z

Young Writers Society



Heir of the Moonlight chapter 2

by Atticus


Thomas awoke in a thick forest, surrounded on all sides by thick-trunked trees and different animals. He could see a path far to his left, and heard the sound of a nearby brook. It was a peaceful environment that might have been very enjoyable and relaxing under different circumstances, but Thomas felt only panic.

How had he gotten here? What was going on? Was this a dream? No, it couldn't be; it was all so vivid and alive. Most of his dreams weren't even in color, and these colors seemed to be abnormally bright, like he had been wearing sunglasses all his life and had just now taken them off for the first time and was experiencing the real color of the world.

Looking around, he saw no one. He wandered towards the road and started to walk along it, resolving to go as far as he could until he found some sort of civilization. He hadn't been asleep that long, he reasoned. He couldn't have gone far, but he didn't know which states had thick forests.

He started to become more concerned. What if he had been kidnapped? Had his parents taken him here? He had no idea what was going on, and he had never been in these woods before. There weren't very many woods in Iowa to begin with, and how had he not woken up when someone had to strap him into a car or an airplane?

As soon as he stepped onto the road, he heard some heavy footsteps approaching. Fearing it was his kidnappers, he decided to hide so they couldn't take him farther away from home. He scanned the area frantically for any suitable hiding place, and eventually settled on a bush a few yards away from the road. He dove in, headfirst, and pulled the rest of his body in until he was completely enclosed by the prickly green branches.

As the footsteps drew nearer, Thomas' curiosity got the better of him, and he peeked out above the bush. He then saw what could only be described as an army drawing closer to him.

They were walking in a strange formation, 4 men wide and lines going back as far as Thomas could see. They were all wearing white uniforms with a yellow crescent on the right breast and sailor-like cap, and all marched in a hypnotizing, perfect rhythm. That was strange. Thomas didn't know of any armies nearby that had that uniform. Maybe they would help him. They were the government, after all, and they certainly looked official.

Thomas crawled out of the bush and approached one of the soldiers. The second he moved, a dozen of them swiveled and drew their guns, pointing them at Thomas. Thomas raised his hands in surrender and gulped nervously.

"I.. I mean no harm," he stammered.

"Halt! Who are you?" one of them shouted, shoving the other soldiers out of the way as he walked towards Thomas. Judging by the way he carried himself and the badge on his uniform, Thomas assumed he was some sort of commander.

"I am Thomas Murphy, from Iowa, and I mean no harm, I mean no harm," Thomas repeated.

"Iowa? What strange land is that? It is not familiar to me," the soldier answered.

"What do you mean?" Thomas was incredibly confused. How did this man not know what Iowa was?

“It's in the United States,” Thomas offered. Doing quick calculations in his head, he resolved that he could possibly be in a different country, where they might only know the United States and not each individual state.

"Listen, boy, if you are a thief, you can be honest with me, and we will spare you. If you cannot answer even this basic question honestly, what is to show that you will answer my other questions honestly? That gives me enough reason to shoot you right now." The man leveled his gun at Thomas.

"What seems to be the holdup here, Lieutenant Aplex?" another voice called. A tall man walked between the ranks, and even the Lieutenant faltered in his presence.

"Nothing, General. We have come across a scoundrel hiding in the bushes, most likely planning an attack on our army. Permission to shoot him?"

"Permission not granted, Lieutenant. Have some patience. Who are you, boy, and where do you come from?"

Thomas grew frustrated. "I am Thomas Murphy, and I come from a land called Iowa."

"Iowa? I am not familiar with that territory." The general furrowed his brow in confusion.

"See what I mean, General? He is clearly a lying scumbag," Lieutenant Aplex cut in.

"Give the poor boy a chance to speak, man," the general snapped. "Do you have any weapons, and where are you headed?" he asked Thomas.

"I am wandering the lands looking for work," Thomas answered. "And no, I am completely unarmed."

"Hmm. Search him all the same, Lieutenant," the general instructed.

Lieutenant Aplex obliged gladly, thoroughly patting Thomas down and even sticking his hand in Thomas' shoes to make sure he wasn't hiding anything. "He's clean, General," Lieutenant Aplex reported.

"Very well, then. You may travel with us, boy, but you will be walking in the middle. If you cannot keep up, you will be left behind. And we will drop you off in the next town we come across and wish you the best of luck. After that, we are not responsible for your safety, is that clear, boy?"

"Yes, General. Thank you." Thomas bowed his head, as he assumed was respectful.

"General, may I have a word in private, please?" Lieutenant Aplex requested, glaring suspiciously at Thomas. Thomas returned the look, trying to convey his refusal to back down while making it clear that he had no violent intentions. Judging by the look on the Lieutenant's face, he had come across as a little too threatening.

"Certainly. Step this way, please." the general led Lieutenant Aplex to a small clearing about 100 yards from the road.

Thomas slipped away from the group and hid behind a tree to listen in on their conversation. He made certain to conceal himself and strained to hear the discussion.

"I just don't believe you're being wise taking this boy with you. He is either not mentally stable and delusional, or a deceptive urchin with some malicious intent. I don't understand why you would risk the safety of your men and the security of this army for some worthless peasant," Lieutenant Aplex protested.

"I understand your concerns, Lieutenant, and I need you to trust that I would not knowingly put the army in any danger unless I judged it worth the cause. This boy is weaponless and clearly incapable of remaining hidden. He has no skills to be a successful assassin or really anything successful. Plus, I know what it's like to have nowhere to turn. It won't hurt us to just drag him with us to Bajilk, then dump him there. Besides, who knows? We could convince him to join our cause, and you know just as well as I do that we need all the fighting hands we can get," the general reasoned.

"As you wish, sir." the Lieutenant bowed his head, and Thomas scurried up the hill back to where the soldiers had been positioned. He thought he had been very sneaky, and was feeling quite proud of himself when the general came up behind him.

"Why were you eavesdropping on our conversation?" he asked casually, as if he was talking about the weather or who won the sports game last night.

Thomas felt his face go red, and heard some of the other soldiers snicker. "I.. I wasn't."

"There's no point in lying, young man from Ee-oh-wah. Why were you eavesdropping?"

"I'm.. sorry. I just wanted to hear what you had to say," Thomas faltered.

"Even though it was no concern of yours?"

"I.. I thought you might be talking about me." Thomas was on the verge of tears, and the general seemed to sense that. Thomas shifted his position, and a ray of sunlight illuminated his face. As Thomas extended his arms to try and shield himself from the blinding light, the general squinted at his face, and then his eyes widened. He placed a hand on Thomas' shoulder and looked him in the eye, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Is something the matter, sir?” Thomas asked.

"Come. There's someone I want you to meet."

Thomas followed obediently, mumbling apologies to the soldiers as he squeezed between them. They all seemed to move out of the way when they saw the general. He possessed a scary power, and Thomas couldn't help but wonder how he had achieved such respect. This type of fearful reverence did not seem like something one earned out of kind deeds, but out of fear of a violent act coming towards them if they did not cooperate.

They finally reached the front, and in the very first row, a group of about 6 men were holding up a tent on poles. The men snapped to attention as the general approached, and stood with their heads held high and shoulders up.

"O King, I have brought someone that I would like you to meet. Permission to enter?" the general called to the tent.

"Permission granted," a raspy voice called back. The general bowed and led Thomas to the front, where a ladder had been thrown down. Thomas climbed up and pushed aside the flap, revealing an old man in royal clothing sitting on an exquisite throne.

"Bow, boy," the general hissed at Thomas. Thomas fell on one knee and bowed his head, like he had seen in the movies. The king chuckled, and Thomas breathed a sigh of relief. He hadn't offended the old man.

"Greetings, Your Majesty. I humbly present to you a straggler we found back there, and something about how he behaved and the way he carries himself reminds me of your son, Jared. I thought perhaps you would want to meet him," the general explained.

"Come forward, boy," the king commanded. Thomas obediently stepped forward, and once he came into the light, the king gasped.

"It is an unbelievable resemblance! This is a miracle! What is your name, boy?"

"Thomas," Thomas replied.

"This is a godsend! You must come back to the palace immediately. The great queen Eamol will want to speak with you and see your face. Tell the men to change the course to head back to the castle immediately," the king ordered.

"But sir-" the general started.

"No buts, General! Any war can wait. We must get him home immediately!" The king thumped his staff on the ground.

“Very well, sir. I shall prepare a cot for him, and you can rest, Thomas, while we go to the castle, assuming that that suits your wishes, O King.”

“Your advice does please me, General. Do everything you have said, and pass the word on to the other men.”

The general bowed and left the tent, leaving Thomas and the king alone in the tent. The two sat in silence, the king closely examining Thomas' face for whatever reason. Thomas had never thought of himself as having any distinguishing features, apart from his slightly bumpy nose and odd freckles. Apparently the king's son had looked like that, too, even though they were from different worlds. This is ridiculous, Thomas thought. Here I am, in a different world where no one has ever heard of Iowa or even the United States, and now a king is taking me to a palace immediately because somehow, someway, I look like his son.”

The general reappeared a remarkably short time later, carrying a stack of bland green blankets. He spread them out on the floor and gestured for Thomas to lie down, and Thomas obliged gratefully. Even though he had just been asleep, he would always take an opportunity to nap. He adjusted the blankets so that he was at the perfefct temperature, then dozed off gratefully.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
364 Reviews


Points: 15630
Reviews: 364

Donate
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:27 pm
zaminami wrote a review...



Hi MJ! Wow, I really enjoy reviewing your works, haha. It's the demon goddess and your supreme ruler here for a (hopefully) quick review!

You know all of that jazz about me changing my review style, right? Yes? No? Either way, it's still good. I have recently crowned myself the Bebas Queen so I'm going to use that font a lot, okay? XD

Anyways.

Grammar:



Again, your grammar is brilliant. In this section I usually just do nitpicks and possible typos for you XD There is no "Other" section because it isn't needed.

Grammar - Mechanics:

I.. I mean no harm


Usually, when there's a stammering situation, the word in question that is stammered is separated by a dash and not several periods. The periods mean a pause in the middle of a sentence or a trail-off, not a stammer. I noticed this several times, but I will not point it out.

O King


"O" is spelled "O'."

perfefct


Mechanics typo :D

Heir of the Moonlight chapter 2


In the title, "chapter" should be capitalized.

Otherwise, you're good!

Grammar - Dialogue:

Step this way, please." the general led Lieutenant Aplex


"the" should be capitalized. It might be a typo, but whenever there's no tag sentence or if it's a proper noun, the first word after dialogue MUST be capitalized. I know, I know, I'm lecturing, and I do know it's most likely a typo, but still. Just a friendly reminder :D

his son.”


You put a quotation mark at the end here but not at the beginning.

Otherwise, you're good!

Plot:



What a welcome surprise from last chapter! This time I definitely was NOT bored. One moment, Thomas was in his bedroom, the next he's in mysterious woods in a different universe? Interesting, and it caught my attention for sure! Good job!

You could have grabbed my attention a bit better than "Thomas awoke in the woods" but otherwise, that's all of my critique for the plot for this chapter! I am very nitpicky about hooks and things like that, so that's probably why, haha.

Setting:



You could have done a bit better describing the woods. I live in a heavily wooded area, so I imagined it to be like that, but it could easily be a forest like in Sequoia National Park, which is a lot different than the woods around here. So you could have put, instead of "some animals," some specific wildlife to give me a clue on what general region he is in, or at least what type of climate if you want to keep his location a secret :wink: Like, if you put that there are monarch butterflies, that ticks me off that he's either in a northern Mexico to southern Canadian type climate and ecosystem, or if you put that it was muggy and there were colorful birds in the trees, that would tell me that he's in an India-type climate/ecosystem.

I love going on about the nature stuff in stories. It just interests me, haha.

Character(s):



Thomas:

Pretty much the same as last time. A well-rounded character, but an ordinary teenager.

However, something confused me. He was taken to a strange man who thought he was his son in rich clothes that claimed to be a king and Thomas just slept there and accepted the fact that, even though he wasn't the prince, that he didn't speak up. I'm sure that he was greatful for the king's hospitality so he didn't want to reveal this just yet, but I would have spoken up if this situation had happened to me.

Lieutenant Aplex:

Aplex is a very stereotypical army commander. This bothered me a little bit, especially since he kind of reminded me of Crystal a little bit. Is Crystal the stereotypical army commander? Crap.

Anyways, I actually found him quite funny. I say keep the stereotypical-ness, since he made me laugh (God, he is just like Crystal) and that I think there should be a FEW stereotypical characters in your story :D

The general:

On the contrary, the general is more laid-back than the Lieutenant. Shouldn't a general be more battle-hardened and yell-y and gruff than the lieutenant? Instead, the general spared Thomas's life and allowed him to see the king immediately, even though Thomas could very well be a thief with an uncanny resemblance to the king's son. Just saying.

The king:

I really doubt that a father would be this subdued when it comes to seeing his son again. This was one of the very few parts that I didn't find believable in this chapter. I would make the king more excited and maybe even a little eccentric so the general won't be surprised the king is acting this way. Take Asgore from Undertale, for instance. When there was a possibility that he would have a child again, he stopped fighting you and decided to adopt you (and then that's when Flowey came it. Bastard.). Asgore was always a bit eccentric and a big fluff-nugget according to the other monsters, so it wouldn't be surprising that he did that.

Just an example :D

PoV:

Same as last chapter. There IS no PoV, so I won't put it.

Otherwise?

No, I don't think any of the characters are worth mentioning. The characters above all have obvious flaws - Thomas's was stated in the previous chapter, the lieutenant is gruff, stubborn, and hard on his soldiers (judging from the fact that they are all whipped into shape), and the general is too laid-back, it seems.

Believability:



I think I covered all of the things that aren't believable already in the Character's section, so there's nothing that I need to put here.

Clarity:



This was very clear to understand what was happening, except for the one part about how Thomas saw a path and then a road (like what whatchamacallit mentioned), which I noticed too, but that's an easy fix. Nice job on that. There are a few works on here that aren't the most clear.

Engagement:



This is where you seem to have the most trouble. You are just telling, not showing. That's the main thing about the chapter. I don't MIND the tell-but-no-show thing, but other readers might, and I'm reviewing this for all readers.

If you include some foreshadowing, like I said in the other review, then I would feel more engaged and need to put more THOUGHT into reading, which is an activity that I extremely enjoy doing. You can easily make it very subtle so only the closest readers would figure it out, and I'm a close reader and I didn't see that. All it takes is one or two words.

Maybe if you "broke the 4th wall," so to speak, once in this chapter, it'll send the reader reeling if they know what that term means (breaking the fourth wall is when the character/narrator says something about the readers). I've read several comments on Tumblr and Wattpad on stories in which characters broke the fourth wall that are like "WOAHHHH DONALD TRUMP COME AND FIX THE WALL" and stuff, so you'll know that the normal readers quite like and are engaged in fourth wall breaking. :D

Overall:



This is a lot better than the last chapter! This has gotten me interested and I can't wait to read what happens to Thomas next, and if he's the "Heir of the Moonlight" or not. Hopefully Chapter Three will be a breeze too, haha.

Give me your soul,

Squire Kara R. Stevens of KotGR.

Image


and

Image




Atticus says...


Thanks for the review! I really appreciate your thoroughness, and I was in a rush for this, so in the future I will keep in mind both changing up the characters and making sure to be careful with my descriptions to show instead of tell. Thank you again!

P.S. I'm heading up to bed now, so I'll respond to your further reviews tomorrow morning.



zaminami says...


:D thanks



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 900
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm
LittleBird8060 wrote a review...



Ok I was going to sleep (it's like 1 AM here) but I'm not sleepy (I screwed up my sleep schedule) so I guess I will write review here

Key:
My comments will be in red
My suggestions to add something will be in green
My suggestions to remove something will have a strikethrough
My random comments that you can ignore or read it and laugh at the stupidity of it

Spoiler! :
Thomas awoke in a thick forest, surrounded on all sides by thick-trunked trees and different animals. He could see a path far to his left, and heard the sound of a nearby brook. It was a peaceful environment that might have been very enjoyable and relaxing under different circumstances, but Thomas felt only panic.

How had he gotten here? What was going on? Was this a dream? No, it couldn't be; it was all so vivid and alive. Most of his dreams weren't even in color, and these colors seemed to be abnormally bright,- it was like he had been wearing sunglasses all his life and had just now taken them off for the first time and was experiencing the real color of the world.

Looking around, hHe saw no signs of anyone after scanning his surroundings. He wandered towards the road and started to walk along it, resolving to go as far as he could until he found some sort of civilization. He hadn't been asleep that long, What if you add quotation marks and italicize this since it sounds like he is thinking to himself? he reasonedtold himself. He couldn't have gone far, but he didn't know which states had thick forests.

He started to become more concerned. What if he had been kidnapped? Had his parents taken him here? He had no idea what was going on, and he had never been in these woods before. There weren't very many woods in Iowa to begin with, and how had he not woken up when someone had to strap him into a car or an airplane?

As soon as he stepped onto the road, Didn't it say he was walking along it two paragraphs above? he heard some heavy footsteps approaching. Fearing it wasthat it may be his possible kidnappers, he decided to hide so they couldn't take him farther away from home. He scanned the area frantically for any suitable hiding place, and eventually settled on a bush a few yards away from the road. He dove in, headfirst, Uhh, I don't think it was necessary to dive into a bush headfirst. Maybe you could change that. and pulled the rest of his body in until he was completely enclosed by the prickly green branches. Ouch!

As the footsteps drew nearer, Thomas' curiosity got the better of him, and he peeked out above the bush. Don't look Thomas! Being curious in a fantasy story never turns out well! He then saw what could only be described as an army drawing closer to him.

They were walking in a strange formation, 4 What about you write out the numbers, like replace "4" with "four"? Just a suggestion. You don't have to do it. men wide and lines going back as far as Thomas could see. They were all wearing white uniforms with a yellow crescent on the right breast and sailor-like cap, and all marched in a hypnotizing, perfect rhythm. That was strange. Thomas didn't know of any armies nearby that had that uniform. Maybe they would help him. They were theseemed to be from a government,. aAfter all, and they certainly looked official.

Thomas crawled out of the bush and approached one of the soldiers. The second he moved, a dozen of them swiveled and drew their guns, all pointing them at Thomas. Thomas raised his hands in surrender and gulped nervously.

"I.. I mean no harm," he stammered.

"Halt! Who are you?" one of them shouted, shoving That's not nice. *pouts* the other soldiers out of the way as he walked towards Thomas. Judging by the way he carried himself and the badge on his uniform, Thomas assumed he was some sort of commander.

"I am Thomas Murphy, from Iowa, and I mean no harm, I mean no harm," Thomas repeated.

"Iowa? What strange land is that? It is not familiar to me," the soldier answered.

"What do you mean?" Thomas was incredibly confused. How did this man not know what Iowa was?

“It's in the United States,” Thomas offered. Doing quick calculations in his head, he resolved that he could possibly be in a different country, where they might only know the United States and not each individual state. Rip Thomas you're stuck in an alternative world.

"Listen, boy, if you are a thief, you can be honest with me, and we will spare you. If you cannot answer even this basicsuch a simple question honestly, what is to show that you will answer my other questions honestly? That gives me enough of a reason to shoot you right now." Wow, that's very strict. The man leveled his gun at Thomas.

"What seems to be the holdup I think there's supposed to be a space between "hold" and "up". here, Lieutenant Aplex?" another voice called. A tall man walked between the ranks, and even the Lieutenant faltered in his presence.

"Nothing, General. We have come across a scoundrel hiding in the bushes, most likely planning an attack on our army. I think they're overreacting. Maybe you could change it to "possibly planning an attack on our army" Permission to shoot him?"

"Permission not granted, Lieutenant. Have some patience. Who are you, boy, and where do you come from?" asked the general

Thomas grew frustrated. "I am Thomas Murphy, and I come from a land called Iowa."

"Iowa? I am not familiar with that territory." The general furrowed his brow in confusion.

"See what I mean, General? He is clearly a lying scumbag," Lieutenant Aplex cut in.

"Give the poor boy a chance to speak, man," the general snapped. "Do you have any weapons, Hah, it's funny he asks since he just orders to search him anyways. and where are you headed?" he asked Thomas.

"I am wandering the lands looking for work," Thomas answered. "And no, I am completely unarmed."

"Hmm. Search him all the same, Lieutenant," the general instructed.

Lieutenant Aplex obliged gladly, thoroughly patting Thomas down and even sticking his hand in Thomas' shoes to make sure he wasn't hiding anything. "He's clean, General," Lieutenant Aplex reported.

"Very well, then. You may travel with us, boy, but you will be walking in the middle. If you cannot keep up, you will be left behind. And You shouldn't start a sentence with "and". (I forgot when but I learned it at some point in school lol) wWe will drop you off in the next town we come across and wish you the best of luck. After that, we are not responsible for your safety,. Iis that clear, boy?"

"Yes, General. Thank you." Thomas bowed his head, as he assumed it was respectful.

"General, may I have a word in private, please?" Lieutenant Aplex requested, glaring suspiciously at Thomas. Thomas returned the look, trying to convey his refusal to back down while making it clear that he had no violent intentions. Judging by the look on the Lieutenant's face, he had come across as a little too threatening.

"Certainly. Step this way, please." the general led Lieutenant Aplex to a small clearing about 100 Replace "100" with "hundred"? yards from the road.

Thomas slipped away from the group and hid behind a tree to listen in on their conversation. He made certain to conceal himself and strained to hear the discussion.

"I just don't believe you're beingit is a wise decision to takeing this boy with you. I just edited this sentence to seem more formal He is either not mentally stable and possibly delusional, or a deceptive urchin with some malicious intent. I don't understand why you would risk the safety of your men and the security of this army for some worthless peasant," Lieutenant Aplex protested.

"I understand your concerns, Lieutenant, and I need you to trust that I would not knowingly put the army in any danger unless I judged it was worth the cause. This boy is weaponless and clearly incapable of remaining hiddenharming us. I just thought remaining hidden part just sounded off so maybe it would be better to say "harming us" He has nodoesn't seem to have enough skills to be an successful assassin or really anything successful. Plus, I know what it's like to have nowhere to turn Did you mean this part as in "nothing to rely on"? I think you need to be a little more clear.. It won'twouldn't hurt us to just drag him with us to Bajilk, then just dump him there. Besides, who knows? WMaybe we could convince him to join our cause, and you know just as well as I do that we need all the fighting hands we can get," the general reasoned.

"As you wish, sir." the Lieutenant bowed his head, and. After the conversation had seemed to have ended, Thomas scurried back up the hill back to where the soldiers had been positioned. He thought he had been very sneakyquite stealthy, and was feeling quite proud of himself whenuntil the general came up behind him. If you say "when", I think it could be mistaken as that he was proud at the time when the general was behind him, which is probably not the case.

"Why were you eavesdropping on our conversation?" he asked casually, as if he was talking about the weather or who won the sports game last night.

Thomas felt his face go red, and heard some of the other soldiers snicker. "I.. I wasn't."

"There's no point in lying, young man from Ee-oh-wah. Why were you eavesdropping?"

"I'm.. sorry. I just wanted to hear what you had to say," Thomas faltered.

"Even though it was no concern of yours?"

"I.. I thought you might be talking about me." Thomas was on the verge of tears, Why would he cry over something so trivial? Or is he supposed to have a fragile personality? and the general seemed to sense that. Thomas shifted his position, and a ray of sunlight illuminated his face. As Thomas extended his arms to try and shield himself from the blinding light, the general squinted at his face, and then his eyes widened. He placed a hand on Thomas' shoulder and looked him in the eye, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Is something the matter, sir?” Thomas asked.

"Come. There's someone I want you to meet."

Thomas followed obediently, mumbling apologies to the soldiers as he squeezed between them. They all seemed to move out of the waycreate a path when they saw the general. He possessed a scary powerseemed to have a powerful aura, and Thomas couldn't help but wonder how he had achieved such respect. This type of fearful reverence did not seem like something one earned out of kind deeds, but out of fear of a violent act coming towards them if they did not cooperate.

They finally reached the front, and in the very first row, a group of about 6 the same annoying reminder about spelling out words men were holding up a tent on polesthe poles supporting the tent. The men snapped into attentionposition Just thought that "attention" didn't make sense. as the general approached, and stood with their heads held high and shoulders upstraight. I just think of it as soldiers having their soldiers straight and perfect, not upwards really.

"O King, I have brought someone that I would like you to meet. Permission to enter?" the general called into the tent.

"Permission granted," a raspy voice called back. The general bowed and led Thomas to the front, where a ladder had been thrown down from above. Thomas climbed up and pushed aside the flap, revealing an old man in royal clothing Maybe you could get more descriptive? Since "royal clothing" can be interpreted in several different ways. sitting on an exquisite throne.

"Bow, boy," the general hissed at Thomas. Thomas fell on one knee and bowed his head, like he had seen in the movies. The king chuckled, and Thomas breathed a sigh of relief. He hadn't offended the old man.

"Greetings, Your Majesty. I humbly present to you a straggler we found back there, and something about how he behaved and the way he carries himself reminds me of your son, Jared. I thought perhaps you would want to meet him," the general explained.

"Come forward, boy," the king commanded. Thomas obediently stepped forward, and once he came into the light, the king gasped.

"It isWhat an unbelievable resemblance! This is a miracle! What is your name, boy?"

"Thomas," Thomas replied.

"This is a godsend! You must come back to the palace immediately. The great queen Eamol will want to speak with you and see your face. Tell the men to change the course to head back to the castle immediately," the king ordered.

"But sir-" the general started.

"No buts, General! Any war can wait. Very wise. Throw away your country for some stranger because he looked like your son. Lol that's actually pretty funny. We must get him home immediately!" The king thumped his staff on the ground.

“Very well, sir. I shall prepare a cot Makes me think he's sick or something hah. for him, and youThomas can rest, Thomas, while we're on our way, go to the castle, assuming that that suits your wishes, O King.”

“Your advice does please me, General. Do everything you have said, and pass the word on to the other men.”

The general bowed and left the tent, leaving Thomas and the king alone in the tent Repeating the same words in one sentence sounds awkward. The two sat in silence, the king closely examining Thomas' face for whatever reason. Thomas had never thought of himself as having any distinguishing features, apart from his slightly bumpy nose and odd freckles. Apparently the king's son had looked like that, too, even though they were from different worlds. This is ridiculous, Thomas thought. Here I am, in a different world where no one has ever heard of Iowa or even the United States, and now a king is taking me to a palace immediately because somehow, someway, I look like his son.”

The general reappeared a remarkably short time later, carrying a stack of bland green blankets. He spread them out on the floor and gestured for Thomas to lie down, and Thomas obliged gratefully. Even though he had just been asleep, he would always take an opportunity to nap. He adjusted the blankets so that he was at the perfefct Spelling! temperature, then dozed off gratefully.


AHHHHH that took me like almost an hour. Oh god 3 mins till maintenance starts. Oh well, hopefully this is helpful. Ugh, the BBC coding is so annoying. Especially if there's something like a miss placed period and I have to type out like, {s},{/s}{color=green}.{/color} or something (I replaced the "[" with "{" so that it doesn't actually change the color or do the strikethrough.)

This was hard and I should sleep. Good luck with ur story!




User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22123
Reviews: 455

Donate
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:42 pm
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Well this is interesting!

Anyways, again, it isn't that long which makes it easy to review.

Continuing onto the real review!

Near the beginning you say he saw a path, and then soon after that he wandered to the road. This is a bit confusing for the reader.
You also didn't describe enough about how Thomas eavesdropped. How did he sneak away from the soldiers without being seen? How did the general notice him? Did a twig crack?

Other than that . . . what was the tent like that the king was in? Again, description. Any good book needs a good plot (which you seem to have) and description.

This is ridiculous, Thomas thought. Here I am, in a different world where no one has ever heard of Iowa or even the United States, and now a king is taking me to a palace immediately because somehow, someway, I look like his son.” << you accidentally put a quote mark there (I don't know the name for them). Also, all his other thoughts aren't italicized.
The only other thing I have to say is the transition from being asleep to being in the forest is really fast. Perhaps he blinked his eyes at the bright light, and when his eyes adjusted he saw the forest and was like, what the heck?!!

Really, though, I love this story so far. Can't wait for chapter 3.

~whatcha




Atticus says...


Thanks for the review Pearl! I copy-pasted this from OpenOffice, so that might explain any glitches with missing italics or little grammatical things that were off. You had some good points, and I'll be sure to keep that in mind for future writing and editing sessions :)

Have a nice day!



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 900
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:33 pm
View Likes
LittleBird8060 says...



Wow that was an unexpected turn from the first chapter. I like it! I wonder how this story will twist and turn.





“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell