16+

Lonely

by LucytheBrave

The boy who sits next to me in French (and he's a real asshole, so I usually avoid talking to him) Asked me why I read so much.

I knew the answer, of course, but I didn't say anything to him. I just kept reading. See, for someone who has to ask, especially someone like him(who thinks the purpose of a book is to punish children), even if I explained they wouldn't understand. But that's what encouraged me, to write this, and try and explain.

I like to consider myself a writer, but I don't actually write so much. It's more like...I'm a thinker. I think words and stories in my head, I make up plotlines and settings and occasionally even languages. And reading books is how I learned to do this. I learned how to imagine, how to see beyond what's right in front of me.

At school I have friends, I'm not a complete loner. But when I'm at home, I usually sit alone in my room. In classes when I don't have friends, at parties where I don't know anybody, my mind begins to stray. And often, it results in the same thing. Though I create stories, the most important thing I create is people. Friends, Family, even on occasion an enemy. In my head, I have a million people who never leave my side.

So that's why I read so much, that's what I got from it all. Even though I spent so much time on my own, I am never lonely.

midnightdreary wrote a review...

Hi! This was an interesting essay which I related to a lot and which I'm sure many people on this site can relate to. In this review, I'll give you some things to fix, but I'd also like to share my own thoughts that came to me as I was reading this.

So for the criticisms I only have two things to say.
One is how you start a sentence with "And". It's kind of nitpicky, but if you're trying to write a more formal work, try keeping more grammar rules in mind than if you're writing a poem or a story.

The second is when you describe the guy in your French class' intelligence. You say, "See for someone who has to ask, especially someone like him, even if I explained, they wouldn't understand." I have some problems with this because it seems like you're insulting the intelligence of the kid, and to some people who don't enjoy reading.
Saying things like that makes you seem like that "I'm better than everyone because I'm different" stereotype, so just be wary of that.

I agree with the whole point you make about always seeming to have someone by your side when you're reading. In the summer, a lot of my friends are away or working, so a lot of the time I'm just sitting alone in my house. So, reading about all the characters in the books I read makes me a little less lonely. I feel like being invested in the lives of the characters makes me feel as if I'm living like them too. So, Just my two cents.

That's all! I hope this review was helpful!

LucytheBrave says...

It was very helpful, thank you very much! I do need to stop beginning sentences with 'And'. I didn't mean to feed into a stereotype, though now that I think about it that's how it comes off. I meant that this particular person is terrible. (shook)

IceWinifredd wrote a review...

Awesome. I'm happy to know a little bit about you. I'm the same way. I've got friends, family, etc. But I constantly imagine other things. A different world with different rules with different people that think differently tgat look differently ...it's a lot to explain. I feel much more lively even though all this does not exist in this reality. Good post my friend!!

LucytheBrave says...

Thank you very much! Its always nice to meet other people who think the same way you do

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson