Shipwreck

by M.B.Author

Crit welcome! Enjoy.

_________________

Many ships had been coming from Ireland bringing destitute families and orphans who were fleeing the potato famine. Often the ships were ill equipped and unfit for the journey, but their passengers’ empty stomachs caused them to take risks they wouldn’t ordinarily have ever thought of taking.

One day Grace and her father were riding along the hillside by the rocky shore near their home. One glance at the ship amid the foamy waves below alerted them that a disaster was brewing.

“Lets go!” her father yelled out, “We have to help them!” Without a moment’s hesitation, Grace’s father dashed ahead on his noble steed. Grace, an excellent rider, followed her father down the slope of the pebbly cliff to the shore. She had little time to think about the danger that lay ahead. As she entered the cold, rough water, however, she asked God for courage. Numerous passengers cried for help. Grace did not’t know which way to turn.

“Grace, help the children!” her father yelled over the roar of the waves. “And don’t go in too deep!”

Listening to her father’s warning, Grace rushed her horse, Teddy, to the nearest child, a little girl. Grace grasped the girl’s small frigid fingers and dragged her to the safety of the shore.

Grace steered Teddy in and out of the water, each time carrying a frightened child.

Grace did not’t know how many passengers were safely ashore, how many were left out in the frigid water, or how long she had been racing back and forth. But she did know that Teddy was exhausted, and she was cold, wet and tired.

She slowly turned Teddy around and searched the restless sea for any more survivors of the wreck. Her father was returning with another wailing child. Grace looked back out at the desolate ocean. She could only see driftwood and the small, obliterated ship. But, wait what was that, way out there? She was not sure if it was a person or a piece of wood. She looked back at the scared faces of families. Grace bit her lips and hoped that was not another passenger. Just to be sure, Grace kicked her feet into Teddy’s hindquarters she lunged into the chilled water. Praying to God for strength, she urged Teddy to go faster. The further they got from the shore the more worried she got. Finally reaching the spot, somewhat relived, she only found driftwood! Suddenly realizing how far she was from shore, Grace fearfully made Teddy go back the way they came. It was a struggle to get back to solid ground. Grace was almost crying, she had never been this scared before. It was much harder going back, for the current was trying to swallow them further out to sea. They were so far out Teddy could not touch the seafloor! Both of them panicked, even more. At last, about half way back Teddy was able to feel the bottom. Thankful Teddy tried to go as fast he could go. However, in his speed, seaweed tangled around his legs, causing him to plunge into a head-first somersault, causing Grace to fly through the air and whamming her head on a piece of driftwood. Unconscious and cold Grace started her descent down.

Through a blur Grace woke up with a big bump on her head. “Where am I?” she mumbled. Then she remembered the wreck. She looked around; she was home in her room. Father came over and gave her a kiss, “I’m proud of you”, he told her.

She gave him a weak smile and fell into a happy slumber.

Fishr wrote a review...

There are too many adjectives. Do not rely on them as your support system. Here's a challenge for you: Take every stinkin' adjective away, and read the story aloud to yourself.

If the story doesn't sound strong or odd, it's because the adjectives were only holding it a float. This is a no no, and as you probably have guessed, I cannot stand an obscene amounts of description or adjectives. It drags the story, slowing its pace.

*

Historically, I do not know much about the Irish and the potato famine. This is of course, is outragious, since I have Irish blood, and both my of my great, great parents landed on Ellis Island. My grandfather, from England, and my Grandmother, from Ireland.

But, being an avid history fanatic, I can tell you this: The little I do know of the Irish potato famine; it was more of a crisis. Their lives, and entire existance was on the line.

You, as the writer, are not showing this. In fact, in the first paragraph, you've told us, basically, nothing. I suspect, as it so happens with this genre, we get lazy, and researching is just too difficult and boring. Sorry to bust your bubble, but I suggest in going over notes, reading closely, and reteach yourself about the Irish famine. As the reader, I'm not sold, nor pleased due to the many adjectives and lack of details.

Best of luck.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:35 am
Lucky_Duck wrote a review...

Okay that was really good. What was up with the whole did not't thing, it's didn't. Any way the whole thing was really interesting. towards the end, when she fell into the water, I would think that there would be more of an explanation to how she got back into the room and what was going on back at the shore. How did her father feel about Grace going into the waters depths, wouldn't he be yelling her name or something like that? Anyway it was really good(I'm honored... a skillful rider,huh?) You should write more short stories look this one but remember to check spelling and look for typos!!

--Lucky :D

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14