That's What Life Is (Extract 1)

by Linx

Ok, I was typing this late at night, so it might have some typos. Sorry in advance! Please critique!

**********************************************

“Mom?” I peeked through the door.

“Hi honey,” my mom said weakly from her bed.

I quietly slid into the room and closed the door behind me. I looked around in the familiar room. A beeping monitor was next to mom, counting each beat her heart makes. An IV was attached to her arm, the clear liquid hanging from a bag. All around the medical equipment were flowers, cards, and balloons. Right next to mom’s bed was the sculpture that I had made in art this past year. It was a heart in the middle of a tree.

“Come pull up a chair Maggie. Why don’t you get a cookie too? I think Mrs. Bergeron left some earlier,” mom said, trying to prop herself up on her bed.

“Mom, just lay there. You don’t have to get up,” I assured her. I looked around for the cookies, but there were none there. Dad must have gotten them earlier. I grabbed a chair and put it next to her bed.

“You enjoying the summer?” she asked me, smiling a bit. Her brown hair or what was left of it, was pulled back. Her brown eyes still shone, despite everything she had been through.

“It’s good. Amy has been over some,” I replied to her.

“So you and Amy are okay now? Still friends?” Mom looked at me questionably.

“Yes ma’am” I told her.

“What’s dad up to right now?” she asked, taking my hand into hers. Her hand seemed so small and frail, and it felt like I could easily break it in two.

“He’s at work, busy typing stuff into computers probably,” I told Mom, laughing a little. She laughed along with me.

“Does he have a sermon for Sunday yet?” Mom asked.

“Yes ma’am. He’s preaching about when Jesus was at the wedding where he turned water into wine. His point is that Jesus, the son of God was at a party and was drinking and partying,” I replied, recalling to when I edited yesterday morning.

“That’s great,” mom rolled her eyes. “Just give us Tennesseans another reasons to party and get drunk.” I laughed, and mom laughed with me until she started coughing really bad.

“Mom!” I said, standing up.

“No, I’m ok Maggie,” she whispered, then coughed again. “I’m okay, really.”

I tentatively sat down. “You sure mom?” I asked.

“Yes, of course I’m sure,” she said, her voice stronger now.

The door opened and a nurse peeked in. “Is everything okay?” she asked, her red lips tightened into a forced smile.

“Yes. Everything is fine,” Mom called out to her. The nurse nodded and closed the door.

“So, you excited about this next school year?” she asked me.

“I guess,” I replied. I wasn’t actually that enthused about being a sophomore.

“You guess?” Mom said, faking shock. “Come, on! You get to see all your friends, learn cool stuff, and get cute boyfriends.”

I rolled my eyes, “Mom,”

“I still can’t believe you don’t have a boyfriend right now,” she said, smiling. “You are kind, smart, and beautiful!”

I snorted. Sure, a lot of people have said I am pretty. My blonde hair was long and wavy and my eyes were as blue as the sky. I was slender and tan from being outside all the time. The only make-up I wore was eyeliner and mascara and even some days I don’t wear it.

“Speaking of boys, how is that dashing friend of yours,” Mom said, somewhat changing the subject.

I smiled happily, “Rick is fine Mom. We were going to the park later, but it’s raining.”

Mom smiled dreamily. “Yes, that Rick is a keeper. Leah and Tim did a good job raising that boy.” She closed her eyes.

“You’re surrounded by a bunch of fine men Maggie,” Mom squeezed my hand faintly.

“Mom?” I said

“Keep the ones you love close Maggie. Always remember that,” she said, whispering now.

“Mom?”

“Life is a gift. Full of wonderful things. Like your father,” I could barely hear her now. Her breathing became shallower as she spoke.

“Mom?” I said, squeezing her hand again.

“Life is great. Don’t forget that. I love you Maggie. I love you and your father,” she said.

“Mom? Mom?” I said again and again. I sat there numbly as the heart monitor kept on going slower. “Mom?”

“I love you,” she said faintly, and took her final breath. The heart monitor behind her fell silent.

“Mom? Oh no, mom no!” I said, tears rolling off my face. “Mom, no!”

Her doctor, Larson Greys walked into the room. I looked up to him tear-stricken as I still clutched Mom’s hand. He quickly walked over to me.

“Maggie?” he said softly, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I shrugged it off and stood up. The tears flowed thicker and faster down my face. I ran out of the room and down the hospital hallways. I hurried down the steps and outside into the pouring rain.

Hospital workers and patients all stared at me as I ran past them, but I didn’t care. All I could think of was Mom back up on her bed, dead.

I hopped onto my bike and peddled down the road as fast as I could towards my house. I splashed into puddles that soaked me, but I didn’t care.

I finally arrived at home after the 15 mile ride. There on my covered porch, was Rick with his entire 5’10” frame and still growing. His brown hair was slightly damp and his hazel eyes were looking at a newspaper.

He looked up when I slid to a stop in the driveway. I dropped my bike and ran to the front porch.

Rick stood up as I neared him. “Maggie?” he asked as I climbed up the front steps. I said nothing as I collapsed into his arms, sobbing my heart out like a four year old.

“Ssh, Maggie. It’s okay,” he said soothingly, wrapping his arms around me. “What is it?”

“It’s mom,” I managed to sob out.

“What happened?” he asked, “Did she get worse?” I shook my head.

“What happened?” he asked again, still holding me close.

“Mom’s dead!” I said, and buried my head into his shirt. His shirt quickly became wet thanks to my soaking clothes.

His eyes immediately started to tear up and he held me closer. “Oh Maggie. It’s okay girl. It’s okay Maggie,” he repeated.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:11 pm
Bleeding Rose wrote a review...

counting each beat her heart makes.

Instead of "heart makes" it should be "heart made"

Come pull up a chair Becka. Why don’t you get a cookie too? I think Mrs. Bergeron left some earlier,” mom said, trying to prop herself up on her bed.

You forgot the comma between "chair" and "Becka".

Other than these minor mistakes and the ones the above users pointed out this was a great and sad peice. Great Job! :D

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:44 pm
Nebesah wrote a review...

You said there would be typos, so I'm gonna point them out and also any grammatical errors, but first:

This was great. Is it going to be a book or something? If so, you might want to spend some more time building the characters because that would make this part even more touching. Even as it is though, I got goose bumps and a lump in my throat...

Anyways, Grammatical Errors time!

A beeping monitor was next to mom, counting each beat her heart makes.

Any time "mom" stands alone, it should be capitalized.

Her hand seemed so small and frail, and it felt like I could easily break it in two.

This doesn't quite flow. You might want to consider taking out the "and" or something.

His point is that Jesus, the son of God was at a party and was drinking and partying

There should be a comma after "God."

mom laughed with me until she started coughing really bad.

"Bad" should be "badly" because it's describing a verb, making it an adverb.

Sure, a lot of people have said I am pretty. My blonde hair was long and wavy and my eyes were as blue as the sky. I was slender and tan from being outside all the time.

You changed tenses when you wrote "I am pretty." The rest of the paragraph is in past tense, but that sentence is in present tense.

Her doctor, Larson Greys walked into the room.

There should be a comma after "Greys."

There on my covered porch, was Dave with his entire 5’10” frame.

I would consider writing "Five foot, ten inch frame" instead of using numbers, just to emphasize his height. It's not necessary, though.

When you say "shook," do you mean like nodding yes? Or do you mean she's shaking her head because she doesn't want to talk about it. Technically, her mom did get worse.

I said, and buried my head into his shirt.

There doesn't need to be a comma.

“Oh Becka. It’s okay girl. It’s okay Becka,” he repeated.

There should be commas after "oh," "okay," and "okay."

We stood there for over an hour. I was crying until I ran dry and Dave comforting me on the front porch of my house.

You changed tenses again. It should probably be something along the lines of "I cried until I ran dry, while Dave comforted me on the front porch of my house." If you want to keep it the way you have it, then there should be another "was" after "Dave."

Except for these things, it was really good. I liked how it shows a world that isn't sugar-coated. I'm so sick of the "Everything's so amazing! Nothing ever goes wrong! Why don't we all jump on our unicorns and ride to the end of the rainbow?" worlds that I keep reading about in books. When it's done, I can see myself crying while I'm reading it. (I would have cried when I read it just now, but I got interrupted in my reading and that ruined the moment.) Also, I spell like crap, so if you want to make sure the spelling is okay you'll have to find some one else or use a dictionary.

All in all, it was a great story. Just make sure you finish it.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:55 pm
Linx says...

I do plan on writing more, so I will try to describe her dad and Dave more. They are two important characters. I will try posting it as soon as I can! :D
Plus, I will describe why her mom died too.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 pm
HannyJoy wrote a review...

Such an amazing and emotional piece, good job.

There's just a few little things i think might need fixing to help the flow of your work.

I think it would work better without the my For example:
"Hi honey," Mom replied weakly from her bed.

And like Meep said sometimes you can replace the Mom with her or she, it gets a bit repetitive and personally i think the less you use the word the more effect it will have when she Say's "Mom's dead" Might just be me though.

And who is Dave? During the conversation with her Mother i figure he's a friend close to her age but for some reason in the end it seems to me like he's a whole lot older than her, more of a friend of her Mothers. Maybe again that's just me?

A little more depth during her bike ride would be great too, explain how she's feeling how her surroundings seem to her. Maybe get her to think about her Dad a little?

Other than that, amazing and like i said it could all just be me =]

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:29 pm
ShaydeDesiree wrote a review...

This was an excellent piece for written so late at night.
it made my cry!
it was a shock when she said "Mom's dead".
It brought back memories of when my dad died. The shock of it all and everything was all to real.
the ending i didn't like though. It left me hanging. i think what would have made this better is if you kind of glimpsed into the future and how she has grown and changed since her mom's death. I dont know, that is just me. But overall i liked the peice...you did a good job.
I hope I helped a little. keep up with the writing!

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:23 am
Meep(: says...

You totally owe me a new box of tissues, cat!

I was crying and then I forgot my homework was on the table so it got all wet and salty.
Dang.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:30 pm
Linx says...

Thanks guys! I will try fixing it as soon as I can! I have free time after school on Thursday, so I can hopefully do it then.
Thanks again. I know what you mean Meep. I kept on crying too. :D

Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:12 pm
unraveled wrote a review...

Aw, this was really sad! :cry:

It was really well-written, though and I didn't catch any typos really. I think you could add some more details about what she feeling on her bike ride home, and maybe stretch out the mom's death a bit more. Maybe throw in some symptoms other than a cough that might for shadow the death more.
Keep it up!

-unraveled.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:39 am
Meep(: wrote a review...

Meow meow :)

Oh wow. So sad.
Thanks for making me cry.
*sniffs, reaches for tissue paper*

I liked it a lot.
IF I can give you any advice,
It would probably be, the ending.
The last sentence, the content was good, but wasn't phrased so well. It was okay.
Describe more about Dave and what he did?
Maybe her speaking would be less coherent if she's crying,
And I was a bit taken aback when she said "Mom's dead!"
I was like :shock:
Maybe its just me. But I would have thought she'd have more problem articulating that.
One more thing, we know that 'she' is her mom, so some parts you could switch 'mom' to 'she'.

I think.
I'm not good with reviews.
But... I liked your story.
Very touching.
YOU MADE ME CRY. Pfft :D
Keep up the good work!

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor