This work has been locked

It's A Crow!

by Lib

A sixty year old man was sitting with his forty-five year old son on a couch that he had ever since his son was born. A crow was perched on the window sill and the old man noticed it. 

"Son, what is this?" The old man asked.

"A crow." The son said lovingly. A little while later, the old man asked again. And the son replied, but not so lovingly. Then, the old man repeated his question.

"A. Crow." The son said sternly. 

His father asked one more time, "Son, what is that?" 

"It's a crow! I've told you four times already! Do you not understand!?" The son sounded exasperated as if he wanted to get out of that house and never hear: Son, what is that? over and over again. , He scowled. The old man smiled and got up. He walked to his room and took out an old diary in which he always noted all the stuff his son did as he grew up. From his birth to the first time he tied his shoes to the first time he went to school. Everything!

"Read this." The old man told his son. His son snatched the book from his hands and read the section that his father had opened up.

12/3/76

Today, my son came to me and asked me

what the thing was on the window sill. It was

a crow. He kept on repeating this question

thirty-two times. And, I lovingly gave him my

answer thirty-two times.

The son looked at his father, ashamed of how he had acted. "I'm s-sorry." A tear rolled down his cheek. His loving father smiled and wiped it away. Pulling him close, into a hug, "It's okay, son." He whispered.

This work has been locked

Teddybear wrote a review...

Hey, hi, hello! So, I'm going to start by saying that this work wasn't in the least "bad", I really enjoyed it! But I will be doing a whole lot of nitpicking and whatnot here, so just know that everything I point out is either a minor or intermediate problem, that is to say, none of this is major or story-breaking in any way.

That said, I will also apologize in advance for any hints of mean-spirited sarcasm or otherwise uncalled for aggression you detect throughout this review. I've been trying to deliver things in a kinder tone, but I will occasionally slip back into old habits and I thought it was only fair to warn you about that tendency.

We'll start with your intro, "A sixty-year-old man was sitting with his forty-five-year-old son on a couch that he had ever since his son was born. A crow has perched on the window sill and the old man noticed it. "

My first instinct here was to check their ages, since I already had my calculator out from doing that very thing with my characters (I found a rather nonsensical gap of nineteen years between Briar and Carlson, which, given the backstory I set up for them, would have caused a few continuity errors later on). When I did that I came up with a fifteen-year age difference between this father/son duo. Because that would mean that the father was fifteen when his son was born, the only explanations I can come up with is either 1) the father was a VERY disobedient fifteen-year-old who fathered a child at that age, 2) the father adopted a five or six year old in his early twenties because he wanted a kid but he didn't want an infant, or 3) same as two but this time it's because he just fell in love with this particular child.

If you don't want to change the ages, then maybe it would be best to imply one of those explanations. you don't have to, of course, it just kinda stood out to me specifically because I almost made the same mistake in my own work. (I'm just glad I had to age-check for chapter eight, else I would have had a bit of a problem on my hands).

Another thing about your introduction (I know, I linger a lot) is the lack of a hook. With a story this short, the hook ought to be in the first couple of lines at most and it's just...not there. The father and son are sitting on a couch, I'm sorry, an old couch when the father notices a crow on the windowsill. That's what happens in the first paragraph. Now, it is possible for you to not change that and also make the readers want to keep reading for reasons other than it's a review site and that's why we're here. The first way is to add some characterization into the opening. Maybe have the son repeatedly refreshing a page on his phone to demonstrate the impatience that comes into play when the father asks him what's in the window. Or maybe have the old man already reading form the journal to foreshadow the ending (don't forget to cut out the part where he gets up to retrieve it if you decide to do that).

Or, if doing that is something you, for whatever reason, don't want to do, then maybe some heavier description would serve you well here. Describe the couch. Instead of saying that it had been around since the son was born, describe the age-worn surface of the cloth, leather, or whatever else it's made of. Have the son absently run his finger up and down a rip in the side where the long-dead cat had scratched it up? Show me the old man's eyes as they fill with nostalgia when he looks down at the marker stains on the arms of the couch. Or describe the day, how the air is musty and dry with heat. How the sunlight streams through the window, only to be suddenly blocked by the blackbird as land there.

Anyway, I think I've dwelled long enough in the first paragraph, so I'll move on.

"Then, the old man repeated his question."

This part I don't have to talk so much about. I just think it would work better as its own paragraph. The only reason I can give it that it's more dramatic, and I'm a sucker for drama.

Onward!

""It's a crow! I've told you four times already! Do you not understand!?" The son yelled, suddenly getting up and scowling."

Maybe it's just a 'my-mom-works-with-old-people' thing, but I'm slightly off-put by the fact that the son doesn't even consider the possibility that his aging father might be getting early-onset dementia or something of the sort. Again, it could just a be a me thing. I mean, not everyone immediately thinks of dimension the moment anyone over fifty forgets something they shouldn't. I just figured that I should point it out anyway because it can be pretty useful to know what stands out to your readers, and this stood out.

But I'll move on.

"The old man smiled and got up. He walked to his room and took out an old diary in which he always noted all the stuff his son did as he grew up."

I would leave the contents of the diary to be explained through dialogue rather than just simply stating it in the narrative. Have the son ask what it is, then have the father explain. I just think that makes more sense than just having it stated plain and simple.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Goodbye and happy writing!

GigiNicole17 wrote a review...

Liberty!

It's me again..lol I'm not one fore short stories, but I love this story. Like literally EVERYBODY else said, I love that you took a short story and made is really sweet, and short, but also to the point. I like the imagery and the symbolization that you used. And I think it's incredible how you did that with such a short story. I loved...not like I don't love all your writings..lol Great job!

~Gigi, The Jesus Freak

Lib says...

Lol, thanks! <3

GigiNicole17 says...

np <3

Lib says...

(:

Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 am
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hi there Liberty! Hope you're doing well.

I'm a big fan of short stories, and I'm always impressed when I read a story as short as this that has a big message and a point. Not much happened, but it meant something, and it was touching. I like the incorporation of the mistake of being harsh to someone without realizing what they've done for you. And I really liked how you managed to use that so simply and rather effectively!

There's not much to comment on, but the one thing I do want to say is on the son's initial reaction. Perhaps he had a bad day or he's a generally grumpy person, but why so stern? His father was only asking about a crow. At least for me, it might be a liiittle annoying but not so much where I would lash out at someone. It's part of the sentiment and the story - his lashing out is needed for him to learn about the reverse roles. But that foundation felt a little wobbly and unrealistic to me. Maybe shifting the emotion from mad (scowling, yelling, jumping up) to exasperated (rolling eyes, huffing) would pull away from the harsh reaction.

My only other comment would maybe be to expand on the "loving" phrase. It's used 4 times, which is quite a lot for the length of this. Even removing one or two and replacing with "kind eyes" or "a kind heart" could strengthen the language a little.

Those are really the only critiques I have! I really liked the sentiment from this story and it provides an important message that everyone can apply differently to their lives - friendships, family, romantic relationships, pets. Well done!

Hope this helps you out - if not for this piece, maybe for future short stories!

~ EternalRain

Lib says...

Thanks for the review! :smt003

Thu May 09, 2019 4:04 am
Tawsif wrote a review...

Wow, that's an amazing story!

I don't know if you need any reviews for this, but I'll do it anyway.

There's a common advice we all writers hear: Use strong verbs instead of strong adverbs. Don't tell, rather show.

I'll give you the same piece of advice. You used adverbs like 'lovingly', 'sternly' in the speech of the son. You could use different ways to express this same idea. Like:

"A. Crow." The son said sternly.

See how the following sounds:

"A. Crow." The voice of the son was now stern.

Don't take me wrong, Liberty. I did like the story very much. And do let me know how you heard it.

Keep writing.

Lib says...

Oh okay, I get what you mean. Thanks!

AdrienneW says...

I love how you managed to write a simple story in a way that feels complete and finished. I also like how you were able to express the emotion and affection of the two characters in such a small space. Great job!

Lib says...

Dilbert64 says...

I like how complete this story feels in such a short space of time. Also, this story is really sweet.

Lib says...

Thanks1

The human heart has hidden treasures, in secret kept, in silence sealed...
— Charlotte Bronte