z

Young Writers Society



Still In Yesterday

by LetMeLive


I don't understand,
& I've got a headache,
Squeeze the pain from my heart and leave me here cold,
Suddenly this problem is becoming to bold,
What I want is simple,
In its complicated way,
I haven't found what I'm looking for,
At least not today,
But maybe what i want,
Is still in yesterday.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
182 Reviews


Points: 1050
Reviews: 182

Donate
Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:14 pm
Chandni wrote a review...



Well your last two line's were the best I guess :)
Other than that, your rhyming scene is average en the rythem is a bit off as well. Oh yeah what's it with people not capitalizing "I" *pisses me off* anyways rewriting this could do better ;)

Cheerios, Chandni




User avatar
915 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 915

Donate
Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:59 am
Incandescence wrote a review...



LetMeLive,


There's not much to get excited about with this: it is a self-absorbed "woe is me"-type poem about how life has passed you by. This reader does not care enough about the narrator to know whether he or she ate breakfast this morning, much less how he/she has failed to appreciate life.

The whole thing is straightforward reportage, and it breaks away only to give a possible speculation. The whole thing exists at face value, and you're not doing enough with the language to make it anything more than descriptive--in reality, you have failed here as well: proper grammar and spelling should be of primary concern for you when posting a work this short. If you don't care enough about your work to properly edit it, why should we?

In my opinion, the only point where this contains a hint of poetry is the linebreaks--which aren't constitutive of a poem, only its shell.

Notify EPA or hope the fish don't drown in narcissism in whatever river you throw this in.


Best,
Brad




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 72

Donate
Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 pm
luna_the_shiekah wrote a review...



Now you can take my crit witha grain of salt, I don't personally write poetry because I rather suck at it and prefer reading other person's poetry.

Everyone has already pointed out the grammar mistakes and I too find the "&" symbol quite distracting when the word "and" will suit the poem just fine.

I do praise you on making the entire poem rhyme, I've always had trouble with that. It was rather emo also. I don't hate it, but I'm not very sure I like it either.

Rather Switzerland of me isn't it?

LUNA




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:18 pm
Miss*Mary says...



Its really easy to relate to, which in my opinion makes it good, but it is a little hard to follow and is kinda confusing. You might think about rewording it or just changing the way its portrayed. I liked it nevertheless!




User avatar
171 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 171

Donate
Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:46 pm
lexy wrote a review...



LetMeLive wrote:& I've got a headache,
Suddenly this problem is becoming to bold,
What I want is simple,
In its complicated way,
I haven't found what I'm looking for,
At least not today,
But maybe what i want,
Is still in yesterday.


The bits in red are the bits I think you need to change. The & sign isn't appropriate......
"Too bold" not TO
I'm would sound better as I am.....
The stuff I have highlighted in pink is the stuff I really liked that I don't think you should change. Its really sweet and short.
I like how you have used the oxymoron of saying "what i want is simple in its complicated way..." Love it.
Great job xxx




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 21

Donate
Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:38 am
cymbeline_x wrote a review...



I agree with what emotion_less said about the poem seeming to be built around the last line--it was a good last line, I'll give you that. The rest of the poem was empty, though. The commas at the end of every line were distracting, as was the "and" sign and the scattered rhyme scheme.

Try again, I'm sure you have better work.

cx




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 23

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:41 am
sunshine girl wrote a review...



I actually quite liked it despite what everyone else said! :) I agree, it does need a bit of work to make it better, but I thought it did have emotion, and I felt myself relating to it, even if it wasn't the most perfectly written piece of english.




Random avatar

Points: 1078
Reviews: 333

Donate
Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:38 am
emotion_less wrote a review...



having confusing phrases doesn't really make it deep. the last chunk of it especially was kind of hard to grasp.

try not to base a whole poem around one line. it seemed like the whole poem was set up just so you could say your last line. it makes the rest of the poem a little bland while one line stands out.

hope this helps




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:46 pm
pandoraswritings wrote a review...



First of all, put this through spell check.

Never use the &sign, say "and".

"To" should be "too"

Capatalize "I"

Now, I did not like this. It was not very good, to me at least. Try again.

Pandora





Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind