What Does it Mean to Dream

by LizzyTyler

What does it mean to dream?

To feel, to love--

To live on, through the abbiss,

With a golden, broken, destination.

We stand side by side,

Color next to color,

Blending together-

Until we are one.

When the lights die,

And the fire goes out--

We will stay, broken but steady,

Shattered, but stable.

What does it mean to dream?

To live with a light,

In the long

Dark tunnel.

Dreams are not perfect.

Dreams are not guaranteed.

Dreams are a fleeting hope.

Dreams are perfectly imperfect.

What does it mean to dream?

That is the question.

But let me ask you this-

What does it mean to live?

Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:14 pm
Astral says...

That last line gave me shivers oh my goodness! It's so beautiful the way you ask, "what does it mean to dream" and then at the end question the reader what it means to live, especially since most of your audience are writers and readers who probably use their art to escape and dream their way through reality! Your poem is so gorgeous! <3 /gen /pos

LizzyTyler says...

Aw, thanks!

LizzyTyler says...

Aw, thanks!

LizzyTyler says...

Aw, thanks!

LizzyTyler says...

Aw, thanks!

Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:59 am

Truly, I did a double take when I read your last line. It was such a beautiful, striking line that I immediately had to go back and reread the entire poem - more in depth this time! I love this poem!

LizzyTyler says...

Thanks so much!

Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:59 am

Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:13 pm
CotardDelusionz says...

Very inspiring poem. You managed to get a deep and in-depth message through, while also rhyming throughout the poem. And these ending lines,

"What does it mean to dream?

That is the question.

But let me ask you this-

What does it mean to live?"

are so good, a great way to end this poem.

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:34 pm

What does it mean to dream and to live? Those are both good questions that could have different answers,neither of them wrong.These are my answers,someone else may think differently.To dream is to wish for something better.To live is to not only survive,it’s to enjoy life itself.Dreaming is just that,dreaming.Unless you work to make your dream a reality,dreaming won’t get you anywhere.I hope you have a lovely day/night.

LizzyTyler says...

Thanks, you too!

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:46 am
Apehdavid2 says...

I really liked your poem! I think (like many of the other reviews said) that it was quite relatable; I definitely feel more when I dream

One thing I really enjoyed about this poem was how you used line breaks to set the tone. It definitely felt unstable and a bit frantic at parts, which I felt really meshed with the idea of the poem quite well. I think one of the most notable place was we'll stay broken but steady" as it is one complete phrase, and the jarring effect of it being separated like that almost makes the reader stressed. I liked how it was all just one stanza, too, cause it made it feel like one long cohesive thought that would mimic something like stressed thoughts going through a brain. Really nice work utilizing that structure to make the poem even more effective!

The one thing I would say is that there wasn't anything super unique in the poem. Aside the"imperfectly perfect line" Normallyread a poem, there are a few lines that I'll pick out and say that I really like the phrasing of. I think you made some interesting and super effective choices in terms of the overall flow and line breaks, but the actual content... I think if you put in a slightly more striking or unexpected image or used some really strong words that go to the extremes, you could get that super punchy poem that readers don't tend to forget after reading.

Overall: nice work!! I think you've got some really great stuff here, and I think the relatability and the way you conveyed that stress through the flow were some of the most outstanding parts of the poem. I hope to read more of your poetry soon! Until next time!!

Very good and laconic

LizzyTyler says...

Thank you very much!

Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:46 am
Apehdavid2 says...

Very good and laconic

jeremyeverett wrote a review...

G'day, LizzyTyler. I'll try my best to explain my impression of your poem, I hope it will be of benefit =).

Your poem strikes me as a lyrical monologue, a person with a wisdom to share through provoking others to think. A noteworthy thought shared, but is it truly designed to be as if flowing within one breath? I believe the message would be more profound with short pauses after verses meant to give a reader some food for thought. It would also give an Umph to the flow and guide the reader to feel, imagine, experience the emphasis on what this person of wisdom wants to share.

I imagined being this "storyteller" and taking a slow breath between the thoughts portrayed in these verses, you've given us a beautiful picture worth stopping at and thinking, I just feel sorry I ended up imagining your poem in a different design than you've shared with us. Thank you for your artistic contribution, it's been a pleasure to go through.

Best regards,
Jeremy

LizzyTyler says...

Thank you for your kind review! :D

JohnKlue wrote a review...

I recall Shakespeare in a sense.
A simple yet profound message.
Some dreams won't come true however that dose not mean we dream in vain.
Interesante abstract.

"What dose it mean to Dream"

"What does it mean to live?"

As if to present a simpler problem before something existential.

LizzyTyler says...

Thank you for your interpretation! :D

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
— Leo J. Burke