Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Politics

The Free Socialist Manifesto - Introduction and Misconceptions

by LeutnantSchweinehund

Introduction

This work represents the manifestation of Free Socialist ideals. It is little more than a set of beliefs held by myself and my colleagues, and I share it now with the world, piece by piece, as I write each word with honesty at heart, so that others may rejoice in the opportunities offered by our great hopes for the future.

Take what you read with a grain of salt. We are human. We are not perfect. We are inherently ignorant and flawed. Despite this, I hope sincerely that you may find value in an alternative set of ideals.

To those like-minded friends who have supported me and continue to support me to this day still:

I thank you kindly, brothers, for your words of motivation, for your endless masses of unwavering support. You have held my hand through many dangers, through many days where I myself had doubted the great future we so firmly believe in. Your faith is, to me, utterly invaluable, and were it not for your wisdom, I would not stand where I stand today.

I thank you kindly, brothers, for your firmness and for your guidance alike. You have taught me everything I know – to analyze, to doubt, to criticize, to empathize, and to repair with critical thought that which is in essence lacking and in quality ailing. Your knowledge has led me far on this path of reform and revolution. May it lead us onward still.

I thank you kindly, brothers, for your consolation, which has delivered me from personal toils and painful hours in which I could not rest. In those fleeting moments, which now seem so very distant, it was your council that has liberated me from my own inner sanctum. We shall forever stand on the peaks of freedom, halting chaos, together.

To those who would oppose us in our pursuit of better days:

I challenge you, fair opponents, to discuss our differences on neutral ground. May we meet and speak, for that is the foundation of human civilization. Do not fall victim to the false worship of conflict and dramatic retorts. It is a civilized world we live in and civilized it shall remain. Come to us, question us, doubt us and analyze us. We welcome you with open arms.

I challenge you, fair opponents, to think freely, without the words of those proponents of violent debate, or the lack of debate thereof. I ask you not from a position of authority, but from a position of equal ground, to question your own rationalizations of your actions, and the rationalizations of the idols you hold dear, if such idols exist in your minds.

I challenge you, fair opponents, to call foul on my mistakes, for there are undoubtedly many to be found and picked apart. Do so, and you will have my respect. Fail to do so, remain silent in fear of conflict, and ask yourself; what have you done to change the outcome? Challenge us. Debate with us. Fight us. But do so in a manner befitting the world we occupy.

Existence For Whose Sake?

The Free Socialist Manifesto shall stand to be called upon as undesirable and unneeded in the modern world by many of those who are satisfied with current affairs. I do not fall into that group of those happily occupied men and women, and so the duty has fallen upon me to strive for change, for change is life, and it has its charm and place.

In a world of extremes and dramatic attacks of political leaders upon one another, and in a world where political discourse has become little more than a popularized, media-driven affair, resembling, perhaps, a battleground for wretched vultures to prey upon the purposeful ignorance of our world's masses, one might find the need for an ideological revolution quite pressing and actual. I myself, as a citizen of both the Czech Republic and the United States of America, am inclined to agree.

Revolutions are often regarded as being bloodbaths driven by powerful men, serving only to create gaps and opportunities for stragglers among their ranks. One might, for instance, mention the conquest of the Bastille, or perhaps the Austrian revolution – better yet, the fight against unequal bourgeoisie wealth far to the East, orchestrated by a rising tide of proletarians. I would rather call them revolts. While it is true that each had its necessary triggers and goals, and each served a purpose essential to the forming of our current-day world, I would seldom come to calling such chaotic affairs as truly reasonable revolutions. In later parts of the Free Socialist manifesto, you will find our personal definition of a true revolution, and you will see how precisely it differs from those aforementioned displays of brute force.

It is a privilege that in our age of free expression without violent repercussions, we may freely state our claims and openly discuss them with those who would be willing. For that reason, I have come to you with open arms and words to share, as it is my belief that this utopia of free thought and speech has come under fire in these years gone by.

I speak to you not as an expert in the field. I speak to you not as a man educated tirelessly and unwaveringly in every imaginable political matter. I come to you as a concerned citizen, afraid for his nation, and afraid for the rights of his people. You may call me ignorant, you may call me blind, and you would be correct. My words are no more than the ideals of myself and my colleagues, and as truth is objectively subjective, I cannot doubt your assessment, for I am not so qualified.

Part 1 – Misconceptions and Frequent Questions

Before I continue to delve deeper into the intricacies and petty details of the ideals of Free Socialists, it would be appropriate to first thoroughly liquidate any incorrect views one might hold in regards to our view of an ideal future. To continue:

• Are we communist? No, we are not. The idea of Marxist communism is, in our personal, albeit humble opinions, at its very core, flawed. As a citizen of a post-communist country, I believe that, at the very least, past executions of the ideology have led to catastrophic results, and in our view, future executions will be no different.
  • Are we capitalists or extreme socialists? Neither. We are Free Socialists, and we believe in both the state and the individual.
  • Are we socially progressive? Yes. But not regressive. Regressive ideals, especially those popularized Westward of Central Europe, touted as progressive, lead to ideologies reminiscent of an authoritarian dystopia. Freedom, but not at the cost of our rights.
  • Are we militaristic? To the extent of necessity. A strong military force is essential to each nation, and that is a stance we hold very firmly.
  • Are we supportive of technological advancement? Yes. Technology is one of the main pillars of society. We stand to protect the sciences and extra-terrestrial exploration staunchly.
  • Are we supportive of industry? Industry is yet another pillar of society, and just as technological advancements, advancements in industry are, in our view, essential to our progress as a nation.

These are but a few of the most common misconceptions and frequently asked questions about Free Socialism. We are not communists. We are not regressive. We occupy neither the left, nor the right. We are here to fill the gap, to sate the hunger of you unheard moderate citizens, who agree with neither extreme.

We are here not to rule, we are here to create opportunity. That is our view of the future – a future where each citizen may trust his leaders, a future where he may rely on himself, and yet a future where help from his governing force he shall receive.

A future of true equal opportunity, and still individual result!

Hi there, so we've got some socialism thoughts here eh?

Well, let's see what we've got, I'll give some comments going through and then some overall thoughts.

In your opening paragraph here, this turn of phrase is like a "humble-brag"

"It is little more than a set of beliefs held by myself and my colleagues, and I share it now with the world, piece by piece, as I write each word with honesty at heart, so that others may rejoice in the opportunities offered by our great hopes for the future."

You sell yourself short saying this isn't that much, just some beliefs, but then in the end of the sentence hype it up saying this is going to be the great hope of the future with many opportunities.

In other sections in here, the very formal style which reminded me I suppose of some political philosophy I've read didn't make it sound particularly genuine. Instead, it did sound very educated though - so if that's what you're going for then well-done. But adding a section that's a bit more conversational or more of a personal testimony style within it, would help with the genuiness of the piece.

Again I'll echo Stella in saying, the exclusive language here is alienating and doesn't make me want to finish reading what you've written, "I thank you kindly, brothers, for your words of motivation"
Brothers means men. You say it's referring to your "disciples" but this doesn't come through in the piece. Instead it looks like you're saying that you've only ever been supported by men, so I suppose you don't have a mother or a female teacher that has ever helped you or supported you in life. That's a shame. This language use is just ignorant and will likely not help you score more converts. If you're really just referring to your disciples, or followers, and they are all men, then change the language to say "followers" or "disciples" or "comrades".

This line made me laugh a bit, "Do not fall victim to the false worship of conflict and dramatic retorts" -- because your piece is fairly on the dramatic/reverent/worshipful tone so you may want to be a bit more specific on what you are critiquing or warning against, or else head your own advice.

This little section here is gold: "I challenge you, fair opponents, to call foul on my mistakes, for there are undoubtedly many to be found and picked apart. Do so, and you will have my respect. Fail to do so, remain silent in fear of conflict, and ask yourself; what have you done to change the outcome? Challenge us. Debate with us. Fight us. But do so in a manner befitting the world we occupy."
I respect the humility and advocacy for open debate here. Well expressed.

This section also was good, "I come to you as a concerned citizen, afraid for his nation, and afraid for the rights of his people." always nice to sort of "lay your cards on the table" - especially with a piece like this where people's emotions might flare up depending on their political ideologies. By giving out your agenda as well as your motivation for writing such a piece, it cannot be used against you in the same way, and you break down suspicion people might have of your writing. Nice. I didn't think that section needed to be in bold necessarily. But that's just a formatting nod.

I'll be interested if you further this piece (because as is, this appears to just be an introduction or forward) and how you go about saying that you're socialist but marx is flawed. I'd say be careful not to alienate the marxists who might be the most likely to support you. [Division among friends is the most destructive as they say]. But good of you to think on your own feet I suppose - just interested on where that'll go.]

Overall the bullet points at the end didn't seem repetitive to me, but they weren't the first questions I would have thought of. Seemed a bit random actually, and a bit out of place to what the rest of this section of the piece was talking about.

I'd say there's a good start here. You have nice academic flourish and phrasing, with some nice thoughts & what looks like good intentions to back it. Good luck in future writing!

~alliyah

Many thanks indeed! Very nice analysis!

I'll edit out the humble brag. Those are remnants of low self-esteem that must be torn out by the root! And the brothers will be changed to comrades. Sounds better and more fitting for a socialist endeavor anyway.

Same goes for the unfortunate division I created between Free Socialism and Marxism. I need to make sure the difference is known, but I'll do so in a different manner from here on out.

My country, the Czech Republic, is a somewhat socialist state. However, its hatred for communism is unlike any I've seen before. Which may strike some people as odd. That's one of the reasons for writing this manifesto, actually - to spread a form of socialism entirely differing from more extreme, Marxist ideology. I will, however, work on including them as well!

Indeed, there's a chapter on education coming up, and I'd say it is more sincere than this, so far. I'll try to finish it tomorrow.

Thanks matey!

StellaThomas wrote a review...

Hey there, Schweinehund, Stella here for a review!

I'll be honest... I've never read a political manifesto before, so I don't have a lot to compare this to. But as you've put it up for review I'm going to do my best!

The first thing I notice is that in the first sentence you explain that these are the beliefs of "myself and my colleagues" - which I would have assumed meant we were continuing in first person plural - 'we' - but instead we continue in first person singular - "I". I mean, this is fine, although it does make it maybe more of a personal manifesto than that of a political party. Is this the cult of the leader, is the idea to feel more connected to the leader in particular, or to the ideas as a whole? The pronoun you use is going to change that and I'd consider your options carefully.

The next thing I notice - "brothers". Come on, man, it's the 21st century, are we really going to just address men here? What's wrong with "brothers and sisters?" You have instantly alienated half of your intended audience by addressing them like this is a Tolkien novel. Maybe you only want men to be free socialists, but you do address women later on. Something to consider.

Then, your FAQ section - I find you repeating yourself needlessly. You have already moved into bullet-point format so you can be succinct - I don't see any reason for the summary of the FAQ after. I also felt like "Are we progressive? Yes, but not regressive" - the 'but' in this sentence feels unnecessary and not what you need to go for - maybe say, "We are progressive. Many societies in the West claim to be progressive but are in fact regressive". Why would you need to say that you are "progressive but not regressive"? It's a bit like saying "it's hot but not cold." Make sense?

Hope I helped!

- Stella

Thanks! Getting a manifesto reviewed is hellishly difficult, so I appreciate any input I can get!

Indeed, it is both a very personal story and the story of myself and my collaborators. However, as the founder of my so-called 'Free Socialism,' I must present myself as such. The point-of-view breaks are legit mistakes though. I changed it to 'we' halfway through writing, so I may have missed a few points here and there.

As for brothers, brothers is meant in an all-encompassing manner. Just as 'mankind' or 'men' refers to humans in general, my 'brothers' are all who follow me (very few for the moment). Perhaps brethren would have been a better choice. I'll look into it for sure.

May be true about the misconceptions, aye. However, the distinction between progressive and regressive ideology in particular is very important to address, because of rapidly-changing definitions in this day and age. Progressivism, in my view, is the progressivism of the late 20th century, not today's progressivism, which quite frankly makes me ill more than anything.

Definitely helped. I'll especially take a look at the pov breaks, change it all to 'we.' I'll look into the phrasing in future parts of the manifesto (next one is about education reform), definitely will watch out for unnecessary repeats.

So thank you! I appreciate it very much!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
— Walt Disney