z

Young Writers Society



No. 11

by MUCHO


Deleted.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 2997
Reviews: 26

Donate
Sat May 14, 2011 3:57 am
night owl wrote a review...



This was a little unexpected. When I clicked on it, I didn't know what to expect and I certainly was surprised. It's great, but to me, you're walking the fine line between just the right amount of complicated and too complicated. You're very fond of figurative language and you almost approach a Ken Kesey-esque style in your frequent digressions to expand on the descriptions. In some places, it worked and it was brilliant, but in some places, it just seemed forced. You could probably distinguish between the places where you really felt that the metaphor or simile got your point across more completely versus where you just included it for the sake of including it.

This next critique is based on the fact that you said this was part of a novel. I actually want to go into editing someday, so this was great practice; thank you! That being said, I feel like you're trying to hard to use extensive vocabulary. I'm somebody who also naturally tends towards elevated diction, but sometimes, simple is better, especially when you've already just such complicated content. I feel like you could come across as pretentious even though I don't think you're trying to be. Even if you don't seem pretentious, however, I still think that you could possibly lose some of your readers using that kind of language.

I don't know how caught up you are over proper grammar, but with the language you're currently using, I wouldn't recommend writing fragments. It works for some authors, but it's awkward in your sophisticated style.

I want to reiterate that I think you've done a great job and I think the general issue I found was simply synthesizing all the aspects of your style. Keep writing and I'm sure you'll have great success. Hope this helps!




User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 4346
Reviews: 71

Donate
Mon May 09, 2011 8:37 pm
Gheala wrote a review...



A tortured girl wastes in the back seat of her father’s Cadillac.

That confused me. A tortured girl wastes what? I don't know if I'm not paying much attention here.

As stoic and apathetic as the gloomy sky on the outside; as pressurized and boiling as the summer sun on the inside.

I think you need to complete that sentence with another thought. Is it completing the previous phrase? It's as though I'm saying: "Like my father taught me to do." My father taught me to do what? It's the same thing with your sentence. Do you know what I mean? If not, feel free to ask me!

Needing only the keys forthwith in possession of the authorities. She can see their dull-shine a short distance away dangling back and forth from the belt of her jailors, strategically placed next to the pistol that could end her and set her free faster than any makeshift shiv.

-Jailers, instead of Jailors.
-Try to make that sentence shorter. It lost me my concentration.

…she takes a swipe as the lines pass by.

I'm not sure if there is a need for those three periods in the beginning. I don't think they serve a purpose. What do you think?

As the car lumbered past a fresh and pure piece of bird waste splattered across the sign; Bonnie stared with envy as the creature merged with the ashen sky and vanished.

#008000 ">So far, THIS is my favourite line! Poor Bonnie, she's even envying birds! I loved it.

Yet her soul had always been ready.

Hm.. I'm not sure what you meant by that. Her heart isn't ready, but her soul is. If you wish, you could clarify that.

“Tock…smack…tick…smock…tack…smick…”

“Johnny Clayton, you stop that ‘bnoxious smackin’ on that gum ‘fore I rip ‘chour young tongue out chour purty lurttle mouth and smack you upside chour purty lurttle head!”

Wow, your writing style changes from the descriptive paragraphs to the dialogues. I like that- it adds a flavor and an independent voice to your characters.

*****************
I have to say, this is the best piece I have read today. Your writing style is very sophisticated and unique, but in the same time easily understood. You do remind me of the classics I love and never am bored to read.

There are novels that stand on events and dialogues, while yours obviously depend on nicely chosen words and calm descriptions. I like that sort of novels, because it doesn't seem crowded and it won't give me a headache if I read it for a long time.

I only have one remark.
It's just me, but I wasn't comfortable with the overly described physique of Bonnie. You described the breasts, the stomach and it somehow seemed unnecessary. I don't know, but I honestly didn't feel comfortable reading that specific line.

I did like this a lot. Keep writing and good luck!




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:14 am
EmilyofREL wrote a review...



Wow. Great start. I like how you already try in the music thing by comparing the gum chewing to a symphony...there was another music mention in there...Sorry I don't remember what it was. I could see all the characters and hear their voices, the dialect is really great. I'm new around here, would you mind checking out my story water under the bridge? thanks! Keep up the amazing start. You're very talented, I can't wait to read more





Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
— Sir James Dewar, Scientist