z

Young Writers Society


12+

Three AM

by LifeUnknown


Putt.

Putt. Putt. Putt. Putt. Putt.

I jump off my bed and flatten myself on the floor. My heart is racing.

Bump. Bump. Bump.

Fear consumes me, consumes us. We act then. The light in the living room is switched off. The TV too. The house, which was full of life just a few seconds ago, is dead silent. No one moves, then the dog is barking at the window.

"I'm on the floor." I tell my dad because I know he is worried.

My bed is right next to both the windows in my room. It high, too. This doesn't sit well with either of my parents. I know they hate this, we all do.

It's late, or early, whatever you think three AM is. We had spent all night decorating the house for Christmas. Now mom and dad are watching a movie, my sister is in her room doing whatever she does, and I'm in my room writing.

None of us really know the time. Some days it seems to flow differently for us. Like tonight. It would have continued this way if we hadn't heard them.

The gunshots.

They were too close, so of course we did. I heard them the loudest, my room silent except for the click of my keyboard.

Click. Click. Click.

Down in the basement with her music playing, my sister hadn't heard them at all. In the living room, they were just barely heard over the sound of the movie.

We are all freaked out. A little scared. Dad is tired, tired of living in this house, no, the neighborhood. He’s tired of living with the worry that one day one of us will get hurt. Mom hates that this happens a lot. Every other week, something happens. A hit and run, a drive by, a police involved shooting, etc. My sister just wants to move. Me, I just hope and pray that my family doesn't get hurt, that no one gets hurt.

My dad says to sleep on the floor. But I don't want to sleep in my room, so I lay on the couch. I stay low as directed and write for another hour or so. It calms me, clears my head. It's my own way to get fresh air.

I'm tired. But I can't stop thinking about gunshots. I can't stop thinking about how they sound. In stories and movies it's always a bang.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

In real life they don't sound like a bang at all. It's a sharp, metallic, putt sound. It's louder too. Scarier, they are always scarier. Maybe that's because they are real.

I wish it was a movie. That the sound I heard was a bang, instead of a putt. That way I could sleep. I know though, that it was real. I can still hear them, in my head. So, instead of sleeping, because that won't happen, I write this. Hoping, wishing, wanting, to hear anything else. I don't, and I know I'll fall asleep with the sound of the gunshots as a lullaby.

Putt.

Putt. Putt. Putt. Putt. Putt.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 7867
Reviews: 159

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:52 pm
GreenLight24 wrote a review...



Wow. This is really a touching piece. It makes ya think about how some ppl are forced to live these days. I won't be reviewing this based on grammar or anything like that, simply because I believe those types of reviews don't do much to help writers such as the ones here, already being knowledgeable about those things. I would much rather talk about the thematic value and narrative value of a piece. And so, we begin.

First off, as a said, I loved this piece's tone. It seemed like this was something you have actually experienced, and that made the experiencing of having heard gunshots that much more of a reality to the reader. It was cool how you made a largely unknown event seem a little bit more familiar. Honestly, if you have experienced this, I am sorry. And it takes major courage to write about an experience like this. Now, if you haven't actually experienced this, you've got some major talent here. Either way, it was very well written. You did a grata job of taking is into the narrator's mind. Great job! I can't really find much that I didn't enjoy about this. Fantastic work!!!




LifeUnknown says...


Oh, thanks, I am really glad that you liked it. And I have experienced this, and I'm glad that what I was trying to do which was put the reader sort of in my shoes. Thanks for the review.



GreenLight24 says...


Np. Very nice job! :D



Random avatar

Points: 17243
Reviews: 328

Donate
Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:07 am
deleted30 wrote a review...



Hi! Lucrezia here to review.

Wow, that was GOOD. Really good. I loved how you began with the "put"s and ended with them. Really made it feel complete. I have friends that live in "rougher" neighborhoods where this kind of thing happens on a regular basis, and they feel the same way as your character here. So, points for realism! ;)

Okay, now for the nitpicks.

"My bed is right next to both the windows in my room. It high too."

I'm guessing you meant to write, "It's high, too."

"Dad is tired, tired of living in this house, no the neighborhood."

Typo alert: "no this neighborhood" doesn't make any sense.

"Me, I just hope that no one is hurt; I hope and pray that my family doesn't get hurt."

This is a bit repetitive. You might want to change it to, "Me, I just hope and pray my family doesn't get hurt, or anyone else." Something like that.

Those were pretty much the only nitpicks that I have.

"I can still hear them, in my head. So, instead of sleeping, because that won't happen, I write this. Hoping, wishing, wanting, to hear anything else. I don't, and I know I'll fall asleep with the sound of the gunshots as a lullaby."

I quoted this because I felt it was particularly strong. Although this whole piece is really great, the ending I loved most of all. It was written beautifully, and wrapped up your short nicely.

This was epic; awesome work. :)



Random avatar
deleted30 says...


Oh wait, I just got the "no the neighborhood" part. I didn't read it write because there wasn't a comma. I'd put a comma after the "no" to make it clearer. ;)



LifeUnknown says...


Oh this is really helpful. Thanks, and I am glad you liked it.



User avatar
166 Reviews


Points: 1135
Reviews: 166

Donate
Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:04 am
Cheetah wrote a review...



Hello LifeUnknown, Cheetah here to review your story!

I enjoyed reading this. It was simple, and it was captured in a moment. I liked that. I also liked the 'Putts.' that were at the beginning and end of this story. It creates a dramatic tension and makes it feel more real.

It was, however, missing a certain essence. What's the time period? Maybe you could provide clues to that and the reason there's always gunfire. Does it have to do with where they live?

The house, which was full of life just a few seconds ago, is dead silent. No one moves; the dog is barking.

This part seems to contradict itself a bit. It says the house is dead quiet that no one moves, but then it says the dog is barking? This is easily fixed, just make it clearer or slash 'the dog is barking' part.

This was really good! I look forward to reading more of your works! :D

~Cheetah




LifeUnknown says...


Thanks, I fixed it. I'm looking at it, trying to find a way to give it some more essence. When I do, I'll be sure to edit it.



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:58 pm
Messenger says...



That was beautiful!




LifeUnknown says...


I'm glad you liked it, thanks!




Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero