This Pencil

by Lordzim1234

this pencil can write
it can be a tool
a tool or a weapon
it can express your emotions
getting them out of your mind
joting them down
that may help you
this notebook can be writen in
it can store your emotions
making them real
or it can crush them
smashing them into nothing
it can keep secrets
keeping them away from others
let them be on your paper
so you can experiance them
again and again
may this pencil write them

Emerson wrote a review...

Unlike Matt, I'm all for adding punctuation and capitalization. Unless you do it with a purpose (and I think you were just forgetful ^_~) you should use them. Here is an article that may help you out: Poetry & Punctuation.

I didn't really like it, but it wasn't bad either. It just could be better, perhaps in your word choice or your explanations. It's a nice idea, but it didn't make me feel anything. In other words, I couldn't take anything away from it.

Perhaps consider what you want the reader to feel/think about the poem when they finish reading it. Best of luck!

GingerLizzy says...

Ooh, I liked this. Good imagary and flow and the sructure was different, so that's always a nice change.

^^

Matt Bellamy wrote a review...

I'm always unsure whether or not to say anything when no commas or capital letters are used because different poets seem to do it differently. So I've taken your poem and put in capitals and punctuation where I would personally put them, and you can decide whether or not you like it. You might even want to consider making every line start with a capital, it's really just personal preference. I have also fixed a couple of spelling errors and made some slight changes - changed "keeping" to "keep", and so on.

This pencil can write,
it can be a tool-
a tool or a weapon.
It can express your emotions,
getting them out of your mind,
jotting them down,
that may help you.
This notebook can be written in,
it can store your emotions,
making them real,
or it can crush them,
smashing them into nothing.
It can keep secrets,
keep them away from others.
Let them be on your paper
so you can experience them
again and again,
may this pencil write them.

Overall, I like the idea of this piece. It certainly isn't an original idea, but it is well written, and it's something that I agree with and can relate to, as can probably most people on the forum. Keep a look out for spelling/typos, and have a bit of fun experimenting with punctuation and such. Keep writing :)

Writing is my soul made tangible on paper.
— bluewaterlily