18+ Language Violence Mature Content

You are the Reason I Died

by Lightsong

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Jonathan opened the letter from Grant, his dead friend. He found it under his table a day after Grant’s death. ‘To Jonathan, My Insensitive Friend - From Your Hurt Friend, Grant’ was written on the pristine white letter. Inside it was a paper folded into two. He unfolded it. Emily and Harrison watched him, waiting for what their best friend wrote to him.

Grant wasn’t his best friend. They met this year after five years of separation, and they weren’t even close. When they were twelve, he liked to tease Grant, and Grant usually didn’t retaliate. He did once, eventually, but it wasn’t taken seriously. When they met again, however, they suddenly became good friends. Grant relied personal information on him.

Sitting at his place in the class, which was quiet because school was over, he read the letter out loud. “To my friend, Grant,” he said, Emily closing in to hear him better. Harrison folded his arms, waiting expectantly for the next words.

When you read this letter, you know I’m dead already. And I really didn’t mean it to be this way. If there’s someone who would resort to suicide, I’m not him. I may feel suicidal - frustrations, depression, they do that to you - but I would never commit suicide because I don’t want to miss so much wonders in this world. I know what lies ahead of me, what’s stored for me.

And then you arrived. You, who used to be this fat bully, and now had a neat beard, Robert Pattinson’s curly hair, and that gorgeous hazel eyes. You still look big, but you aren’t fat. Not unless I pinch your stomach, of course. I would feel your fat if I do that. But yeah. You arrived in an appearance so much better from the last time. And you aren’t acting like a jerk. In fact, you know religious stuffs.

Then again, that religious side of you should be expected because you come from a family that is quite known for that. Not that I care, though. I care about how you advise me religiously on what I should and shouldn’t do. I appreciate that because that means you look after me, although you don’t really do much, actually.

After some time, though, I can see the remnants of the old you. You know, you were great when you listened to me talking about my brother. He is sixteen, and only now do I know he smokes. And he started smoking last year. How could I miss that? If only my father didn’t check his school trousers, we would never know. But you listened. That was nice.

You know why I’m telling you this, right?” Jonathan stopped. He looked at Emily and Harrison. “I think it’s better for me to read this alone. This is for me, after all.” He held the paper down.

“Oh no, you aren’t going to do that,” Emily said, grabbing Jonathan’s arm and holding the paper up for him to read. “We didn’t know Grant was going to commit suicide, but we did know he wrote a letter to you. He told me that, and he wanted you to read it out loud in front of us.”

“B-but -” Jonathan stopped after seeing Harrison’s glare at him. It wasn’t expectant like before - the gleam in his eyes was total fury.

“He has shared some stuffs with me, you know,” Harrison said in a low voice. “Read it.”

Jonathan gulped, and he knew he had no choice but to continue reading and stumbling into something he really didn’t want to see. He looked at the paper. “If you’re conveniently forget about this, then I’ll remind you. You know about the Whatsapp group, right? It’s created by Daniel, the guy I secretly have a crush but won’t notice me. Anyway, it’s for the boys of the school, which aren’t much given at this point, students at our age would prefer to study in college or something.

My other secret crush, William, posted something about these Japanese people who didn’t smoke a lot, and in fact thought it would be disrespectful to smoke in public. He said something about us following them, and that kind of bullshit. He said when were we going to be like those Japaneses. I just loled, because let see.

The Japaneses weren’t like us, I said. They were brought up with discipline, bowed down every time they met someone they respected, and said “Thank you” every time someone did something to them. We weren’t raised like that. That was why I said to just banned cigarettes. If we wanted to overcome the problem, we needed to do something drastic. But he said it would just allow illegal transfer of them.

And he was right, but it was better than talking with them about cigarettes. Talks, all those words, they weren’t going to affect them, and we should know better. I mean, how many times they produced shows and songs to ban these things - drugs, cigarettes, vape - and they were all futile. Oh, and I told him I was in a debate team once and said how dare he wanted to debate with me and he said game on.

And I like our conversation, actually. It’s the longest we have, the two of us.

And then someone said how lame. I didn’t know who or what he was talking to, but I’m pretty sure it’s directed to me. I don’t mind. In fact, I replied with a thanks. You know me. Sometimes sarcasm works better than direct insult. But then, you know what happened next? Oh, of course you do, you’re in the group too.

You butted in and mocked me, saying even I didn’t know how to take care of my brother.

I replied with a big thanks, friend, and left the group. You acted like nothing happened.

“Terrible,” Emily said, her low voice giving goosebumps to Jonathan. “You’re insensitive; no, you’re heartless. Truly heartless - why didn’t we see that before?”

Harrison’s eyes were still on him. “Keep reading,” he said in a calm voice, which scared Jonathan more, because he knew Harrison had the tendency to suddenly explode.

But that wasn’t the reason I committed suicide, of course. That is still something small. After some times of me not talking to you, I talked to you again. This time, I talked lesser than before, but I talked, nonetheless. Which means we were still friends. And since I’ve been sharing my personal information with you, I thought why the hell not? I should better share this with you.

I told you I was gay.

You were disgusted, totally disgusted. You spouted some religious bullshits, talked about how being gay was a major sin, and just plainly insulted me. Okay, to make it clear, I don’t have problems with people who think being gay is a sin - sometimes I think it is - as long as they still treat me as a human. If they want to convert me, they shouldn’t do it forcefully, they should do it gently. I’m up for it.

But you didn’t try to convert me. You did something worse. Guys, I think I should stop here,” Jonathan said, his voice pleading. His hands and shoulders were trembling, and he couldn’t look at Emily and Harrison.

“No. Keep reading. We don’t know about this,” Harrison said, starting to lean towards Jonathan. “Don’t make me mad.” His breath tickled Jonathan’s ears.

“Y-you p-push,” Jonathan stopped, taking a deep, shuddering breath. His eyes glassy. “You pushed me to the wall, shouting at me how I was a faggot. You said it was no use for me to keep living, because you said I’d rather been fucked by some horny faggots. You said that. I didn’t believe it coming out from your mouth, but when you did that thing... I started to realize you were a different person.

You unzipped your pants and pullet out your cock. You pushed my head downward so that it leveled with your cock, and you pushed my head toward it. You forced me to suck it like a faggot I was. I cried, you pulled my hair, and yelled again about sucking your cock. Finally, I did. I did, and it didn’t feel good at all. When you started to cum, you didn’t pull it out. You forced me to eat it.

I thought you were done by then. I was mistaken.

You turned me around and took off my pants. You shoved your cock into my butt. All this time, you yelled about how faggot I was acting like, and you were enjoying it though you sounded mad. You were enjoying fucking me, raping me. I told you to stop. I said it relentlessly, I never stopped. But you didn’t stop, and you just continued what you did. After you were done, you left me in the class with a couple of punches in the face.

I didn’t tell anyone about this. Not even Emily or Harrison. But they’ll find out, because you’re going to read this in front of them, aren’t you? And that’s the reason why I commit suicide. I couldn’t bear studying with a monster, getting near a monster, a monster who disguised itself as my friend. I should’ve known how insensitive you consistently became, and how you weren’t supposed to be my friend.

You are the reason I died, and I hope I’ll see you in hell. Other than that, suffer living. Because you are going to pay for this.

Sincerely hurt,

Grant

Harrison snatched the paper from Jonathan, and held it up for him to see. “I’m going to pass this to the police. Grant’s right - you’re going to pay for what you’ve done.”

“No!” Jonathan said, trying to take the paper from Harrison’s hands. He couldn’t, however. Harrison was too tall for him, and Harrison pushed him away.

“Wow, Jonathan. Just wow,” Emily said. “I know you’re such an ass, but I don’t know you can be a trash. Seriously. You’re such a coward. Let’s go, Harrison.” She grabbed Harrison’s shoulder, and they left the class.

Jonathan stayed there, finally crying, defeated. He shouldn’t do it, but he wasn’t thinking at that time. He was just not in the mood to listen Grant’s story. He just found out his sister was having sex with her boyfriend. His underaged sister with some tattooed brat. It was no excuse, he knew. But what else could he do? He just thought Grant being gay was the right thing for him to be mad of.

It wasn’t. It wasn’t the right thing for him to be mad of.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:17 pm
Apricity wrote a review...

Hey Lightsong, here as requested.

Carlito has actually already mentioned a lot of good points, so I'll elaborate a bit more on those and give you my personal opinion. Apart from being dark, I don't see another point to this story at the moment and it's a shame because you can do so much more with it. And I'm pretty sure you intend it to be more than that.

It seems like that the punchline of this story is the letter, where Grant blames Jonathan for everything that happened to him and basically rat him out as a rapist. However something don't add up him. Jonathan from the way you've written him doesn't match up with the sadist in the letter, there is a clear dissonance between them. And as Carlito have mentioned you haven't fleshed out Jonathan or his supporting character enough to build that emotional bridge between Grant, Jonathan, Emily and Harrison.

Also, Grant's suicide note could be altered to be more emotional. I don't remember what reason I did it for but I was researching notes written by people who actually suicided or close to doing it but was saved, and the psychology behind it. Suicide notes are rarely as long as the one you've written here. Make it shorter, more concise, pack it with imagery and anger and emotion.

Secondly, how can Grant make sure that Jonathan will actually read it in front of their friends. If Jonathan had any brains at all, I'd imagine he'd keep it inside the table and wait until he was alone. But you never explained how Emily and Harrison were with him, they were just there. Also, don't forget to describe Jonathan's emotion when he sees that letter. Fear, anger, sorrow, regret? Or perhaps it's the opposite? Emotions are important for establishing empathy, remember that as you write.

As for the ending, I found it anti-climatic. If Emily and Harrison was so worked up over Grant's death are they just satisfied with telling Jonathan off? And Jonathan's sudden defeat doesn't make sense, that excuse he made at the end needs to be more realistic and better fleshed out. I think this story ended prematurely.

Several questions for you:

What exactly do you want to get across to the reader here? Base your story around that.

Use strong imageries to add emotion, take a look here to add some feelings into your words. And some further resources.

Character development is obvious, you need to focus on Grant and Jonathan's friendship / not-friendship. Emily and Harrison needs to be introduced earlier but you can throw in some context clues so that you don't have to go too deeply in. But you need to sync Jonathan's character together, obviously Jonathan the evil and Jonathan the normal will be different but at the moment they are too different.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask me. I hope I've helped in some ways.

-Hir

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! :D

Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:40 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello! Here as requested! :D

I actually enjoy reading darker fiction, and weirdly enough the book I'm reading right now had a similar event happen. ANYWAY... :p

This story is definitely dark and definitely sad because rape and suicide. But I think it could be even more powerful. To me, it lacked some emotional punch that I know it's capable of having. To me, it felt like a string of events that happened without much context or emotion and the context and emotion is what will make it destroy everyone's feels.

Let me break that down a bit.

The opening.
We have Jonathan and dead Grant and a letter. There's a paragraph of info-dump background information and then we go right into the letter. To me, it's a little disorienting.
Who is Jonathan? Who is Grant? Where are we? I know this is a short story so you're a little limited on what you can develop in some regards. And I tend to think in novels, so if you're not able to carry out all of my suggestions I completely understand :p
But I would like a lot more showing of their relationship - maybe flashbacks to when they met or when things were good between them. I want to know what it was like when things were good with them and I want a better sense of their personalities and who they are so this death and all of the things that come out because of it are even more shocking and heart-breaking.

Emily & Harrison.
Who are they? (I know they must be friends) but who are they? They're kind of thrown in there and I don't know who they are or how they're related to Jonathan and Grant and why I should care about them. I want a lot more personality and character development really with all of the characters here. I know it's short, but I still want to feel like I know them, and right now I don't. I'm not going to feel anything when bad things happen to the characters if I don't feel like I know them.

I liked that the letter was broken up with little bits from them, but I think that should feel more intentional. Right now, to me, it feels like little bits thrown in to break up the letter. I want more emotion/personality/reaction/action happening in those bits.

The letter.
To me, parts of it feel a little disjointed and out there and I'm not really sure how it relates. Like sometimes I feel like he just goes on and on and I found myself thinking get to the point (which sounds bad because he's dead... :p). Examples - going on and on about how Jonathan is fat, the religion part (I just didn't really understand what he was trying to say there), the Whatsapp stuff and the Japanese/cigarette stuff,

The ending.
I thought it was a little corny. After the big reveal and his friends are like "we're going to tell the police and you're going to pay" and then he just sort of accepts it... Like I get that they're mad and I get why they would say everything they said, but it felt corny and sort of cliche to me. It also felt a little rushed. I don't know if you were trying to stick to a certain word count, but I would have liked a lot more emotion and reaction from all of the characters.

I think to take this to the next level, you just have to develop it a little more. I would like a lot more showing. Maybe instead of the whole story coming out through a letter there could be some flashback scenes that show parts of their relationship or story interspersed. I would like a lot more character development. Right now I don't care about the characters because I don't know them. If I care about them, I'm going to feel something when bad things happen. Check out the book Leverage by Joshua Cohen. There's a sort of similar situation and I think he does an excellent job developing the characters and the situations leading up to and surrounding the big events.

I'll leave things there for now, but please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing!

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! This is helpful! :D

Carlito says...

No problem! Glad you found it helpful! :D

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:59 pm
SereneSimpliciT says...

Holy Hell.

That got so dark, I mean I thought I was dark in my writing. But in comparison to this, I mean holy crap, I got emotional freaked out.
That is freaking impressive. It may be that I just don't like sexual stuff, or that I am a big supporter of LGBT rights, but the fact that you're able to grab my attention and keep me emotionally involved is amazing. The story had this smooth decent into this dark place that I didn't see coming, which made it beautifully suspenseful.
I really have no idea what else to say about the story other than just wow. Great job, really.

Now I will point on one thing that did bother me a bit; you sometimes write words in the wrong tense. I will say that it was a constant thing, so maybe you're trying to give the character a specific speaking style, I have no idea, but for me it was very distracting

That's really all I've got to say! Great piece and I hope to see more
~Maddie

Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:08 pm
TheresaSenpai says...

My story still darker. pece.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:49 pm
SereneSimpliciT wrote a review...

Holy Hell.

~Maddie

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! :D

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11