z

Young Writers Society



The Hunter

by LordLoredaen


(One of my earliest works!)

The Hunter

He trod his way down the byway,
That wound its way through the glen,
The Geese overhead on their flyway,
His gun cock beyond their ken.

As he raised the barrel toward the sky,
His bloodhounds awaited the call,
With the musket raised up to his eye,
His finger did only just stall.

Bang! cried the head of the musket,
Tinker; said the bullet shell;
Off went the hounds of the Truskott
As goose and feather fell.

The death of one living for sport,
Tis a ghastly thing to tell;
Of one's life cut so short,
With no thought, no a farewell.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 3003
Reviews: 26

Donate
Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:54 pm
LordLoredaen says...



Shina, you're advice is worth more than a solid gold exact size replica of the Lady of Liberty!




User avatar
263 Reviews


Points: 4362
Reviews: 263

Donate
Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:28 pm
Angels-Symphony wrote a review...



Hey Iain ^^ I came to review another one of your poems. I like this one and I don't like animal killing either. It's a really stupid sport.

Though I can't really help much with the poetry punctuation since that's not my forte, I'll just go with the meaning of the poem.

Like flower, I like the idea of this poem. At times the rhyme scheme ate up the whole poem, but I think you managed to pull it together. I'm going to challenge you. Try writing a free style poem, one that doesn't rhyme. Or perhaps try another rhyme scheme altogether. Explore different ways and methods of writing because you're not limited to only one way.

Also, showing and not telling. I've noticed that you tell rather than show. Telling is saying "he did this, she did that" and showing is using more imagery.

Rather than saying "the pizza was delicious", describe the aspects that make it so. "A waft of steam rose from the dish, making my mouth water." Stuff like that. It hooks the reader more when you involve all of the senses.

You have good ideas, now just send your emotions. Emotion is key in writing ^^

Good Luck
Shina




User avatar
321 Reviews


Points: 12611
Reviews: 321

Donate
Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:23 pm
Flower~Child says...



Wow this is touching to me, if that's not to weird for you. I am a animal lover and I hate it when they die, it is one more life. Anyway you are a great writer. The detail in this is amazing. I don't think it could get any bette! Keep writing.





Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon