Chapter One

by Lofty

Chapter One

Jamie

Grabbing my school bag off the hook, I stormed out of the front door and into the cold, damp street. I didn’t bother to shield my head from the rain; I was only going to school, after all. Every time I saw my reflection in the puddles on the pavement I felt worse than I had five seconds ago. My appearance and my identity were two things that I could never get away from. The two things that no-one would forget. And I resented myself for that. I pushed the burning question to the back of my head. Again. Always the same question.

As each rain drop fell to the ground, I felt as though I was being dragged down with them. Every rain drop that landed on my head and shoulders seemed to add to the heavy weight that had been placed on me ever since I had found out. It seemed as though there wasn’t anything that I could do to escape this miserable feeling. The face that glanced back at me in the shallow water reflected my sullen mood. My brown hair, darkened by the water, was flat on my forehead, almost reaching my knitted eyebrows, and my tight brown eyes. My mouth was down-turned; an almost permanent feature of my face.

As I started to get nearer the school, I noticed more people walking around me. But never too close. No-one forgets a person like me, and people avoid me for who I am. Okay, so socialising isn’t my strongest asset. Correction: it’s my weakest asset. I’ve grown to ignore it now; grown to ignore the people and the looks that they give me. Sometimes the looks on people’s faces are different, like they are trying to each tell me something different with the expressions on their face, but I can’t interpret it. I don’t understand. Another weak asset. My only reassurance in my life is that I know the reason for my problems. I’m lucky in that sense. A lot of people don’t have the answers that I do.

Reaching the school gates, I felt the full force of the stares that were directed toward me. Stepping through the gate, and feeling the awkward reaction that my appearance there had produced, I quickly sped up, and headed for my tutor room, knowing that I would be the first person to walk into the room. As always.

But today, I was wrong.

Hastily pushing the classroom door open, I instantly felt the freedom of being alone again; away from the awkward stares and silences, and best of all, away from other people. Yet, glancing around the room, I quickly noticed that I wasn’t quite alone. I stood, full of uncertainty, in the doorway, wondering what to make of the situation. I didn’t have to wonder for long, because it wasn’t long before Mrs Brady, the head-teacher, involved me in conversation.

“Ah-ha! Jamie. Good morning!” She smiled brightly at me.

I didn’t return her cheerful mood. “Mrs Brady.” I nodded at her in acknowledgement, but immediately averted my eyes from hers, feeling uncomfortable.

“You are just the person I wanted to see! I am so glad that you’re here. Brilliant!” Mrs Brady burbled. She is the most patronizing woman I have ever had the misfortune to meet. Her appearance just then simply dampened my already foul mood, and I felt the strong urge to scowl at her. “We have a new student in our midst! Jamie, this is Anna McKenzie. She’ll be in your tutor group, with Miss Rowe. Isn’t that exciting?”

Mrs Brady gestured towards the girl who I now knew to be Anna McKenzie. She gave me a small smile. There was an expression in her face that I couldn’t quite make out. She looked nice enough. She doesn't know yet, Jamie. She'll be just like the rest, you'll see. I tried to smile back, through my black mood, as I took in her appearance. She had bright, blue eyes, that regarded me carefully, and her white-blonde hair shaped her face nicely. Her electric blue highlights stood out strongly on her almost white hair. She still had the same, small smile on her face as she continued to watch me, and as our eyes met, it widened. I felt instantly awkward, and looked away. I turned to take up my usual seat in the classroom, as far back as possible, and tucked away in the corner, so as to avoid the usual unintelligent smirks from Tom Holland and his entourage, and the hushed whispers and knowing looks from Katie and her close circle of friends. I sensed the two watching me, but didn’t turn around to see the expressions on their faces. I wouldn’t have been able to interpret them anyway.

As I sunk into my seat, pulling my dog-eared Advanced-Level Biology textbook out of my bag at the same time, I wondered what Anna McKenzie had thought of me. Lost in my thoughts and a diagram of the human anatomy, I had hardly noticed that she’d followed me to my seat. She lingered next to the desk for a minute or so before I raised my eyebrows at her slightly, and her smile faltered a little. I regretted it immediately and quickly pulled out the chair next to me for her. Once I was satisfied that she had got what she had wanted, I turned back to my Biology textbook and I let it completely engulf me.

We sat in silence, alone, for the following seven minutes before the school bell rang to signal the start of the day. I was surprised that she hadn’t tried to make conversation with me. Maybe that was still to come. Or maybe I had simply scared her with my foul mood earlier. I’ll talk to her later. I promised myself. I knew how it felt to be isolated from other people, and I didn’t particularly want to dump that feeling on her, especially on her first day at a new school.

At that thought, I closed the Biology textbook quietly, and turned my attention to the people who were slowly making their way into the room. After deliberating over what to say, I finally turned to face her. “Anna?”

She looked at me, obviously surprised that I had spoken first. “Yes?”

“I’m sorry if I seem to be… a little awkward.” I looked at her, fleetingly, in the eye. “Socialising isn’t one of my stronger assets, I’m afraid.” I glanced at my hands, which were still touching the cover of the textbook, and pulled them onto my lap. I rubbed my palms together, trying to think of something useful to do, trying to make the awkward silence seem… Well, less awkward I suppose.

She smiled. “That’s alright...” Her voice trailed off, and she seemed to be thinking of how to phrase what she wanted to say. “I understand. It must be hard for you.”

“Who told you?” I snapped. “Who told you about me?” I turned away from her, and faced the front of the classroom, where Miss Rowe was setting up her laptop, ready for registration. I couldn’t believe Anna knew about me. She hadn’t even been here ten minutes, and she had already singled me out. Who had told her?

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I was simply suggesting that meeting new people is hard, for everyone. All I know about you is that your name is Jamie, you live in Oxford, and your tutor group is 10B. Happy?” She cocked an eyebrow. “I’m sorry if I seemed to have suggested something else, but I was just making an observation.” She added, as an afterthought.

Before I could return the apology, Miss Rowe addressed us. “Class, I would like to introduce you to Anna McKenzie. She has joined us from London, and she will be in our tutor group from now on.” She smiled at Anna, and continued. “Anna, if you go to the school reception, the secretary, Miss Hebble will provide you with your timetable for this year and a map of the school. If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to talk to me.”

From the corner of my eye, I saw Anna leave her seat and exit the classroom. I frowned, scolding myself for not taking the liberty to apologise when I should have. As I heard the door shut, I reminded myself that I didn't want company, so there was no need for me to apologise. The thought comforted me. I wouldn't have to endure the awkward silences for long.

She'll leave you alone soon enough. She'll be just like the rest...

Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 am
stargazer9927 wrote a review...

I love the plot line of this. I have a close family member with this condition so I can totally relate to it. Although he acts a bit different than this person does. But I know there are hundreds of different ways of acting with this condition.

If there was one thing I want to say it would be to change the name of your first chapter to the actual name of the story and then add chapter one to the end. When I first saw it I saw "Chapter One." That narrows it down:)

Good work and keep writing!

EmilyofREL wrote a review...

Looks like everyone else took care of the rest, but I'd just like to add in my two cents. I'm anxious to know more about both of them, and how Anna can help him. a close friend of mine has Asberger's (i know i just killed that spelling), and even though he drives me insane sometimes, he's awesome. Good start.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:06 am
pen wrote a review...

This has immense potential, in my opinion.

What I love is that you really do get into the character of this angst-ridden teen. She interprets the teacher's greeting as condescension, but it's probably not condescension. It's probably genuine, and the character is interpreting it as condescension. I find I can really sympathize with the protagonist.

This scene gets me interested in the stakes of the story. There's a person who is boxed in, and there's hope of getting out of that box, but you're not sure if it's going to happen. A most excellent start.

Lines like "so as to avoid any contact with my peers" seem a bit abstract and third-person... I feel like they take the reader away from the character. So for example, I'd replace this last bit with something like ". I didn't want to meet Matt Gerhardt's smug, unintelligent grin ,or catch Susan and her gaggle of heathers whispering **** about me."

There's a few lines like that, but really overall I got a great picture of the character's motivation and a great picture of what's at stake. It's something I feel an editor could take interest in and sharpen up. Great work. Hope to see more. And btw, "towards" can be "toward".

Best,
Pen

MrsSGriffiths wrote a review...

You need to go further in the direction of characterization. You're lacking in that department. One moment you're one way with the character, and one moment you're the other way. Also, you have a few grammatical errors that others have stated as well as ones they have not noticed. The thing is that their spelling and grammar isn't superb in their responses which leads me to believe this is why they might have overlooked your mistakes.
Overall it was a relatively decent portion of a novel and I did enjoy reading it, but I am left asking, "So what?"

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:34 am

Right! Here I am to review :) Nice siggy by the way.
Nit picks:

Lofty wrote:I didn’t bother to shield my head;
I would say from the (adjective) rain. Just so that we know why he would shield his head in the first place.

Lofty wrote:Every time I saw my reflection in the puddles on the pavement I felt worse than I had five seconds ago.
This is slightly disjointed, we have seen nothing to know he is in a bad mood; perhaps if you had made him grab his bag and then storm out the door we would infer that he is already grumpy.

Lofty wrote:The face that glanced back at me in the shallow water reflected my sullen mood. My brown hair, darkened by the water, was flat on my forehead, almost reaching my knitted eyebrows, and my tight brown eyes.

Aren't I just the best? :P

Lofty wrote:My mouth was down-turned; an almost permanent feature of my face.
I love this description :)

Lofty wrote:Good. I thought. Hopefully she’ll be different from the other mugs I have to spend my school days with.
From what I know of Jamie... and of the whole story I think it would be better if he automatically assumed she'd be the same as the others. He's obviously in a bad place in his life, why would this girl be any different?

Lofty wrote:“Would you like to sit here? You only have to ask, you know.”

This seems too much of a sensible thing to say. As you said he has trouble interacting with people this doesnt quite fit. I like the way he raises his eyebrows as this makes her uncomfortable, but it seems more like and Edward Cullen thing to do ( if that makes sense ).

Lofty wrote: I’ll talk to her later.
I think you should put the bit I put in italics, in italics :)

Lofty wrote:Whatever the reason, I smiled, and told myself that either way, it was good that someone accepted me for who I was.
But if she doesn't know she hasn't accepted him... she doesn't seem to have accepted him anyway.

That's it for the nitpicks, on the whole it's well written and I can't find any grammer mistakes. If I had to make one big suggestion it would be that he wouldn't bother too much about her. She's new yes, and hasn't seemed to have judged him but he seems to have a very pessemistic view on life and doesn't value himself much. Why would he automatically assume she was being nice because she liked him? He would proabably just assume she was being polite.

The other thing I wanted to point out was that at the moment Jamie seems to be a normal child, albeit a little grumpy. You need to get across the way that he doesn't communicate with others well but I'm sure this will get easier as the chapters come.

Now chapter two soon please???

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes