Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Politics

A Thought On Why We Oppose Homosexuality and Lesbianism

by Legibletext

We are all people, we are human. We don’t always love, and that is normal, because some people aren’t born to know how to love, which is unfortunate, but at this rate just the way it is. But it sparks a certain curiosity within me, and I’m sure in others, about what the problem with homophobic people is?

I suppose I can understand that for large portion of this community, their beliefs and ideas about homosexuality are motivated by their religion. It’s what they’ve been raised to believe, I understand that. And I’m certain there would be some kind of logic they behold to support their reasons. But today I’m here to say, as much as I try to accept your views out of respect for freedom of speech; that ‘rational’ view can’t be as plausible as the logical explanation attributed to why our hate on gay people is merely bred from our ye olde survival instincts that have been deeply ingrained in us since the day of the caveman.

In the bible it says ,"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (NKJ, Leviticus) and in the Kiran it is written Qur'an (7:80-84) - "...For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.... And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone)" .Ok, sure. But let’s propose that maybe, just maybe this was written down only because man perceived gay people as a threat, I mean it seems a little obvious doesn't it? Why else would one go to such extreme lengths to enforce something? I mean, stoning a person to death?

This nowadays seems ridiculous to most modern thinkers. But back then the majority would not have thought so. But listen; we are animals. Face it. As sophisticated and intelligent as we are, we will always be, forever more, an asset to the animal community. In saying that, our ways of thinking have increased in complexity over the past few centuries; we have grown from primitive creatures to fancy schmancy polite snobby mammals who think we know what’s best for every living creature.

But once upon a time, all humans lived for was survival, and anything that threatened survival had to be dealt with somehow. If something didn’t seem right, then you had to go and scope it out to see if what a potential danger was. What I mean is, humans are kind of scaredy cats and overly weary of difference. And it all started with the caveman who found that his originally empty cave became a hungry bear’s abode. So that bear had to die. It’s the same today, except we don’t really kill to solve our differences. I mean, just because Johnny called you a name, doesn’t mean you’re going to bludgeon him to death does it? We just have to take a chill pill. Anyway, my point is, I think predominantly people are against gay people because it’s kind of, sort of, but not, but in a way, hereditary. Back in the day of JC almighty! We was all about breeding, bringing in the children! Continue the human race! And that’s what animals strive for to! We are like totally related! Anyway….imagine one day a gay man/woman from ages ago AD comes along and declares “well, this is awkward guys, but I’m gay.” That would threaten survival! But not! I mean, it would in these guys minds, because how is a gay man or woman supposed to make babies if he isn’t up for mating with the opposite sex? See? This would of posed as a threat, and would of become a view that was carried through generations of religious beliefs and (sorry, but I can’t help it) pure ignorance. So now, we either think we know why we don’t like gay people, or we just don’t like people and can’t really explain it because we think it’s wrong or whatever. But what it all comes down to in the end, is that we are nothing more than animals. Animals who don’t like threats, wary creatures who just need to calm the fuck down sometimes.

In conclusion that is why a lot of peeps think that way of gay people, because they have inherited the ‘wary of threat to survival’ gene that screws with their accepting side. But now that you know, hopefully you can take that on board and just be like; so I recognised a supposed threat….ok, do they seem dangerous now that I think about it?....No, they are just humans like us, and they aren’t hurting anyone. Huh. Ok. Well, I guess gay people are ok.

In fact! They rule! Just like the rest of the human race! Woo!

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:54 pm
BluesClues says...

Plus, to go off of that point (which was an interesting one to make, by the way)--these days, our problem is overpopulation, not underpopulation. So these days--from a purely evolutionary/human population in animal terms standpoint--same-sex couples are not only not a threat, but actually helpful in facts of adopting unwanted/parentless children and preserving resources by not adding to the surplus population.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 pm
emeraldfox wrote a review...

This is a great piece! It's not often you see someone who is willing to legitamately defend the other side of an argument. This actually helped clarify to me why the Bible and Qur'an oppose same-sex attraction. This was written in a way that would explain the other side of the issue of same-sex marriage and attraction, without offending anyone who is a member of the LGBTQ+ community. Nice work!

A few minor grammatical, spelling, etc mistakes:
1. "We don’t always love, and that is normal, because some people aren’t born to know how to love, which is unfortunate, but at this rate just the way it is." This was a run-on sentence. Try to break it up into two sentences or use punctuation other than a comma, such as a semicolon, to eliminate a continuous sentence.
2. "But today I’m here to say, as much as I try to accept your views out of respect for freedom of speech; that ‘rational’ view can’t be as plausible as the logical explanation attributed to why our hate on gay people is merely bred from our ye olde survival instincts that have been deeply ingrained in us since the day of the caveman." This was also a run-on sentence. Try to fix that if you can. Also, the semicolon is not correct, it should be a comma because, "But today I'm here to say, as much as I try to accept your views out of respect for freedom of speech," cannot stand alone.
3. "...fancy schmancy polite snobby mammals..." should have some commas or just eliminate a few of those adjectives. It is a bit over-emphasized.
4. "In conclusion that is why a lot of peeps think that way of gay people." You should not use the word "peeps" in a formal, argumentative essay. It makes your essay seem invalid, informal, and juvenile.
5. The internal thinking in the second-to-last paragraph should be italicized.

Overall, this was a great, thoughtful, and well-planned essay. Just remember to refrain from using juvenile slang to keep your credibility! You should write more essays like this one!

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:33 pm
MooCowPoop says...

Yay!

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:43 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Hey Legible! Silver here to review your essay!! :)

*Disclaimer: This review is only a review to the technical aspects of your piece and not to it's opinions. :)

Main Points

Messenger mentioned before that this isn't an essay but more of a blog post. You say that this is an opinion essay. I agree partially with both of you. This could be counted as an opinion essay however it hasn't been structured as one.

The reason why paragraphs are so important (as everyone keeps saying) is not only because they make for easier reading but also because they provide your essay with structure. To make this seem more like as an essay there should be a clear introduction, separate paragraphs for each point that you are making (whether for or against) and a paragraph for your conclusion. I can see that you've made your conclusion into a separate paragraph so kudos to you for that. :) I can also see that you have some semblance of an introduction at the beginning but it needs to be separated as a paragraph.

This would ultimately make your essay, well, more essay like. As messenger said right now it looks a lot like a blog post.

Also it would be great if you could bring stronger evidence to back your points. Most of what you said seems mainly like musings, while that's okay, it lends less strength and credibility to your work.

Another thing you should be wary of is the mention of the bible. Why just the bible? I'm not Christian but I've noticed that most pro-gay essays bring up only the bible. There are other religions that do not accept homosexuality too, you would seem much more credible and aware of your topic if you mentioned them in other points too. What about an atheist who was homophobic? Could you explain the reasoning behind that? I think that you would make your essay much stronger if you targeted the homophobic population in general.

There is some choppiness with this essay, sometimes you create new sentences when it would have been better to make one larger sentence. I suggest you read over it and edit those.

Overall, great effort. You have an interesting voice throughout the entire thing. A little bit of tweaking and think you'l have a great result. I really hope I've helped and not just nagged :) Keep it up and happy writing!! :)

Silverlock

Legibletext says...

Thanks, I suppose because I was brought up as catholic I just drew on the bible because it is what I'm most familiar with. However, I agree with you that I should include more evidence and perhaps refer to another religion as well.

Silverlock says...

No worries! Also when including more religions or referring to the homophobic population as a whole it'll prevent people from accusing of you targeting a specific group or religion.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:38 am
Nyla wrote a review...

Hi there! Lucrezia here for a review.

calm the fuck down

First and foremost, you need to bump this up to an 18+ rating due to dropping the F-bomb.

Okay! So, you have a really interesting piece here. I liked how you approached a serious subject such as this with a touch of humor—it made it more fun to read, very entertaining. You also didn't use too much humor, either, but rather struck up a nice balance of lightness and seriousness that worked wonderfully.

I think some of the opinions stated here are very valid, and they left me thinking. Which is what an article should always do, in my opinion. It kept me engaged the whole time reading it, and it was uniquely written due to the touch of humor... overall, a really strong piece. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, there were some technical issues. Which leads me to my nitpicks:

We are all people, we are human.

Change the comma for a semicolon.

We don’t always love, and that is normal, because some people aren’t born to know how to love, which is unfortunate, but at this rate just the way it is.

Run-on sentence. Maybe change to:

'We don’t always love—and that's normal, because some people aren’t born to know how to love. That's unfortunate, but also just the way it is.'

about what the problem with homophobic people is?

This is worded a bit awkwardly.

But today I’m here to say, as much as I try to accept your views out of respect for freedom of speech; that ‘rational’ view can’t be as plausible as the logical explanation attributed to why our hate on gay people is merely bred from our ye olde survival instincts that have been deeply ingrained in us since the day of the caveman.

This is another run-on, and that semicolon doesn't work. I'd replace it with an em dash and add in some periods to the rest of the text.

In the bible

The B in "Bible" is traditionally capitalized.

just because Johnny called you a name, doesn’t mean you’re going to bludgeon him to death does it?

You don't really need the comma after "name," but there should be one after "death."

but not, but in a way

"But" is repetitive.

And that’s what animals strive for to!

Should be "too."

hopefully you can take that on board and just be like; so I recognised a supposed threat

Change the semicolon to a comma. I'd also write the text that follows it in italics.

Okay! Nitpicks out of the way, I have to say I really liked this. I think you presented your opinion in an eloquent, intelligent, and easy-to-follow way, and you did so in an entertaining manner, as well. Great work. ;)

Well done and keep it up! :D

Legibletext says...

Thanks Lucrezia! :)

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:08 am
Messenger wrote a review...

Hi, Messenger here for you, and without even going into the subject of this work, you have one major issues. You have NO paragraphs. It a huge chunk of words! And man was it hard to stay on the correct line. The first thing you need to do when you edit is chop this into a couple manageable paragraphs for easier reading.

Also, this isn't really an essay. I feel like I say this a lot to people who writes "essays" as you call it, but this is really a blog post. In all seriousness you don't bring up points for or against homosexuality, you just basically talk about why you think being gay is fine. And you have the right to do that. Freedom of speech :P But if you are going to label it as essay you need to make it much more essay-like. As of now it's just your personal feelings but no facts.

Now, as for the subject I disagree with you. Yes I am a Christian, and although some Christian think homosexuality is fine, I don't, And it isn't out of fear or hereditary genes It's from the Bible. For me the Bible is what I strive to live by each day, and man and woman were made for each other, not man for man and guy for guy. Why do you think they were made with different bodies?

Now you made a remark in this essay about survival and that basically people back then were just cavemen trying to survive by any means:

we have grown from primitive creatures to fancy schmancy polite snobby mammals who think we know what’s best for every living creature.

What are you talking about!?!? Ever seen the Great Pyramids, the Roman Colosseum, the aqueducts? People back in B.C. were actually most likely just as, if not more intelligent human beings. Please don't say otherwise.

?Have you ever thought about this: people are "homophobic" as you say it, because of natural instinct placed in a man or woman's heart since the dawn of creation? Please take my thoughts into consideration.

~Messenger

Legibletext says...

I don't mean to be rude, and you've helped a lot :) But I disagree on the fact that this is not an essay, there are different kinds of essays, and they can include personal opinon. I deliberately made this apart of the article section, which is an appropriate category to be placed under, I feel anyway. You could call this an opinion piece if you like, and that is a kind of essay.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 am
MooCowPoop wrote a review...

This is like, a totally cool essay, yo! I completely agree on your points. But that

First: please break this into coherent paragraphs!

which is unfortunate, but at this rate just the way it is.

from our "ye olde"
I suggest adding in the quotation marks.

...just maybe this was written down only because man perceived gay people as a threat...
Threat to what?

...we have grown from primitive creatures to fancy schmancy polite snobby mammals
Since this is an argumentative essay, I suggest using more sophisticated language besides this.

What I mean is, humans are kind of scaredy cats and overly weary of difference.

YWS should really have a "rant" category for writers. This is a funny essay, but is it supposed to be taken seriously, even though it is in the "Humor" category? If so, I'd suggest breaking it up into formal paragraphs, including references, and staying on topic a bit more. But whatev, it is your writing, so do what you want with it!

Happy Writing! :D

Messenger says...

I wouldn't say rant. This is different. I'd say it goes as a blog post. This is the type of thing that blogs are for.

Legibletext says...

Thanks for your review :) I know! I neeeed to remember to break up paragraphs! I always forget! Haha!

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 am
queerelves wrote a review...

Hi! I really enjoyed reading this, and I think it has a very true take on why people are homophobic. You acknowlege that homophobia is a bad thing, but you also took an empathetic view towards homophobic people (and as a queer person I can testify to how hard that is to do). Here, I think you really peeled humanity down to its core and recognized one of the only real reasons we do the things we do: survival instincts.

I only have one criticism: this piece would have flowed better and would have been easier to read if you divided up the paragraphs more.

Legibletext says...

I'm glad you understood what I was getting at, and I'll definitely take the paragraph advice on board :).

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley