z

Young Writers Society


12+

Spaceman, Introduction

by LivShick


     And so, with the unearthed, atramentous sky, the effervescent light radiating off the sun dances in the ineffable skies of a billion shining stars and eight amiable planets that lay just beyond Reed’s gloved fingertips. To become real is beyond our means of comprehension. When we die and even our bones turn to dust, who is to say that we did exist? Planets die, and they have so much more meaning than that of a single human. Everything is fleeting, running away from what we know. For those to feel, ‘Am I real? Should I be real? Can I feel? Or is it just the universe being cruel? What is true cruelty? To be unreal, or to be real?’. Existence is even beyond our comprehension, but, for once, it finally felt small to the overseer.

Multiple small comets pass in the distance.

“I wonder what a man on the moon thinks about. Does he think of Earth when he feels lonely? Has he ever gazed at the Earth with longing, when there is no one back there waiting for him? I wonder what kind of thoughts he has.”

     Reed ponders, mumbling the last part halfheartedly and coughing up blood at the end. Three hours, just a few scarce moments to him. They say, ‘life is too short’, but they just didn’t know how to live it.

     Large, bold letters reading, ‘OXYGEN LEVELS CRITICAL’, flash beside small, red lights scintillating against the aluminum silicate glass; beyond the foretold ‘safety’ of the Tin-Can, is absolutely nothing. Time seems to slow as the soft beeping echoes throughout the spacecraft. Just three more hours, and it will all be over. Reed laughs deeply, immediately turning into a bloody coughing fit. He almost finds it strange that he welcomes death with such ease that it would cause shivers to run up and down a madman’s spine; then again, who would blame him during this surreal epidemic? Blood begins to trickle down his throat, some dripping from his chin and onto his heavy spacesuit.

“Is this when all the greats reimburse the ones they’ve wronged? Rearranging their final answers to meet the criteria that of a wise man’s life, like a child, cheating off another’s test so ‘Daddy’ can boast about something to the other parents during luncheon?”

     Reed calls out warily to the dead, naiveté captain aside him, old venom dripping from his wavering words like wet paint leftover from a coat too thick. Chuckling lightly at his ‘words of wisdom’, his eyelids suddenly feel heavy, and he suddenly feels old.

---

     Seventeen years Reed Kamashi sat up there on his rooftop questioning existence itself as if he holds the authority to do so. He quite clearly remembers the night he pondered once more, would the universe even bat an eye at him if he decided to jump? Would he float away and nest among the stars? ‘The only witness is us’ the stars echo, like an unspoken falsehood of a promise created at the Beginning. This world Reed has been chained down by expectations and fleeting opportunities is nothing compared to the stars, they’re like a fairy tale; a dream that touches your soul. He’s been trapped in his head for days and the suffering won’t end due to his ‘forbidden knowledge’. He called out to into the nights’ skies:

“Would you do it, would you take that final ‘leap of fate’ to finally have a place, a place among the stars and all of the Greats?”

     The question went unanswered, of course, but he already knew it: in fact, everybody born on this dying planet did. It was the unspoken truth of humanity. Who wouldn’t try and escape from the deathly cold grip of reality? Life is inherently meaningless and none of your actions matter. Trying to create any sort of temporary meaning is just an avoidance strategy of your primal brain physiology to keep your flesh prison working under made-up rules, laws, principles and all kinds of establishments. He had a pit of regret rest in his stomach after the words had left his lips. Reed’s eyes had widened like two small moons after realizing what he had said, questioning his own God’s Plan was disrespectful enough, but outright calling it false? It was beyond himself and was intolerable, to put it mildly. If his Father had caught wind of this… Reed didn’t want to think about what the old priest would’ve done to him this time. 

     The clouds flashed angrily above him. Lightening violently struck the roof causing his ears to ring inside his head. Sparks flew across the sky, burning his face. Reed blocked his eyes and slid down the burning roof. Reed stumbled down into the wet grass and clumsily fell into his room from the window. He fell onto his hardwood floor with a grunt, causing his Father to yell from the other room in annoyance. He frantically peered out the window to find the shiplap wood perfectly intact. No fire, no thunderstorm, and no angry Gods. One thing was left behind, his face was still bleeding from the burns. Reed sat there for a few more moments, catching his breath and telling himself that it would be best to forget about the roof. He tried his best.

---

     Almost falling from his chair, Reed jumps to attention. Instantly regretting the sudden movement, he grips his left side and clenches his teeth as crimson blood starts to pool around the fresh wound on his lower torso. I can’t die like this, not here, not like him. Reed glares down at the rotting corpse of Captain Smith with newfound confidence. The body lays on the floor, a meter or so away from Reed. Blood oozes from his head due to the bullet hole shot square in the middle of his pale forehead. Reed looks away in pure disgust. Not in some empty vacuum millions of lightyears away from home. He breathes in a few short breaths, the air is thinner than it had been a couple of hours ago.

     He spins his chair with a grunt. Reed’s eyes land on a singular pitch-black terminal in front of him, hovering over a large control panel; reluctantly ignoring multiple screens presenting an interior and exterior model of the ship’s engines, the damaged areas flashing red followed by more irritating beeping of cacophony. The digital clocks seem to speed up on the computers, dreadfully reminding him of the time he’s wasted with his sulking; the air supply won’t last forever at this rate. He vigorously flips multiple switches on the control panel and looks at the taunting blank screen. Hoping. Wishing. The screen lights up, displaying the words, ‘NASA’. Cheering silently, Reed gets to work. His fingers fly across the keyboard, connecting to a hopefully nearby satellite station so he can communicate with other evacuation ships. Inserting a code, Reed waits with high hopes in mind. The computer whirls and flashes red in distress. Something’s wrong.

     Reed shouts curses at the oh-so-familiar blank screen and thinks of a new strategy. To stabilize the engines, he would need to physically reach them. But at the same time, Reed needs to reboot the system or else the engines wouldn’t work correctly. Without somebody rebooting the computer mainstream, the engines would be offline unless both were activated and connected at the same time. Thinking quick, Reed grabs some rope from a wall, blood dripping after him. Reed wraps his free hand around the lever and pulls hard, grunting in pain. On trigger, the small spacecraft explodes with life and soft humming of machinery in approval. Reed quickly ties the fraying white rope around the activated lever, replacing his hand. He tugs on it, making sure it stays down. As for the other end, he ties it onto the bottom of his secure chair, keeping the rope taut. Reed leans against the window, gripping his side in hope to stop the gushing blood. It wouldn’t take long to reboot the computer, but he doesn’t know the complete extent of the damage to the ship; so theoretically, it could take up to ten minutes or more to reboot and Reed doesn’t have that kind of time to waste. The rope groans from the pressure, though it should hold.

     Reed bends over, hand still gripping his side furiously, for better access underneath the control panel. He opens a small compartment with a bloody hand to reveal its containments: a circular helmet. He pauses. Gently lifting the authentic helmet from under the control panel, he inspects it looking for any indents that could potentially cause a problem ending fatally for him. He blows some debris off the visor and sets it beside the array of buttons and switches he didn’t know the half of. He carefully sits down. Reed’s hand drifts over a small Space Invaders sticker on the visor. He smiles fondly at the memory. The sun was warm that day. The mood changes. Shaking his head grimly, Reed places the helmet on his head; therefore, if possible, further matting down his chocolate brown hair against his sweaty forehead. All emotion wiped from his expression, he locks the helmet on. Cool air fills his suit as an alarm sounds, signaling the final dozen or so minutes of fresh air the ship could offer. Reed’s auburn eyes were now slightly clouded over with vague nostalgia.

That, or it is simply the lack of oxygen finally getting to him.

---

     Reed tears his way through the nightmare's inextricable grand finale. His consciousness finally penetrates and is thrown into the threshold of a sanctuary he calls reality. Stumbling over his hot, raspy breaths, Reed doubles over himself, lungs demanding more air. His heart is banging against his ribs, chest threatening to burst from its own beating innards. It feels as if he’s desperately clutching onto the last thin thread of sanity within him. If he lets go... there will be nothing left.

     Damp hair slips out in front of Reed’s stunned expression. The fine hairs puckering out like little needles jabbing at his exposed skin. He tries to scream, he tries to cry out; no sound leaves Reed’s lips. His throat is cracked and parched. Nightmare failing to subside, Reed blinks hard, attempting to unsee what cannot be unseen. Unquenchable fear hides inside Reed’s watering, bloodshot eyes, the emotion painted a dark shade of red, as if the artist spilled human blood on the top of his canvas. It was almost like the artist ‘forgot’ to clean up the mess of blood they made, and instead allowed it to dry into a darker shade; introducing it as a sick new form of 'creativity’. To them, it’s nothing but a pretty new addition to their esteemed oeuvre. Torn bodies are the only suitable decor for such a nightmare, they're scattered without plan, nor thought, floating across the mortifying battlefields of an empty vacuum. After all, you cannot have one without the other.

     The traumatizing image is branded on the innards of Reed’s eyelids, refusing to let him forget, refusing to let him hide. Reed’s entire being trembles, so scared of the vivid dreams, as if they're a hidden reality. Sunlight beams haphazardly into the small apartment, not fretting about its timorous, apprehensive intruder. The nightmares are returning, if that's what you’re supposed to call these ghastly battles for sanity, or even a little peace during these dark after hours. They just always feel so... uncannily real. It’s as if I was there myself, like these nightmares hap-

A frightening thought emerges from Reed’s delusional mind.

     He grabs his numb head with shaking hands and groans, pushing back some stray strands of dark brown hair in the process. Reed’s breaths are still uneven and filled with fearful worry, the gruesome side effects don't normally last so long.

Am I finally losing it?

     Pitch black darkness invades, answering his question. Reed’s mind slips from his grasp like water through stones, tumbling down deep into the depths of wavering shadows alongside his other senses. Reed submits for he cannot claim victory in this battle for the state of mind.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144350
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi there! I don't generally read prose, but I really enjoyed reading this, so I thought I'd leave you with a few of my thoughts.

1) Nice plot idea - I like the whole lost in space/dealing with trauma idea you've got here, and I think it has a lot of opportunity for some deeply insightful inner dialogue as well. I hope there'll be another installment of this piece, and another opportunity for more action/backstory exploration.

2) Your vocabulary and word choice are really extreme.

At times, it made this a really interesting and descriptive read, and at other times was a bit bulky, tedious, and hard to get through. I've got a Bachelor's degree, and am working on a Master's so I read quite a bit, but had to look up at least two words in this because I had no idea what they meant. That's not necessarily a bad thing to use words that are out of the average reader's vocabulary, but know that using them too often can be off-putting for certain readers and also limit comprehension to some level.

There were also a few occasions where your extra verbosity actually made the sentences more awkward - for instance, "The traumatizing image is branded on the innards of Reed’s eyelids, refusing to let him forget, refusing to let him hide." this in itself is really redundant, it says the same thing about 4 times, and "the innards of Reed's eyelids"... wouldn't that just be his eyes? There's no need to hype up every sentence with a fun 15 dollar word, especially when it actually distorts rather than develops meaning.

So I guess I'd take a second look at some of those unconventional words in there.

3) inner dialogue was almost exclusively questions.

Repeating certain types of sentences or sentence structures, can get repetitive to the point where readers will skip over the content. I think there were parts that were too heavy with questions - almost every inner dialogue chunk was exclusively questions. If all the questions are essential, at least break them up with a few bits of description or consideration into the questions or they really lose their punch.

4) some of the philosophical musings (especially at the beginning) were extremely thought provoking.

I really like these two sentences, "To become real is beyond our means of comprehension. When we die and even our bones turn to dust, who is to say that we did exist?" -- really nice phrasing there, that I think will catch a lot of readers on edge.

I think that you don't need to throw every philosphical question in the book of life into each paragraph and chapter, but pick a few thoughts to dwell deeply in, and you'll engage your readers even more.

Hope that helps! This was a very fine start to what could be a really incredible story.

best,

alliyah

Image




User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 am
View Likes
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there LivShick! Tuck stopping by for a short review. Let's jump right into it!

beyond the foretold ‘safety’ of the Tin-Can, is absolutely nothing.
There doesn't need to be a comma here.

Reed calls out warily to the dead, naiveté captain aside him
Since you're using looking for the adjective form of naivete, you should use naive here.

Lightening violently struck the roof causing his ears to ring inside his head.
There does need to be a comma here, between "roof" and "causing".

Overall, you clearly have a very large and expansive vocabulary, and you did a good job of using strong descriptive words instead of resorting to cliches. However, if you're writing for the young adult genre, I would suggest actually cutting back on some of the higher vocabulary words. It kinda detracts from the suspense if the reader has to put the book down every sentence to Google a word. However, you also want to include some words that broaden their horizons, so it's a very fine line to walk indeed. I can't give you definitive answers, but I thought I'd give you that thought for you to mull over.

Another concern I have is that it was somewhat difficult to follow the plot. I got a lot of the major details—Reed is dying, slowly, suffering from PTSD, wrestling with some deep philosophical thoughts, but I mainly struggled with how this is relevant. I trust that you'll reveal that soon, but especially for the prologue, you want to do everything you can to ensure that the reader stays hooked. I felt that the beginning was intriguing, but towards the late middle and end, it became slightly more dull, and it was harder to stay completely invested.

I think the solution to that is to chop down some of the unnecessary details that you provided. You certainly don't need to do any major renovations, because this is already fantastic and quite promising, but cutting some of the philosophy (since philosophy can really sap interest and dry up the story pretty quickly) and other unnecessary details that are just weighing the story down might make this more fast-paced and easier to stay connected to.

But overall, I think that you had a really fantastic story here! I'm very intrigued to see where you take it, and I'd absolutely love to read more if/when you post it, so I would appreciate it if you would let me know when that happens. Hopefully my review was helpful and not too harsh, because that was not my intention. Let me know if you have any questions about my review and I'd be happy to answer them!

All my best,
Tuck




User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 7
Reviews: 100

Donate
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:37 pm
Em16 wrote a review...



Your piece is very intriguing and deep. The beginning poses some good questions and I especially love the sentence "They say, ‘life is too short’, but they just didn’t know how to live it". There are a lot of descriptions in this piece that are really interesting, and bring the story to life. However, I would like a bit more background. I don't know who Captain Smith is, who Reed is, where he is, and what happened to damage the ship he is on. I'm also confused by the interlude in the middle of the story, where Reed is on a roof thinking about Fate and God. There it is implied he is religious, but that is never mentioned anywhere else in the story. Just in general, more explanation would be helpful. The strongest part of the story, though, is the philosophical musings which are really thought-provoking.





Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak