z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

All I Have

by LilPWilly



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:06 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi LilPWilly,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

That was a beautiful poem. What, it's a short story? It felt like you were reading to a desire that resembled a poem. You created a very interesting and soulful reading flow that evokes emotions in the reader. It feels realistic and enchanting the way you tell the story.

I like how the emotions are put into words here and how they affect the reader. It's considered and yet, as if it's acting like a countdown that breaks down towards the end. I like how the inner life is reflected in the narrator's words and how it alternately swings from side to side, like an emotional seesaw.

Since it's probably more aesthetic, I didn't read much into it, and yet I like that you chose this font for the text. It has this feeling like it's a letter being written, late at night in front of a typewriter and candlelight, where the narrator is reflecting.

In terms of structure, I like how the various bullet points are also broadly similar in structure and length, and also increase in a certain way. It's sometimes closer, sometimes further from the person you love. (Boat = far away; hotel, very close, etc...) Also the change later in the tenses, gives the impression that desire is a struggle, where the narrator suppresses and allows himself to be pulled.

Other points that struck me:

I was being eaten alive by shame.

I like your description here and how simple it seems at first glance, yet is very deep and shines with more meaning than on first reading. You combine pain and sorrow, eagerness and curiosity in one sentence. I like that.

You are out of my league and surrounded by people that would be hurt if you gave me a chance.

I like how the narrator here puts himself beneath the person he loves. It shows how little self-confidence the narrator has and how he sees himself compared to his love. Perhaps he worships the person so much that it is almost no longer love?

A whole summer of 'times'.

I like how the meaning can stretch here and how the narrator doesn't go deeper into the description. What I also like, which you could actually guess a little bit, is how it is mentioned later that he is "the luckiest kid alive". I like how it actually comes out here that the narrator is probably only a teenager, and is faced with the various fears that come with love.

It was a really wonderful poem (short story, sorry :D). You have been inspired by simplicity and meaning here.

Have fun writing!

Mailice




LilPWilly says...


Thanks! Yeah this is one of my favorites. You're right, I just wasn't sure it could be called a poem since it was written in such big blocks of prose. Your assessment that his love is really just worship is really insightful, and I agree. The thought in mind was that she represented the closest he has come to happiness, and that if he could be more like her, maybe he could win her respect, and ultimately, her love. His love would reflect all the aspects of worship, from unbounded admiration, to the sincerest penitence for his 'offences,' to catering to her apparent interests, etc. He was lucky she was kind and self-sufficient. And that she cut him off. My hope for this character is that he can become satisfied with his life without her enough to learn reservation, that he can become balanced enough to be independent, and grow confident enough to be bold, so that instead of saying all I had, he can say I did enough, I am enough, and that's good enough. But this guy is real, and he won't give up. So all I can do is hope that when they meet again he will have grown up, and she won't look back in disdain. He's a good guy, and does his best to give her space, but like I said, he won't give up, because no matter what he does, the happiness he felt with her remains unrivaled. Thanks again, I appreciate not only that you understood this well enough to offer valid insight into a character that exists beyond the page, but that you felt the emotions portrayed here so much that you enjoyed the experience of reading it. That is really validating for me as a writer %u2665%uFE0F



User avatar
659 Reviews


Points: 82352
Reviews: 659

Donate
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:01 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks wrote a review...



Hello!

This was such a strong and beautiful piece. Your words were so arresting and I loved how it flowed more like poetry than a story. You expressed the constant turmoil within this person in a way that almost anyone could relate to it. The vagueness of it all made it even more interesting to read and even though I personally have never felt like this, your words made me connect to this person. The emotions you portrayed through each stanza or rather paragraph was just beautiful. I only wished there was more. I am sorry if this is a crappy review. I personally have no words in me right now. Also I can't believe I have only come across this now!

Keep writing! This was amazing.




LilPWilly says...


Thanks so much Random Talks!



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 491
Reviews: 21

Donate
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:18 am
TheClosetWriter wrote a review...



Within this piece, there are such powerful messages about love. So many times, we want to be with someone yet are kept from them, destined to be alone often for their own good. This poetic short story further explores the difficulty in growing attached to another and being forced to let them go. Immediately, I identify with the speaker and it breaks my heart when I see the protagonist of this narrative isn't at last with their romantic interest. The way in which the tale is told through a series of sequential "times" also creates a very satisfying affect. I'm so eager to learn more about the characters involved in this text however I adore the anonymity of the account. I know many can relate to this plot and I hope the voice of this chronicle finds their love very soon.




LilPWilly says...


Thanks! The story isn%u2019t over...



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 153
Reviews: 21

Donate
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 pm
JamesPeterson wrote a review...



Hello!
I enjoyed your piece. The way of telling it kind of like a poem was very cool. Your use of words is very nice. For example, I liked how you said "now your cold shoulder has turned to permafrost".
Like MapleWay said, I think there could be some more to it.
Overall, great job! :D

-James Peterson/Zacharias Drake




LilPWilly says...


Thanks man, Zack? James? Loll





Yeah, Zacharias Drake is my pen name. At least for now. I mean, James Peterson is...James Patterson......yeah
:)



LilPWilly says...


Cool lol



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 18
Reviews: 93

Donate
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 am
MapleWay wrote a review...



Hey there! MapleWay here with a quick review!

This was a cool little piece! I really enjoyed reading it! My favorite part of it was not the story you told but the way you told it. I felt as if I was on a special ride I felt as if I was there. The way you express your feeling for this person is unbelievable. It is so majestic and perfect! When it comes to critiques I only have two. One, I felt you could've added a bit more. I find myself wanting to know more about these times. I want more details and more sentences. But I guess it would get rid of the poetic vibe you had so I'll leave the decision up to you! And two the fact that in the picture there is a line next to the word cold.

Anyways great story! Can't wait to see more!

-MapleWay




LilPWilly says...


I think that%u2019s my cursor loll
Thanks! Yeah, I considered adding more, but I wrote this as if I would give it to her, but we both know that probably won%u2019t happen loll and she would know enough about the actual experiences that it would be redundant to describe them.



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 109
Reviews: 37

Donate
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:44 pm
YellowSweater wrote a review...



I loved your piece!

I'll start with my critiques and then I will go on to rave.

The beginning doesn't Immediately catch my attention. And I actually think that could be fixed by simply changing the sentence structure. If you changed "I pretended to have myself under control from the beginning" to "from the beginning, I pretended to have myself under control", your opening statement would end on a snappy, intriguing note.

In your second sentence, I would change "I was being eaten alive by shame" to "I was eaten alive by shame."

At the opening of the second paragraph: Why does the narrator feel good? Some more details here might be nice.

I am not a huge fan of vague demonstratives, because replacing them always seems like a good chance to both make your writing clearer and to add more detail. I would see if you can replace the "that" at the beginning of your third paragraph with something more informative.

I am not entirely sure what the "visibly" before broken, at the end of your fourth paragraph, is adding.

Maybe change to "The fourth time was the end" instead of the "ending" I love what some after that sentence though, it's so poignant and rhythmic!

I would like some more clarifying details in the seventh paragraph. I find it a little a bit confusing.

Same thing with the first half of the tenth paragraph.

I love the structure of this piece. It's well-thought-through, but also passionate and spontaneous. I can feel the emotions coursing through it. There is definite musicality to your prose.

A pleasure to read and review, YellowSweater




LilPWilly says...


Thanks a bundle! Idk if I%u2019ll update it, but the least I can do is explain my thoughts. The seventh paragraph is literal, I actually ran to her house every day I could for an entire summer.

The tenth paragraph would be hard to explain; she told me we probably wouldn't see each other again, then asked me if there was anything I wanted to say. I didn't say anything, because I was in a room full of best friends and would be too embarrassed by the truth%u2014that is a huge regret these days. So the next morning I biked down to her grandma%u2019s house, which was her last stop before leaving the state, and she didn't give me another chance to say goodbye. Or, I love you for that matter. I don%u2019t blame her, though.

The second paragraph, I don't know exactly why I feel good. That%u2019s part of her mystery, just the way she looks at me makes me feel safe, happy and loved.

%u2018That%u2019 in my third paragraph refers to %u201CI felt so good that it took all I had not to ask you to stay.%u201D You%u2019re right though, this is pretty ambiguous. Actually you're %u2018right%u2019 about everything loll

Finally, I added the adjective %u2018visibly%u2019 because I never told her how broken I was. I played it cool, but she could see right through me.

Again, I really appreciate all this top notch feedback (especially the compliments tbh lol).
Thank you!



LilPWilly says...


Thanks a bundle! Idk if I%u2019ll update it, but the least I can do is explain my thoughts. The seventh paragraph is literal, I actually ran to her house every day I could for an entire summer.

The tenth paragraph would be hard to explain; she told me we probably wouldn't see each other again, then asked me if there was anything I wanted to say. I didn't say anything, because I was in a room full of best friends and would be too embarrassed by the truth%u2014that is a huge regret these days. So the next morning I biked down to her grandma%u2019s house, which was her last stop before leaving the state, and she didn't give me another chance to say goodbye. Or, I love you for that matter. I don%u2019t blame her, though.

The second paragraph, I don't know exactly why I feel good. That%u2019s part of her mystery, just the way she looks at me makes me feel safe, happy and loved.

%u2018That%u2019 in my third paragraph refers to %u201CI felt so good that it took all I had not to ask you to stay.%u201D You%u2019re right though, this is pretty ambiguous. Actually you're %u2018right%u2019 about everything loll

Finally, I added the adjective %u2018visibly%u2019 because I never told her how broken I was. I played it cool, but she could see right through me.

Again, I really appreciate all this top notch feedback (especially the compliments tbh lol).
Thank you!





It really was a wonderful piece, and it definitely doesn't need all the feedback I gave you, but I am glad you found it helpful. You have a very strong voice! Also, relationships! Ahhhh!



LilPWilly says...


Hahaha idk how many times I can say thanks loll




Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief