z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Airport Looks Up

by Liminality


Clouds are the true masters of change.
The airport can only reflect it.

It stews in old memories
of its construction,
of the time someone put up a Christmas tree
in green, rather than
this year’s white.

This is a building that doesn’t like progress.
Instead of moving,
it lets people move through it.
Endless wriggling lines.

Glum windows
gradually forced to wakefulness
by orange lighting
and a star-speckled tree
left up through January.

In thunderstorms,
clouds hit the sky;
planes retreat.


__
Questions for reviewers, if you'd like to answer them:

1. Which image in the poem is the most striking to you?
2. Which lines could the poem do without?
3. Is there anything that seems missing or underdeveloped?

Thanks for reading!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 1058
Reviews: 17

Donate
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:22 pm
View Likes
humblebard1 wrote a review...



Hi!
I've never thought about the clouds this way! Definitely opens your eyes to look at the little things that we often take for granted in life, and you do an amazing job at zooming on certain scenes that really stick with you, your imagery is fantastic :)
1. Which image in the poem is the most striking to you?
"Glum windows
gradually forced to wakefulness
by orange lighting
and a star-speckled tree
left up through January."
It's a very vivid picture; the tree left up because you can't find the time (or can't be bothered) to take it down as you try and cling on to the very last remnants of Christmas....
2. Which lines could the poem do without?
This was tricky: the poem is a great length, and each line helps the story unfold. If i had to be harsh and choose one, maybe "by orange lighting"? Then again, I
3. Is there anything that seems missing or underdeveloped?
This poem is very well thought through, and unless you had a certain issue with its flow, i think it's great how it is!
Cheers! Thanks for putting such a great work out :)

- humblebard




Liminality says...


Thanks for reviewing! :D I enjoyed reading your interpretation of the Christmas tree image. That's a good thought too about the "orange lighting" line. Thanks again!



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 373
Reviews: 31

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:39 pm
View Likes
herbalhour wrote a review...



hi y til animal! it tis i, herb reviewing your piece of poetry! i'll divide this review by question.

-1: which image in the poem is the most striking to you?
I love nature as a whole in poetry. Somethinf about talking about clouds at the start, and ending with clouds made the whole poem more... electric (haha pun)
but between the two, i'd say

In thunderstorms,
clouds hit the sky;
planes retreat.

was more striking (like lightning!)
-2: Which lines could the poems do without?
i don't really see any lines it could do without but...
-2.5: Which lines would I replace?
i would probably switch out "endless wriggling lines" to something that talks more about the stationaryness of the airport
something like "and it stays stationary, but it is not a station"
-3: Is there anything that seems missing or undeveloped?
I don't think so! You do go back to christmas trees though. >.> wonder what the symbolism is there.

-conclusion
i have not read much of your poems, but now i'm thinking i should! I loved this so, SO much.

Thanks Lim!
-herbert




Liminality says...


Thanks for the review, herbert! :D That's a good point about the "endless wriggling lines". I went for Christmas trees since many people associate them with feelings of nostalgia and the airport "stews in old memories". Thanks again!




I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)