z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Take Care ch. 3

by LilyPhelen


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

They unlock our doors and take us to the showers. We have separate shower stalls and in a way, it’s almost like college, but of course, more supervision. I get changed into new sweats, and make my way to breakfast, which is held in the same place as lunch and dinner, and cooked by the same, unloving, horrible cooks as every day. The only thing saving me from starvation is the fact most of our food comes frozen and packaged. I’d love to see Martha, with the hairy mole, try to make spaghetti from scratch. She’d kill us all. Once Greg found a small curled hair in his mac n’ cheese, and when he informed the guard; the guard pulled it out letting his fingers first dip into the cheese and pulled it out slowly. Greg got sedated again for punching him in the gut (add that to the list of things that makes Gregory upset, six: Touching his food).

I go through the line, they are serving margarine toast and bowls of slightly too lumpy oatmeal. Not too much different than what I remember from my high school lunchroom days. Some of them however never made it to high school. To listen to the welcoming party gossip all I must do is sit by the corner table, next to the guards’ table. Which is pleasant enough, it also comes with two very quiet schizos, Fionna and Lucas. They don’t talk much and are always glancing around the room as if they are being watched. If we weren’t in a ward I would’ve said they would make a good couple. We are Co-ed. Allowed to eat and spend free time with each other, since we get evaluations every so often; on top of the fact that we have guards breathing down our necks and high sedatives packed into their pockets. I think they’ve started a contest to see how many times they get to sedate Greg.

I’ve only been sedated once. It was my first day here. I had just been to court and was issued here right after; most of the paperwork was filled out by my aunt and uncle who brought me in. Plead insanity. Do as I say. You’ll get out. Funny. . .

“Is it true that sometimes you see things that are not there.” A man in a fitted suit questioned. A nod in my direction from my aunt.

“Yes.” Is all I managed to get out. Most were stunned, my family cried, and I stood there in shock, tears stinging my eyes and burning their paths down my cheeks.

It wouldn’t matter if I was innocent.

I sat down at the far table. Fionna and Lucas giving me worried looks and then they look at each other, a single tear falls down Fionna’s cheek. . .crazies. I eat and listen to the guards.

“I’m telling you someone got out.” The first guard whispered slightly too loudly. I knew it.

“We would have caught it on the cameras; it’s just not possible.” the second guard says making a pushing motion with his hand as if he can push the idea out of the other guard’s head.

“Then tell me why we found the storage doors open, and the towels are thrown around inside.” the first said taking a large bite of a ham sandwich, he had wide blue eyes that seemed to soak up the unknown.

“Don’t be ridiculous, there aren’t cameras in storage, but we didn’t see any of the doors of the inmates open on camera. It had to be maintenance. They’ll fire whoever it was though, he might as well be locked up here too. The asshole left it for us to pick up.” The female guard stopped chewing.

“He or she, you mean.” the second male guard glared at her.

“He or She, doesn’t matter the person who did it left storage open and trashed the place, Dr. Martin will figure out who it was. It’s just a matter of time.” The other guards started to look around so my eyes went back to my chunky oatmeal. So the man I saw wasn’t real, and how could he be. Although it isn’t like a crazy man would get out and not run, some of them don’t even know they are here.

“I’m fucking hopeless,” I whispered underneath my breath. Fionna jumped and I leaned back in my chair giving her more freak out room.

“Aren’t we all?” a small whisper coming from what could only be silent Lucas.

“What?”

“Aren’t we all hopeless? That’s why we are here. That’s why we haven’t left.” Lucas’ eyes drop to his shoes, his hands in his lap, a small tear escapes his eye and leads its way down his face. What a depressing prick. He almost makes me feel bad for him. If it wasn’t for the fact that I am also in this hell hole they call a ward.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 1940
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:43 am
Gnomish wrote a review...



Hey there!

I just read through the other chapters, so I'll try to write an educated review! First of all, the story seems really interesting, and I'm curious to read more.

A couple things I noticed while reading this:

"I go through the line, they are serving margarine toast and bowls of slightly too lumpy oatmeal. Not too much different than what I remember from my high school lunchroom days. Some of them however never made it to high school."

What exactly didn't make it through high school?

I'm a bit confused about when and how Todd actually got sedated. You give a little bit of a hint into the past, which is nice, but I'm not quite sure about it. In general I would like to see a bit more of Todd's history, how he got in the ward and what he did.

I really like Todd's character so far, I feel like with his thoughts and dialogue you portrayed him clearly and concisely. I hope you post the next chapter soon!
-Gnomish

Image




User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:27 am
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there LilyPhelen! Niteowl here to help get this out of the Green Room this fine Review Day! Note: I did read the first two chapters, but I'm mainly reviewing this one. Some things I like: Todd is an interesting character. I also like how you're sprinkling bits of his backstory through the different chapters. I still don't really understand what he did to get locked up long term since these days, even if you are "bat**** crazy running around naked", you're normally there for days, not years (I speak from personal experience). But perhaps that will be revealed with time.

There's some good lines in here, like "It wouldn't matter if I was innocent" and “Aren’t we all hopeless? That’s why we are here. That’s why we haven’t left.”

Setting-wise, I feel like there are some parts that do feel like a real psych ward, and some parts that don't. The cafeteria itself complete with bad food seems about right, but sedative-happy guards seems a little over the top (not saying people don't get sedated, but that it'd not quite so frequently as it seems to be for Greg). Also, I highly doubt medical marijuana would be allowed ever. It's also kind of weird that Lucas seems to think he could leave (if he wasn't hopeless), but Todd can't. There probably wouldn't be that sort of mingling between different "security levels".

But really the biggest issue here plot-wise is that it sounds like the guards don't know who got out. When I was in-patient, the nurses patrolled the hallways every 15 minutes or so at night. Our bedroom doors didn't lock and we had to keep them ajar after lights out. This was a smaller hospital, but even at bigger facilities, there's different wings so someone would know what's up in each wing. If someone got out, they would know very quickly.

My guess is that what you're trying to set up is that this person Todd saw is someone real but somehow invisible to the naked eye, like a ghost. In that case, I would reframe this from "maybe someone escaped but we're not sure who or how" to "things are happening that are weird even for a mental hospital, yet all patients are accounted for and nothing is showing up on the cameras".

So the man I saw wasn’t real, and how could he be. Although it isn’t like a crazy man would get out and not run, some of them don’t even know they are here.


This seems like it's backwards and he should be feeling like this man was real now that the guards have confirmed something is amiss.

I’d love to see Martha, with the hairy mole, try to make spaghetti from scratch. She’d kill us all.


hey don’t talk much and are always glancing around the room as if they are being watched. If we weren’t in a ward I would’ve said they would make a good couple.


These are some fun quips. I like Todd's voice, even if he is a jerk.

Overall, there's an solid character and setting, but I feel like the plot could be stronger and more logical. Keep writing! :D





Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle