z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

what is a woman?

by Ley




i asked a man once

"what is a woman?"

he said:

~

"women are vessels,

like ships in the north sea,

and men are the waves.

.

women are weak,

like the old, rusted bench,

at your local park.

.

women are the cattle,

in the large meadows,

getting chased by wolves.

.

women create life."

~

but how could i be a vessel,

in your oceans,

without drowning?

.

how could i be weak,

like the playground bench,

when i am tenacious?

.

how could i be cattle,

in the open meadows,

if i am the sheep?

.

how could i bear a child,

in this cruel world,

if i can’t even bear myself?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 6

Donate
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 pm
View Likes
AraWolf says...



That was really good! Nice! I will definitely be reading more of your poems!




Ley says...


Thank you! :D



AraWolf says...


no problem!



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 573
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:05 am
View Likes
DevilBeMyDarling wrote a review...



Just want to say this is soo good.
In the modern day world, there are so many unrealistic expectations for women in life, just existing and living the same as everyone else and yet men sometimes demand such ridiculous things. Cookie cutter perfect shapes are expected, but what happens if we don't fit?
It's such an interesting and slightly retrospective look into feminism and misogyny, and the style you portrayed it in was quite beautiful, rhetorical questions, rephrasing, the poetry sort of line breaks. It really helps emphasize the whole situation. Love your comparisons as well, this is actually incredible!
All the best,
DevilBeMyDarling




Ley says...


Thank you! I normally don't write poetry, so I'm glad you enjoyed! :D



User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 6464
Reviews: 71

Donate
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:12 am
View Likes
Youbeaucupid wrote a review...



Hiii There Leya! Cupid here, thought I'd hop on this train of thought and give you a short review!

So for me I really love the idea you posed by challenges the stereotypes and misconceptions surrounding women and you portrayed it so beautifully and powerful, Especially the imagery used, such as ships, benches, etc effectively contrast the views of the man.

I also love how you highlights the strength and resilience of women, questioning the limitations imposed by society. And the repetition of the phrase "how could I" is just WOWW! It really adds and creates a strong sense of self-reflection and defiance. Overall, Leya you did such a wonderful job writing this!! (Now if only you could get my brother to read this :,D)

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed reviewing!

Fly high writer, Cupid.




User avatar
224 Reviews


Points: 15304
Reviews: 224

Donate
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:31 am
View Likes
AkuRashomon says...



heyy! that's a great poem! I like the picture too, did you paint that?




Ley says...


No, I didn't! I wish I was that talented :) xD



User avatar
210 Reviews


Points: 10015
Reviews: 210

Donate
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:16 pm
View Likes
EllieMae wrote a review...



Hi there! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Hey friend, Ellie here :D I decided that I wanted to leave a full review on this piece. I thought it was incredible beautiful to read and think it deserves more than a little comment, hehe. Let's get right into it!!

Top Graham Cracker - What I Know
Let's begin with my impression and interpretation. It begins with a man being asked the question "what is a woman" to which he replies in ways that are quite stereotypical. Women are vessels in the sea, while men are the waves that move and control them. Women are weak and fragile and imperfect and in a broken condition. As if they are lesser versions of men. Women are these cattle being chased by wolves, showing they are the weaker link that is controlled by men, incapable of making their own decisions. And it mentions women as being creators of life, which I interpret as meaning that this is their sole responsibility over their career and passion and opportunity that they could achieve in the world.

The second part of the poem is the writers, or maybe your, response.

but how could i be a vessel,

in your oceans,

without drowning?


this seems to rephrase the mans response. How can I be controlled by you and be engulfed in your dominance, and still remain who I am. How can I exist without being changed by YOU. Instead of focussing on men being waves, this focusses on His Ocean. Like they say, it is a mans world.

how could i be weak,

like the playground bench,

when i am tenacious?


How do you see me as weak, when I am enduring the misery you cause me. How can I be seen an incomplete and flawwed when your hatred is what makes me strong? I may have been burned through a fire, but you only see my scars, not my strength.

how could i be cattle,

in the open meadows,

if i am the sheep?


how can you see me as someone who needs to be herded and chased and eaten, when I am the one worthy of being found. I thought of Jesus leaving the 99 to find the one lost sheep. Its like this part of the poem is saying, you dont see me for who I really am. If you looked for a moment, maybe you would see my potential and my worth.


Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - Room for Improvements
The only specific thing I want to mention is with the formatting. First of all- it is amazing. I love the image that you included at the top. I noticed all paragraphs had three lines exept for the fourth one.

women create life."

Was this done for a certain reason or to make a statement? Maybe consider ending th epoem with asingle line as well to balance it, if you are making a statement. Or add more description, unless you were trying to show the lack of the mans explanation and statement, showing the deepness of the stereotypes.


Chocolate Bar - Highlights of the Piece

Here are my praises. This was lovely! I loved the layout and how you had a response for each of the man's statements. Overall, my favourite paragraph was the last one.

how could i bear a child,

in this cruel world,

if i can’t even bear myself?


that is such a great closing statement. so beautiful

Closing Graham Cracker - Closing Thoughts

Thank you for writing this masterpiece! I look forward to reading more of your works.

Have a lovely day! Merry Christmas!

Take care,
Ellie-Mae




Ley says...


Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words :3



User avatar
210 Reviews


Points: 10015
Reviews: 210

Donate
Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:11 am
EllieMae says...



Beautiful poem!! <33




Ley says...


Thank you love! :D



User avatar


Points: 250
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:51 am
LucidNightmare says...



I like this a lot! It's so thought provoking and awesome!




Ley says...


Thank you so much! :D




I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie