The Last Light Companion [Chapter 4.2]

by Lightsong

The bell rang again. Jannah opened her eyes. She was back at the living room except that she had not leave it. She rubbed her eyes. It was a dream. Everything stayed the same. The door-less room that served half as kitchen and half as dining room was dark. She did not forget to switch off the light, after all. Maybe that was what made she think something was off. She shook her head. No, it was something else. She would investigate this, but first, she had to check who had been ringing the bell.

It was Rachelle and Manisha. Rachelle’s car was parked at the side of the road as per Jannah’s instruction. Mother would want to park hers at the pathway to the house. Jannah’s was opposite to Rachelle’s. Sometimes Jannah saw the cars a waste; each one of them had one excluding Manisha, but Manisha had a reason not to drive one. Jannah had suggested carpooling with Mother, but due to the gap between Mother’s workplace and her school, it was faster to go like this.

Jannah opened the door after pushing the button that would let the gate open. Her friends came in, but not with empty hands. Both of them were carrying plastic bags, the white ones that you got in the shopping complex. Jannah raised an eyebrow. What had they buy? Rachelle had a bag strapped around her shoulders, and was grinning at her. Manisha flashed her a smile.

She smiled. ‘Come in,’ said she, opening the door wider to let them in.

‘Wow, this house is nice,’ said Rachelle, inspecting the living room and nodding in approval. She placed the bags on the peach couch to which Jannah gestured. Manisha did the same.

‘Thanks,’ said Jannah. She sat on the peach couch and patted it while looking at her friends. They joined her with her at the middle.

‘It’s been half a year since I met you and this is the first time I go to your house,’ said Rachelle, shaking her head slightly, perhaps in disbelief.

‘It’s not that long. It took a couple of years before you came to my house, remember?’ said Manisha, turning to her right to take out whatever was in the plastic bag. ‘We’ve bought something for our sleepover tonight. I didn’t want to go to the OU shopping mall, but Rachelle insisted.’

She laid three pieces of plastic-wrapped CDs. ‘Rachelle picked one; I chose two.’ She gave one of them to Jannah. The plastic shone under the light revealed the title: The Shawshank Redemption.

Jannah gasped, then she smiled, and took the CD plastic. ‘You do know my taste.’

‘Hey, I know it too!’ said Rachelle, plastering a pretentious sulking expression on her face. ‘She grabbed the CD just a bit faster than I did.’

‘Sure, sure’, said Manisha, smiling and shaking her head, looking at Rachelle’s childish behaviour.

Jannah felt a buzz in her pocket, and she quickly fished out her phone. It was Mother. She held up her hand to her mouth, covering it just enough not to let her friends hear what she said. Mother was greeting her on the phone. ‘Waalaikumussalam,’ replied she.

‘Jannah, I might be coming home late tonight. There’s some work I need to do now,’ said Mother. The weakness of her voice reflected her tiredness.

Mother really needs rest, thought Jannah. ‘The work can’t be done tomorrow.’

There was a sigh. ‘No, it needs to be done tonight.’

Jannah bit her lip. Well, there’s nothing else I can do, she thought, glancing to her friends, who were checking the stuff they had bought, deliberately giving her the private space she needed. At least I’ve got my friends to accompany me. ‘I guess you have to do what you have to do,’ said she. ‘Don’t worry, Mother, I’ve friends with me. I’m not alone.’

‘Thanks, Jannah. Assalamualaikum.’

‘Waalaikumussalam,’ replied Jannah, and ended the line. She put her phone back to her pocket, shifting her attention to her friends. ‘My mother wouldn’t be here soon, she’ll be coming home late.’

‘Aw, that’s sad! I’ve been meaning to met her. Have a conversation, you know?’ said Rachelle, putting the CDs back to the plastic. ‘Maybe that’s a sign for us to watch the movies. Step Up 4 is a good one about hip hop dance. We’re going to watch that first.'

‘Ah, watching your movie first. How am I not surprised by that?’ said Jannah, poking Rachelle at her hip.

‘Ouch! Treat your guests nicely,’ said Rachelle, wiggling her finger to Jannah. The three of them giggled.

Ascending the stairs, they went to Jannah’s room. While they were inside, Manisha was about to close the door when it closed itself hard. The three of them froze. Jannah looked on her study table and saw her notebook opened on a blank page, a pencil hovering over it.

Rachelle cursed; Manisha gasped. Jannah blinked her eyes, and went closer to the table. She looked on the diary, its page illuminated by the white light of the study lamp. Something was written on it.

You are not going to watch movies tonight, it read.

Jannah frowned at that. She turned to her friends and motioned them to join her. Rachelle was the first to make a move, followed by Manisha. Their eyes bulged when they saw what was written on the diary; not mention, the pencil was still hanging in the air.

‘You - you’re right,’ whispered Rachelle.

Manisha just nodded.

The pencil moved, which made both of them stepped back in surprise. Jannah remained at her position, staring intently at the pencil making soft screeches. She wanted to get away from it, but she knew she had to look. She needed to start treating the whatever it was as something that should not be feared. For now, at least.

I heard your mother. I think it is best to take this opportunity in her absence to discuss about what we are facing. The pencil dropped, covering some of the words. She took it and inspected the message. She noticed the handwriting was getting better; in fact, it seemed like the creature was emulating her penmanship style. The words were slightly to left. Perhaps it knew, in some ways, that its handwriting was ugly.

She wrote using the pencil. Her action seemed to encourage the others to watch again what was on the diary. They kept their silence, however.

That is wonderful, she wrote, and glanced at the others, before turning back to the paper. However, it would be nice for us to actually see whom we are discussing with rather than a pencil controlled by unknown forces. She inspected her writing. That was a long one. Finally, she laid the pencil on the table.

It hovered in the same position, and wrote: I agree. The pencil dropped, and a blue light was formed on the paper.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D

I like how this chapter is progressing. I really liked how you brought us back into to the scene and described where we were again and how really not much had changed. It was very clear that she was back in reality and where she was. I also liked that you were able to show some of the different personalities with the friends and you were able to show "normal" between the friends before things started to get a little crazy with the light. The ending of this section was great! I loved the suspense of the door slamming and the writing coming from nowhere and the ominous "you're not going to watch movies tonight", and of course the cliff hanger you put at the end.

My biggest qualms with this chapter part are the little nit-pick things, so I'll highlight some of those things for you.

The bell rang again. Jannah opened her eyes.

This is a really minor thing, but I think this would be smoother as one sentence.

She was back at the living room except that she had not leave it.

comma before "except" and "left" instead of "leave".

Maybe that was what made she think

"made her think"

something was off. She shook her head. No, it was something else. She would investigate this, but first, she had to check who had been ringing the bell.

Why is she so certain it was something else? What evidence does she have that is sparking this idea for her?

It was Rachelle and Manisha.

I think I would show her getting up and actually checking who is at the door. We jumped from Jannah sitting on the couch hearing the bell and then immediately knowing who was at the door.

Sometimes Jannah saw the cars a waste; each one of them had one excluding Manisha, but Manisha had a reason not to drive one.

I think "had one except for" would be a little more clear about what you're trying to say. I think you could break this sentence up because the semi-colon and the comma makes it sound a bit choppy in my opinion. I think you could break the sentence at the semi-colon.
And what is Manisha's reason for not driving a car? If it's a long explanation and it's going to distract from the point of this chapter, I might save this little detail for later in the story and take out the part about her not having a reason to drive one.

Jannah had suggested carpooling with Mother, but due to the gap between Mother’s workplace and her school, it was faster to go like this.

I'm not sure this detail is necessary. Is the car situation and how people get from point A to point B the most important thing right now, or are there other things to focus on?

Jannah opened the door after pushing the button that would let the gate open. Her friends came in, but not with empty hands. Both of them were carrying plastic bags, the white ones that you got in the shopping complex.

I think you could leave this at "Jannah opened the door, and her friends came inside." for simplicity. It says the same thing and it's more concise. Then from there describe the friends in a new sentence - "They were both carrying plastic bags from the shopping complex." Clear. Concise :)

What had they buy?

"bought" instead of "buy"

‘It’s been half a year since I met you and this is the first time I go to your house,’

Instead of "I go to your house" you could do "I've been to you house" or "I've seen your house" or "I've gone to your house".

Mother was greeting her on the phone. ‘Waalaikumussalam,’ replied she.

New paragraph here because you've started a conversation. Show mom's greeting, then do a new paragraph for Jannah's reply. I've mentioned the language thing before and Mea already mentioned inversions :)

‘The work can’t be done tomorrow.’

I'm pretty sure this is a question not a statement, right? So don't forget a question mark instead of a period :)

‘My mother wouldn’t be here soon, she’ll be coming home late.’

"My mother won't be here soon, she is working late." Saying she won't be here soon and she's coming home late are redundant because they both refer to when the mom is going to come home. Tweaking the second part to say she's working late explains why she won't be here soon.

While they were inside, Manisha was about to close the door

I don't think you need "while they were inside" because I think that's implied.

Manisha just nodded.

I've noticed Manisha nods a lot :) She doesn't say as much as the other two. I'm starting to get a feel for Jannah and Rachelle's personalities but Manisha doesn't stick out for me.

I would be curious to know her thoughts before she starts writing. Does she really think this is wonderful or is she scared? Does she remember her previous encounter with the light today and now she feels ready and eager for more information (even though before she really didn't know what to think)? Is she happy that the light followed through with it's promise to show itself to her friends? I think it would be interesting to hear a bit more of what's going on inside her head and how she's feeling before she gives her answer.

Overall, intriguing chapter segment. I'm super curious to read on and see what's going to happen next! (Also can't believe I'm about to finally be caught up on this story! Thanks RevMo! :p). Let me know if you have any questions/if anything was confusing, and if you want feedback about something that I didn't mention! :D

TheSilverFox wrote a review...

Good afternoon, Lightsong! Since I've been reviewing an endless wave of poetry these days, and neglecting the novel chapters that have been ignored and drifting aimlessly about the Green Room, I thought I'd chance my strategy and focus on, well, novel chapters!

And, in that respect, this is fairly impressive. Great job! Your sense of characterization is marvelous, particularly when it comes to your portrayal of the complex relationship between their three main characters and their friendship. I can picture them fairly easy in my mind, thanks to your description of their actions, reactions, and feelings of respect for the narrator. Jannah's friends sound like nice and cool people to hang out with, and it's cool to see that they went out of their way to provide gifts and joke around, even in the midst of the dissolution of their initial plans by Jannah's mother being unavailable. Their willing to give Jannah some private space is decent of them, and I'm impressed with the way that you emphasize relatively small details like that to convey their characters and nature. The same applies to the weird blue orb that starts writing on Jannah's notebook, in what is evidently not the first time. I admire how you describe its writing style, observance skills, and Jannah's unwillingness to upset it, on top of the respect that everyone treats it.

That has to be my favorite part of the story - your sense of characterization and how to use it. I'm also impressed with the smooth tone and pacing of the story, as well as the fascinating and complex plot. Although I haven't read the previous chapters, I have at least a small idea as to what this blue orb is. However, I'm curious to learn more about it and its intentions and plans, which implies that you're doing a good job of attracting your audience's attention and leaving them curious to see more. The actions of the characters also leaves me curious as to their own involvement, particularly when it comes to Jannah's friends, who seem to have been suspecting the legitimacy of what has weird incidents, but now know otherwise.

On the other hand, my major criticism here is that my train of thought was often interrupted over the course of the story. While your grasp of English is totally fine, and these were often minor interruptions, it sometimes felt like you were struggling for the proper word or sentence. For instance, the opening paragraph was a little confusing, especially when you said "It was a dream." Given this story is entirely in the past tense, does this refer to Jannah's present situation, or an actual, previous dream? In the case of the latter, "It had been a dream" is more appropriate. Otherwise, many of these errors were minor mistakes, usually involving a proper verb tense ("I’ve been meaning to met her," when it should be "meet"), and those simply involve a proofread and analysis of your writing to correct. Since I know your English skills are fantastic (it took me a while to figure out that you spoke it as a second language, haha), that shouldn't be a problem at all. Personally, I'm not exactly sure I like the usage of "said she" over the course of this story - it is correct, but is often used for stories with more formal tones and implications, and it doesn't seem all that appropriate here.

Otherwise, well done! This was a refined, well-written novel chapter, and I enjoyed reading it from start to finish! Well done on creating complex, fun characters, and developing a thorough and fascinating plot with lots of questions to keep the audience interested. Keep up the good work, and thanks for this chapter! :D

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 am
Mea wrote a review...

Yay! Discussion and exposition (I assume) will be forthcoming!

You said in chat this was unedited, and to be honest, I can tell - you have a few more awkward sentences in here than usual. Also, you should totally talk to me about the idiosyncrasies of the English language whenever because yeah, cool and interesting.

I don't have much to say about the actual plot right now, just because this is such a short segment. I'm enjoying the banter between Jannah, Rachelle, and Manisha. It's just fun. :D

If I had to pick something to critique, I'd tell you to add a bit more setting description. I want to know more about what Jannah's house and the street she lives on look like. I had a bit of a hard time picturing what you were saying about the cars because I've been living in the city for too long and I've forgotten about things like driveways. :P More seriously, I just didn't know there was a driveway, and I still don't know what it looks like.

Your beginning paragraph was confusing, I think because of odd sentence structure.

Also, I don't remember if I've told you this before, but direct narrator thoughts, like "At least I've got my friends to accompany me" are usually put in italics in third person narratives, to distinguish them from the rest of the prose. You can get away with not doing it, but it is an option.

Your Favorite, Technical Things!

What had they buy?

Correct tense is 'bought.'

She laid three pieces of plastic-wrapped CDs.

Unless the CDs are broken and are literally in pieces, the word 'pieces' is entirely unnecessary.

replied she.

...Okay, I admit it, I'm just picking this out to annoy you. :P We've discussed inversions.

I know this is counterintuitive, but 'you're' is only ever a contraction of 'you are,' and not 'you were.' (And in this case it would make more sense to be past tense.) So this should be "You - you were right,"

Honestly, it's mostly the first couple of paragraphs that could use some reworking. The rest of this is pretty smooth. Looking forward to the next part!

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality