z

Young Writers Society



Addictions (1) -Edited-

by LovexPeacexRandomx3


The title is temporary. Also, I know most stories like these are written by 18+ people, but not if I know enough about it. Anywho, enjoy and review! :)

“I’m fixing myself, Mari, I’m… I’m getting better,” he told me, with an uncertain amount of truth in his voice. His eyes were glued to mine and his bottom lip quivered.

“You said that before. It’s not giving up doughnuts, Jimmy. It’s quitting a drug.”

“I—I know, I just love you. You know that.”

“And that’s just not enough. You’ve done too much to me--and yourself. I mean, six girls--maybe more--was I not enough for you? And not only, you’ve used so much coke, for months, without even telling me,” I replied, with tears in my eyes. “I can’t do this anymore Jimmy.”

“Please, Mari! Give me a chance,” Jimmy begged, his eyes bloodshot from the drug.

I stared at the aging concrete, and then back at him. “No. I’ve given you enough.” Turning on my heels, I began to walk away, back to my apartment.

“I’ll change! I can fix myself! Just wait for me… please? I love you, Mari. I really, really need you to even begin to quit. I need you, I—” His voice tuned down when I decided not to listen anymore.

My eyes finally released the tears that began streaming down my face as I turned at the corner.

*

It was a sleepless night for me. Jimmy loved me, I knew that much, but he wouldn’t change. He never did in the past. My eyes were open, just staring up at the ceiling and counting the cracks in it. The phone rang for the twentieth time and I reluctantly picked it up, as I was becoming annoyed with the multiple attempts to reach me.

“What do you want Jimmy?” I greeted harshly.

“It’s Danielle,” the girl replied, taken back a bit by the bitterness in my voice.

“Oh, sorry, what’s up?”

“Sorry for calling you so late. You sound awake anyways,” she said with cheerfulness in her tone, which had gotten us to be such great friends in the first place. Her voice was almost a bucket of optimism.

Sighing, I responded, “Oh, yeah, yeah. Well, talk to me. I know you wouldn’t call this late, Danni.”

“Yeah,” her happiness broke apart as she began sobbing. “Adam broke up with me; by frigging text!”

I slapped my forehead in anger, the last thing I wanted to do was cheer someone up. But, I played along and decided to tell her what she wanted to hear. “Oh my God, that asshole, I knew he was a douche, but I had no idea that he could stoop that low!”

“I know, right!” Danni retorted, still crying.

“Let’s have a girl’s night out, tomorrow. Okay?”

“Yeah, meet someone new. Not-a-douche,” she stated happily.

“What else did he do?” I asked, regretting it by the second.

For the rest of the night she complained until five a.m. I listened to Danielle go on and on about Adam. I never really thought terrible of him, he was actually sweet. He used to give me rides home whenever I had to walk because my brother used to have to borrow my car—without asking, of course. Until my brother finally moved out, I was basically car-less. Finally, I had heard the snoring of Danni, and I quickly hung up.

When I flipped on the T.V., I was interrupted with a sound I didn’t want to hear.

Ding-Dong!

“Oh God damn it!” I groaned, rolling out of the comfort of my bed.

Stumbling to the door, I swung it open and stared at the man standing in front of me. His appallingly beautiful blue eyes stared down at me as he smirked.

“A—Adam?” I wondered out loud in shock.

“Hey…” he replied.

“It’s five thirty,” I moaned, and then yawned. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, after I broke up with Danielle, I immediately thought of you,” Adam said looking at me with guilt, yet a little bit of over-confidence in his eyes. “Can I come in?”

“Actually—” I was interrupted by him letting himself in.

“Nice place,” Adam stated, looking around.

“Um, you should go. You really broke her heart,” I told him as my arms crossed across my chest.

He stared at me, and retorted, “I know. She slapped me too. It hurt.”

“Good.”

Chuckling, Adam walked closer to me, “Aren’t you going to ask me why I thought of you and came all the way from Albany to New York for you?”

“Nope,” I grunted and took a few steps away.

“Because I’ve always liked you more,” Adam whispered, close to my face, and the fumes of sticky, hot breath snuck into my nose.

“Are you drunk?” I asked coolly, stepping further away from him.

“Pfft, no,” he snapped back. “I want… you.”

“Oh, please. Go get a cab and go back to Albany—”

His lips crushed against mine, and I admit, I was taken aback a little. Yet, I pulled away and slapped the same cheek as Danni did, it appeared.

“She’s my best friend!”

“OW! Fuck!” He shouted, rubbing his cheek. “God, you should at least take it as a compliment. I doubt you get much from the dirt bag.”

“Are you serious? You’re quite the hypocrite. As if you aren’t a dirt bag yourself.”

“Well, I don’t take Marijuana to ‘clear my mind’.”

“Get out,” I hissed close to his face. “NOW!”

“Fine, just, I’ve always had a crush on you. Since high school, and, I just thought I should let you know. Maybe a different approach would’ve been better, but I only thought about you, the entire night,” Adam stated, still standing across from me.

“Out.”

Adam glanced back at me, and then added before he walked out, “I know you’ll be thinking of me before you sleep.”

“Go screw yourself.”

“Oh, I'd prefer if you did,” he snickered, winked at me, and then the door shut quietly. Judgement very wrong. He is definitely a jerk.

“God,” I muttered as I waddled to the couch and curled up. I regretted ever not kissing him back and then I shook my head. She’s your best friend, don’t you dare. I told myself, and wrapped my arms around my torso. You don’t need him. You want someone to make you feel better. You’ll find someone tomorrow. She’s your best friend. There are plenty of hot guys in the pub. Just sleep.

My eyes stared at the door for hours. Even if it is wrong… no, stop it—he’s a douche and doesn’t deserve anything except another dirt bag. Yeah… right. You just miss Jimmy. You don’t need anything but a one-night-stand. Tomorrow, there will be plenty of guys there for you; and plenty of them up for one-night-stands.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 2979
Reviews: 22

Donate
Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:47 am
Shishu95 says...



Hey, sorry I forgot to add, I think you should fix this.

“You said that before. It’s not giving up doughnuts, Jimmy. It’s quitting nicotine.”


I don't think that quitting pot is the same as quitting nicotine. I think you're confusing it with quitting smoking. Try saying, you need to stop all this pot.

Or something like that :)

Hope i helped




User avatar
739 Reviews


Points: 32546
Reviews: 739

Donate
Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:30 pm



I really loved it! I thought that the characters were very real, and the dialogue was very good. I can’t wait to see more of this. Keep writing! :)




User avatar
155 Reviews


Points: 49725
Reviews: 155

Donate
Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:26 pm
Esther Sylvester wrote a review...



Hey there!

This was a very strong start for a book. You did very well with keeping the reader interested. I found that some of the bad language was not really needed to add effect, though. Sometimes the curses seemed forced.

I thought it was grammatically solid-as I didn't notice many mistakes through my first run through. I liked the characters, and I REALLY want to see how a relationship between Adam and Mari would work out. (Although Adam is a kind of a jerk.)

“Well, after I broke up with Danielle, I immediately thought of you,” Adam said looking at me with guilt, yet a little bit of over-confidence in his eyes. “Ca—Can I come in?”


I kind of have a problem with this line. You say he has confidence in his eyes, but he stammers when he says, "can I come in?" If he wasn't nervous he shouldn't have stammered. Unless he really WAS drunk.

Over all, excellent job. Good characterization, I would say. Post more post more!




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 2979
Reviews: 22

Donate
Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:57 pm
Shishu95 wrote a review...



“And that’s just not enough. You’ve done too much. Too much happened with the multiple girls. You’ve used too much Marijuana,” I replied, with tears in my eyes. “I can’t do this anymore Jimmy.”


I think it would be more effective if you stretched this out instead of compiling it into one sentence. You could get WAY more out of it if you made it longer, and instead of saying
"Too much happened with the multiple girls"
you could say something like, that night, you crossed the line.. 5 girls, really Jimmy? Something like that..?

It'll give the readers a clearer vision of what the characters are dealing with, and the story won't sound so choppy. :)

I think you should also show, not tell more. Instead of just saying
You've used too much marijuana
you could say, how Jimmy's use of marijuana has affected his life or your life, or other people in his lives life. Did that make sense?
Oh and I don't think you should say marijuana because I don't think people say
you're using too much marijuana
. It would be more realistic if you said, you're using too much pot. Or something like that.

Hope I helped :)




Random avatar

Points: 1040
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm
xxbwiismexx says...



For the rest of the night she complained until five a.m.

That could be switched around a little bit but other than that I really like it!
PM me when you post more
~ Bri




User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 4278
Reviews: 26

Donate
Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:43 pm
portersrose wrote a review...



Awesome story! It's really, really, really, really, really, really (oh shut up Rose) good! I can't wait to see where this story goes! Sorry if your one of those people who hate the people who just type random comments and leave great critiques...=P I'm one of those people. I like good comments, so I usually be inconsiderate and give other people useless comments. =P

PLEASE PM ME WHEN YOU GET THE NEXT PART UP!

~Hugs,
Rose




User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 4429
Reviews: 104

Donate
Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 pm
comrie wrote a review...



wow, surprise. i did kind of see that coming (adam liking mari), but it was nice.

Flipped on the T.V., I was interrupted with a sound I didn’t want to hear.

you could probably say "When I flipped on the T.V.," or "After flipping on the T.V., I was suddenly interrupted" to start the sentence off. whichever sounds right to ya. or you could come up with something else, i dunno.
His eyes were glued to mine, his bottom lip quivered.

instead of the comma, you could add 'and'
but i liked this, a lot.
< going to check out your other works! ;p




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 2676
Reviews: 19

Donate
Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm
ace1996 says...



“Yeah, meet someone knew. Not-a-douche,” she stated happily.

'knew' should be 'new'.
but other than that: its a good beginning :]





Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy