moby celeste

by Firestarter

The whales are singing again
in the middle of the night, drowning the baby
screams and vivid dreams they yearn for
wetter days. My body pitches
and yaws on the notes and aches
for better days, when sinews
rattled with silence, and languid
limbs stretched into sunrise
like the unravelling of a sail.

Some nights, the whales are quiet
and I am reminded of the emptiness
of my muscles. In the morning when it is time to sleep
I miss their skeletal wails and how they echo
my insides, because they are lost and old
and far from home, rotting in a stereo. We are husks
together, but they have found a voice
while I am wordless, sinking deeper into the trenches
of the mattress and forgetting how to fight my way out.

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hello, Firestarter.

I have been meaning to review this for a while because it's just lovely and haunting, and it's haunted me since I've read it.

And now, this is the review that will get my next blue star. I decided to make it a good work so I would enjoy this review.

Let's begin.

drowning the baby
screams
When I first read this, I was jarred when you said "drowning the baby" until I read "screams." The line break was very effective there.

I like the internal rhyme of screams and dreams in the same line as I mentioned above, as well as the play on words with "wetter". The wetter one, though, makes me think that the ocean is drying up for the whales, or metaphorically, something is happening to their surroundings that is not as good as it used to be, so really, it means the same thing as better days, but... oh, I'm not making any sense, am I?

God, I love your imagery at the end of the first stanza. It's peaceful and yearning at the same time, like the stretch of a cat when it wakes from a nap.

The feeling of the whole poem aches, and I love how you use the singing of the whales as a springboard for the personal feelings of the narrator. That's what poetry is supposed to do, make connections between two things to illustrate a point, and you've done just that. Thank you for sharing this poem on YWS. I'm sorry I couldn't give you more criticism, but this poem is right up my alley, and I can't stop thinking about how you put words together. Thank you, again. Happy poeting!

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:36 am
Monsters wrote a review...

Hey firestarter, thanks for recommending me in Reviewer Testimonials. I've been interrupted about 5 times when writing this review the past couple of days so sorry if it doesn't make any sense. I've also been very busy with finals so sorry if I don't get some obvious points about the poem.

drowning the baby

what? I don't get what babies have to do with whales or the sea and why downing babies would sound similar to a singing noise? How is a baby part of this story? Is there something hidden? If so I am going to go off on a limb here and say it is too hidden. I don't know why no-one has choose to touch it when it makes little sense. It's one of those lines whose sole purpose is to lose the reader; talking about something that is completely and utterly irrelevant to the story in real time.

singing again
and
screams

This is confusing- you are giving us a story and tacking on screams to singing whales and it's something that I cannot possibly imagine unless you clarify. It seems that adding the screams part was for that whole effect of 'screams and vivid dreams' which by the way is certainly cliche.

wetter days.

This would seem that you are saying the ocean is becoming dried up, why else would a whale sing for wetter days? If it's sad then sing is a strange word to describe the sound.

when sinews
rattled with silence,

To rattle with silence is such a weird thing to say. To rattle something is making noise but silence isn't a noise. Maybe what you mean here is the sound of silence but that is reaching. I get your playing around with words that are complex but it's abstruse because of that, maybe even to you as well. I don't think it's clear and kinda walks onto this line of gobbledygook. The poem is not really wow because of the story or how you portrayed the imagry ect. it's wow because you use alot of big words that we don't quite understand. In that regard it is kind-of cool but at the same time kind-of too easy and kind-of lacking in clarity. If you do this are you really getting anything across? I doubt it.

and languid
limbs stretched into [the?] sunrise
like the unravelling of a sail.

Now that's a great couple of lines. I've been meaning to say in this review that your line brakes really do seem arbitrary and this is a perfect example of that. you have the alteration of languid limbs going on but for some reason you split them onto the next line so that it is really difficult to recognize when your reader is reading it to them selves. And languid[pause] limbs is such a weird rhythm-less example in your poem.

At this point it feels lazy. It feels as if you started writing it tacking on words and sooner or later you decided on a meaning or justification to include them. I used to do it all the time. Whether you did or not is besides the point.

_____

This next stanza ditches this consistent line breakage you had in the first. It seemed that you were pretty set on having lines break at a certain point and then you left that. It seems again, just lazy to me.

Some nights, the whales are quiet
and I am reminded of the emptiness
of my muscles.

Now to say it like this is awkward because it's almost like saying that the silence reminds you of being weak instead of when there is silence you think about how weak you are. The emptiness of muscles is such a weird way to say that as-well. I believe at this point it was said to make the piece come off more original.

In the morning when it is time to sleep
together, but they have found a voice

WHAT! Why would you hide this at the end? This actually has rhythm and says just about all of it. The only thing I would change about this is the use of 'echos my insides' because it's cliche.

I think you should work on rhythm and clarity and also cut most of the first stanza, maybe expand the second to add the details in the first to make it more concise..

Anyways thanks again. I liked this a lot, I can tell you are experienced.

Meshugenah wrote a review...

Jacko! So, just some disjointed comments, here - I don't like your wording on 'like the unravelling of a sail" and want it to read "unravelling like a sail."

Second stanza, "emptiness of muscles" is just... uninspiring? That's not quite it, but it doesn't ring quite right for me; however, you build on it to "rotting in a stereo", which I really like. Though I definitely read it as "rotting in stereo" the first couple of times I read this.

Not sure I like the idea of "wordless," simply because this poems exists therefore there are words, communication of some kind. I dunno, that seems a bit too meta, but I keep coming back to it and the idea that it's not words, but a voice that hasn't been found, a name for what is going on - not the lack of communication, necessarily, but a naming. Maybe a bit too far on a tangent, but there it is.

However, I love the last two lines as a whole.

Now, all that said, I'm also reading this with some of what we've been talking about (because we talk so much, you know), and I really like what you're doing - especially with your imagery and the how you're drawing ocean and the movement and sounds of an ocean inward to a human body that is at war (with itself, I'm inferring).

Looking forward to more from you! It's been way too long, mister.

Hattable wrote a review...

Alrighty, finally getting back into the reviewing game! Here we go...

I didn't understand this poem's setting, at first I assumed it was in space due to the name "Moby Celeste" but I'm not quite sure. Nonetheless, I enjoyed your use of imagery such as "drowning the baby screams" and "because they are lost and old and far from home, rotting in a stereo". As for the separation of the lines, they don't seem to work very well with my mind to make the poem flow as nicely as it could, but that's just my brain being terrible with poems.
This work was very short, the shortest I've seen so far on YWS, and I can't really think of much else to say... Basically, I liked it, enjoyed your descriptive wording, and hope to see more from you in the future.

Farewell,
JKHatt

Firestarter says...

I'm not sure this makes you think of space - Moby Celeste is an amalgamation of Moby Dick and Mary Celeste, both based very much on the sea.

Besides, there are plenty of clues for setting in the text. Mattress, sleep, middle of the night, dreams, morning. It's in a bed.

The separation of lines, or the enjambment, is to create some double meanings e.g. ending with "drowning the baby" on the second line, makes the reader think of something else, but then you realise it's baby screams, not the baby itself. Similarly with vivid dreams, it almost sounds like the whales are yearning for vivid dreams and/or wetter days.

Thanks for the review.

JKHatt says...

Of course, that makes much more sense. I envisioned space at first because 'celeste' brings to mind celestial objects (i.e. moons, suns, stars, etc.) unless those aren't celestial and I'm just misremembering the word's meaning...

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:47 am
RituparnaBhowmik wrote a review...

the poem is a fine work , superbly spun and the suspense is well maintained.i love the work and this is one of the finest poem that i am about to review.
i would however suggest some flaws which is attended could perhaps make it sound better-
the theme is some vague and i like suspense but only when the mystery is revealed at some point. i do not understand the strong connection of the protagonist with a whale, and is he a whale too as only then he can hear the others.
please attend to some grammatical errors, the punctuations are missing and i would rather like each line beginning with a capital letter, it makes the work look more like a poem than a prose.
perhaps some addition to any incident when and how this member reached his present state of mind. like what happened due to which he left..
overall the work is really fantastic and may be some of my remarks were too cheesy, please ignore if i did make them sound rude
i am looking forward to reading more of your poems.
Rituparna...

Firestarter says...

Thanks! The theme is less vague than you think it is. It is about a man hearing whale music when he is sleeping and drawing similarities between the idea of whales being stuck in a stereo and him feeling stuck in his bed due to an illness. I didn't write this to be too mysterious. The clues are there in the text.

Which punctuations are missing? I don't see any.

There is a reason I don't capitalise the start of each line, and that is because I think it breaks the enjambment tension and double meanings I intentionally used.

Thanks for the review.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 am
Lumi wrote a review...

This is going to be brief, but I wanted to broach some thoughts that haven't been offered so far.

I appreciate the vagueness of your whale presentation. While the interpretation may go different ways (even into the sub-meaning of dreams, despite being conflicted with other dreams in line three), I like the reflection that the whales singing are literally whales singing, and that the narrator is at odds with a presentation of nature that makes him contemplate. Makes him introspective. It's a root of poetry in the natural cadence of things, and that's one of the reasons I'm attracted to this piece.

My first critique, however, is your only traditional poetic device that turns out rather clunky, which is the parallel wetter days/better days - not because parallelism isn't sexy, but because it just doesn't accomplish anything to make up for the destruction of flow. I think the more plebeian phrase is 'better days' and as such can be modified without much fuss. On this note, there are few specific points of flow disruption as you've executed word choice with a decent hand, but in general your flow and cadence leaves much to be desired as it reads prosaic and uninspired, which is a real shame because you're competing with imagery from the ocean, and in personal experience those images beg to be treated as velvet.

On the note of imagery, you receive higher marks; your choices fit and work and more importantly work together. This is something in which most writers find difficulty.

I'm unimpressed, though, with choice descriptions:

rattled with silence

and your habit in stanza two of explaining very blatantly what you mean a la
echo / my insides, because...

We are husks / together, but they have...

I personally think that these elements are the strongest culprits in your prosaic feel, which can be remedied by rather easy modification. You just have to be willing to sacrifice some stylistic choices.

My final note is that you've accomplished a decent amount in a short space, and I commend you for your achievement. That said, I do wish that I'd be allowed to connect more through flow - as it's my primary connection with poetry. Your tone is neutral; doesn't come off as whiny, doesn't reach for any grand or morose echelon of expression. You know what you're doing - just pay attention to the execution.

Ty

Firestarter says...

I like the reflection that the whales singing are literally whales singing

I'm glad somebody caught the idea that maybe I am not being mysterious and that whales are actually singing.

Your comments are right on the nose and I'll definitely use them when editing this. Thanks!

Tuesday wrote a review...

Hello CapitalMonday here for a review. i like to begin on how you used the whales as a symbol of your dreams also how some people might relate since they might live near the end of the water, and hear those whale calling their names to each other.

Whenever I read a poem like this one, i try to look for corrections/mistakes that could be used in a sense, to help the writer with what they are doing. Some poems have this problem while there a few that don't. Like this one, is so well-written that the words in here that i don't even know like sinews or languid, are just amazing adjectives for this poem.

All and all, i think that poem has a great symbol of a whale since in the beginning, you are comparing the dreams/nightmares that you have are like the whale's singing (in a sense). but there are some nights that, when you are sleeping, you can't dream and those are the nights that the whales are not singing.

Also I think that this poem might have something to do with a lull-a-bye since the whale's singing blocks out any other noises.

(Sorry for rambling just my way of saying how amazing this poem is)
Farewell,
CapitalMonday

Authorpink wrote a review...

The whales are a good metaphor for a song. The dream is interesting, I never thought that the dreams of a person could be that creepy. The quiet of no music in the background must be irritating. This does seem creepy, it seems dark but it was interesting. I feel lazy most mornings and never seem to feel better until around lunch. I think that this is a comparison to waking up.

Authorpink says...

The whales are a good metaphor for a song. The dream is interesting, I

kevin25a says...

I don't really get it, is this about someone who is delusional? Shinigami king, I recognize that profile photo. :)

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning