z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Ruby of Revenge [Part 3]

by Lightsong


The journey to the Keeper’s house was wonderfully intriguing. The path to it was devoid of hindrances; dark brown soil laid out like a carpet for them, and the air was made vibrant with songs from the mockingbirds. Destiny felt it only took a few minutes to get to the Keeper’s house as she was too absorbed in taking in the beauty of the forest—the iridescent trees lining, the grass at her sides seemed to sparkle, the sky was like a diamond roof, reflecting lights to create rainbow colours, and fragrances that mingled in the air was of lavender and jasmine, and several more she couldn’t identify, all of them pleasant. The forest looked different now that Regalia was here. Perhaps the somewhat distressing atmosphere it held was Regalia’s doing? It didn’t matter now that she was a step closer to getting the ruby.

Once the house was within her sight, the juxtaposition of its shabby gray, lacking other colours, with nature surrounding it was shocking; the house with a brick, downward V-shaped roof, a wooden door at the front wall, and two clearly rusty windows at its sides was the Keeper’s house, the one who was supposed to keep Ruby of Revenge? Destiny felt the contrast was deliberate, but for what reasons, she didn’t know.

In front of the door, Regalia spoke out with a dulcet voice. “I am home, Virre.”

Having a brief thought that the door would open by itself, Destiny felt nervousness clinging to her like desperate hands. It opened to reveal a boy with a dim light as his background. Destiny went down, and found she was a bit taller than he. He had a hair as shiny as black pearl, and a skin as white as milk. It was a creepy combination—he looked like someone coming from the dead, what with his mouth too red it looked like he had just drank blood. Everything just seemed to surprise her more and more as her journey continued.

“Welcome back, Regalia,” the boy, Virre, said, his voice a bit squeaky. His attention shifted to her, and he raised an eyebrow. “It seems like we have company... after all this while.”

Destiny got off Regalia’s back, her attention maintained on Virre. She didn’t know what to say and silent seemed the best option right now as she was surrounded by an illusionist wolf and a boy who seemed to be the Keeper of what was arguably the most powerful stone in the world. Her posture was rigid while standing, and she kept her hands from folding into fists although butterflies cheerfully fluttered in her stomach.

Regalia bowed slightly. “We have, indeed. This is Destiny. She has passed the first test, and as we have decided years ago, there should be a following second test.”

Virre scrutinized her with his big black eyes, seemingly drowned in his thought, as Destiny waited for his next action.

“Very well,” he said, finally. He turned around, held up his hand and gestured for them to come in. “We should proceed to the second test as soon as possible.”

Regalia followed him with Destiny behind her, and after he closed the door, she looked around. The house interior was dependent on the two windows at the front, and two more etched from the side walls. They didn’t provide allow much light into the house, and it seemed to her Virre like his house dimly-lit, as there were only three brightened candles on the table at the middle of the living room. At each side of the table was a wooden chair, angularly made not to give pleasure to the sitter, just being the place to sit.

Virre took a sit on one of the chair, Regalia at his side. He gestured to Destiny to sit at the chair in front of them.

Without a word, Destiny rested on the wooden chair. She waited for them to speak up, but they didn’t. Silence hanged around them like a lazy ghost. Regalia, with its eyes withering, didn’t seem bothered with the unspoken Virre. After what felt like an hour, but in actuality half a minute, Virre leaned back, but winced before making his posture rigidly straight. He took a deep breath.

“I have been waiting for this moment, for the stone to be in the worthy hand. It has been half a century...” he trailed off, gazing at something behind Destiny dreamily before shaking his head. He chuckled. “Ah, I shouldn’t be nostalgic at this moment. Wait here.” He went to the corner of the room and uttered something while staring down at the stone floor. It cracked, a huge part of the stone detached itself from the floor, allowing him to go down through the square hole it made.

Destiny blinked. She was not used to seeing magic casually made. Only a few people used magic in her village, Blackwood, and they didn’t fancy themselves to show it off; they demonstrated magic only when it was necessary.

Being silent appeared to be working. Who knew, perhaps Virre wasn’t just a Keeper, and any action from her that annoyed him would give perilous result Maybe he had his own magic, one that was specialized in torturing people. And why did he become the Keeper? Was he chosen by the creator of the stone, or did he stumble on it in his journey or something of that sort? She had piles of questions eager to fit in her mind, but she casted them aside. She wasn’t here for the Keeper; she was here for the ruby.

Regalia stood on its four legs, its eyes on her. It still didn’t say anything. She could only assume the guardian only spoke when it was necessary, and she was glad, because she found most talkative people in Blackwood to produce irritating noise rather than crucial information. Despite her determination to focus solely on the item she sought for, another question creeped into her mind like an inevitable fly over a delicious food. How did Regalia meet Virre, actually? Surely he didn’t originally live here, did he?

She heard a sound of friction and turned her attention to the magical stone floor. The squarish stone had laid on the floor, and Virre emerged from the hole. He walked to them and the stone fitted itself into the hole. He held a chalky gray satchel and laid it gently on the table. Destiny narrowed her eyes at it, wondering what was in it, then, her eyes widening, heart thumping, she suspected it was—

Virre chuckled—her face must had been painted with jubilant excitement. He patted the satchel, humming satisfyingly. “Inside this,” he said, his voice a loving caress, “is the Ruby of Revenge you desperately want. You can have it—”

Dismissing any act of caution, she reached it before he pulled it away. She looked up to find a disapproving frown on his face. “I’m not finish yet. You can have it, but in one condition. Never, ever look into the satchel. You can feel it, but you can’t open it. You are permitted to do so when the right time arrives.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:34 pm
View Likes
Sujana wrote a review...



THIS

IS

WAY OVERDUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

which is why I am reviewing it now, after finally finishing your first three parts (ask me if you want me to review those too--I have a couple of things to say about that, but not now at the very least).

I felt that Ruby of Revenge, up until this point, has something going for itself like all works, but it blunders somewhat in how to introduce this concept and make the readers genuinely appreciate the work. Most of this involves how the characters are fleshed out (at least from what I've read--I feel like I ought to have read other works in preparations for this, but since you published it as a short story I'm forced to treat it like a short story), the somewhat murky worldbuilding, and the motivations overall. However, that's for the second part of this review. Firstly, the highlights:

-"Destiny went down, and found she was a bit taller than he." Honestly, this isn't wrong on a technical level, but since we're not using fancy language here I suggest you change the 'he' at the end to a 'him'. I don't know, maybe you are aiming for very high language, but as a whole I didn't get that feeling so to have the almost archaic (but not wrong) use of 'he' instead of 'him' pulled me out for a bit.

-"She didn’t know what to say and silent seemed the best option " Silence, not silent.

-"She has passed the first test, and as we have decided years ago, there should be a following second test." There's nothing wrong grammatically in this sentence, but it just didn't come out as very natural to me because it was coming out of a character's mouth. It just sounds like random exposition to me, and it's very obvious.

-"They didn’t provide allow much light into the house" Delete 'provide' or 'allow'.

-"it seemed to her Virre like his house dimly-lit" Liked, not 'like'.

-"He gestured to Destiny to sit at the chair in front of them." I think you should use 'on', not 'at' in this case.

-"I have been waiting for this moment, for the stone to be in the worthy hand." 'The worthy hand' sounds a little off. 'Worthy hands' might be better (without 'the').

-"any action from her that annoyed him would give perilous result Maybe he had his own magic" Period between 'result' and 'Maybe'.

And now, to the nitty gritty:

Okay, so I just wanted to talk to you about some issues I've had overall. Take my word with a grain of salt, as I have no idea what I'm doing, either, but I just wanted to point these out.

-Characters: Okay, so what I've observed from this short story as a whole is that the characters speak like the text. This would be all well and good if a) it was in first person, which means that the character is thinking up the text, so it makes sense that the character speaks the way they talk, or b) the text is very informal and seems more like dialogue than anything. However, in your case I can't say either is true, so it is admittedly difficult to get into that dialogue. "But Ellstar!" you scream, "Fantasy is supposed to be made up of people who speak very fancily!" I will admit that, for the most part, that is true, fantasy has variation in language. A peasant won't speak the same way as a king, a knight won't speak the same way as a rebel, and so there's enough color in the world that the text doesn't feel monochrome. However, as far as I've seen, there's very little variation between how Destiny speaks, how Vierre speaks and how Regalia speaks.

It would be another matter entirely if the character actually spoke like Yoda, or a classic book where everybody speaks incredibly gravely, but the problem is there isn't much difference between your text and your dialogue. Your characters sometimes don't speak like characters, they speak like an author putting words in a character's mouth. The best writers know how to lie well enough that the readers act like their work's the truth--we have to believe that your characters are 'real', as in we actually feel their struggles and want them to succeed. Dialogue is important in achieving this 'realness'--the more characters talk like normal people, the more you believe they are people. There are special cases, of course, but even then those special cases still fall to a pattern. A wise person may not talk like a normal person, but they will generally speak in aphorisms and quotes that show the audience that they are wise, and they'll stick to that pattern. A lower education person won't speak like a normal person, either, but generally they might get their grammar wrong or speak in slang, and they'll stick to that pattern. The audience still believes it. It does not come off as incredibly strange. However, in your case, it's very difficult to believe that.

There are many ways to fix this. If you don't know how to make the dialogue sound a bit more natural, character development is the way to go. Right now, while I do know that the main character wants to help the children at her orphanage with a powerful stone, I don't know much else about her. I'm looking at her like a person doing something instead of a friend doing something, it's hard for me to care. So if you could develop that relationship between the main character and the audience a little more, that would mostly apologize for the strange dialogue.

-Worldbuilding: Generally speaking, the worldbuilding here is a little iffy. I'm still not sure about the mechanics of the Ruby of Revenge, or the history behind it. Usually, I wouldn't need to, because there's something more important to occupy my attention, but seeing as there is little else to occupy my attention, the focus is shifted onto the ruby itself. Maybe you already have, maybe you haven't, but from what I've read I think you could use a little bit more description regarding the lore surrounding the ruby itself--what it's supposed to do specifically, how it came into existence, that sort of thing. It would make everything overall more interesting and lively.

Okay, so so far that's all I can say about this work. I might go on to review the fourth one if you like, since I've done goofed and delayed this one for so long, but that's up to you.

Sincerely,

EM.




Lightsong says...


Thanks for the review! Hmm, sure, please review the fourth one if you like. :P



User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Sun May 29, 2016 2:11 pm
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hi, Lightsong my name is jessiebear and I am here to give you a great review. Oh and if I say any thing rood in this review pleas tell me because I don’t mean to be rood at all. Okay lets get started with what can be fixt.

Okay I am going to pick out sections out of your short story and I will say what needs to be fixt okay lets start.
Okay the words witch are in bold are the words that have been corrected.


The journey to the Keeper’s house was wonderfully intriguing. The path to it was devoid of hindrances; dark brown soil laid out like a carpet for them, and the air was made vibrant with songs from the mockingbirds. Destiny felt it only took a few minutes to get to the Keeper’s house as she was too absorbed in taking in the beauty of the forest—the iridescent trees lining, the grass at her sides seemed to sparkle, the sky was like a diamond roof, reflecting lights to create rainbow colours, and fragrances that mingled in the air was of lavender and jasmine, and several more she couldn’t identify, all of them pleasant. The forest looked different now that Regalia was here. Perhaps the somewhat distressing atmosphere it held was Regalia’s doing? It didn’t matter now that she was a step closer to getting the ruby.

Once the house was within her sight, the juxtaposition of its shabby grey, lacking other colours, with nature surrounding it was shocking; the house with a brick, downward V-shaped roof, a wooden door at the front wall, and two clearly rusty windows at its sides was the Keeper’s house, the one who was supposed to keep Ruby of Revenge? Destiny felt the contrast was deliberate, but for what reasons, she didn’t know.


Okay these two paragraphs need more description in them. Like you can describe the house. but I liked how you described the surroundings I have to day you are getting better. :D
Okay next!! :wink:

Having a brief thought that the door would open by itself, Destiny felt nervousness clinging to her like desperate hands. It opened to reveal a boy with a dim light as his background. Destiny went down, and found she was a bit taller than he. He had a hair as shiny as black pearl, and a skin as white as milk. It was a creepy combination—he looked like someone coming from the dead, what with his mouth too red it looked like he had just drank blood. Everything just seemed to surprise her more and more as her journey continued.

“Welcome back, Regalia,” the boy, Virre, said, his voice a bit squeaky. His attention shifted to her, and he raised an eyebrow. “It seems like we have company... after all this while.”


Now in these paragraphs I like how you have described your characters masons. :D You really opened up there feelings. so that is really good.

Being silent appeared to be working. Who knew, perhaps Virre wasn’t just a Keeper, and any action from her that annoyed him would give perilous result Maybe he had his own magic, one that was specialized in torturing people. And why did he become the Keeper? Was he chosen by the creator of the stone, or did he stumble on it in his journey or something of that sort? She had piles of questions eager to fit in her mind, but she casted them aside. She wasn’t here for the Keeper; she was here for the ruby.

Regalia stood on its four legs, its eyes on her. It still didn’t say anything. She could only assume the guardian only spoke when it was necessary, and she was glad, because she found most talkative people in Blackwood to produce irritating noise rather than crucial information. Despite her determination to focus solely on the item she sought for, another question kreeped into her mind like an inevitable fly over a delicious food. How did Regalia meet Virre, actually? Surely he didn’t originally live here, did he?

She heard a sound of friction and turned her attention to the magical stone floor. The squarish stone had laid on the floor, and Virre emerged from the hole. He walked to them and the stone fitted itself into the hole. He held a chalky grey satchel and laid it gently on the table. Destiny narrowed her eyes at it, wondering what was in it, then, her eyes widening, heart thumping, she suspected it was—

Virre chuckled—her face must had been painted with jubilant excitement. He patted the satchel, humming satisfyingly. “Inside this,” he said, his voice a loving caress, “is the Ruby of Revenge you desperately want. You can have it—”

Dismissing any act of caution, she reached it before he pulled it away. She looked up to find a disapproving frown on his face. “I’m not finish yet. You can have it, but in one condition. Never, ever look into the satchel. You can feel it, but you can’t open it. You are permitted to do so when the right time arrives.”

Now these paragraphs are really great but I think that need a little work. I think they need a little bit more description I think you should ad some smell, touch and site. :D now that is all most of the work is just you needing to ad more description into some of the paragraphs. :D I am looking for word to reading part 4 and good luck.

So that is all thank you. :D I hope you will keep on righting great work. I am looking for word to reading more of your of your fantastic work. I hope you have a great day are night.

From your friend jessiebear. :D




User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm
View Likes
Sins wrote a review...



Finally, I hath arrived!

The fact that you update this so infrequently *shakes fist* yet I don't have trouble recalling what happened in the last parts of this story is a really good thing, and definitely highlights your writing abilities. When something is posted in quite slow bits, I tend to have to read back over older bits to refresh my memory, but I don't have to with this because each part is really memorable. So yay for that! I loved the way you made Destiny all questioning and stuff when she entered the house too because that's nice and realistic. In that situation, we'd all have a million questions running though our heads, so it's nice that you showed that in Destiny. I loved the ending of this part too because it was all dramatic and super intriguing. Another nice part, for sure :)

For critiques... Hm, I don't know if this is just me, but this didn't seem to be as long as other parts and not heaps and heaps happened, so I may not be super useful. Alas, I will try. I suppose one nit-picky thing I can start off with is your description of the forest in the beginning of this. The description itself was great and a really pretty thing to read, but it was confusing because after describing it so magically, you referred to it as distressing for Destiny. The sentence before that it was described as beautiful and mystical, so the sudden jump seemed random and abrupt because everything up to that point didn't hint at any distress. Then after referring to it as distressing, you went on to refer to it as beautiful again. That just needs a bit of clearing up, methinks.

This next critique is more of an overall general one really, as opposed to specific to this chapter, but I really feel like we need to know more about Destiny. We got a bit of insight into her life at the very beginning of this story (she lives in an orphanage, if I remember correctly, with cruel carers), but since then we've had nothing. Every since Destiny went off on her journey, I don't recall her thinking about any of her life 'back home' once. While I understand her main focus at the moment is this Ruby of Revenge, she'd at least think a little bit about her life and what not. In fact, isn't her motivation for finding it related to that? From what I remember, the motivation is to improve her life (and the rest of the children at her orphanage). As such, it's even stranger for her to completely dismiss that now she's on her journey. I'm not sure if this is making much sense, but I basically just want to know a lot more about Destiny and what's going on outside this quest, y'know?

Finally, the revelation that no one has ever passed the first test (of saving Regalia) in this chapter seemed a bit far fetched to me. While I know the reason for people failing was due to being lured in by the glint of the house, surely someone would've resisted before now. Considering this stone seems to be a massive deal, and something that everyone knows about, it seems like loads of folk would've tried their shot at this. As such, knowing that not a single one passed the first test seems a little unrealistic to me. Especially now we know there's more than one test required to get this stone, a few slipping through the net with the first one is fine. I'm probably massively overthinking this, so apologies if I am, but it just stuck out as a little odd to me.

Anywho, it's like the middle of the night here and I should really be in bed, so imma love you and leave you. Hopefully some of my rambling has been of use, and as always, be sure to let me know if you've got any questions or comments regarding this review. I look forward to the next part, and am dearly hoping you upload that one a bit more quickly than past parts ;)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins/Sins/idek anymore





Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash