z

Young Writers Society



Dreams

by LowKey


“Are you ready?”

“I am ready.”

“Are you certain?”

“I am certain.”

“Have you studied and obeyed all the laws of the goddess?”

“I have studied and obeyed all the laws of the goddess.”

“Then you may enter and meet with the goddess.”

Savial walked into the room and let the curtain that served as a door fall behind her. The room was filled with smoke, but none of it came from the fire. It came from the herbs and made her dizzy. The more air she took in, the harder it was to stand. She eventually fell down, her body too numb to feel it.

She managed to drag her almost limp body to the furs before she passed out completely.

She fell through the black and landed softly on a star. She waited for a moment, then a lioness appeared before her. She gasped and backed away in fear, but the lioness only winked at her.

Come with me.

The words rang in her head like a bell, and she obeyed.

The lioness leaped from star to star with amazing speed. It was nearly impossible for Savial to keep up. The lioness eventually stopped and let her on ride the rest of the way.

A huge temple rose up before them, and there the lioness stopped. Savial got off and walked up to it. The lioness followed.

On the walls of the temple were markings Savial knew to be words, but could not read. She looked to the lioness.

You must learn to read them. Only then can you create them. A time of change is coming, Savial. You must learn quickly. New people from new lands come. You must be ready for them.

Even as the goddess said the words, the dream faded.

Savial awoke and went to the elders to tell them her dream. The oldest spoke to her.

“The goddess was very straightforward with you. I think this is a sign. We will meditate and try to touch her on this matter. We must know more of these visitors. Until then, you must learn to read and write. I believe you are meant to record the events.”

Meanwhile, far out on the sea, a ship sailed, using the nose of the lioness to point the way.

*****NOTE: I really hate the beginning and would like help with it. I know it could all use work, but I think the beginning's the worst.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
210 Reviews


Points: 6040
Reviews: 210

Donate
Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 am
Meep wrote a review...



I liked the beginning. It actually reminded me of an exchange I had with a character in my dreams once. The whole story, though, is very interesting. I would try to work in the dream sequence, so that it's less choppy. The dream doesn't flow in and out like real dreams do. Also, how does the other character know what Savial saw in her dream?




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:10 pm
JabberHut wrote a review...



I agree, just be a bit more descriptive with your writing and you're good to go. I liked it, however. Never give up! Always keep moving forward! :) Shadow pretty much covered the examples, so I won't go there. I had trouble with descriptions as well. It just takes some practice. Use your imagination--that always helps.




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:55 pm
Twit wrote a review...



You really need to get inside Savial's head and describe her thoughts, feelings, emotions and all. Just describing (telling!) isn't enough. Show it! The reader needs to be sympathetic towards Savial, and care about what happens to her.

That said, this isn't "Gaspshriekshockhorrorsomeonepleasekillmenow!" awful. It's quite good, ackshurly. :)

You need to describe things, what's happening, what things and places and people look like, what they smell like, what they feel like, how they make Savial feel.

Describe the temple. Was it made of stone? Carved stone? White stone? You only tell us that it's huge.

Describe the curtain. Was it embroidered? Plain? Silk? Cotton? You only tell us that it serves as a door.

Describe Savial's feelings as she enters the room, during her dream, when she awoke. You tell us nothing at all of that!

It was an interesting beginning, and it makes me wanna read more - always a good sign. :D

Anyways, carry on writing!

-Twit




User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 187

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:08 pm
Ofour wrote a review...



I don't undertsnad why you say it's so bad, it certainly isn't. It is a little simple but it retains its effectiveness. If the rest of the piece is in this style it may not work so well, as kitty says, it would need more description.

The first few lines interested me, they are good hooks. However, during the vision I began to feel distanced from the characters - just watching them as if from far away; make it more personal. You leave a lot of unanswered questions, which is good, so long as you answer them later.

Don't give up on this.




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:49 am
Rydia wrote a review...



The first thing this piece needs is more description. You use phrases such as 'she eventually fell down' while barely mentioning the struggle. We want to see how hard this struggle is rather than just know that it goes on for a long time. Describe how your persona feels, the quickening of her breath and how her legs shake as they give way. In fact it might not be a bad idea to describe your character for us as well and who she is talking to at the beginning. The plot in this story sounds interesting and I'm sure it will be really good after you expand it.

The lioness eventually stopped and let her on ride the rest of the way. [color=blue] This is the only mistake I could find. I think you need to say 'the lioness eventually stopped and let her climb on and ride the rest of the way' for it to make sense but there's no reason you can't describe how she climbs on or use a more imaginative word like -

The lioness slowed and eventually stopped and padded back to where Savial stood panting. She tossed her mane back and forth before bending her body. With some hesitation, the young girl pulled herself up. The lioness' fur was warm and soft and she moved swiftly, allowing Savial to ride the rest of the way to their unknown destination. - See. It might not be the best description but even that little bit makes the story more interesting.

If you re-write any of this I'd love to read it so feel free to pm me about it,

Heather xx





You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen