talia, please don’t start complaining, I…”

“Wait!” she hissed again, louder. There was silence, until…

“It’s them, yes!” shouted out a familiar, nasally voice. Out of the bushes jumped out three muscular Dark Flyers, their enormous wings outstretched. Talia tried to transform, but as quick as a flash one of the men had pinned her arms behind her back. She craned her neck to see the same fate occur to Justin, but with the other couple of flyers. They had a little trouble trying to hold him down.

“I’m so, so glad I caught you two pathetic nuisances.” Talia’s heart sank to the ground. She stopped struggling. Justin did the opposite and thrashed his limbs more wildly.

Two female Dark Flyers emerged from the trees, both with a torch in one hand, to face the captive teenagers.

Lynn and Cassinotto both broke out into a taunting smirk. The realisation sunk in the pit of Talia’s stomach: they didn’t escape in time. Captured. With trembling lips she yelled “Let us go!” But even as she said it she knew the feeble attempt would have no effect whatsoever. She glared at her old friend, and was shocked. Talia could see the horrible effects of the ritual on Cassie.

Her face was like a disturbing memory; it wouldn’t stop gluing itself to the front of your brain, even on the best of days. The features of this poor, twisted female had been scarred and matured so badly it would be inappropriate now to call her young and innocent. Sweat and grime dripped from her deformed head down to her neck. Her normally layered, flicked auburn hair was now a feral lion’s mane of tangled fuzz. Her eyes bulged in her sockets and her cheeks were ghostly hollowed. When she grinned, her facial features strained under the pressure.

Talia felt as though her heart was stabbed by the sharpest sword in existence.

How could Cassie let herself become like this? Nothing made any sense anymore.

Justin’s mother, however, looked perfectly…perfect. Nothing about her figure suggested she was capable of terrible deeds, apart from her coal-coloured clothing. And her heavily makeup eyes, the pupils showing a deep violet colour.

Talia noticed Justin and his furious eyes locked onto his sinister mother’s smile. Only it wasn’t those smiles that compulsed you into smiling, too. Oh, only Talia wished. No, it was a smile that was so evil that it compulsed you into vomiting your guts out all over Lynn’s shabby, black boots. She stopped herself just in time.

“So you’re the wrench who’s been putting ideas in my son’s head,” she coarsed, pointing a finger at Talia’s shoulder. She gulped and jutted her chin, avoiding her cold gaze. It would have been a very comical moment if it weren’t for the fear swelling up in her chest.

“Don’t you touch her!” growled Justin. It earned him a kick in the shins from Cassinotto.

“Trying to stick up for your girlfriend, are we? Trying to be the wittle hero?” Cassie chuckled. Lynn’s eyes didn’t swerve from Talia’s face. She seemed strangely curious.

“Bet you liked that, didn’t you? My little man defending you?” she spat at Talia in an undertone, poking and prodding at her nose and hair.

“Don’t you spit at her, I’ll…”

“Pretty smart with the words today, are we my little man?” She retorted, finally lifting her attention from Talia to Justin. She clicked her phalanges and the muscular flyers holding Justin released him. He fell to the ground with a thump.

“Think someone might want to be mesmerised?”

What? Thought Talia. Did I hear her right? What is this crazy woman on about? She assumed Justin must’ve been just as confused by the expression he was wearing, but she was very wrong.

“Mesmerising doesn’t work when the victim is blood-related,” Justin said a hint of amusement in his voice. He was trying to recover from his fall.

“Who said I was going to use it on you ?” mused Lynn, and Talia’s suddenly felt sick. Me? Was she going to use it on me?

At once a high-pitched wailing crammed Talia’s mind and ears with an infectious sound unlike anything ever know to the teen. It contaminated every inch of her body with a noise so irritating it became impossible for her focus on anything else. What the hell is happening? she wondered frantically. A purple glow flashed from the corner of her eye and caught her attention, but it disappeared as quickly as it came.

…Listen up, you…

Was it inside her head? It seemed to halt the wailing when it spoke.

…Walk towards those bulky men, and be snappy…

And Talia thought her life couldn’t get any weirder. She searched for Justin amongst the shadows of the night. She wondered why he wasn’t escaping, or, at least, selfish she try to think it, rescue her. And what was that bizarre look on his face… was he grinning? She lost sight of everything as a grey, pixely mess swarmed her eyes, so she closed them.

…That’s an order!...

No. Who’s saying that? I’m not listening!

This time when it spoke it wasn’t in her head, but rather someone that seemed to be hovering in front of her. She opened her eyes a let out a small gasp. Lynn was intensely focused on her, invading her personal bubble, eyes glowing.

“Argh! It’s not working!” screeched Lynn, accompanied by a dirty word.

A loud THUUD of two heads, a splitting crack of somebody transforming. Talia, now distracted, saw Justin deliver a powerful swing of the wing to Cassie, screaming as the force lifted her into the air and slammed her into a tree several feet away. He was, at long last, doing something!

“Change, Talia, change!” shouted Justin.

Talia did exactly as she was told. A familiar rush of adrenalin, the feeling of being completely weightless. Her wings sprouted from her spine and she flew up a few metres in the air. As she did so, her feathers accidently brushed against Lynn’s cheek. As a child suddenly awoken from a daydream, Lynn snapped back into reality.

“Get back down here, you stupid girl!”

“You are never going to touch her again!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
553 Reviews


Points: 58538
Reviews: 553

Donate
Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:00 pm
MiaParamore wrote a review...



“Now, I need you teenagers to scram. I don’t want to run the risk of you,” he pointed a worn finger at Talia, “getting captured.”

Just change this and your story is fine. Can you PM me the thing before this? Please. As I didn't know the previous story I had some trouble.




User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 23443
Reviews: 193

Donate
Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:43 am
Lydia1995 says...



Glad I helped Maddy :D
GOod Luck with your editing, PM me if you decide to post it up and I'll review it for you.




User avatar
436 Reviews


Points: 83309
Reviews: 436

Donate
Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:12 pm
AquaMarine wrote a review...



Hey there, Maddy! Sorry this is a little late.

Ok, so I still think that some of your dialogue grammar is off. Lydia explained it to you before, so you shouldn't have any trouble proofreading it, right?

Also, on the subject of dialogue, there was something else that really bothered me. You use 'said' relatively few times in this chapter, (as in: "Hey!" Justin said.) However, the words you use instead are varied, but lots of the time just don't make sense, or just seemed a little too strange.

"So you’re the wrench who’s been putting ideas in my son’s head,” she coarsed


Er, according to my spell-check, 'coarsed' isn't actually a work. But, even then, you seem to be trying too hard to vary these words. Sometimes it's better if you just let the dialogue do it for you. It can be a bit disorientating if the story goes like: she screeched, he cursed, she breathed, he yelled, she hissed, he mused.

My next point is a relatively small one, but it bugged me.

It's this:

He broke into a fast jog and Talia tried to keep up, her tanned legs struggling.


Specifically, the word in bold. I'm just ... not sure what good it does there. Why on earth would her having tanned legs have anything to do with how she struggled to run? I mean sure, if they were short legs, or hurt in some way ... but tanned? Is that a way of describing your character? Because, well, it's weird.

Another thing is that, at the moment, I don't really feel anything for your protagonist, Talia. At the moment she seems like a girl who is too young for her years letting all the other people fight and die for her, but who seemingly manages to throw off a mesmerising curse. As Karsten said, that throws my mind back to Harry Potter. But also, it is just too 'perfect' that this untrained and rather (at the moment) immature girl is able to do something that is obviously out of the norm. Rather too serendipitous, don't you think?

Oh, and when you're describing characters, take care not to be too cliché. At the moment, both your antagonists encompass the two most overused descriptions for villains: the extremely ugly, and the extremely beautiful. Why not go for average once in a while?

Well, that's all I have for now! Good luck with this piece; with some work, you can definitely make something of it!

~Amy




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 5950
Reviews: 75

Donate
Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 am
Maddy says...



Lydia: I can't believe i've never noticed that before. I've never been taught that grammar rule (obviously) and I thought my dialogue was fine. By you pointing it out to me, I see clearly now that I was wrong. I cannot thank you enough, both you and Karsten. I'm going to now go over the work properly and fix up the mixtakes. :)




User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 23443
Reviews: 193

Donate
Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm
Lydia1995 wrote a review...



Hello Maddy I am here as requested, sorry that it took so long.

Firstly can I just say that I can see where Karsten is coming from, at times Talia does sound and act like a little child which does lead to confusion.

I struggled to read this because your grammar wasn't really up to scratch. The mistakes made it seem as though you hadn't proof-read your work.

Here are a few rules of grammar to help you if you get stuck:

“Now go, hurry.” Said Price as he ran towards his awaiting army.


In this sentence there should be a comma after 'hurry' and a lower case letter s on the word 'said'. The reason for this is that the sentence continues outside the speech marks. 'Said Price as he ran towards his awaiting army.' This is not a sentence on its own, it needs the speech before it for it to make sense.

The first exploding roar of gunfire was so thunderously loud. She could barely hear people shouting, so she desperately wondered how impossible it must be for the poor souls to even think, let alone yell.


The first sentence here doesn't make sense on its own. If you cut away the 'so' then it would but adding in the so implies that there will be something else after it. Let me show you the rules of when to use commas and when not to use them.

I walked down the street.
I walked down the street and tripped.
I tripped, as I walked down the street.

The first sentence doesn't need a comma because it make sense on its own. The second sentence makes sense with a connective. The third sentence can be separated into two clauses which don't make sense on their own, this is why we use a comma.

The reason I am pointing this out to you is so that you can make your writing flow a little better because sometimes your sentences got choppy and with a little re-wording you could add commas in to make them flow. :D (I do not mean to offend by pointing this out, I only hope to help you. I had a refresher lesson on this not that long ago and it was well needed.)

I agree with Karsten in that I didn't understand what you were trying to say at times and this got a little confusing.

I get the impression that this story will be quite good, you just need to work on your grammar. Your characters will be strong provided you edit the speech of Talia a little so that she doesn't seem like a little girl. Don't give up! It takes time to get to know your characters and to improve your grammar. I have only been on this site a couple of months and already my grammar and overall writing have greatly improved. :D


Overall Well Done!
Good Luck with future chapters,
Keep Writing
~Lydia




Random avatar

Points: 12900
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:08 pm
Karsten says...



Maddy wrote:I didn't want Talia to come across as a little child, but rather a upset teen. But thanks for pointing this out, now I have more things to work on.


That's interesting, Maddy. Now that I reread, I see that I missed the early line about "you teenagers". I think I concluded Talia was a much younger child primarily because of her interaction with Price and Justin. Price (much like a parent) tells Justin to take care of her (much like an older brother). Justin drags her away by the hand as if she's a small child who needs her hand held. That's where I got the strong impression that Talia was very young. I think if Justin wasn't holding her hand, I might not have got that impression. Hope this helps.




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 5750
Reviews: 76

Donate
Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:46 pm
KitxKat says...



It was interesting.
'Justin's yanked her arm' i think should be 'Justin yanked her arm.

I'd say, slow down a little bit more. Use the senses. Become the character.




User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 5950
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 pm
Maddy says...



Hmm, thanks for your advice Karsten. Honestly, I didn't do as much proofreading as I would've of liked before posting it on here.

I didn't want Talia to come across as a little child, but rather a upset teen. But thanks for pointing this out, now I have more things to work on.

Now that i think about it, it DOES sound like HP! Oh no, I never intended it to sound like that!

And the other bad guy doesn't look ugly, so I'll try to mention that in the piece.




Random avatar

Points: 12900
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:06 am
Karsten wrote a review...



Hi Maddy,

I'm afraid I had difficulty with this piece. My primary problem was with the writing. The grammar is poor, suggesting a lack of proofreading. Misused words are creating bizarre images: what's killing Talia isn't the traditional "suspense", but rather "suspension", making me think that she is actually a car with mechanical suspension; Justin's arms "groped" her shoulders, making me wonder if Justin should be arrested for statutory rape; Cassie has one singular "eye" that apparently bulges in both her "sockets"; and so on. I often struggled to figure out exactly what you meant to say.

Quick roundup of other issues I had:

1. The bad guys being hideously ugly taps into an unfortunate association of beauty with goodness and ugliness with evil. It's also a cliche.

2. Talia throwing off mesmerisation seems extremely reminiscent of Harry Potter throwing off Imperio, right down to the voice both of them hear.

3. I can't understand why the Lynn and Cassie characters keep sexualising the protagonist, calling her a "slut", "slutty", asking if she's Justin's "girlfriend", etc. Talia comes across as extremely young, like eight or nine years old kind of young, and so these comments are incredibly creepy and inappropriate. Why would they even think of such a young child in this way? Are they paedophiles as well as being ugly, grimy and evil?

4. By the time the enemy shows up, it's too late to make battle plans. The flyers should have hammered out their tactics beforehand and probably rehearsed them as well.

5. Shattered eardrums is a condition that makes you deaf and lasts weeks to months to years. If Talia's eardrums are shattered, it's impossible for her to have a conversation with Justin or anyone else. You might want to tone down the level of injury she receives.

Hope this helps, Maddy.

Cheers,
Karsten





Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci