z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

The Drowners -2-

by Linguistic


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

               “Hey honey how was—“

“Fine, mom,” I cut her off, sliding into the small Corolla and slamming the car door behind me. “Counseling was fine.”

I said this every time and she never seemed to believe me. But that’s what my meetings with Dr. Marvin were: fine, and that’s all they ever would be.

My mother, a short redheaded woman, gathers up her magazines with haste and reaches over to shove them in the compartment in between the seats. As she leaned towards me, I notice her hair shine in the sunlight. A few gray hairs accompany the red.

“You need to re-dye your hair,” I comment. “There’s enough silver in there to make a necklace.”

She sits up straight in the seat, patting the top of her head. “Ember, honey, that’s not a very nice thing to say.”

I pause. The filter must be broken.

It happened sometimes after counseling where the filter would work too hard, and afterward it would break. I take a look, like a mechanic checking under the sink, and sure enough – there is a crack along the side of it, letting unmonitored comments through.

I sit straight up in my seat and look out the front windshield, regretting my words because I’ve embarrassed my mother. The psychology office looms in front of me, looking as dull as my own exterior.

“I’m sorry, mom,” I say. “I didn’t mean to say that. You’re as pretty as ever.”

She looks over at me and smiles, even though I saw her checking her hair in the rearview mirror only moments before. “I know, Em. I’m just old. Old people get gray hair.”

She laughs it off and I pretend it’s funny. The thought of growing old makes me sad.

The thought that not everyone will get to grow old makes me even sadder.

I make a mental note to fix the filter when I get home.

“Hey, do you want ice cream?” my mom asks as she pulls out of the parking space. I don’t feel like going anywhere but home right now, but she looks so positive that I decide I can’t turn down her offer.

“Only if you eat some, too,” I say.

She laughs. “Try and stop me.”

We reach the ice cream shop in record time. (My mom is a little heavy on the gas). Before we left the counseling office, she asked if I wanted to drive, but I turned down her offer.

She’d replied with “you’re almost seventeen, honey, you need to learn to drive sometime.”

But I can only drive while in mint condition, and one is not her best whilst having a broken filter.

We pull up to the small shop and the smell hits me first. There are few smells that truly remind a person of happiness, and one of those is the smell of ice cream. I climb out of the car and take a few more whiffs of sugary air before stepping in line with mom.

It’s a busy day at the ice cream shop, and I reckon it’s because of the heat. There’s something about sweating that reminds you to go and eat some ice cream. Also, with school ending in a mere two weeks, the entire class is already checked out anyway, beginning to spend their time hanging with friends over studying for finals.

I don’t like hanging with friends – what friends? – and I abhor studying, so that just leaves eating ice cream, I guess.

My mother attempts to make small talk, but I zone her out because of my general inability to filter my thoughts at that specific time. Instead, I look around for anyone I might recognize.

The ice cream shop itself is not large – it’s not even indoors. Just a small building with two lines that lead up to the ordering windows. The building itself is cute with its pirate ship theme. There are skulls and crossbones painted on the walls with small chests filled with fake treasure littered in the corners. There’s a hull of a ship built a couple feet away, surrounded by blue woodchips that are supposed to symbolize water. Kids climb on the wooden beams and scream things like “ahoy matey!” and “aye, walk the plank!” while spilling their ice cream cones on unsuspecting parents’ heads.

I remember doing the same thing when I was young, except with my specific uncoordination, it usually ended with me falling off and into the blue woodchips, scraping a knee or banging my head on a rock.

The memories were far from fond.

I look around for a few seconds longer before I can finally relax. I don’t recognize anyone.

My mom nudges me and I see that it’s our turn to order. I step up to the window that’s labeled “Captain” and wait for the cashier guy to come back. When he does, I struggle to breath for a moment.

The appearance of his face hits me like a brick in the gut and I know I’m staring but I can’t help it. Never in my life have I seen someone so beautiful.

His jaw is sharp and defined, and his cheekbones are dangerously high. The brown locks of hair on his head are messy, yet so incredibly calculated. His shoulders are broad, clad in a black t-shirt that stretches over the muscles in his arms. Everything about him screams sharp and dangerous, like the knife in the kitchen that you’re forbidden to touch. My eyes find his lips and they’re pink and full, and I’ve never wanted to kiss a stranger more.

And then I look into his eyes.

He’s a Drowner.

He’s a stranger but I already know he’s drowning. I have a knack for telling – being able to see with a single glance that someone’s grip on life is looser than everyone else’s. After seeing his eyes, all the other tells fall into place, too.

The way the waves churn in his murky, gray-blue eyes. The way his eyes flutter from place to place while still seeming to be hooked on you. The way he holds his head – as if his neck is getting too tired to carry around the mask that he’s wearing. The way his spine curls forward, tired from carrying around the heavy weight of the world.

I watch the waves, admiring the whitecaps that crash against his irises.

“Are you going to order?” he asks, and the words slide right over me and startle me at the same time.

I babble incoherently for a few agonizing seconds before I finally spit out, “a medium swirl, please.” My mother orders but I don’t hear what she says, and then the boy goes off to make our ice cream.

“Honey,” I hear my mom say. “Do you know that boy?”

I’m still staring at the window but I’m not really seeing anything. I can see the shapes of the machines inside the shop, but it’s all blurry, like when you’re focusing too hard.

“No,” I croak. “No I don’t.”

“Hmm,” she says.

He brings the ice cream back, but I don’t look at him when he hands the cone to me. Our fingers touch as I reach out to take it, and my eyes close shut while the air escapes from my lungs.

Why is he affecting you like this? I ask myself, but I don’t have an answer. I mean, you don’t even know him.

My mom leads me, like a small child, to the nearest bench and we plop down to eat our ice cream. I take a lick of mine before cringing.

“You want to trade?” I ask my mom, holding out the cone for her to take. She hands me her plain strawberry.

“I was wondering why you ordered a swirl when you hate the taste of both chocolate and vanilla,” she says. “So I ordered what you usually get, and waited for it all to play out.” She takes a lick of the swirl, and I swallow a spoonful of the strawberry. My mother can hardly contain her laughter as she says, “Golly gee, what’s wrong with you, Ember?”

I pause to eat another spoonful of ice cream. The kids on the makeshift ship are screaming and the noise is filling my ears, mixing in with the sound of ever-present waves. “I don’t know, mom,” I say quietly. “For the first time in my life, I’m completely infatuated with someone of the opposite sex.” There’s fog around my brain. “I think I’m in love.”

The entire car ride home I curse myself and my broken filter.

I’m not in love.

Christ, Ember, of course you’re not in love.

And so it’s settled – the filter is fixed and I’m not in love.

My mother and I pull up to the house, a modern Victorian with a wall of bushes lining the large porch out front. She pulls the car smoothly into the garage, and we get out. I stumble into a few bikes, even knocking one off its kickstand. (I’m exhausted. It’s no easy task fixing one’s filter).

“Ember, honey,” my mom says, her laugh not yet dissolved from earlier, “could you hold off being in love for long enough to make it safely inside?”

I try not to sigh, but I can’t help it. Then I sigh because I accidentally sighed.

It’s a private hell not being able to sigh. There are so many reasons in life to sigh.

“I’m not in love, mom,” I tell her. She just giggles and goes inside. Giggles.

I step through the garage door and into the arms of my father. He is one hundred percent me, from the way he speaks without words to the way he puts on a shirt – arm, arm, then neck – not like that head-first bull shit some people try to pull off. We even look identical with our long, lanky limbs, green eyes that are too big for our faces, and pointed noses. I can’t tell if our twin-like looks make me look masculine or him look feminine.

I try not to tell my dad he might look like a girl.

Instead, I let him hug me because I secretly like hugs even though I’m pretending to push him away.

“How was your meeting with that bald guy?” dad asks, because he respects that I hate calling him my psychologist. I’d answer with a “fanfreakingtastic,” but I’ve decided to use that word solely on people that mostly aggravate me, so I go with a shrug instead. “Sounds like a blast,” he remarks.

Yes, the blast of a cannon splitting through my brain at high speed, I think in response.

My mother walks through the small mud room that we’re in and into the kitchen, kicking off her shoes and heading to the oven. It is 5:30 and time to eat whatever kind of casserole my mother has prepared for us.

Casserole. Always fucking casserole.

My stomach curls up a little at the thought of eating.

“You know, mom,” I start, “I’m not very hu—“

“You’re eating,” she says, and that’s final. I know it’s because she’s always secretly thought I was anorexic. When you have one problem, it’s easy to imagine all the other ones being applicable, too. I look at my dad, and he shrugs, a hey-just-have-a-couple-bites-to-please-your-mother look on his face. I scowl at him.

We sit down at the table and my mother starts dishing out the chicken and broccoli casserole.

“Just a small piece,” I request.

She sighs. I cringe. When she sighs it makes her lips turn down in a frown, and it looks like her whole face is sagging. My mother’s face gets more tired and more tired every day, and it makes me happy to know she’s getting old.

Well, not happy – relieved. Relieved because that means she hasn’t stopped growing older, that she hasn’t stopped living. When you stop growing, you stop living, and when you stop living, you’re dead, and when you’re dead, it means you’re gone forever.

“Table manners, Ember,” mom reminds me. “What’s the magic word?”

I don’t say it, because there is no magic word.

Why do people say that? Where did the “magic word” come from? There’s no magic word. There’s no magic word that you can say that makes something happen, or a word that somehow grants a wish. What – “please?” Bullshit. That’s not a magic word any more that “fucktard” is.

Please.

Words are just that: words. Not one of them is more powerful than another.

Please give me a small piece of the goddamn casserole.”

Please help me with my homework.”

Please go away.”

Please stop talking.”

Please stop dying.”

Please don’t kill yourself.”

Please” does nothing. “Please” does nothing but make sentences one word longer.

So my mother and I sit in silence for a moment, both looking into each other’s eyes, her hand on the spatula that’s been shoved in the casserole.

Then, finally, she plops a piece of it down on my plate and we all eat dinner in silence.

Please, someone say something.

No one does.

There’s no such thing as a magic word.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:04 am
Apricity wrote a review...



Heyo Linguistic (nice name change), I'm here as requested. I'm glad you decided to post a second chapter of The Drowners because the first chapter intrigued me, but you should really update quicker because I can read more. Ok? Ok.

Anyways, let's get straight to it. There are a lot of things I want to say in this chapter, but I'll attempt to keep it short so that it's not too arduous to read. Before I get into the nitty-gritty of it, let me just say that the second chapter felt smoother than the first. As one of the reviewers say, the use of the filter was quite nicely written. And whether you intended it or not, this writing style suits Ember's personality and mind-set perfectly. So kudos to you.


Mother-daughter

This was the one thing that stuck with me as I read the chapter, there were certain discrepancies between their relationship. At the start of the chapter, there was the suggestion that they were in a somewhat formal relationship. I mean, commenting on dyed hair isn't that rude.

She sits up straight in the seat, patting the top of her head with a flustered look on her face. “Ember, honey, that’s not a very nice thing to say.”


I mean Ember is just being helpful right? If this is her filtering out truthful comments, I would have actually gone for something else that have shock value. It doesn't necessarily have to be big things but something that is usually private to Ember. I just felt her mother's reaction to the hair comment

“Only if you eat some, too,” I say.

She laughs. “Try and stop me.”


was too sharp in contrast to the rest of the chapter. Where the two seem to be holding a best-friend like relationship with Ember holding back certain things because she doesn't want others finding out what she really thinks.

Stranger Danger

I know he's very beautiful and all. But don't you think the I'm falling in love escalated just a bit too quickly? It's a very cliche scene in most YA novels. Girl sees boy, damn, the boy is so gorgeous and dangerous that it sends the girl's heart beating. I think you can do better than that, isn't she at all surprised about the fact that he's also a Drowner?

His jaw is sharp and defined, and his cheekbones are dangerously high. The brown locks of hair on his head are messy, yet so incredibly calculated. The pieces fall like smooth waves, crashing over one another and moving with the wind. His shoulders are broad, clad in a black t-shirt that stretches over the muscles in his arms. Everything about him screams sharp and dangerous, like the knife in the kitchen that you’re forbidden to touch. My eyes find his lips and they’re pink and full, and I’ve never wanted to kiss a stranger more.


Alright, so your previous reviewers have already commented on the description in regards to its complexity. Sometimes, less is more. So there is no need to tell us absolutely everything about him. Also, avoid these cliche YA-ish descriptions.

“Are you going to order?” he asks in a deep and silky voice that slides right over me.


Such as that. Deep and silky reminds me of something from fifty shades of grey, it's probably a personal preference as well but it irks me. There are many other ways to express such things, when describing you can use comparisons. Like his eyes, the description for his eyes were pretty good. I want to elaborate on this boy because I'm fascinated by him and I just sort of wished that you would expand on him a bit more.

How did Ember know that he was a Drowner? Just from his eyes, is that really enough? Apart from falling head over heels, what else did she feel? Why did her mother question Ember about the boy, just because Ember stumbled over her choice of ice cream, is that enough for her to assume that Ember knew the boy.

So for the latter half of the chapter, I'm not sure what to say. Mainly because it's a more fiery repetition of the first half. Granted it gives us more insight into Ember's mindset and her relationship with her mother but if we removed it from the chapter it wouldn't have made a very big difference. So my point is this, instead of it write about Drowner boy and Ember's thoughts on him. Move the plot forward.

That brings me to the end of this review, if you've got any questions please feel free to ask me. And keep me posted, I want to see where this goes.

Best of luck.

-Flite




Linguistic says...


That's a lot of help, thanks! I'll let you know when I post the next chapter (because I definitely need your awesome opinion)



Apricity says...


(I'm flattered.) And no problem I'd love to read more!



Linguistic says...


(Posted another chapter ;))



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 3643
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 am
View Likes
Ronald559 wrote a review...



There are a few gray hairs accompanying the red.
Take out, there are. It's much easier to read without it. It's holding the sentence down.


“You need to re-dye your hair,” I comment.
I see why the mom gets offended but is it possible to make it something just a tiny bit more harsh. It didn't seem all that bad for her to get so offended. Especially if it was her son and not some stranger. My sister and I say that to my mom, and all she says is I know. She's glad we tell her instead of someone who might be judging her.
(NOTE) I kept reading and the next couple of actions/dialogue fix it. I think her initial reaction should be a little less upset. Maybe just a look that says mom gets embarrassed. Then his reaction is, oops I embarrassed my mother. That works better.

"I’m just old; old people get gray hair"
Why did you add this ; for? It's dialogue. Just say, "I'm just old. Old people get gray hair." You are allowed to. The ; makes the whole piece break, and its such a fine piece of dialogue I hate to see it suffer.




"The psychology office looms in front of me, mirroring my dull exterior."
I don't know what this sentence means. I could be just dumb but maybe other might people could wonder what you mean here.



"She laughs it off and I pretend it’s funny.

The thought of growing old makes me sad."

I was a little confused again (I know, I do that often) I found it confusing because it seemed a little random he was talking about old age but then I realized its a reaction to her comment. So how about doing this instead.
"She laughs it off and I pretend it's funny. But actually growing old makes me feel sad."


Every time I read teen fiction the guy is always the perfect looking guy. For once I wish it was an average Joe but this average Joe was great! Anyway back to your story.
"I get lost in his eyes before I notice that the thick brows above them are drawn down, and his lips form a frown."
I get lost in his eyes, when I read this, immediately I knew it was wrong. I felt that emotion, I felt the character get lost in his eyes. Then you tell me afterward and it ruins it. You should take out just that part.






Now to the other part of my review. The part where I praise it. It's the best thing I've read so far on this site. You MUST continue. You're good, very good for your age. You could be published. And you have a lot of interesting things to say. That's important if a character never says anything interesting why should I read it? I can relate to some aspects of her. And I like her inner thoughts working. You express them well, and it doesn't dull.
You've got a gift. And while you write this story please, please, please make it about something. Something profound. You could very easily. The best love stories are tragic. Anyway just wanted you to know it's great, and that you're great too. :)




Linguistic says...


You seriously just made my day XD thank you so much for the nice things you said and thanks for the help!



Ronald559 says...


I believe them 100%. I stand by with what I said. It's hard to know sometimes, I hope I'm a little good. And that's it not all in my head. Anyway don't think you get a free pass with what what I told you. If anything you have even more responsibility, because you can't squander it, and and you can't stop growing. A good writer doesn't stop learning new things. He doesn't stick to something because its safe. They dare, and write only the bold. I like your writing. Keep doing it.



Linguistic says...


(Added another chapter - would love if you could check it out :))



User avatar


Points: 436
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:39 am
View Likes
Firefox10 wrote a review...



Hello, Firefox here! This chapter is even more captivating than the first. Your descriptions are quite strong, and I especially like that of the filter, "there is a crack along the side of it," and the ice cream shop, "There are few smells that truly remind a person of happiness...". The dad's description is also well done, concise without leaving anything out. However, the description of the boy is almost too dense. I appreciate that you're going for originality - it would be a piece of unimaginative cake to just say "he had brown curly hair" - but it's a little much. Descriptions should make the image clearer in our minds, not cloud it. I did like the description of his eyes because it tied neatly back to the origin of the name Drowner. I'm guessing that's what you were going for with his hair, but maybe tone that back a bit.

I am confused by the interjection of adoption. Perhaps I missed something earlier, but it seemed to come out of nowhere.

I appreciate how the mention of the "cannon blast" gave me an image of how a breaking filter feels.

The ending shows just how pervasive her thoughts of death are. Her mother sighing and the word "please" make her "relieved" and angry respectively because they remind her of death. It's showing without telling that everything triggers thoughts of death in some way.

Very well done, Linguistic :). I can't wait for more chapters!




Linguistic says...


Again, thank you for the amazing feedback :) I agree with the description of the boy - I may have gotten a tad bit carried away with his glorious (soon to be not-so-glorious) character ;) thanks for reading! This helps a lot



Firefox10 says...


*deep bow* As always, the pleasure is mine. I trust we shall meet again in the continuance of this fascinating tale :)



Linguistic says...


Added another chapter and would appreciate your feedback :)




My one true aspiration in life is to make it into the quote gen.
— avianwings47